As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Every post-game show sounded like a funeral last night. Season-ending injuries to a key piece of your team are just maddening.

Also: the ref that KICKS NURK'S BROKEN FOOT as he steps over him? Yeah, that guy can fuck right off.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Don’t listen to Nurk’s injury

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Every post-game show sounded like a funeral last night. Season-ending injuries to a key piece of your team are just maddening.

Also: the ref that KICKS NURK'S BROKEN FOOT as he steps over him? Yeah, that guy can fuck right off.

Yeah, I have no idea why that guy felt like he needed to step over Nurk when he was so very clearly hurt. Fuck that guy.

Nurk was probably in too much pain to actually feel anything extra from it though at least.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I read multiple compound fracture and stayed right the hell away.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    A woman has filed a police report in New York City accusing Kristaps Porzingis of rape.

https://deadspin.com/report-nypd-investigating-kristaps-porzingis-after-rap-1833694866

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was just reading about that.

I hope it's not true.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The Knicks were aware of it, and made the Mavs aware of it as well according to Woj. Whole thing sucks.

• Options
    That does not look good for Dallas especially for Cuban

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The story is getting worse and worse too. I'm not going to post it here, you can look it up if you want the details.

• Options
    Russ with the first 20/20/20 game since Wilt in 1968

• Options
    “I started wearing contacts,” Curry said late Tuesday, pulling his white “Ten in the Town” hat down on his head, creating an awning for his beaming eyes. “No, I’m serious.”

For all of his career, his life even, Curry has had issues with his eyes. He said he has a condition called Keratoconus, known in the ophthalmology field as KC. Technically, it’s an eye disease in which the cornea, normally a circle, progressively thins and takes on a cone shape. This distortion has given Curry what is known as an astigmatism, which is a type of error in the way the light bends when entering the eye. It doesn’t distribute the light equally to the retina and leads to blurred or distorted vision. It’s a genetic condition Curry was probably born with, though scientists don’t know how it is acquired.

“It’s exactly that,” Curry said when asked if he feels like he has new eyes. “It’s like the whole world has opened up.”

Does this throw his shooting off or make it better short term?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    He's apparently shooting 50% from 3 since he put them in, so if it's having any effect...

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    hahahaha holy shit

I am literally 15 minutes from heading out the door to get my first ever pair of contacts to correct my keratoconus. I got a brief look at what 20/20 vision looks like for the first time in years at the lens fitting a few weeks ago and I have spent the last few weeks excited for exactly the same change in perspective that Curry is talking about there.

Edit: can confirm, this is wild

Y’all just been out here able to see all these details this whole time, huh?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I can totally see how he could go so long without correcting it though. It’s a slow thing, my eyes have been getting worse for years and because KC can’t be corrected with glasses, there’s no huge noticeable change when you take them off. Things are a bit better with glasses on but overall vision with or without glasses is slowly worse and worse so it’s easy to not notice how bad things have gotten, until it’s really bad.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    What is this anime bullshit? Main character just suddenly reveals that he's had hidden potential this whole time cuz something in his body's been jank and he finally got it fixed, giving him a free power boost?

Fucking hack writers man.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    What is this anime bullshit? Main character just suddenly reveals that he's had hidden potential this whole time cuz something in his body's been jank and he finally got it fixed, giving him a free power boost?

Fucking hack writers man.

Switching sports, the Maple Leafs drafted a player in the 7th round back in 2013, 202nd out of 211 players picked that year. Scouting was that he was talented, but lacked drive/stamina. That summer, he was diagnosed with asthma, started using an inhaler, and won Rookie of the Year in the Swedish Hockey League. Now in his first full season in the NHL he's third in rookie scoring.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    who knew that a national medical industry that actively discouraged people from going to see doctors unless they were literally dying would have some negative consequences on peoples' lives

• Options
    Josh James was a decent pitcher.

Then he found out he has sleep apnea.

He gained like 15 mph on his fastball and now he is in the majors.

• Options
    You can say he pads his stats but I don't give a fuck.

Russell becomes the first player to average a triple double for 3 straight seasons.

That shit is impressive.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    You can say he pads his stats but I don't give a fuck.

Russell becomes the first player to average a triple double for 3 straight seasons.

That shit is impressive.

I guess I forgot that he averaged it last year too. 3 years averaging a triple double is bananas.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's definitely impressive.

But let's not pretend that there aren't a bunch of other players who could do that, too.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Eh, I don't think that many players have the right combination of genuine ability/talent/skill + selfishness

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I mean, it's definitely impressive.

