As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Or at least in your sig. I'd want to watch you dominate everyone!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Okay, I think it's a bit of a grey area, but I'll post some links and take things down if a moderator yells at me.

General information: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rzhl-zB8VD-L564wmQ2pJXjfMob_z7HP/view

tl;dr: There's a league. 34 players from 15 communities (I'm representing Penny Arcade). Games are Sundays, Tuesdays, Saturdays. One month of regular season. The 13 top players go to one week of playoffs. You can watch on twitch (liarsclub).

The Hungarian setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13wHnWqTVdMPLdw7ZTs712zmfY_pOxOYb/view

tl;dr Max of 13 people. 15 roles (so every game is missing two roles). Between 2-4 factions: Mafia, Village, Lovers, Alien.

Specifics of the Hungarian setup explained for people used to Penny Arcade Phalla because I was very confused my first couple games. It's... intricate and there are lots of special rules for certain roles. Also there are a couple important rules that are hard to find or missing from the document (long):
    Important Rules:
    No private communication. This includes between Masoned partners. Mafia must vote for a kill each night but they cannot talk other than to propose and confirm kill targets.
    A role with a multi-use targeted power must use their power each night. A player may target themselves with their own power if they desire.
    If all surviving players die simultaneously, the game ends in a tie for the factions that were alive immediately prior to the deadly event.
    When a player dies, they are revealed to be either Mafia or Not Mafia. Notably, no information is given about Lover or Alien status (although it should be easy to decipher if they were Lovers since a Lover's partner will die with them).

Day and Night: Each game consists of separate day and night phases. The game starts on night 0 (also called the Eclipse). The mafia don't get a kill night 0, but other characters with powers use them.
    Each day phase there is a discussion period (with a time limit enforced by the moderators). After the discussion period everyone nominates a player they find suspicious. Each player requires 2 nominations to be a valid vote target. Nominated players have 1 minute to give a defense. Everyone then votes between the nominated players and if a majority is reached that player is executed. If a majority is not reached then the player with the fewest votes is removed from the nominations and the vote is run again.

Special Rule - Ties: If a vote is tied 3 times in a row, the game ends and a tie is declared.

Special Rule - 1 Nomination: If there is only 1 player nominated, they will give their defense and then voting will begin. Unlike normally, any player can be voted for in this
    circumstance, not just the single nominated person. If the nominated player does not receive a majority, any players who received two or more votes become nominated. Newly nominated players get their defense (the previously nominated player does not receive a second defense). The voting then proceeds normally for 2+ nominees.

Special Rule - Abstaining: A player may abstain from the vote only once over the course of the game.

The Factions/Roles
    As I said there are 2-4 factions depending on how night 0 plays out.
    At the beginning of the game, the player is assigned one role from a pool of 15
    1. Thief
    2. Regular Mafia
    3. Axe
    4. Bomb
    5. Prostitute
    6. Townsperson
    7. Townsperson
    8. Townsperson
    9. Townsperson
    10. Townsperson
    11. Police Officer
    12. Doctor
    13. Hunter
    14. Cupid
    15. Alien

The Thief - Placeholder Faction
    The Thief is an odd role, but vital to how the game works. At the start of night 0, the Thief sees the two roles that are not currently in the game. The Thief then swaps with one of those roles to play as for the rest of the game. Importantly, this means that nobody ever actually plays as the Thief, it's simply a role meant to increase uncertainty.
    Special Rule - Faction Balance: If the Thief can choose between a Mafia role and a non-Mafia role (Village or Alien), the Thief must choose the Mafia role.

The Mafia
    Win Condition - The Mafia win if only Mafia are left in the game, or if the Town Lovers are voted off (some games might not have Town Lovers!).

Special Rule - Masoned Mafia: Mafia are split between Killing Mafia (Regular, Bomb, and Axe) and the Prostitute. The Killing Mafia start off masoned, but not with the Prostitute.

The Mafia Kill
    The 3 Killing Mafia (Regular, Bomb, and Axe) must choose a target to kill each night. This is determined via private vote.
    Special Rule - Mafia Kill Tie: If the Mafia cannot agree on a target to kill the outcome depends on the number of players still alive.
    1. If there are 6 or more players alive, all Mafia are instantly god-killed and lose the game
    2. If there are 5 or fewer players alive, the game ends and a tie is declared.

Mafia Roles

1. Regular Mafia
    No additional rules.

2. Axe
    Each night (including night 0) the Axe chooses a target and whether they are Axing the Hand or the Tongue of that player.
    Axing a Hand - The targeted player may not nominate or vote during the day
    Axing a Tongue - The targeted player must turn off their camera and may not speak during the day. However, if they are nominated for the vote, they may still give their 1 minute defense.
    Special Rule - Wait for it to Grow Back: You may not choose the same target to axe 2 days in a row.

3. Bomb
    When the Bomb is killed, they immediately select another player to kill.

4. Prostitute
    The Prostitute doesn't begin the game masoned with the other Mafia. Each night they select a target. That target may not take any actions during the night. If they block any of the 3 Killing Mafia they block the Mafia kill for the night.
    Special Rule - Working Hard: The Prostitute does not get to block actions on Night 0.
    Special Rule - Honest Way to Make a Living: If targeted by the Police Officer (Seer), the Prostitute appears as Not Mafia. They still flip as Mafia upon death.
    Special Rule - And Then there Was One: If the Prostitute is the only Mafia member left, they gain the power to kill someone each night.

The Town
    Win Condition - The Town wins if only Town are left in the game or if all Mafia are dead and there is no activated Alien (See more about the Lovers and Alien factions below).

Town Roles
    1-5. Vanilla Townsperson
    No additonal rules. There are up to 5 vanilla Townspersons in each game.

6. Police Officer (Cop)
    This setup's version of the Seer. Each Night, the Cop selects a target. They learn whether the target is Mafia or Not Mafia. Specifically, this check does not tell you whether the target is an Alien or a Lover.
    Special Rule - Honest Way to Make a Living: If targeted by the Police Officer, the Prostitute appears as Not Mafia.
    Special Rule - Good to Have a Friend: On night 0--instead of their normal action--the hosts provide the Police Officer the name of a random player who would seer as Not Mafia. [This rule was made during preseason and so is not in the Hungarian Setup document.]

7. Doctor
    Every night, the Doctor learns of the target of the Mafia kill. They may elect to guard that player. This is a one-time-use power.
    Special Rule - Quiet Night If the Mafia kill is prevented by other means (for example, a Prostitute blocks one of the Killing Mafia), the Doctor does not learn of the Mafia target.

8. Hunter
    When the Hunter is killed, they immediately select another player to kill.

9. Cupid
    During Night 0, the Cupid may either target another player to become Lovers with them, or elect for the hosts to randomly assign two players to be Lovers with each other. If the Lovers are randomly assigned the Cupid gains a one-time use Seer effect. The Cupid selects a target and learns whether or not they are a Lover.
    Lovers become Masoned. If one Lover is killed, the other Lover immediately dies as well. If the Lovers started on two different factions, they become a new, separate faction.

The Lovers
    Win Condition - The Lovers win if only Lovers are left in the game or if one of the Lovers is an Alien and would have won (more on the Alien below).

The Lovers only form this faction if they started on separate factions. If two Town or two Mafia become lovers, they simply become Masoned and die together.
    Special Rule - Don't Go Changin': Lovers retain any powers they would have normally had (e.g. an Axe Lover still uses their power each night.)
    Special Rule - To Try and Please Me: Lovers will still Seer as their base role (e.g. an Axe Lover will Seer as Mafia).

The Alien
    Win Condition - The Alien wins if they are the last person left in the game or if they are voted off while activated OR if they survive the Exile phase (they're complicated).

The Alien starts the game deactivated. On night 0, the Alien chooses a Proxy (they can target themselves as usual). If the Proxy is targeted by the Mafia kill, they survive and the Alien becomes activated. If the Proxy dies in any other way (to the vote, their Lover dies, or to a Bomb/Hunter) the Alien also becomes activated. If the Alien is activated during the day, the hosts will announce that fact at the end of the day.
    Special Rule - Nice Try, Squidface: If the Alien chooses to become their own Proxy and they are voted out, the Alien doesn't become activated since they're already dead.
    Special Rule - Save me, Jebus!: If the Alien dies before being activated, the Proxy ceases to be the Proxy (that is, they are no longer saved if targeted by the Mafia kill).
    Special Rule - Oddly Specific End-Game Scenario: If there are ever only two players left, a Mafia and an activated Alien, the hosts will announce that fact.

Special Phase - Exile Phase
    If all Mafia are dead and the Alien is activated, the game enters the Exile phase and those remaining must vote for players to be Exiled. The process is the same as the regular Execution vote.
    If the players vote to Exile the Alien, the Town wins (as stated in their win condition).
    If the players do not Exile the Alien after 2 attempts, the Alien wins (as well as the Alien's Lover if such a role exists).
    Special Rule - Family Friendly: A player that is Exiled is not technically killed. Therefore, a Hunter who is Exiled does not get a kill.
    Special Rule - I'm leaving too!: Exiling one Lover will also Exile their partner.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    When does it start and what time?

Sorry if it's in the doc, on phone holding a baby

Steam profile
    edited October 2018
    kime wrote: Β»
    When does it start and what time?

Sorry if it's in the doc, on phone holding a baby

The doc is actually a little outdated looking at it, since some adjustments have been made in the preseason.

5 Games a week with 34 League participants and max 13 players a game:
    1 on Tuesday starting at 9pm EST
    2 on Saturday starting at 9pm EST
    2 on Sunday starting at 9pm EST
    Games typically last around an hour (although it's possible for the village to win day 1 if there's no Axe, Regular Mafia and Bomb are Lovers, one of them is voted out day 1 and the Bomb decides to kill the Prostitute and none of those 3 are the Proxy. Surprisingly this has not happened in the preseason so far).

This Saturday and Sunday still count as preseason (Mostly to get familiarity with the format and flag any outstanding rules issues. This is needed. In the first game I played my Mafia Lover killed me, losing us the game when we had a guaranteed tie and possible win).
    The League proper starts this Tuesday (Oct. 16th).

Sir Fabulous on

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Best of luck! It would be pretty wild if this takes off.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    That's great SirFab, looking forward to seeing you dominate!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I am actively rooting against you. :|

I wish non-specific misfortune upon your house.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Unfortunately A Very Phalla Halloween is gonna end up being ....like a delayed episode of Treehouse of Horror. So like Creepy November Phalla . I got a bit carried away and it's kind of more of a general forum game. Hopefully people will still enjoy. O_O

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    An unusually spoopy thanksgiving :bigfrown:

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If any Danganronpa-ers want to brainstorm, hit me up, could use a springboard.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2018
    Bedlam wrote: Β»

Ignore this, I put up a trailer for Eli Roth's Thanksgiving- but forgot it had nudity in it.

Egos on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: Β»
    Bedlam wrote: Β»

Ignore this, I put up a trailer for Eli Roth's Thanksgiving- but forgot it had nudity in it.

Arrive Hungry
    Leave stuffed
    THANKSGIVING

wVEsyIc.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    So, I have just about finished up planning a new phalla, and was thinking of starting it some time after Thanksgiving (Nov 26th or 27th) and going for at most a couple weeks. I know we have had a few announcements about others in work.

@Egos @cj iwakura @38thDoe or anyone else working, would I be stepping on your toes to do so?

edited November 2018
    Go ahead, Blue. Anything that I initially had in the works was too complex for my own good :) ...or to be ready anytime soon.

@38thdoe and I may have a "Forum Game" coming up, but no Phalla- but I'm guessing that's probably a few weeks away. So feel free.

Egos on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    In time you will learn the tragic extent of my failings?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    O M F G SO BUSY WITH NEW JOB

But I plan to be able to get back to working on game projects again soon. Sorry @38thDoe :hydra:

OrokosPA.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Yes, and me as well. I've just finished up some big releases at my own work and now that I have time again I'll be getting back to hobby project development. But that'll come in December, after I take a well-deserved vacation...

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Nope, nothing planned. Worse, I'm on an evening shift now, making my usual result timeframe seem very unlikely.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    "In World News today, war has ignited out in the Outlands. Tensions had been increasing between differing groups for some time now and while it is unclear what instigated the aggression, several major conflicts have broken out in the last few days. Reports have been coming in of large explosions and hosts of strange creatures causing havoc in foreign towns. Our ever-anonymous mayor does not appear to be concerned however, and in a statement released to the public, assures us the hostilities will not reach our peaceful and protected town. Despite an open offer to be interviewed, our station was not able to follow up on this statement as we remain unsure where the Mayor's secret underground bunker is. Like always, we have faith in his or her wisdom to handle this issue.

In other news, our Channel, TTN6 action team broadcast, is looking for a co-host. If you are interested please contact us at #2583-2926 and now, the weather..."

Sign up sheet to be created by next week, please let me know if anyone wants to help me host and proof over what I have. Aiming to start on Nov 26th/27th.

Admist the excitement surrounding this years secret mayoral ballot, we continue to see large numbers of refugees moving away from the war zones. Checkpoints have been set up to make sure only those fleeing the disaster are allowed to enter, while those seeking to expand this conflict are not. In a statement posted by aides, our Mayor assures the folk that "As long as I am in charge, this town we will remain neutral and safe." To prepare for the refugee assimilation, an emergency census is being sent out, please follow the instructions attached to this announcement to register.

