As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i don't even know where to begin with night training.

like, I know that I need to cut the sippy first.
    And then maybe put a stop time on drinking.
    But that will require her daddy to not panic because he thinks she's going to dehydrate if she doesn't have a drink readily available forever.

But like, we're getting ready for bed "ellie, do you need to go toilet?"
    No mommy, I just pee in my diaper.

SIGH

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I took the baby in for her 4 month appointment. Due to being born premature, she's still at the bottom of the growth curve, but she's catching up! She moved up in weight from 3rd percentile (for term babies) to 10th percentile in two months. Length and head circumference are still low but slowly increasing. Keep chunking up kiddo! Developmentally we're right on target for her gestational age and the doctor thinks she should be fully caught up with her peers by 6 months. We also got several booster shots which makes for a very sad girl.

Spoilered for being a photo of the saddest baby in the entire world
    jfwhk2c8j8wm.jpg

Chaya: "Baby, cry! Need help!"

She still signs. I love this little kid so much.

In one of the mishlach manot (purim gift bag things) from a couple weeks ago we got a little red paw stamp. I snuck up on her and stamped her hands and her eyes widened and she said "a clue! a clue! Two clues!" I didn't even remember I'd showed her that. My <3

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife just decided that Luke (11 months) is done breastfeeding. I didn't need to ask why because I heard her yelling from the other room when he bit her nipple. Yup, you finished son.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Both my kids bit me hard enough to draw blood!

Niko used to pinch and scratch the hell out of my breasts, too.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hevach wrote: »
    Actual conversation:

Doctor: "Ok, the good news is that it was NOT a heart attack and you can go back to work tomorrow. The bad news is your blood pressure was 240/190 when you got here and and it's sitting at 150/100 now. That's almost as bad. Are there any sources of stress in your life you're dealing with?"
    Sam: "I WANNA THROW TONY'S WET DIAPER AT DADDY'S DOCTOR!"
    Me: "Maybe a couple."

The first thing you should do is get an automatic BP cuff for home use and check it daily. Keep a log and bring it to you primary doctor. You want to check it at the same time every day for accurate trending.

High BP will fuck you up in the long term in irreversible ways, but most people don't get symptomatic so they ignore it until the damage is done.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    i don't even know where to begin with night training.

like, I know that I need to cut the sippy first.
    And then maybe put a stop time on drinking.
    But that will require her daddy to not panic because he thinks she's going to dehydrate if she doesn't have a drink readily available forever.

But like, we're getting ready for bed "ellie, do you need to go toilet?"
    No mommy, I just pee in my diaper.

SIGH

We just cut Mallory off from diapers cold turkey one night. Put her in bed sans diaper, underwear, or pants so she didn't feel like she had any diaper on, then went on and woke her up every few hours to ask if she had to pee effort the next week or so. We had 3 or 4 accidents but eventually she got the hang of it and we haven't had any accidents since (probably about 6 months now). We make sure to wake her up at 11 as we're going to bed and have her go pee, but she's been pretty good about getting herself up by herself, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    We we're lucky in that our kids got tired of wearing diapers. So we made the deal that 3 dry mornings and we'd try no diaper. That worked for both and now it's rare that either has an accident.
    The other things to consider: no drinks other than a sip of water at toothbrush time for the last hour. Have to go pee right before bed/story time. If they do have an accident,don't be harsh, just encourage them to do better next time.
    Also, don't be afraid of going back. Our daughter has refused the pee before bedtime the last two nights, which means she has to wear a diaper.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I think I've posted this before. At least in the book thread, but holy shit reading about kids living in bad environments (even fictional ones), and descriptions of the joy they find in the smallest things, just fucking kills me. I'm not sure if I can read this book at work if they keep diving into this stuff.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I lucked out in that my kids just stopped going in their diapers at night before they were even potty trained. Actual daytime potty training has just been the worst, though

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Brody wrote: »
    Man, I think I've posted this before. At least in the book thread, but holy shit reading about kids living in bad environments (even fictional ones), and descriptions of the joy they find in the smallest things, just fucking kills me. I'm not sure if I can read this book at work if they keep diving into this stuff.

Is that how I get my kids to keep finding joy in the smallest things? Because I really miss that...

edited April 2019
    The wife and I were planning a vacation last night. We originally wanted to do a cruise but that looked like a huge hassle whichever kid we brought with us. Therefore we changed our minds and are driving down to Cannon Beach in Oregon.

So my question to you all is; which kid should we bring? Abigail is 3.5 now and Luke is going to be turning 1 just before we go. Pros and cons to either choice. Naturally the best choice would be leave them both with grandmas, but I don’t think she could handle them both even with Abigail in preschool.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I've heard with a lot of cruises, they have a daycare sort of deal where you check your kid in in the morning, and then when you come back with the ticket they give you back a slightly more tired one in the evening.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah hmmm, I've been dreaming of a baby cruise for like a year, what's the downside?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The wife and I were planning a vacation last night. We originally wanted to do a cruise but that looked like a huge hassle whichever kid we brought with us. Therefore we changed our minds and are driving down to Cannon Beach in Oregon.

