As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited April 2019 in Social Entropy++
o9um3xqqvj3b.png

When the night is darkest, the dead will rise to plague the living with questions about which feat to take in 5E and interminable arguments about polearms.

Inhuman predators will stalk the streets in burial gowns stained dark with Code Red.

Vampire-The-Masquerade-Brujah-Photo.jpg

Bestial spider-women with tits of uncertain floppitude lurk in the bottom of the darkest wiki pages.

Dare you enter?

(old thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/223394/dinos-and-druids-a-tasty-romp-through-table-top-games/p1 )

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So if someone were to run a VtM game these days, is 5e the best way to do it?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Part of me found the tattoo'd leather wearing vampire apex predator silly in VTM back in the day as the decent into madness hunting people just to live while fending off other vampires and people who were interesting in killing you with their folk lore of knowledge far more interesting {guess what clan I played then....} I have yet to play 5th I really wanted to play VtR I felt in some ways it was better not weighed down with so many clans and bloodlines with how there was a grey area in your weird powers past the groups you could join and what your bloodline gave you.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Maddoc wrote: »

If what you're specifically into is Masquerade - with all the familiar Clans, the Camarilla and Anarchs (and, very lightly, the Sabbat) and the assorted main characters like Beckett and the long-running metaplot, Vampire 5E seems like it's actually pretty great as a system. The problems that got Vampire and White Wolf a lot of attention last year were to do with the dinguses running the company and some of the dinguses they hired, not with the game itself, which was designed by Ken Hite, who created Night's Black Agents and a few other very well-regarded games. I haven't played but it sounds like a tight game with innovative mechanics and makes a lot of welcome changes to the ongoing story, like moving the Sabbat into th background (and out of scope as player characters) to instead foreground the conflict between the Anarchs and the Camarilla.

If playing specifically in the Masquerade world is value-neutral to you and what you're really after is just a game about the night-to-night experience of being a vampire and getting into plots and intrigues, then Vampire the Requiem 2E (not 1E, avoid 1E) is a fucking excellent system that I have played and give my highest recommendation. It's a really punchy, visceral game that gets at the horror of being a vampire and the hard choices that life would force on you without being a gloomy depression fiesta. Like the other Chronicles of Darkness games, Requiem is meant to be taken less as an established setting and more as a toolkit to build your own - to create and populate your own cities with their own twists on the formula, and some nerdlinger can't complain that you're contradicting Book #27 or whatever.

Really, the two games are much more alike (especially now, with V5's lore changes and some new mechanics that mirror what VtR has done) than different, but they do have differences. Stereotypically, Masquerade has more of a widescreen, globe-trotting vibe, with international occult conspiracies spanning centuries, while Requiem goes for more of a street-level, The Wire vibe, taking organized crime as its unifying metaphor. But, especially in these latest editions, you can do gritty street-level Masquerade games and big epic Requiem games pretty easily, so eh.

In both games, you might, like, hunt a serial killer, but in Masquerade he's more likely to be a vengeful Sumerian mummy enacting an occult blood ritual while in Requiem it's more likely to be a plot by the city's Nosferatu clan to create fear and panic so they can more easily feed, or to cover up the murder of their rivals.

If you want to get Masquerade's vibe, play Bloodlines, which is a terrific distillation of its whole approach and feel. If you want to get a sense for Requiem, check out this (not long!) Actual Play thread ( https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/vampire-the-requiem-never-let-go.198667/ ) by Rose Bailey, who went on to become the lead designer of the second edition.

• Options
    Are the Camarilla and Anarchs books out for 5th? I know there was some silly goose stuff that caused them to pull them but past that I heard nothing

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Interstitial is so good, I'm brainstorming a session using the ghost of Joseph Campbell as a major character

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    our goliath monk found a surrogate father figure in a friendly cloud giant this week. also we unlocked the secret postal service, for special people

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Lancer is out on Kickstarter. Worth noting that the only difference between the book they plan to make and the free version that's being available for a few years is art and layout polish. So you can glance over the entire rules set to gauge interest.

