As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eurovision 2019 (nsf56k) - Golden Boy, I am not your toy

PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
edited May 2019 in Social Entropy++
Qm8JWJQ.png
Uf8gOQX.gif

Bienvenue, welcome and baruch haba to this year's Song Contest in Tel Aviv! Last year's winning song was about not showing undeserving men your Pikachu.

vh5pKFq.gif

Here's a nice map courtesy of Wikipedia user AxG:

7We4DRc.png

red - countries in the first semi-final (14 May)
pink - countries which go straight to the final but can vote during the first semi-final
dark blue - countries in the second semi-final (16 May)
light blue - countries voting in the second semi-final

As usual, the final follows on Saturday which is 18 May. All shows begin at 19:00 GMT/20:00 BST/21:00 CEST and a livestream will be available under eurovision.tv.

Tehani!
har47bR.gif

Platy on

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    GO LITHUANIA

• mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Is there a way to watch all of the semi finals and finals via stream if you are in the US? The official stream has been blocked for the last two years now and we are very sad that we haven't been able to enjoy the whole thing.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been in Africa for Eurovision the last two years, which means I can stream it all, and am even in the right timezone, but also nobody around me gives a single fuck about it.
    It's very dispiriting.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I believe I am surrendering the stewardship of my yearly Eurovision party this year

I have a friend who much more genuinely enjoys it, and I feel like maybe she deserves to be hosting Eurovision parties more than I do

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    mageormike wrote: »
    Is there a way to watch all of the semi finals and finals via stream if you are in the US? The official stream has been blocked for the last two years now and we are very sad that we haven't been able to enjoy the whole thing.

Apparently Logo TV will be showing it live in the US

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I believe I am surrendering the stewardship of my yearly Eurovision party this year

I have a friend who much more genuinely enjoys it, and I feel like maybe she deserves to be hosting Eurovision parties more than I do

Whoops I was wrong, this is on me again.

We got two weeks - has anyone listened to the entrants yet? If I were a betting man, I'd be on it, but that's the only vice I've managed to avoid.

• VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Current word from the Eurovision blogs is that LogoTV isn't airing it this year. No word if it's officially being aired but what I normally do for the semi finals (Logo didn't air those anyway) is to watch on SVT(svtplay.se) because <3 Sweden and their non-geolocked television network :) They also have an SVT app if you're on the go and want to watch on your phone (I have, it's nice!). I don't even much recall if they had commentators but regardless, I vastly preferred a more minimalist presentation from SVT to listening to factoids about singers and countries geared to a mostly clueless American audience which might be good for some newer viewers but is not my cup of tea.

My honest hope is that they go back to not bothering for the US because it is frustrating that I can't watch performances from the last two years on youtube due to geolocking on the Eurovision channel. As much as I like watching the music videos, There are quite a few live performances I would rewatch from the last two years!

Based on studio cuts, I'm rooting for The Netherlands, Italy, Iceland, Greece and Cyprus. Totally down with Greece and Cyprus giving each other their 12 points this year.

Edit: I feel like there is a good variety of genres for the contest but there are a plethora of male ballads this year which are normally not my thing. That said, my number 1 is a male ballad this go around but my top 5 are definitely all different styles.

Varg on
    edited May 2019
    Made this a while ago, it's my version of a Eurovision bingo card

CsVGMlp.jpg

Platy on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    was the Golden Boy an especially loved contender? afaik his performance was merely serviceable and unassuming, aside from the rather unusual genre choice (mizrahi pop)

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Oh nobody here believed he was 18 and his song got quite a bit of radio airplay

His song also included the line that he would show us Tel Aviv

edited May 2019
    Also I get what you mean by "unassuming" but I like the song because the lyrics are so pompous and self-absorbed!

Platy on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    considering these were the boy's shoes during the performance, I rather see your point:

nadav-guedj.jpg?fit=1056%2C800&ssl=1

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Oh holy shit Iceland is what I'm here for

https://youtu.be/UGrRhIj4FRw

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "someone's playing a fake instrument" should be the free square shouldn't it? I doubt that even once in the history of eurovision have they had anyone on stage actually playing the instruments they're flailing around

BahamutZERO.gif
  • VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hatari is pretty awesome as an act.

This was their intro video for Songvakeppnin:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdtIvkY4fQE

And the hype is adorable:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtRe-sCz4k

Varg on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    "someone's playing a fake instrument" should be the free square shouldn't it? I doubt that even once in the history of eurovision have they had anyone on stage actually playing the instruments they're flailing around

I don't think they are even allowed.

edited May 2019
    Most of these things would qualify as a free space

This includes "something involving fishermen"

Platy on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Made this a while ago, it's my version of a Eurovision bingo card

CsVGMlp.jpg

This is perfect.

Geeeet ready for the first semi-final tomorrow

• The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Let's go!! How many are watching tonight?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited May 2019
    This outfit already glitters like woah

[edit]

And now fetish fuel

Platy on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My housemates and I are having a Eurovision party at the weekend. There will be costumes!

That sounded extremely familiar. But I'm not sure if that is positive?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    I don't think there will be costumes at mine, so you've got me beat

I mean, I'll be wearing a costume because I don't believe in going to a party without a costume, but that's just an assumed element

edited May 2019
    Cyprus's entry was more about the outfit

Platy on
    edited May 2019
    I think I've never seen someone put together fishing boots and a Wolverine costume

[edit]

Oh my god, maybe it's the one-year-withdrawal they always put you through but this is already getting really close to peak Eurovision

Platy on
    :surprised: That ice effect was pretty cool.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    Did Belgium lose his voice

Platy wrote: »
    Did Belgium lose his voice

Yeah that was pretty rough

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    HOLY SHIT!!!

We have peaked

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    No Australia is trying waaaayyyyyyy too hard

The song was mediocre, but did you see those Fury Road pendulums?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    What's up with the fetish outfits this year

I take back everything I just said...

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This feels like a Hellraiser tribute act. Which I'm all for.

edited May 2019
    I think I would've put an eyepatch leather goggles on the Cenobite exarch because otherwise his face looks too friendly

Platy on
    I guess Portugal's bejeweled beard protector would've also done it

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Cyprus and Iceland certainly have made some choices with their outfits.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod