As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wife asked for a divorce

DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
I'm too hurt to even bother coming up with a throwaway account for this. But today my wife asked for a divorce and I'm just so heartbroken I don't know what to do. We both still love each other very deeply. And I think I'm in the bargaining/denial phase or whatever.

But I guess right now I'm just looking for advice and support.

There's a lot of backstory here so bare with me as I try to make it brief.

We met 4 years ago. She had come out of a 3 year relationship, and I was divorced with a 2 year old son who I had 50% of the time. She was born and raised in Vancouver and her family still lives there. I live in Toronto with my son. She's lived in Toronto for over 10 years and has always stated that she doesn't like Vancouver. About 5 months after we started dating her brother died of ALS. It was obviously very hard for her and her family. Shortly afterwards her father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So it was a double whammy. But we carried on and after dating two years we got married.

During this period and for about 2-3 years before we met she had been seeing a therapist, which was a good thing. About 3-6 months after we got married, the therapist prescribed her with a low dose of anti-anxiety medication and then her doctor went on mat leave and as far as I know hasn't come back.

I noticed a change in her personality on the medication. For the most part it's been good for her as she doesn't agonize about little things anymore. But on the other hand I notice she's become more impulsive and prone to immediate gratification. So while she was a driven and motivated individual before hand, she's gotten fairly lazy. She doesn't finish what she starts and rarely follows through on things. She eats and drinks a lot more now, and will often do things for her own immediate enjoyment without thinking of the outcome. It's been a bone of contention in our relationship, and on her end she feels that my beef about this change has caused me to change how I interact with her. Which is probably true.

Nevertheless I really value her and she values me (I think). We're great companions and we communicate better than anyone I know. About a year ago we were talking about having children of our own. And she panicked at the thought. She knows that I'm effectively rooted to Toronto because of my now 5 year old son who I share with his mom. So he's my first priority and I can't leave Toronto. But she's worried that if we have kids then she can't ever leave Toronto either to go back to Vancouver.

This discussion morphed over time to become one where she just really wants to be back in Vancouver to be with her mom. She really identifies as a Daughter and just doesn't see a future or reality where she can be in Toronto permanently without always fighting that feeling of longing. Right now she's in Vancouver visiting her family. I was there with her for a week, but came back home for work about a week ago. When I left things were totally fine. She cried when I left, we had been talking again about having a family. She messaged me as I got on the plane to tell me she already missed me. And then Wednesday she brought up wanting to live in Vancouver again. Yesterday we discussed couples therapy, and then today while still trying to work through our feelings she said she just decided, over a phone call, that the best thing to do is just divorce and she'll quit her job, we'll sell the house, she'll say good bye to her step son and fade into the Vancouver sunset.

I'm just so shocked and devastated. Could she be having a mental break down? Is it possible that she's suffering from some sort of undiagnosed bipolar disorder? Could her meds have any affect here? Am I not seeing something?

I've left out a lot of detail I'm sure but that's the best I can do. It's 2 a.m. here and I can't sleep. My son is asleep upstairs and has hockey tomorrow morning at 8. I don't know what to tell him.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I’m really sorry for your shock and upset.

I think it’d be inappropriate for anyone to speculate as to her mental state. There are so many reasons that could be factoring into her decision and all we have is this brief post to go off of.

You say ‘am I not seeing something’ yet in your post you describe some pretty major issues in your marriage.

It’s hard but unfortunately I think you just need to wait until you can talk further with her, hopefully in person.

Edit: Although it may also be prudent to seek legal advice, other posters might be able to advise better in that area.

Janson on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Sorry about that :(

She doesn’t seem like she is having a breakdown to me. She seems like she has decided your life goals are incompatible (need to live in different cities) and it would be unfair to bring kids into that impossible situation.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Speculating on her mental state is not worthwhile, we don't really have any more information for you than you have yourself, and in most ways far less so. If she's asking for divorce find a lawyer to represent you.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    Like the others, I won't comment on your wife's mental state, but what I WILL say is that her medication may be having an impact on how your wife feels and ultimately how she makes decisions. It sounds like there has been an impact for some time, and this is the kind of thing that she should have returned to her Doctor and described the symptoms to see if there was a different dose, or different medication that could be tried. Would her changing medication save your marriage? No one can know the answer to that. My wife has been on different medications for several years while they tried to get everything just right. They all had differing side affects, some changed the way that she behaved dramatically.

As someone who went through a lengthy, and at times nasty, divorce I will give you the following advice.

Be Civil. Words cannot be unsaid. You surely feel hurt, and our instinct is to lash out. Don't do it. Keep a cool head, and if you feel that you are getting upset while talking with her on the phone for instance, tell her you need to go, and get off the phone. If you care about her as much as you say you do, you will want her to be happy, even if that is not with you.

I wish you the best of luck OP.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I will tell you that one failing strategy, like if you're trying to tank your chances of working things out with her is to suggest that her decision might be caused by her medication. It's a pretty terrible thing to say and awfully manipulative. You can talk about when she started feeling this way, but it's terrible to suggest that it's the pills talking.