Also currently shipping costs outside the US are absurd.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The muscly dude on the right of the picture in the OP laughs derisively at your button-fly jeans.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The muscly dude on the right of the picture in the OP laughs derisively at your button-fly jeans.

Are those bolts?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    well, I just backed Lancer

shame I missed the 150 tier that lets you make a faction but "just" the hardcopy is more than enough

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I've got to make a late-TOS era Engineer for my upcoming Star Trek campaign. Need to have a look at the book and see what my options are.

Star Trek nerds: How long has the Federation been a thing at the end of TOS?

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Lancer is an idea for a tabletop game I'm super into wrapped in a game that seems too crunchy for any of my players to ever enjoy.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    ideally I'd want the Lancer universe with the Armour Astir system for maximum anime

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Speaking of if anyone wants to do an interstitial PbP hit me up

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

I would certainly recommend it, system wise. V20 is the most complete edition but it uses the old rules and those were Bad. It's also kind of overwhelming on the lore front.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Are the Camarilla and Anarchs books out for 5th? I know there was some silly goose stuff that caused them to pull them but past that I heard nothing

They are, but I don't think they're getting a second printing. I'd skip them tbh, as someone who has both.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

I would certainly recommend it, system wise. V20 is the most complete edition but it uses the old rules and those were Bad. It's also kind of overwhelming on the lore front.

what made the old rules Bad? I'm only familiar with them so I have no idea how 5e made them Good

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I've got to make a late-TOS era Engineer for my upcoming Star Trek campaign. Need to have a look at the book and see what my options are.

...man, that's not in the rulebook?

Founded 2161, original series ran 2265-2269.

Original series was also written without precise time declarations so nobody would push their glasses up and actually according to Moore's Law technical advancement couldn't possibly have

• Options

what made the old rules Bad? I'm only familiar with them so I have no idea how 5e made them Good

I'd say the biggest issues were game balance and over complex (and therefore drawn-out) combat.

For instance, one discipline was called Celerity, and it gave you an extra turn for each dot you had in it. Even one dot of that literally fucking doubles your damage output, five quintuples it. Another one, Potence, simply gave you automatic successes on any feat of strength, including combat. Essentially if you didn't have one or the other of those, you were shithoused. In V5, Celerity and Potence are instead 5 discrete, super-speed/strength themed powers. They still have some really fun scaling powers, but they're not just "have these powers or get destroyed" any more. Other things that have been made slightly less ridonk are blood magic and the shadow powers.

Re: the combat, it used to be something like roll to hit, roll their dodge, roll damage, roll their soak to resolve a single round from one side. Now imagine that this character has Celerity 2, so you can double that amount of rolls. Now imagine they have Celerity 5. In the new system, you roll strength + brawl (for instance) vs their strength + brawl and the margin of success + weapon bonus is damage. There's also nice touches like the fact that the attack stat for firearms is composure (a social stat) which means that even if you have a social heavy build you can kick out some kind of damage if you really need to.

It's got a lot of things that need to be built out more but even after hanging around in a V5 rules Discord for a while no one's really managed to find any gaping holes in it.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

...man, that's not in the rulebook?

Founded 2161, original series ran 2265-2269.

Original series was also written without precise time declarations so nobody would push their glasses up and actually according to Moore's Law technical advancement couldn't possibly have

I didn't have it handy, it may be. So ~100 years. Any starfleet crew would probably be third generation federation members at this point.

It's sort of a Voyager long, deep mission concept. I was thinking of a human that has only just gotten used to the existing Federation species, and is reluctant to meet even more new ones, but even at this point things are probably pretty cosmopolitan.

• Options
    V5 also has an interesting system regarding hunger. Your hunger rating is 0-5, and you add that rating in "hunger dice" to any roll you do. If you roll a crit on a hunger dice, you still succeed but do it in a fucked up way that will have consequences (such as losing humanity), and if you fail on one you fail extremely hardcore. Every power usage involves a 50/50 "rouse check" to see if you get hungrier. You can't fully clear out your hunger without draining a human until they're dead, so hunger is a constant thing that you're always thinking about in the game rather than just your mana bar.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh I love that.

