As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited March 2023 in Games and Technology
THIS..is the new Legend of Zelda:

Njv1agC.gif

Well, not quite. But it is pretty close. Coming to Nintendo Switch in Spring 2019 is Cadence of Hyrule - Crypt of the Necrodancer ft. The Legend of Zelda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYd_pph6RnI

As you might be able to guess from the name, this is a new Crypt of the Necrodancer game from the original developer Brace Yourself Games with Legend of Zelda characters, environments, enemies and of course music. It's also pretty significant since Nintendo is handing the reins of one of its most treasured franchises to a Western indie developer. Exciting times!

If you're looking for a more traditional Zelda experience - don't worry, Nintendo got you covered. Coming to the Switch in 2019 is a remake of the Game Boy classic Link's Awakening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U-_XfDGgDw

Details are scarce at the moment, but other than the unique new visual style, this seems to be a fairly faithful remake of the original.

Speaking of Link's Awakening, this gives me the opportunity to share my favorite Zelda easter egg:

Zelda-Links-Awakening.jpg

In Link's Awakening, sprinkling Magic Powder on a Buzz Blob transforms it into a non-hostile version that you can talk to. In the original German Game Boy version, a transformed Buzz Blob can say some..interesting things, including "Nie ohne Kondom!" ("Never without a condom!") and "Gib mir deinen Saft, ich geb dir meinen!" ("Give me your juice, I'll give you mine!"). These were later changed to more harmless phrases in Link's Awakening DX.

Oh yeah, there's also some other Zelda game on the Switch, called Breath of the Wild. If you haven't played it yet -

HarshMetallicAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Sterica on

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I like that gif at the top.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I want to play Cadence as the main gameplay gimmick seems a bit stressful. I mostly just want to hear the music.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Moblin skeletons that kick me off a cliff i just spent 10 minutes climbing are the worst.

steam_sig.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Second playthrough of BotW done. Took me about 75 hours, half the time of my first playthrough. I didn't explore every nook and cranny, but I still did quite a lot (92 shrines, got every memory, about 180 Korok seeds). I could still remember the solutions to most puzzles, so that definitely cut down my time quite a bit.

And now, as a nice palate cleanser, I'm gonna watch Schindler's List for the first time. Fun times!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I thought I was decent at Zelda combat, but YouTube just spat this video at me and it's a mix of 'I didn't know that was possible' and 'I didn't even think to ever try that'.

It's also over a year old so sorry if you've seen it before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmMn6Qaq3g

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    And now I’m wondering if you can magnesis those blocks out of the floor and either trap the drone or just squish it…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You can lift them!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    You lift them to make barriers to block lasers and the whirlwind attack thing, but they don't fully come out of the ground so you can't use them as weapons.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    You can make him jump, too.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

^^'

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Neat, I know about most of those things (execution is another matter), but I specifically am impressed by the "hit the metal block with a shock arrow" move and deflecting the spinning laser part.

Dropping chu jellies in combat became part of my run-away strats later in my playthrough.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You lift them to make barriers to block lasers and the whirlwind attack thing, but they don't fully come out of the ground so you can't use them as weapons.
    This. Also one or two of those arenas have water so you can use the ice app to create barriers in that fashion to block the same attacks.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    My hand to God, I thought those final lasers were specifically immune to being parried because I could never make it work.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize you could use the chute to float up above the spinny lasers

The timing on the targeted lasers was more unforgiving than the ones out in the world, so I mostly just used stasis and wailed on them when they go to that point.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I didn't know about chute until this thread, I just figured you ran out of range and shock arrowed them in the face until they stopped.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I didn't know about chute until this thread, I just figured you ran out of range and shock arrowed them in the face until they stopped.
    It's so good that people are still discovering things about this game. Like, not in the terrible sense of "I didn't know this thing and wasn't able to beat the game as a result." It's just... extra shit that's fun or an alternate tactic.

What a game Breath of the Wild is. Worth the wait.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's so good that people are still discovering things about this game. Like, not in the terrible sense of "I didn't know this thing and wasn't able to beat the game as a result." It's just... extra shit that's fun or an alternate tactic.

What a game Breath of the Wild is. Worth the wait.

To be fair, I only bought the game in like December :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Could still be a mistake. They may have forgotten to remove the erroneous listing or didn't even realize it was out there. They sure know about it now, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    To soft carry the discussion from the old thread over,

The first time I beat Link's Awakening so many years ago, I encountered a softlock on the ending. Link went up to the Wind Fish, and it was making its noise, and the game just... stayed like that indefinitely.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    To soft carry the discussion from the old thread over,

The first time I beat Link's Awakening so many years ago, I encountered a softlock on the ending. Link went up to the Wind Fish, and it was making its noise, and the game just... stayed like that indefinitely.

