As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    What’s a skip in US parlance?

Pretty much just what the word means in the dictionary, we don't have slang associated with it.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2019
    3clipse wrote: »

Pretty much just what the word means in the dictionary, we don't have slang associated with it.

edit: actually I'm amending this because I wasn't confused until you said this and now I don't know what the slang you mean is
    a skip is an actual dictionary-defined thing, not a slang

Forms: Also skipp.
    Frequency (in current use):
    Etymology: variant of skep n. (q.v. for skip in other senses).

In mining or quarrying, a bucket, box, basket, cage, or wagon, in which materials or men are drawn up or let down. Also gen., a large container for the reception and conveyance of materials or rubbish.

tynic on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I think a dump truck:

53b4ahhjfsb2.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Huh. Never heard it used as a noun. Neat!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sometimes we use it a noun AND a verb. See the bad food thread for good examples of how to recreate...

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    the best US word that would be similar would be a dumpster.
    it's a big metal dumpster that you can get put into your drive/property to fill up with a buncha debris/rubbish etc that is then taken away.

Not usually on wheels, like most US dumpsters are, though.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    my anecdotal evidence would be that the minority of folks in the US who use skip as a noun are those who work in industries where they're commonly used, or you had to order one for some reason.

otherwise we use brand names for everything

because capitalism

zkHcp.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular

Sorry, I meant, what do they call skips in the US

It looks as if both LonelyAhava and Kadith are right - dumpster brings up the right images in google search, and it also makes sense that they’d be referred to by brand names.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    In America, "skip" is sort of like "walk," only bouncier. Mostly kids do it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    My family watched so much Ground Force that we just refer to the ones you rent as skips. I have to think for a second to remember they're also dumpsters. haha

Sorry, I meant, what do they call skips in the US

It looks as if both LonelyAhava and Kadith are right - dumpster brings up the right images in google search, and it also makes sense that they’d be referred to by brand names.

ooooohhh I see what you meant, sorry

I confusingly phrased the question!

Haha: the kids have been away for the past three days. Niko, my 3 year old, is particularly observant. He’ll often tell me things like ‘you wore that necklace last week!’ and if I tell him where to look he sees things right away.

We went up the stairs to bed and he immediately says, ‘Oh mom, did you replace the lights in the laundry room?’
    Me: Yes I did!
    Niko: Oh, that’s AWESOME!

:D

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Dear thread, there was a plot I was going to buy and build a home there. I've spent considerable amount of time checking its validity in all possible palaces, but mostly just getting hyped about finally finding the right place. Yesterday we've told the owner we're buying it. Today he said he changed his mind and is going to keep the plot for himself. I feel like I've just lost a considerable amount of patience and trust for humans.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So this is mostly my fault for not being able to argue with workers once they're at my house, but the fence guys are taking my fence down today and not putting the new one up until Saturday. Maybe I can call the guy and try to negotiate it better.

Edit: Ok I did call the guy and he said OK to finishing on Friday. But sometimes he says 'ok' to me on the phone then his wife (I think) calls me and explains that what I asked for isn't happening, so we'll see.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The Citadel: now with convenient "drive up and steal" technology!

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Re-did my sons play area in our living room (we have just one big room for dining/living, so it's mostly all just his play area) with a flat 3 column Trofast from ikea and a wall mounted trofast above it. He was so happy! And he's been keeping everything so clean! <3

l5eow77t59t5.png

Note: The cat is not my son. She is my daughter, Isis, and she is very angry we filled all the storage units with drawers.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, get a registered inspector with ACHI or the other one (at a minimum). Nothing magic about GCs, and the bonus of inspectors is they may actually show up on time.
    Hire the most detail oriented person you can find. You want that hyper anal person who's a total pain in the ass. We've also passed on one house due to the inspection report and I should have passed on another.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    The Citadel: now with convenient "drive up and steal" technology!

