As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wil Wheaton Yet Again

LemonsLemons Registered User regular
Can I just say it's really ironic that a forum dedicated to a comic in which the cast swears constantly is hyper-sensitive to insults? Even weirder when those insults are levied at a public figure, and not other members on the forum?

Also "SJW" is not an insult it's a descriptor. It stands for "Social Justice Warrior" which Wil certainly is, and it's likely a title he'd wear proudly. Anyways lets have another go at this, where I will attempt to remove the insults, but where the mods will probably still nab me on a technicality because I'm guessing they are very pro-SJW themselves and likely see Wil as a Christ-like figure (he left Twitter for our sins).

I'm bringing this up here because my first ever exposure to Wil Wheaton was actually through Penny Aracade, not Star Trek. I've watched a handful of episodes of TNG, but never encountered the character of Wesley Crusher, nor do I think I'd remember the character if I did. No, my first exposure was through Penny Arcade. Can't for the life of me find the exact comic, but I remember he appeared and said "don't be a dick"...seemed like a phrase I could get behind, and he went up one peg in my book. Since then my estimation of the man has only gotten precipitously worse.

I was exposed to his "acting". I don't know if it is acting. He seems to play the same character in everything. In "The Guild" webseries he plays a smug alpha-nerd...then in "The Big Bang Theory" he plays a smug alpha-nerd. Is that all he can do? I guess I wouldn't mind, but I don't think he even does it well. At the time this prompted me to do further research on Wil...exposing that his only mainstream role ever was basically just TNG...and he's been parlaying that into a "career" ever since. This made me hate him quite a bit, as it just felt like he's been coasting off one moderate success his entire life.

After I was already soured on Wil because of his acting, he then exposed himself as a huge SJW. First off he left Twitter in protest...a protest sparked from Alex Jones NOT being banned...so basically Wil is pro-censorship. Ironically Jones was banned soonafter making his little protest a moot point. He then fled to Mastodon, where he actually found out he wasn't SJW enough and was run off the platform for supposedly being anti-trans, which was hilarious. That was the last I heard for a while.

Now we've reached Wil Wheaton: Endgame...and he has snapped away the last half of the shred of respect I had for him. Despite being "done with social media" apparently Wil doesn't consider Facebook to be social media...because he's still active on that platform...and he comes out with a hot take on Pewdiepie. Basically Facebook recommended a Pewdiepie group to him and this prompts him to call Felix a bunch of means names which I can't repeat here because of overzealous modding...which to me harkens back to J.K. Rowling's similar hot take a while ago where she called Pewds a fascist...so basically Wil is about as and out-of-touch as Rowling, which is actually fitting because both of of their careers seem to have devolved into full-time virtue-signaling.

At any rate...Wil just seems like a terrible guy. His "don't be a dick" slogan seems bitterly ironic at this point, and should no longer be associated with him, because such a phrase has become hypocritical coming from him. I don't know why we are supposed to like or respect this guy...he is among the many D-List celebrities that nerddom is supposed to adore because they happen to play DnD...oh and he was in a show once. Nuts to Wil Wheaton I say.

So what about you guys? Approve of Wil or not?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    ...but pewdiepie is an alt right facist.

So...?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    No.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2019
    This is a terrible thread.

edit: oh hey, too slow on the post

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.