As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The true phrasing is "null-charge" anyway.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    flat is a better term if the battery is rechargeable.

I once asked for "flat water" in german and got rightly boggled at.

Do they not call beer that's de-gassed "flat?" What's the German equivalent?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It's never around long enough for that to happen.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2019

hmm, probably need to ask a native speaker, my approach to colloquial german is erratic at best. I've heard "abgestandenes Bier" as an ingredient, but that sounds too formal for this case imo. "Englische Bier" would probably get the point across, too.

With water you just ask for "ohne Gas" (without gas). You'd say sprudelnd or spritzig for fizzy, so maybe a direct antonym?
    TLDR: no idea

edit: for those interested, a flat battery in german would be called an empty battery.

tynic on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

It's never around long enough for that to happen.

Ah good point, good point.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Or @Haphazard maybe?

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Flat beer.
    You know it's not the first anymore.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

hmm, probably need to ask a native speaker, my approach to colloquial german is erratic at best. I've heard "abgestandenes Bier" as an ingredient, but that sounds too formal for this case imo. "Englische Bier" would probably get the point across, too.

With water you just ask for "ohne Gas" (without gas). You'd say sprudelnd or spritzig for fizzy, so maybe a direct antonym?
    TLDR: no idea

edit: for those interested, a flat battery in german would be called an empty battery.

boy this was the wrong post for my cold medicine to kick in while reading

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    So, I asked some friends and... well... all answers were along the lines of "just leave it open over the night".

Does, uh

Does...beer happen without at least some sort of gas in it?

Does, uh

have you sincerely never accidentally taken a swig of beer that's been poured or open too long ago and left on the table and gone flat
    because I want to live in your world

Haphazard wrote: »
    So, I asked some friends and... well... all answers were along the lines of "just leave it open over the night".

@Haphazard so it just occurred to me that this might not be a joke but a case of genuine miscommunication

3clipse wasn't asking how to order flat beer, nobody wants that (except the english)
    he was asking what do you call beer that has been left out overnight and gone flat.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I always thought it was "stale", like with bread

@Haphazard so it just occurred to me that this might not be a joke but a case of genuine miscommunication

3clipse wasn't asking how to order flat beer, nobody wants that (except the english)
    he was asking what do you call beer that has been left out overnight and gone flat.

Oh! In that case you got it covered - abgestandenes Bier.

oh dang. I thought it couldn't be what you'd say casually, because it sounds so ... precise.
    ... wait.

Haphazard so it just occurred to me that this might not be a joke but a case of genuine miscommunication

that can't be true

please tell me that's not true

oh dang. I thought it couldn't be what you'd say casually, because it sounds so ... precise.
    ... wait.

Well also it's just way too many syllables to use to describe one thing.

...wait.

Further reactions to my question:
    "Why"
    "Are you OK?"
    "Are there Brits around?"

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Haphazard so it just occurred to me that this might not be a joke but a case of genuine miscommunication

that can't be true

It is true:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cask_ale

SharpyVII wrote: »

that can't be true

It is true:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cask_ale

Huh, I've had a fair few cask-conditioned beers and I'd never have described them as "flat." Less carbonated than bottle/keg-conditioned or force-carbonated for sure, but not properly flat.

I will say that a lot of places serving from casks need to learn what "cellar temperature" is because it sure as shit is not 60 F.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I like that the house thread and the job thread have both derailed into discussions of German linguistics.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This conversation reminds me of some fake news story I heard about a while ago, where some EU country was talking about a small town in the US (that they had made up) and one of the descriptors of the citizens of this small, make-believe American city was "they like their beer warm."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Does, uh

have you sincerely never accidentally taken a swig of beer that's been poured or open too long ago and left on the table and gone flat
    because I want to live in your world

Oh no that's happened for sure. It was sort of sounding like flat beer is like a thing that's intentionally consumed?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    @honovere help us out here

Water without gas is stilles Wasser, so still or silent.
    A beer gone flat would be called "schal" which means tasteless, dull and is more or less the same as "abgestanden", stale.