Cthulhu Dark did a similar thing, where you had an insight die that you could add in for any roll (or use for rerolls)

But if your Insight die rolled higher than the rest of your dice, then you had a chance of increasing your insight score, and if you get to a certain insight score, you completely lose your mind and become non-playable (and there is plenty of nasty stuff along the way as well)

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Lancer is out on Kickstarter. Worth noting that the only difference between the book they plan to make and the free version that's being available for a few years is art and layout polish. So you can glance over the entire rules set to gauge interest.

Also currently shipping costs outside the US are absurd.

On that last bit, they've acknowledged that and are trying to figure out someway of lowering them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    With all the bad shit that's happened to Kickstarters over international shipping rates it's much smarter for them to be honest about the expected costs, then work to reduce them if they have sufficient interest.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh I love that.

Cthulhu Dark did a similar thing, where you had an insight die that you could add in for any roll (or use for rerolls)

But if your Insight die rolled higher than the rest of your dice, then you had a chance of increasing your insight score, and if you get to a certain insight score, you completely lose your mind and become non-playable (and there is plenty of nasty stuff along the way as well)

It's pretty great! It feels more like you're playing a game, because you constantly have these little gambles of "should I use this power now and risk my hunger going up?" and the little endorphine boost of "ha! fuck you! I'm turning into a wolf for free!".

It also provides some balance against stacking dice pools too heavily. If you go "ok I'm throwing all of my weight behind this and rolling a million dice", you're also increase the risk that it's going to go badly wrong for you because the chances of a hungry crit go up.

The biggest problem with it is that as a DM you have to constantly be ready to come up with "what does a fucking hungry crit look like on a research roll"

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    On Lancer: I've played with this game system quite a bit and if you like mechs and deep crunch with an underlying engine that functions well, this is probably your system nirvana. Most of the beta docs are floating around out there, but because this is such a deep crunch game the quality layout work is probably worth paying for. The art is very, very good.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options

They are, but I don't think they're getting a second printing. I'd skip them tbh, as someone who has both.

So they bring nothing to the game? No tidbits of lore? or ideas?

• Options
    My favorite part about the Cthulhu Dark insight die is that as soon as your insight score gets to 5 (6 is the one that will drive you permanently insane, so you're really fucking close at this point), you learn a special new rule:

w1g8g652hg7z.png

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That is super dark and I love it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Speaking of if anyone wants to do an interstitial PbP hit me up

Hey

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Are those bolts?

Yes!

• Options

So they bring nothing to the game? No tidbits of lore? or ideas?

I mean it's not 200 blank pages but there's nothing super memorable in there. They have the stats for the Banu Haqim and Ministry in there, but no special disciplines etc. They're kind of missing the fun stuff to read, like characters. It's mostly just conceptual stuff about how those factions work.

• Options

Are those bolts?

Yes!

Do vampires need to pee?

Because if so, that's gonna be an unpleasant time with a socket wrench in front of the urinal

• Options

Are those bolts?

Yes!

Do vampires need to pee?

Because if so, that's gonna be an unpleasant time with a socket wrench in front of the urinal

Don't vampires have superhuman strength? Perhaps that's why the bolts are necessary?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    lmao if you don' think that guy stinks of piss all the time

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    I think the decision to go with photography rather than illustrations is one of the big missteps of V5.

• Options
    I think the decision to go with photography rather than illustrations is one of the big missteps of V5.

I have yet to see photographs of people (or, more commonly, heavily filtered/edited photographs that are supposed to no longer look like photographs) work in a board or roleplaying game

I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't work, but it sets off some sort of uncanny valley switch for me or something

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You’d think they’d work for Vampire. I think, from the little I’ve seen, it’s because they’re looking at the camera. It should be a scene playing out that someone has caught on camera, not a photo shoot.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    what was that one cyberpunk rpg with the puppet photos

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    They're hiring a bunch of non-traditional media folks for the art on the upcoming Under Hollow Hills and I'm super curious how that goes for them

Like, in addition to your expected digital/physical painters, they highlighted a sculptor and a collagist and a paper doll craftsperson

I have no idea what the actual plan for showcasing any of that art is, but it seems very interesting