As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I may have to stop my personal boycott of Nintendo and buy a Switch for the Link's Awakening remake.

Another fun glitch with the original Link's Awakening, if you open the map at the same time you do a screen transition you will appear on the next screen at the point you left the previous one. This mostly results in you getting stuck and needing to reset the game but there are some spots where you can skip ahead.

That sounds like the classic screen skip in the original in effect

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Probably. I never had an NES so haven't played the first two.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I can’t recommend playing the original NES Zelda enough. It still holds up well to this day and is a challenging game. There are a few poorly translated hints, but nothing searching (or a quick google search) won’t solve.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Just the first zelda.

The second one can go to friggin hell.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Zelda 2 is an okay game and people need to get over the meme of saying it was bad.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I LOVE the zelda 2 music

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I can’t recommend playing the original NES Zelda enough. It still holds up well to this day and is a challenging game. There are a few poorly translated hints, but nothing searching (or a quick google search) won’t solve.

I played it when i was 13, and after finishing a few dungeons could not figure it where to go next. I wandered around the overworld for a while, still could not figure it out, and gave up on the whole thing at that point.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I thought it aged pretty terribly when I tried it for the first time on the Switch. All I really got out of it was realizing that the Binding of Isaac cut way closer to the OG aesthetic than I expected.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Zelda 2 was just Dark Souls ahead of its time.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I don’t want to play Dark Souls either.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I felt that Zelda 2 was nearly unplayable. Then again, I'm one of those people who thinks that the NES wasn't powerful enough to run games that weren't inherently crippled.

Zelda 2 had some good ideas, it’s just held back by poor execution. I get why they’re remaking Link’s Awakening - it’s a beloved game. However I want to see Zelda 2 remade instead. A few tweaks here and there could make it a lot less frustrating.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Agreed, def want Zelda2 remake more than anything. That game had the best downward thrust, until Shovel Knight took the crown.

I was disappointed to read that the BotW DLC doesn’t let you play as the champions in mini-flashback moments, but rather memory cutscenes. Looks like I can save $20. Because let’s be real here, I played like 80+ hours and the game said I got 20% complete. At this point, turning on the game is like getting free DLC.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Henroid wrote: »
    Zelda 2 is an okay game and people need to get over the meme of saying it was bad.

I dunno about any memes kids are snorting these days, but Zelda 2 is so friggin hard it just wasn't enjoyable at a young age.

I'd only recommend it for the try hard dark souls / cup head crowd, even then I'd recommend a newer game.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    most of the difficulty is learning the jump crouch slash attack. that and grinding to level up skills. finding things was "difficult" because there was no "GO HERE" markers. the final dungeon was hard due to some mechanics.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    That final phoenix-dude boss is kind of bullshit, tbh, but that's just because of a lack of signposting. (Also, the hidden village is a bit too hidden.)

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I forget the details but the experience is messed up in 2. I recall a later, difficult enemy gives you less experience than the earlier slimes.

My honest assessment of Zelda 2 is it is a perfect example of a game made by great designers who didn’t do any playtesting at all.

Remakes will always be lesser in my eyes than successors. Why remake it when you could have a new IP that is just a bit better and more thoughtfully made?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Everything being said about Zelda 2 can be applied to the bulk of the NES' library of games. The difference seems to be that those games get a pass and Zelda 2 gets slammed for the same qualities. Yeah it's hard and has some bullshit elements to it, but not any more than other games.

Shit, I think Mega Man is full of more bullshit. My favorite example is from 5. Here you are in a series of "drop down to continue" screens.

L9GD8U2.jpg
    Do you go left or right? Shit, it shouldn't matter right?

XRWhh7K.jpg
    This is during the screen transition, when the game despawns enemies and soft-pauses while the screen moves.

kCbBvBZ.jpg
    And this is when you have control again. Where the fuck was the telegraphing that going right was a bad choice?

Zelda 2 has nothing like that going on, and my position is that it's fine.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The problem with Zelda 2 is the problem with most pioneering NES games. Like... Metroid is bad out loud, but Metroid 2 and Super Metroid took the good parts of it and made great games out of those ideas. Instead of running with the ideas of 2, they upgraded the original LOZ instead and 2 was left behind without a game that really redeemed the issues the game had for being primitive and early. If they had made a series of sequels to 2, Zelda 1 might be the strange one in history.