In cologne you also call it Altbier, the traditional beer of Düsseldorf. The beer that tastes like it's called, oldbeer. But that is more because both towns have a longstanding rivalry.

Schal! Yes that definitely sounds more familiar.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

that can't be true

One of my friends when she was bartending in England was asked by some of fella to microwave his beer.

Jeez, I haven't heard the word schal in years. Well, unless it's on outside of the throat and capitalized.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jeez, I haven't heard the word schal in years. Well, unless it's on outside of the throat and capitalized.

There are a few German words that change meaning with capitalisation. In this case schal is actually of middle low German origin, while Schal, Like shawl is of Persian origin.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Today is the one-year anniversary of when I moved into my house. My goal for the next twelve months: install a dishwasher, plant some things in the backyard, paint the front step and the front door, try to patch up the areas where rodents can get into my walls.

Overall: good year, best house.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    So it's like 10PM and I'm trying to sleep and my wife comes up saying she hears water in the laundry room and the floor is all wet. I already know this is going to be bad. I get in there and it's clearly coming from inside the wall so I bust that shit open to find this.

1G4bcGA.jpg?1

That's after I shut the water off it was spraying.
    Spoiled for scroll.
    So I shut the water off and go to sleep. I'll deal with that shit tomorrow. I've never done any sort of construction but youtube exists now so what the hell. The plumbing was easier than expected.
    gnL8EHX.jpg?1

So I'm letting it dry out but the mildewy smell isn't going away and there was some mold, which I cleaned but I figured there was some behind the studs as well that I couldn't get to. The mold didn't make a lot of sense though because it was too old to be caused by this leak.
    mDYUQ7I.jpg?1

So I cut into the other side of the wall to clean it all out and this is what I find.
    6uIyBOV.jpg?1

A fucking dry wall nail through the washer drainage pipe, which I assume has been there since the house was built.

Anyway, some really shitty drywall work later (this was a lot harder than the pipe fix) and it's looking good enough to cover up with my washer/dryer.

FoPeoPs.jpg?1
    9bMOP4v.jpg?2
    XlOAopm.jpg?1
    AmjdhRz.jpg?1

this is the most construction I've done outside of painting. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but the wall is a little lumpy.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Holy crap that drywall nail

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Holy crap that drywall nail

I was really on the fence with pulling off that other wall. I figured it it stayed dry mold would die off so what's the point, but that smell just wouldn't go away. I'm super glad I did.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    i0ivqee43lgf.png

Reasonably, I know that at some point I need to gather up all the winter deadfall and actually mow my back yard. On the other hand, I'm kind of digging the forest clearing vibe I've got going on right now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    50-70% of my lawn is straight up dead because of how wild this winter has been

This is going to go GREAT for my clover seeding plans.

Gonna feed all the fucking honeybees.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    We got a landscaping estimate for fixing the grading on our lawns and seeding a micro-clover mix. IT'S HAPPENING.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Our back yard is chock full of dandelions and purple dead nettle. Mori’s mom wants us to dig up a couple of the latter to give to her. She was so jealous. She nearly bought some to plant in her yard, then it turns out we have a dozen of them in our lawn.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Creeks starting to get high, and we're not supposed to be getting any real let off until Tuesday. Luckily it's not raining too hard so hopefully the creeks flow rate is higher than the drainage into it. It'll break its banks on our property if it covers that area to the left, which it does every year or two.

2dqxkxmykqia.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    We got a landscaping estimate for fixing the grading on our lawns and seeding a micro-clover mix. IT'S HAPPENING.

If you don't mind, how much? My backyard has some horrifically weird sloping issues I'd love to get flattened out, and I want to redo the backyard into all clover.

96058.png?1619393207
This discussion has been closed.