But let's not pretend that there aren't a bunch of other players who could do that, too.

I don’t agree that a bunch of other players could. There are certainly players who are better than Westbrook, and I’m certainly not saying he should be MVP or anything, but he plays with a level of determination that stands out even among NBA players.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I was speaking purely in terms of talent. The vast majority of players don't have the requisite personality traits (e.g., selfishness), or it would've been done by now repeatedly. Similarly, I think the real reason this isn't being done by other players is that their teams would never let them get away with it or cater to it like the Thunder have.

• Options
    How long is the list of active players who can even average 10+ rebounds 3 straight seasons

How long is the assists list

Yeah I’m not buying there’s other dudes that could do this and don’t because they’re better team mates or whatever. They don’t because they can’t.

• Options
    If you're going to argue that other players can't do what Westbrook does and point to rebounds as the signifying metric, then I don't know what to say.

• Options
    If Harden ends up taking MVP over Giannis this year it's going to be like Westbrook's, where he got it for the numbers along with a massive usage rate but in retrospect people decide it wasn't a great decision.

People are getting rebounds from further out with players taking more threes and if you have your center boxing out other players to make sure they get the rebound I could see them picking up 10 a game.

Curry, Harden, Oladipo and DeRozan are all averaging 5-6 a game this season as guards.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I think Trae just took ROY from Luka

now at 9 games of 30+ pts and 10+ assists

• Options
    https://youtu.be/HYKolm75h8Y

This has been an open secret for years.

• Options
    I actually think the strategy is clever. Instead of multiple players fighting for a rebound the biggest guy clears the lane giving the more mobile player plenty of room to chase it down.

The first thing I criticize of Westbrook's game would be his addiction to bad shots in bad moments not stat padding.

• Options
    The idea that anyone could average a triple double is bonkers to me.

Before Westbrook 3 years ago only one player has ever done it before.

And that was in 1961.

You're going to tell me that for 50+ years nobody else wanted to average a triple double?

• Options
    The idea that anyone could average a triple double is bonkers to me.

Before Westbrook 3 years ago only one player has ever done it before.

And that was in 1961.

You're going to tell me that for 50+ years nobody else wanted to average a triple double?

I think winning was probably more important to dudes. Not to say that Westbrook isn't interested in winning, but he's clearly interested in padding his stats quite a bit.

• Options
    LeBron absolutely could have a couple of different seasons with Cleveland but it would have cost his team wins because those teams were too reliant on him scoring. If Westbrook were a better shooter I'm not sure he could average a triple double at least not this year because OKC has needed more scoring the last two months.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’m a bit surprised magic johnson didn’t get at least one season averaging a triple double.

• Options
    IIRC assists are more strongly correlated with system and usage than with scoring or winning, too. Taken to the extreme you can have a player like Rondo who fishes for assists in high-usage systems which have a questionable impact on actually winning games.

The argument that Westbrook's rebounds have some kind of transition value is also disputed by the basic mathematics and physics involved - putting two players on rebound duty means you only have three players on the other side of the court while the other team has four, and if you really want a fast break then throwing the ball and having a warm-body advantage are faster and more valuable than dribbling it down the court. I've seen analyses that argue it benefits the Thunder specifically due to their personnel, but that was before they picked up PG.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    IIRC assists are more strongly correlated with system and usage than with scoring or winning, too. Taken to the extreme you can have a player like Rondo who fishes for assists in high-usage systems which have a questionable impact on actually winning games.

The argument that Westbrook's rebounds have some kind of transition value is also disputed by the basic mathematics and physics involved - putting two players on rebound duty means you only have three players on the other side of the court while the other team has four, and if you really want a fast break then throwing the ball and having a warm-body advantage are faster and more valuable than dribbling it down the court. I've seen analyses that argue it benefits the Thunder specifically due to their personnel, but that was before they picked up PG.

I agree with this- it was pretty much their best offense in his MVP season to let him rebound and go for the one man fast break but PG changed that.

I still think there are only 2 active dudes who can get both ~800 assists and rebounds in a season though. Others could easily average it for extended parts of the season but aren’t the chunks of indestructible muscle to sustain it throughout like Lebron and Russ.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    LeBron could never average a triple double because every team he's been on is too reliant on him scoring because he's a shitty shadow GM

Butters on
  • Options
    Magic Johnson has stepped down as Lakers President:

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Magic might be tired of LeBron

• Options
    Honestly Magic did a terrible job, regardless of the LeBron situation.

This discussion has been closed.