Coming up after the break, to commemorate our Mayors last few days in office we will be looking back at his or her achievements over the last few years.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: Β»
    Admist the excitement surrounding this years secret mayoral ballot, we continue to see large numbers of refugees moving away from the war zones. Checkpoints have been set up to make sure only those fleeing the disaster are allowed to enter, while those seeking to expand this conflict are not. In a statement posted by aides, our Mayor assures the folk that "As long as I am in charge, this town we will remain neutral and safe." To prepare for the refugee assimilation, an emergency census is being sent out, please follow the instructions attached to this announcement to register.

Coming up after the break, to commemorate our Mayors last few days in office we will be looking back at his or her achievements over the last few years.

Been off the forums for a bit but I'm excited to jump into a phalla. Thanks for putting something together!

VayBJ4e.png
    Bluecyan wrote: Β»

Still looking for atleast five more people to join. Game will start after 7:00 pm tomorrow if the we get twenty people signed up.

Looking for additional people for
    This Phalla. We've had some people drop out and our reserves are out.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I can play!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    edited December 2018
    The Troubled Tidings in Threshold Town game has finished, resulting in a Masters and Coroner Victory

Bluecyan on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Hello, friends. Remember me? I actually need to remember how this all works, so let's do something simple. Relatively simple, anyways. Look, it's just another one of those Set Phalla experiments, y'know?

Set Phalla Vol. 5: Haggle Phalla

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Would there be interest in a 5-10 player game that lasts 5 days or so and where people stay in play the whole time? Something I was debating running but was uncertain if enough people would be able to commit to staying active for about a week.

Would there be interest in a 5-10 player game that lasts 5 days or so and where people stay in play the whole time? Something I was debating running but was uncertain if enough people would be able to commit to staying active for about a week.

I'm unsure on my time commitment for a few weeks or so, but I'd be interested after that.

Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I can't participate last week of March, but if it has anything to do with your avatar, I am very interested

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Hmm, sounds interesting.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I'm more in kime's boat - right this minute isn't a good time but at least theoretically, I'm interested. The new job allegedly slows down some in April.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    It's been a while...
    I yearn for mayhem!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You and what army?
    Here army is defined as 29 other people. I want to run something actually, maybe as a precursor to a less mafia driven forum game. And I could balance a game for smaller numbers. Good to see there is still interest.

38thDoE on steam

edited March 2019
    Will have sign-ups for House of [phalla] , a lightly Game of Thrones inspired game, up early next week. Just a heads up for any interested

Edit: Will be delayed a bit, got the flu unfortunately

Egos on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Heya folk, you might remember that for the last couple years someone from the PA forums has participated in Mafia Universe's Mafia Championship. Folk from a bunch of different communities get together and play mafia in a bracket-style elimination tournament. Thingyman reached out to me asking if anybody from our community would like to participate this year.

If you think that might be your cup of tea, head over their way and check out how they play games. It's pretty different than ours - they've got a rad bot, sure, but the differences run more deeply than automation. It's a very... almost more like a formalized debate sort of play? I experienced a lot of culture shock going in cold; I strongly encourage you to play a few games there if you want to participate in the championship, it'll be more fun (imo).

If there's interest, I'll kick off a thread for discussions, nominations, etc.

• ThingymanThingyman Registered User regular
    Thank you, jdark.

This year will have 187 communities participate, and it's a blast for most players. So to be clear, if you decide to go and represent Penny Arcade, you'll be competing in a tournament with players from 186 other communities, all also sending one person each.

If you want more information, PM me. I'm not sure if we're not supposed to link to the google doc in here with the info, since jdark didn't share it :D

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm baffled that there are that many communities to pull from for something like this.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Will have sign-ups for House of [phalla] , a lightly Game of Thrones inspired game, up early next week. Just a heads up for any interested

Edit: Will be delayed a bit, got the flu unfortunately

Sorry ya have to deal with that shifty character. The flu sucks
    Send the flu to the guillotine

VayBJ4e.png
    ObiFett wrote: Β»
    I'm baffled that there are that many communities to pull from for something like this.

*shrug* Every community that I've poked around in seems to have some version of mafia/werewolf. XKCD, BGG, others my memory is preventing me from remembering. Its not that unthinkable given the large amount of communities out there.

38thDoE on steam

I hang with my cool video mafia friends now!
    I've learned that there are a lot of those communities which aren't attached to a forum.
    There are also a fair number of university mafia clubs that have competitions.

It's large.