Look, it makes total sense that she would "identify as a daughter" (boy that is a weird way to put that) right now. Her brother died of a degenerative disease not too long ago, her father was just diagnosed with another one, and she wants to be with her mom. She wants to be with her mom, who needs her, more than she wants to be in Toronto, and that's understandable. You can't leave Toronto, and her family is in Vancouver. One of the few things in this world you can never get back is time with a dying loved one, or the chance to support and get support from another loved one during that time. It sounds like, given time to go back and forth with herself, she's decided what she really wants is to be with them while she can. She knows you can't come with her, so I can see why she would feel this way. If she's having a breakdown, it's not unreasonable to suggest it could be from the stress of watching multiple family members deteriorate because of terminal diseases practically one right after the other. That shit will wreck a person.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    if you are committed to the relationship above everything but your son, you need to present that. she is having a hard time. it sounds like, in her world, the house and your family presents an impasse to something that is currently a greater need: her family.

i think you need to offer to sell the house and let her move back to vancouver, and make sure she knows she can do it for as long as she needs - perhaps permanently. you also need to simultaneously make it clear that you want to be in her future, but you're working with her one step at a time. selling a house is a financial hit big enough to feel apocalyptic, and also symbolic of a broken relationship, and perhaps she's made the natural link between the two. you might have luck if you separate the two concepts and let her understand that you're willing to sacrifice something massive for her wellbeing, and move yourself somewhere more modest in the meantime to facilitate what may be her extended grieving process

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    If you're talking about divorce then you need to take the conversation seriously, but until someone gets served the conversation is still hypothetical. I don't want to give you false hope but despair is no good either.

I agree that you need to be able and willing to make significant personal sacrifices if you're going to save your marriage. Considering that you have a son and a custody agreement with his mother, you may legitimately not be in a position to make them. How is your relationship with your ex? Do you think you could come to terms with her about moving to BC?

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I haven't had this experience, but I do want to say I'm sorry, even though I don't know you. I agree that bringing up medication or mental issues as a point of discussion (unless she initiates) is a very bad idea. The side effects of most "anti-anxiety" medications are increased impulsive decisions and actions, but only the person can really define what is impulsive after they've recognized the action, no one can define it for them. (and I don't think that's what you're saying, either, I'm just saying it to emphasize, I guess)

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So short update, we're trying to work things out via marital counseling but the vancouver vs Toronto thing is still in the background. I think part of what is so difficult to reconcile to me is that when we're together things are typically awesome. We laugh at lot, get into these deep conversations, and communicate really well. It feels really easy and nice. So I can't reconcile that part of the relationship with the desire to leave. Communicating further I think I've discovered that part of the divorce conversation is just exhaustion. Exhaustion at feeling pulled between me and Toronto and her family in Vancouver.

When I made my original post I was in a really dark place, by myself and in grief. Right now things are somewhat better so thanks for the responses everyone. When it comes to the medication thing, that's part of my own failing. I tend to try to look for patterns in things and overthink it. And we've spent a lot of time talking about this and I think we're in a mentally better place where we understand where eachother's coming from a lot more. But there's still a lot of work to do.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Sometimes if you love someone you've got to let them go. Her plan to help her mother care for her father with Alzheimers is very rational and noble. Her parents need her in a practical sense more than you do. She also wants to have children, which she couldn't easily do if she chose a long distance relationship with you. You cannot leave your city without devastating your son. The only logical solution is to split. Of course, you are still both in love, so neither of you want that. The human heart is not very logical.

If you had a different custody agreement, you might be able to move to Vancouver. Some parents who live far apart have an agreement where one parent gets termtime and the other gets school holidays. Could that be an option?

I'd suggest an individual therapist for you as well as the couples counseling so you can work out your feelings and path from here.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If she wants to be in Vancouver right now, and you're rooted to Toronto, is it possible that temporarily living separately is something that would work for both of you? I know long distance doesn't work for everyone, and it can be terribly lonely, but it's a possibility if you're both up for it. If she feels like she has to choose between her and her family, that's an impossible choice and that sounds like it's what's guiding her desire to divorce right now. If you can figure out a compromise that works for both of you that could be a solution. (always keeping in mind there may be no solution that works for both of you)

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    if you are committed to the relationship above everything but your son, you need to present that. she is having a hard time. it sounds like, in her world, the house and your family presents an impasse to something that is currently a greater need: her family.

i think you need to offer to sell the house and let her move back to vancouver, and make sure she knows she can do it for as long as she needs - perhaps permanently. you also need to simultaneously make it clear that you want to be in her future, but you're working with her one step at a time. selling a house is a financial hit big enough to feel apocalyptic, and also symbolic of a broken relationship, and perhaps she's made the natural link between the two. you might have luck if you separate the two concepts and let her understand that you're willing to sacrifice something massive for her wellbeing, and move yourself somewhere more modest in the meantime to facilitate what may be her extended grieving process

Yes, this. If I could agree more than once I would.

I can absolutely relate with her, as I also had a very close relationship with my late mother, and when she needed me it was a given that she would come first, ahead of any other priorities. The best you can do is support her in doing what she feels she needs to do, and let her know you're there for her, even if there's going to be some distance between you two for the time being.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I think selling the house might be a bit much and if you do long distance there would need to be a lot of planning. Family caring for someone with Alzheimer's doesn't usually work out once it progresses. Professional care will be required at some point but if she can spend some time back with family and be around her dad while he's lucid it would be best.

It's important to stay in therapy because it's always possible she'd want to stay there and you two need to sort that out. It sucks but you need to listen to her and believe her.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    diss's wife's independence is crucial in her moving forward, though, and she can't be independent with hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in a mortgage she's not seeing the benefit of. my advice is also given on the assumption that he can't cover the mortgage on a single income. if there's another way, great! but in context i think it might be the sacrificial lamb that can save the relationship in the long term

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Without a plan though, just selling the house might not be beneficial. If there's a divorce involved, property will be handled. If there's no thought out solution with clear goals there's no point.

I'm not saying don't sell. I'm saying don't sell hoping that it will fix things. Without realistic guidance through a divorce or plan to relocate as a family that would be an emotional gamble on finances.

Even if the relationship becomes long distance, it might be cheaper to pay the mortgage than rent depending on the market.

dispatch.o on