So my question to you all is; which kid should we bring? Abigail is 3.5 now and Luke is going to be turning 1 just before we go. Pros and cons to either choice. Naturally the best choice would be leave them both with grandmas, but I don’t think she could handle them both even with Abigail in preschool.

We took our youngest to the beach when he was 3 and his reaction to the ocean was absolutely delightful. Bring the 3 year old, you will cherish the look of wonderment forever. Plus watching the waves wipe him out was fricking hilarious.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Overnight training is unfortunately, more so than day training, about their physical growth.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

We took our youngest to the beach when he was 3 and his reaction to the ocean was absolutely delightful. Bring the 3 year old, you will cherish the look of wonderment forever. Plus watching the waves wipe him out was fricking hilarious.

Yeah, first time we took my daughter to the Oregon coast was...shortly after she turned 4 probably? She loved it, especially exploring the tide pools and such, and building a good castle. 3 is definitely old enough to appreciate the event a lot, even if 1 is easier to keep an eye on.

We all went to the park today, and then for ice cream. My son said he really wanted to go to the play area in the mall. This isn't because the play area is good, but because he can get soft pretzels there.

But he's due for his second measles vaccine in a month and my daughter won't have her second for at least another year and a half

so lolno you can't go play in the mall play area, you'll have to settle for outside like when I was a kid

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Yeah hmmm, I've been dreaming of a baby cruise for like a year, what's the downside?

We just got back from a Disney cruise with a 13 month old. I can't recommend it for someone with a child that young, unless you can be super chill with all kinds of disruptions.

We did take advantage of the daycare for 2-4 hours each day, which certainly helped. However, one of us was stuck in the cabin each night starting at 7 as our son went to sleep. The rest of the time, it was just an issue of being tethered to a young and often fussy child which made it hard to enjoy the amenities and excursions. A beach vacation would likely have been much nicer for us, when presumably you'd have more quiet, more space to relax, and more ability to maintain a schedule for the kid.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I scheduled Lily's birthday party for this weekend so it could have time to invite her classmates and so the weather could get a little better. Now, usually with these things you can expect that 50-75% will RSVP so when the venue asked how many kids would come I said, probably 18-20. (She has 22 kids in her class, plus 5-6 cousins were likely to come.) I guess it's a testament to Lily's popularity that 28 kids responded YES. Oh jeez that's going to be a big party.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Aww, that’s so awesome!

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

We did a beach holiday a while back with one kid aged 2-and-a-half and one about 9 months old, and it was fine. (Vancouver Island, so same sort of beaches as oregon, perhaps?) Ollie liked the beach very much:

3mSeSpo.jpg
    Lts1lFt.jpg
    h3nySA0.jpg
    FN7A6FQ.jpg

Nicholas was a bit more of an observer at this point, but he did okay as well:

kyXi1wF.jpg

I love pic #2! Nothing cuter exists in this world. (Well at least until the next parent posts something cute.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    2019-04-05%2007.40.38.jpg
    Someone is four!!!

@Janson that is the cutest thing in the world. Nothing shall ever be cuter than that big FOUR year old.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I'd forgotten it was possible to take a picture of a four year old that wasn't 1. Partially blurry somewhere/everywhere because he's in motion, or 2. "Smiling" like the first time you meet a loan shark

Very cute kid! And jealous of those figures

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

We just got back from a Disney cruise with a 13 month old. I can't recommend it for someone with a child that young, unless you can be super chill with all kinds of disruptions.

We did take advantage of the daycare for 2-4 hours each day, which certainly helped. However, one of us was stuck in the cabin each night starting at 7 as our son went to sleep. The rest of the time, it was just an issue of being tethered to a young and often fussy child which made it hard to enjoy the amenities and excursions. A beach vacation would likely have been much nicer for us, when presumably you'd have more quiet, more space to relax, and more ability to maintain a schedule for the kid.

We just did a Disney Cruise last year with a 3 year old and a 1 and a half year old. We went with family though and they were able to watch the kids while we went out and did things. I would NOT recommend doing a cruise without other family that can help out and watch the kids so that you and your spouse could go out by yourselves.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    I'd forgotten it was possible to take a picture of a four year old that wasn't 1. Partially blurry somewhere/everywhere because he's in motion, or 2. "Smiling" like the first time you meet a loan shark

Very cute kid! And jealous of those figures

Apparently they're Japanese import versions, which doesn't really affect anything other than the packaging. I guess most amiibo are sold out in the US?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My 4 year old and my 7 year old both have friends coming over for playdates at the same time this afternoon. The friend of my 4 year old has an older sister who's in the same class as my 7 year old and his friend, so she might be coming over too - it depends on whether some activity is canceled or not for her. My wife is leaving for work about 10 minutes before the kids show up and thinks I'm insane for setting these up on the same day. Tomorrow morning she leaves town on a medical mission trip and won't be back until the following Sunday, so I'm solo with both kids for 9 days.