For myself, I hate the old game tendency of giving you transparently shitty offensive options (why hello there Kid Icarus and original Metroid). Link's sword is comically small and it takes some extreme dexterity to get to the point where you have better moves like jumping stabs. Instead of struggling through that, you could play a game where your character seems even semi-capable, like Bionic Commando or Mega Man.

There are a lot of NES games I don’t care to revisit because of the difficulty bullshit. I’ve never bothered to finish the first Mega Man or Castlevania. At least I made it through Zelda 2. Metroid and Zelda 1 are mostly played with muscle memory at this point. Nostalgia and my love for the franchises are probably why I give them a pass and don’t notice the bullshit. However, there’s probably a reason why I have the warm fuzzies for Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man 2 but not the others. I played them all when I was a kid but don’t love them equally now.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I played it when i was 13, and after finishing a few dungeons could not figure it where to go next. I wandered around the overworld for a while, still could not figure it out, and gave up on the whole thing at that point.

You really needed the game map that came with it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

You really needed the game map that came with it.

Not when you buy used.

steam_sig.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    There are a lot of NES games I don’t care to revisit because of the difficulty bullshit. I’ve never bothered to finish the first Mega Man or Castlevania. At least I made it through Zelda 2. Metroid and Zelda 1 are mostly played with muscle memory at this point. Nostalgia and my love for the franchises are probably why I give them a pass and don’t notice the bullshit. However, there’s probably a reason why I have the warm fuzzies for Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man 2 but not the others. I played them all when I was a kid but don’t love them equally now.

The first Mega Man is almost impossible without the pause trick. I tried beating it without using it when I got Legacy Collection on 3DS, got as far as the Yellow Devil and realized that the game wasn't worth the frustration.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Jumping back to the Zelda dlc, I only wanted Champions Ballad and thought it was well worth the cost for the extra story and "dungeons". And I only completed about half the shrines in the main game.
    I had and have no interest in beating my head against the wall of the trial of the sword, and found very little EX gear. The horse armor is the best though. Made horses usable again.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Zelda 2 was fine as long as grinding didn't bother you. And there were enough Exp exploits to make grinding less of a chore than it was in some FF games.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The SP version of Zelda 2 is in the Switch online thingie. It starts you with all the items and such so all you really need to do is level up

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Remakes will always be lesser in my eyes than successors. Why remake it when you could have a new IP that is just a bit better and more thoughtfully made?
    Your feeling on the matter is, of course, 100% valid and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but my answer to your question is: Because I think that games are an important form of art, and I think that as much of art as possible should be available to as many people as possible. I think that people should be able to watch "A Trip to the Moon" if they want to (even if it isn't good by the standards of modern cinema), read "The Decameron" (even if it isn't good by the standards of modern literature), and play "Zelda 2" (even if it isn't good by the standards of modern video games). In some cases, like with a lot of books, the text is available in one form or another and you can just pick it up and read it. With certain things, though, the technology gets in the way. Old movies were initially available on some weird-ass film that has since decayed, old video games are available only on consoles that can't be connected to a modern TV without going through a series of three separate signal converters, etc. In cases like that, I'm in favor whatever translation is necessary to make the game more widely available. If we can just make the original available, that's the best - but if the only way to get it out there is through remastering, then that'll do.

Admittedly, a remake is different from a remaster, in that it typically introduces some modern additions to the original product, but I think that's OK too. You can't really read sufficiently old books even if you know the language they are ostensibly written in because the language was different then; you need a translation into modern speech, and the translator will need to make some choices that are bound to affect the final product. I feel like a remake along the lines of the new Link's Awakening is in the same ballpark.

edited April 2019
    Quite honestly, the should release a remake/remaster of Zelda 2 and just include the original with it as a bonus. Not like the NES game would take up any space. That way you get the best of both worlds.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    When I was much younger and I didn't have access to internet guides/wikis for games, I didn't find the idea of using guides or other things as cheating or unappealing: the fact that I didn't have access to tons of games meant that reading about how to beat other games was incredibly interesting, because it fired your imagination about what those games were like to play. That a game had guides made the game feel like it was incredible and huge and you had received some treasure map of wisdom over how to get through this grand adventure, as opposed to a "well the game's trivialized now" feeling. It's strange how that feels so different now, in an age where I'm surrounded by tons of incredibly deep games and I'm way better at playing games.

