As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Weird glitches tonight

I tracked down the new mercenaries, and the first two fights went fine. The last was level 99, and as part of the fight I lured them into a wolf den. Where they just stopped moving and took some damage. I intervened and then, after another brief fight, they stopped responding. I mean, I'll take it, but ... weird.

Then two 'impact' quests showed up, both of which I'm fairly sure I've dealt with before? And one of them was acting like we were in Athens, as opposed to Paros. Not that the impact quests are particularly robust, but... yeah.

While I was heading out to deal with one of those, a bunch of soldiers popped out of nowhere and started attacking me; one had the 'reinforcement' flag, which seemed extremely odd.

And, minor spoilers for the main story
    the leader of Paros / Naxos is showing as Phoenix. I haven't paid that much attention, but I was under the impression after the events of the story, the leader became generic.

edit: oh, and apparently while I was typing that up the game froze. Had to end the task. Strangest thing.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Kotaku is reporting that, as hinted at by posters in The Division 2, the next AC game is Viking focused, codenamed Kingdom.

I trust this over the previous rumors because Kotaku has a pretty stellar track record with AC stuff, specifically.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Vikings seem like a nice combination of a popular subject but also one not a ton of big video games have used so it makes sense to me.

It also allows them to continue using the boat tech Ubisoft has spent years since ACIII making and updating and Ubisoft seems to like reusing that sort of thing even compared to other videogame companies.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kotaku is reporting that, as hinted at by posters in The Division 2, the next AC game is Viking focused, codenamed Kingdom.

I trust this over the previous rumors because Kotaku has a pretty stellar track record with AC stuff, specifically.

I'd be very very happy if this is true.

They should make you the leader of a Viking raiding party!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    AC is fantastic at picking settings that that are perfectly targeted to appeal to me so yeah I can definitely believe Vikings is up next.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Its also just more interesting than Rome, to me.

Between the Ezio games and Odyssey we have had like 3 or 4 games set in the Mediterranean at various points in history. I don't need more of that setting.

Viking AC sounds rad and potentially weird

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Plus there can be a menu based subgame where you send vikings out to trade/pillage and the subgame is not very connected to the actual game! Origins and Odyssey (and maybe Syndicate and Unity) didn't have one of those.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    More boats yay. Keep going with the boats they haven't stopped being fun yet.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I still really, really want an AC game set in the pre-Columbian exchange Americas. You could do Inca, Aztec, the Pueblo people, or the various Southeastern US groups.

Couscous on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Vikings are a really interesting idea, but also kind of indistinct?

Like obviously they'll make it more distinct somewhere along the lines, but I'm having trouble pointing to like, a singular location (or set of locations) or time period or anything. Like, Viking occupied Dublin would probably be good? Or later settlement Iceland? Maybe Jomsborg, I guess?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Vikings

Are cool

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Vikings

Are cool
    Vikings

Is a pretty good show

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It is! I fell off it in season 3, I need to catch up

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Like obviously they'll make it more distinct somewhere along the lines, but I'm having trouble pointing to like, a singular location (or set of locations) or time period or anything. Like, Viking occupied Dublin would probably be good? Or later settlement Iceland? Maybe Jomsborg, I guess?

I'd guess sometime after the Great Heathen Army's invasion of England but before the whole country became one kingdom with norway/sweden.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Plus there can be a menu based subgame where you send vikings out to trade/pillage and the subgame is not very connected to the actual game! Origins and Odyssey (and maybe Syndicate and Unity) didn't have one of those.

I'm not a fan of those sorts of waiting menu minigames present in my single-player experiences, honestly.

• Options
    The important thing is if I will get to play a pretty viking who fucks everything that consents.
    The Danes made themselves too acceptable to English women by their elegant manners and their care of their person. They combed their hair daily … and took a bath every Saturday, and even changed their clothes frequently, and improved the beauty of their bodies with many such trifles, by which means they undermined the chastity of wives.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Gimme boxer rebellion china or a return to the holy land circa the first temple period

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

I'm not a fan of those sorts of waiting menu minigames present in my single-player experiences, honestly.