I don't know how to tell you this, but...you are the Wind Fish, Henroid. Wake up. We're all waiting.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Champions Ballad plateau stuff is a lot easier when you ignore how they want you to play it and instead just bombard the enemy camps with triple arrows.

Especially the cold weather camp, that was immensely satisfying to just plink those dudes from the mountain peak.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2019
    I'm not sure I want to play Cadence as the main gameplay gimmick seems a bit stressful. I mostly just want to hear the music.
    There is a character in Crypt that lets you outright ignore the rhythm mechanic, although the mechanic itself just sets the tempo for the gameplay. Missing a beat doesn’t penalize you besides missing your action for that moment in time, unless you’re specifically one of the super hard mode characters that die when you miss a beat.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If they do it by character though, odds are Zelda and Link won't have the "bard" ability.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Finished Champions Ballad tonight, finally! After I beat the game I knew I wanted to let it breathe a bit, and the 2 year anniversary was just the ticket. Returning to it really hammered home just how special this game is. At every turn there was something clever or funny or sweet and I was smiling the whole time. And the prize you get at the end just really busts the game wide open, which is a perfect reward at that stage in the game.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I never played any of the BOTW DLC. Was any of it worth it?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

All of it, if you enjoyed the game at all.

The trials of the Master Sword tests your battle and strategic skills. I unashamedly used a guide and had a blast. Getting the fully powered Master Sword with high durability is great.

Ballad of the Champions adds multiple shrines, mostly puzzle-based, and a new dungeon. Very fun, but the first half can be challenging and frustrating. Again, no shame in using a guide.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I finished it recently. I think so!

The Sword Trials is genuinely quite hard, at least on master mode. Possibly to the point of being frustratingly so. But it's a fun challange none the less, if a bit gameable (You cant take gear in, you can carry buffs in, so go in with a 30 minute attack buff is practically mandatory). The eventual reward (Master Sword in permanent 60 damage mode with a massive boost to it's durability) Is real good, especially in Master Mode.

Master Mode is a bit of a mixed bag - Gold Enemies are definitely a bit too common, and very hp sacky, and the regen kicks in way too fast. On the other hand, the sky octoroks are cool and add some spice to exploring, the added chalalnge early on is nice, and at least Gold Lynels actually give a reason to engage in the silly Ancient Armor + Bladesaw + attack up 50% shennagins. I think i overall like it, though i'd have prefered a general increase to the amount of enemies and some other tweaks than just "here are hp bags".

Ironically, due to the massive amount of Silver and Gold foes, earning cash becomes very easy - you bag overflowth with gems. A lot of the EX gear added seems also to have been added with Master Mode in mind - getting Major's Mask and... i cant remember the name, but it's either Phantom or Dark Knight armor early on really helps. Probably complete overkill when you're not in master mode.

The Champions Ballads are all pretty neat, and the end reward is very cool. a couple of the Phantom fights are a little irritating - i actually had to go look up how you were supposed to do one of them. But the challanges are fun to figure out, the one hit obliterator segment is very fun, and it adds a 5th divine beast to explore - and the final boss fight and final reward are just <3<3<3

Overall, i dont regret buying the game for a second time on the switch just so i had an exscuse to buy the dlc - it was money very well spent.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Def worth.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    I bought all the DLC, tried the Sword Trials, got irritated with how cheap it is (Lizalfos knocks you in the water haha you're fucked have fun starting over, taking half an hour to get back to this same spot just for the same thing to happen again), put it down and never went back. Really soured me on preordering Nintendo DLC. I don't need kaizo bullshit in my Zelda. The base game is great but the DLC can get fucked with a rusty spoon.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    That was... really not my experience at all. The first trial is by far the hardest of the three, and i definitely fucked up and got frustrated with needing to restart one or two times, but i cant ever remember getting Kaizo-trapped by any of the levels.

PLus, once you get any depth in, you usually have Fairies on hand so getting splatted is okay. Honestly, if anything, it was enemies with spears that were the biggest peril. Jerks >=(

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I definitely remember one level specifically, in the first trial.
    It's a room full of water, on those Waterworld floating platforms. There are 2 lizalfos on either side of the central platform, and a moblin. The moblin will immediately spot you upon you teleporting in, and will alert the lizalfos if you don't immediately whip out your bow and snipe it dead. The lizalfos, in master mode, are the fully upgraded white version with "way too fucking much" health. Between the water (they can swim in it and you can't fight in it), the regenerating health (cuz you can't hit them when they're swimming), and the fact the white versions do too much damage and have too much health, if both these lizalfos are on you, well... good luck. Just fighting one is a horrible pain considering what happens if you accidently knock it into the water.