Thoughts and prayers, please.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

We just did a Disney Cruise last year with a 3 year old and a 1 and a half year old. We went with family though and they were able to watch the kids while we went out and did things. I would NOT recommend doing a cruise without other family that can help out and watch the kids so that you and your spouse could go out by yourselves.

Heh... I went with my two brothers, their spouses, their three kids combined, of of the spouses set of parents and my parents. The sum total of familial care we received was staying in our room for an evening while we did a fancy dinner. So maybe that's part of my caution. I expected more care, but I think my parents had a lot of demands on their attention, and perhaps other people's parents would as well in that environment. I kept wishing we had all rented a beach cabin somewhere, because I think without a million activities going on all day long, people will be more tempted to babysit.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I love pic #2! Nothing cuter exists in this world. (Well at least until the next parent posts something cute.)

Strike the earth!

My son's birthday is in a month and I haven't the foggiest idea what to do for him. Last year it all came together at literally the last minute, but we can't rely on that kind of luck again and we haven't even picked a date for my mom to visit and ugh, planning for this stuff is the worst. I know his friends' parents just rent big rooms in expensive places but yeah I'm not doing that. I don't feel like choosing between him having a birthday party and going to school.

We did a combined birthday party for the kids’ 5th and 2nd birthdays, which might be one of the only parties we do for them. We definitely encourage them to choose a day out or a meal out instead. Tomorrow we are having Mori’s parents over for cake and so far that’s all we have planned!

Anya’s birthday is 4/20... and for those of you who don’t already know, I work for a cannabis company. It’s all hands on deck on that day and all vacation requests are denied... but luckily I think I am the one employee exempt from that rule, as I’m the accountant.

We've never done a big party for our kids, we've done day trips instead with the occasional Really Big Deal trip, (11th birthdays to Universal for Harry Potter, we are kicking around ideas for 18 but still a few years to go for the first kid to hit that). We did do one in-home party for my oldest son a while ago and just a couple of his cousins and the neighbor kids came and even that was such a pain in the ass that we didn't do it again. To be fair mom and I are not the social butterfly type at the best of times.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Our daughter (who will be 9) is super pushing for a Harry Potter party with sleepover on her next Birthday.

What could possibly go wrong?

Ughhhhhhh

So my son, who is almost 6 now, has a big stuffed Llyod from Ninjago that he loves because he's obsessed. He's been insisting since he got it last weekend that he wanted to bring it in for show and tell today. I've been strongly discouraging it on the grounds that I don't want it to get dirty or damaged or lost or taken or something (it's a pretty small school, 'taken' is not really a legitimate concern right out of the gate), but really I'm just scared that kids that age think stuffed toys are stupid and then he'll be really sad about it and it will stand as a reminder for him that he is kind of awkward and it's the most awful feeling to be so worried about that and feel like I can't do anything if it happens.

I fought myself back on it so I didn't prevent him from taking it in, but I'm so worried about it. I know I'm just projecting my own awkwardness with every last little aspect of life and probably it will be fine, but just ughhhhhhhhh

Should I have just said he had to leave it and take something else? Do other parents worry about this kind of thing?

It might vary by region I suppose but my youngest son is 7 and they still have 'bring your favorite stuffed toy' days for special rewards and there hasn't been any social problem whatsoever. Kids that age love stuffed animals! I think that kind of toy has actually had something of a resurgence in the past few years considering you can get a stuffy of just about anything now.

If it makes him happy, that will come through.

I think it will be fine. The larger concern is if he loses it and it gets replaced.

qtrbv2bhg0e7.jpeg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It might vary by region I suppose but my youngest son is 7 and they still have 'bring your favorite stuffed toy' days for special rewards and there hasn't been any social problem whatsoever. Kids that age love stuffed animals! I think that kind of toy has actually had something of a resurgence in the past few years considering you can get a stuffy of just about anything now.

If it makes him happy, that will come through.

This. My son is in second grade and will be 8 next month, and his class still had bring your favorite stuffed toy days a couple of times this year.

The only problem my son has had with other kids along those lines that I'm aware of, is occasionally having to put up with someone insisting that earrings are for girls and why is he wearing girl jewelry when he starts a new activity somewhere. It's definitely tough to hear about when it does happen, but by now he understands that some people believe very dumb things sometimes and that the best thing to do is just ignore them.

Seems to have gone fine? Apparently the group was small today, and he still seems pretty excited about the toy, so I'm going to consider it good

I really need to chill out

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I do the same, sometimes, and my wife has to remind me to chill. It's 90% me projecting my own insecurities on him.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    djaQSBL.jpg

For Boops birthday tomorrow we're going with a Paddington theme.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
This discussion has been closed.