I was mostly in them for the flavor text and they can be a good excuse to write bits about the rest of the world.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I don’t know about you guys but I have the inkling suspicion that an open world melee combat RPG with mythical elements focused on ancient Greece shifting into a Viking setting will do just fine

• Options
    After how popular the gender choice and freewheeling sex options were in Odyssey I can't imagine they don't carry that forward

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »

I'd guess sometime after the Great Heathen Army's invasion of England but before the whole country became one kingdom with norway/sweden.
    The only reason I would think they might side away from that is because it has been thoroughly covered by Vikings, the show, somewhat recently

But that hasn't stopped them before so who knows

I think either that or Harald Hadrada's failed invasion would be the most likely scenarios. The latter of which would set up a Red Dead-esque last throes of the Viking era narrative

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hell yeah I am extremely down for a Viking Assassin's Creed

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    There's also a lot of cool mythological creatures to fight in Viking times!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jörmungandr

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Níðhöggr

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

The only reason I would think they might side away from that is because it has been thoroughly covered by Vikings, the show, somewhat recently

But that hasn't stopped them before so who knows

I think either that or Harald Hadrada's failed invasion would be the most likely scenarios. The latter of which would set up a Red Dead-esque last throes of the Viking era narrative

Yeah I'm basically thinking like 20-30 years after Vikings, so they're not retreading any of the events covered there. That also gives them England split between Viking and English control which is the kind of setting they always love.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    In preparation for the Assassin's Creed viking game, everyone go read Vinland Saga.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don’t like Vikings

This news upsets me

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm playing through AssOdd right now! I finally completed the Amazonian armor set, and respeced so that I no longer had the heal ability on my wheel, since the bonus lets me get health back as I do damage

But most importantly, it looks dope, and I could stare at Kassandra's crazy buff shoulders/arms all day

• Options
    I'm playing through AssOdd right now! I finally completed the Amazonian armor set, and respeced so that I no longer had the heal ability on my wheel, since the bonus lets me get health back as I do damage

But most importantly, it looks dope, and I could stare at Kassandra's crazy buff shoulders/arms all day

It's the most shameless "hey you wanna be Wonder Woman, right" shit possible and I was all the way down for it

Once they patched in the cosmetic option I made all my sets look like the Amazon set so that even if I needed different bonuses for something I could keep the style

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    they should make the boats good like in ac4, instead of bad like in odyssey

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It's the most shameless "hey you wanna be Wonder Woman, right" shit possible and I was all the way down for it

Once they patched in the cosmetic option I made all my sets look like the Amazon set so that even if I needed different bonuses for something I could keep the style

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on it being Wonder Woman cosplay until I saw the fuckin tiara

They just went for it

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Not kidding here, I have already told two friends this afternoon about the rumor the next game will be Vikings and both of them responded almost exactly the same way, which was “so I’ll get to be a giant lady Viking then, right?”

So basically read the room and don’t fuck this up Ubisoft

• Options
    If they keep giving me giant swole ladies to play as I will never play as a dude Assassin again

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Vikings are dope

I’d still like to see an AC game set in Central or Southern America, though

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    As far as I remember, didn't Ubisoft say that pretty much all their games were going to have character select options from here on out?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Gimme boxer rebellion china or a return to the holy land circa the first temple period

I’d prefer and older period like unification Qin China, the colours and armour! Big armies.

I’m ok with Vikings but I hope they do China or Japan at some point

Prohass on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    There's a substantial opportunity for Ubisoft to fight some of the appropriation of Norse mythology by white supremacists here and i sure hope they take it.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think the further away from the Mediterranean the Assassin's Creed settings get, the weirder and more stretched some of the mythology becomes

Like, in more modern stuff it's fine I guess, everything and everyone is everywhere

But you couldn't really do pre-Columbian America or certain parts of East Asia without it being really weird, could you?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'm loving the hell out of ass:odd, but their supposed adherence to historical accuracy is coming against it a lot

particularly their massive boner for leonidas, and that does not lend confidence to their ability to establish that vikings weren't really great warriors and tended to prefer murdering the shit out of monks and stealing their stuff

• Options
    The secret is AC has never been particularly historically accurate

The closest it has gotten is really AC3 and even then it wasn't super identical

It has always dealt in popular conceptions of cultures and historical figures

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    if we only get one, I'd prefer Legion. More chances to follow up on Amunet's legacy and it would be the 10th anniversary of Brotherhood.

that said, I suspect we get both: one of them in 2020 and the other in 2021, then they'll skip in 2022.