It's also the simplelist room if you know it's coming and are willing to exploit a bit. Headshot the moblin right off the bat. Then use the exploit wherein you backstab a monster, then while it's on the ground you get behind it again. It pops up, does a 180 to see who hit it, and you can do another backstab. Repeat until dead.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's a room full of water, on those Waterworld floating platforms. There are 2 lizalfos on either side of the central platform, and a moblin. The moblin will immediately spot you upon you teleporting in, and will alert the lizalfos if you don't immediately whip out your bow and snipe it dead. The lizalfos, in master mode, are the fully upgraded white version with "way too fucking much" health. Between the water (they can swim in it and you can't fight in it), the regenerating health (cuz you can't hit them when they're swimming), and the fact the white versions do too much damage and have too much health, if both these lizalfos are on you, well... good luck. Just fighting one is a horrible pain considering what happens if you accidently knock it into the water.

It's also the simplelist room if you know it's coming and are willing to exploit a bit. Headshot the moblin right off the bat. Then use the exploit wherein you backstab a monster, then while it's on the ground you get behind it again. It pops up, does a 180 to see who hit it, and you can do another backstab. Repeat until dead.

Yeah, that room convinced me I didn't need the full Master Sword on Master mode. A room that requires an exploit to complete just feels like bad design.

It's fine on normal, it's just the combination of the trail and the stuff they added on Master mode.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »

Yeah, that room convinced me I didn't need the full Master Sword on Master mode. A room that requires an exploit to complete just feels like bad design.

It's fine on normal, it's just the combination of the trail and the stuff they added on Master mode.

That room i'll fully agree is real dumb, and only really doable with the exploit/saving all the best weapons for it. Not a single argument there.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, having done the whole thing on master mode, I feel like that's the only objectively horrible room. It's the big reason the first trial is the hardest, the other being that the weapons you get just plain suck for the upgraded master mode enemies. The second and third are actually easier because they give you proper weapons in them. And the third is really easy as long as you find all the ancient arrows. I think there's 9, and you really want a minimum of I think 3 or so. And the rest are for either accidental misses, or just overall "get out of jail free" cards that will erase any enemy you want.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    For what it's worth, having done the whole thing on master mode, I feel like that's the only objectively horrible room. It's the big reason the first trial is the hardest, the other being that the weapons you get just plain suck for the upgraded master mode enemies. The second and third are actually easier because they give you proper weapons in them. And the third is really easy as long as you find all the ancient arrows. I think there's 9, and you really want a minimum of I think 3 or so. And the rest are for either accidental misses, or just overall "get out of jail free" cards that will erase any enemy you want.

Hmm, i must have missed 3. I just used mine to obliterate the lynels and the flying guardians. Probably unncessary for the lynels, but very funny.

Do agree you're right on that being the only objectively horrible room. There's some tough/annoying rooms (The dark room with the fire breathing Lizfalos, and the one with the Silver enemies stick out in the third trial). But that was the only "....rrrrrreallly?". I think i still one shot it, but i knew what i was getting into.

(Also beat the entire thing on Master Mode, first time ever actually doing it)

• dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Ummm ... I cheesed that room (in regular mode mind you) with bombs. Yes, with bombs! Once you snipe the first guy you can bomb the other two into the water. Then I used bombs to keep them in the water and disoriented. I took a HOT MINUTE (aka long as hell) but I eventually whittled down their health enough to kill them without them ever getting back on the platform. Granted that strategy will NOT work in master mode (because of regenerating health) but I'm NEVER going to play in master mode so ... yeah. Then again if you're up to the 'challenge' of master mode, in general, you should have enough skill to get past that ... I mean ... what are you playing in master mode for if NOT for a challenge.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Champion's Ballad is about 10 more shrines and an extra dungeon, with some cutscenes that flesh out the Champions much better and extra quests involved too. The shrines are some of the best in the game, I'd wager!

I'd already paid for it to get access to some of the extra features while playing the base-game (DLC costumes, the map tracker thingy, etc.), which were really nice, but they don't justify diving back into the game to play with. Having Champions Ballad waiting for me to come back to was awesome, but it would be hard to say that is worth the $20 on its own.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Another thing that might help with that room is to avoid completing the weapon "combos." Like when you attack with a sword, after a few swipes you get that big hit that knocks the enemy way back? Don't take that swing. That's the one that typically knocked them into the water.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I may have to stop my personal boycott of Nintendo and buy a Switch for the Link's Awakening remake.

Another fun glitch with the original Link's Awakening, if you open the map at the same time you do a screen transition you will appear on the next screen at the point you left the previous one. This mostly results in you getting stuck and needing to reset the game but there are some spots where you can skip ahead.

This discussion has been closed.