Now, I do think one of the frustrating parts of the game was in that one green dungeon where you had to walk through a wall, combined with how so many of the rooms looked the same. It was pretty easy to get lost in that dungeon which had the dragon coming out of the lava as the boss, too, and that would get annoying. I think having a map or having more tileset variation within each given dungeon so that it'd be easier to distinguish rooms would definitely make the game better, unless you've got a dungeon whose gimmick is "every rooms looks the saaaaaaame spoooooky" (goddamn Death Mountain mazes....)

I don't think I ever felt that the game was bad, but it was so different from Zelda 1 that it felt at once strange and exciting! And I didn't mind that feeling!

The game over screen plus the Gannon laugh was the stuff of NIGHTMARES though, holy cow wtf
    I remember after experiencing that once, I'd trying to hit the power button if I was about to see the game over screen or cover my ears or ANYTHING geez

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    Wait, when did people start saying Metroid is a bad game? Metroid is awesome.

Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Wait, when did people start saying Metroid is a bad game? Metroid is awesome.
    It is but it's aged terribly. I wouldn't recommend it to people who are new to the series, let alone Metroid 2. They lack a sense of direction and distinction between many hallways.

I agree that Norfair was confusing as hell back then, and some of the elements which cause that confusion, such as similar-looking rooms and bomb-accessible corridors that don't actually lead to important places but may lead to you becoming disoriented, haven't become more legible even with greater user literacy in game/level design.

I also wouldn't say Metroid 1 is a bad game, but it would certainly benefit from a variety of quality-of-life features. Always spawning with 30 life and your energy tanks empty definitely sucks. Making the awesome discovery of the wave gun, only to find that you literally can't kill Metroids if you have it hours and hours later, also sucks.

Those are all things that I liked. It made me feel like a bounty hunter who landed on a new planet, had no idea what to expect, where to go, and in desperate need of upgrades. Idk, it made it feel more real I guess.

I was more pissed off that I had to find all the same damned upgrades in Super Metroid that I had already gotten in Metroid. Like, why the hell would Samus give up her morph ball ability? That's something you keep, damn it!

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, having Samus “lose” the suit upgrades between games, or even in the opening cutscene, is annoying. I mean it’d be cool if that was somehow part of gameplay (either you can convert upgrades to full e-tanks in an emergency, or sufficient damage from a single hit straight up breaks them, or whatever) but it’s lame that Ridley or whoever can smack you hard enough to break your toys exactly once and never pull the trick again… until next time the plot demands it.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Colonel Campbell Galactic Federation suit : "Samus, this is a sneaking mission."

Samus : "Weapons and equipment OSP (on-site procurement)?"

Colonel Campbell Galactic Federation suit : "Yes. This a top-secret black op. Don't expect any official support."

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Yeah Fusion was really the only one with a half decent explanation for depowering you.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Those are all things that I liked. It made me feel like a bounty hunter who landed on a new planet, had no idea what to expect, where to go, and in desperate need of upgrades. Idk, it made it feel more real I guess.

I was more pissed off that I had to find all the same damned upgrades in Super Metroid that I had already gotten in Metroid. Like, why the hell would Samus give up her morph ball ability? That's something you keep, damn it!

Ya see it works like this. Samus buys a new suit every other year. Since the Company that makes her suit completely stops supporting the old product line Samus is forced to buy the marginally improved version of the same suit. Unwilling to give those assholes any more of her money she refuses to buy upgrades.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    god that sounds so much like irl

:(

can't escape the corporate capitalist machine, even on Zebes!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Samus never seems to get paid for all the saving the galaxy she does (or else the lawsuits for environmental vandalism are staggering after blowing up multiple planets and space stations), so I assume she sells all the upgrades she finds to pay the bills. She also seems to have a new starship every game, those aren't cheap.

I want a Metroid where she presents a bill for all the munitions expended, like in in Star Fox 64.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.