Now, now, the people at the front of the HOA have been dealing with a missing front fence for months now, and I haven't heard any ruckus about thefts. This has been a pretty safe neighborhood for us overall!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So the skip has been collected as confirmed by my dad.

He had to leave before the aggregate was delivered and the company has told us it has been dropped so that's a massive stress done with!

Though as we're on my holiday and both sets of parents are busy we can't confirm the aggregate is alright until Saturday.

Just keep worrying it's been dumped on a neighbour's drive by accident :surprised:

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We picked up our new guttering and the new bathroom vanity, sink, and mixer tap yesterday.

Guttering is guttering, it's not that exciting. But the vanity is very nice, as is the sink, and the mixer tap.

Gaaaaah my mom’s buyer pulled out :(

Uhoh, that's only around 60% effective!

... I'll stop now

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I did exhale more quickly through my nose when I read that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Gaaaaah my mom’s buyer pulled out :(

Given that my seller pulled out as well, maybe we can come to an agreement.

Wait, was he going to buy her place or herself?

He was going to buy her house.

It’s a dilapidated house in the south of England and she needs to be able to sell it soon so she can free up enough capital for retirement (she has no pension/income) and buy a smaller, lower-maintenance place.

She’s on a fixed low income and can’t afford to repair her house in any way*, and her house is pretty much her entire savings, so it’s a real bummer for her.

*my brother fixed up her bathrooms in exchange for living rent-free with her for a while, and she also paid £5,000 to have the whole place re-wired but it turns out they did a complete hack job and she didn’t learn how bad it was until a year or so later. Also the other problems are structural at this point, so really she’s relying on it being a big enough plot of land (it’s very large for the town) to attract developers.

edited April 2019
    Hope the Cree bulbs work out for you. I'm a big fan:
    pc3wbgfamd0u.jpg

Cree recently sold their lighting division, so thought I should stock up in case the bulbs get discontinued or go to crap. Now to wait 10+ years for the current batch to burn out...

MichaelLC on
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    My wife has finally conceded. The light switches that you can control with your phone are about to be removed. It's really stupid when your light switch won't work because you have to press a button on it to wait for it to reconnect to the wifi.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    My wife has finally conceded. The light switches that you can control with your phone are about to be removed. It's really stupid when your light switch won't work because you have to press a button on it to wait for it to reconnect to the wifi.

Like.. connected tech is great, but if it doesn't work when not connected then it's not a suitable replacement for the existing solution.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Like.. connected tech is great, but if it doesn't work when not connected then it's not a suitable replacement for the existing solution.

Yup! Only thing that's never failed so far is the AC. It's nice to control that from the master bed on the second floor when the panel is downstairs.

wait, you can't control the smart light switch even from the physical location? That's a bunch of dumb.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

The folks who sold us our aircon tried to sell us controllers that were basically iPads mounted throughout the house.

I said "No thanks, I want physical buttons hardwired to the heatpump".

I don't need a handful of shitty knock-off touchscreen tablets constantly going flat and breaking and failing to connect to the wifi or whatever, just put some fucking real buttons on the wall and be done, you know?

going flat? Are they made out of soda

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My damn computer monitor has capacitive buttons and I hate them so much.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I had a keyboard that used buttons like that for the media controls, and they were super janky. I struggled with them and cursed them for years, before I finally figured out that they were covered with a protective membrane than I'd never peeled off.

After that they were fine for the three months before I upgraded to a mechanical keyboard.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited April 2019
    bowen wrote: »

Well yeah. The carbonation pushes the heat through the house.
    Just have to replace the cans every few months. They'll tell you that you need to buy name brand, but RC Cola or Aldi soda works just fine.

MichaelLC on

You've literally never heard the phrase "flat battery" in your entire life?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

You've literally never heard the phrase "flat battery" in your entire life?

In the US, batteries usually go "dead", not "flat".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    I sincerely apologise for not being American enough.

flat is a better term if the battery is rechargeable.

I once asked for "flat water" in german and got rightly boggled at.

This discussion has been closed.