As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLB 2021: Dodgers/Braves Cheatros/Wahh Sox

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    On the other hand Harper is pretty as fuck and also the face of a number of MLBs various promotions. So paying extra for the association might have some value.

wbBv3fj.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Happy opening day folks!

Time for hope, joy, and the constant companion of disappointment.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can I just whine for a moment that the premier MLB game is ps4 only? Like fuck you the show!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Glad opening day is finally here. Was getting tough to wait anymore. This off season felt much slower than usual. A lot of the big signings and extensions only happened in the last month (last week for extensions!)

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    More likely the East will be bunched up because they’ll beat up on each other.

13 years. And I believe...no opt-outs, full no-trade, no deferred money.

I don’t see any way that won’t be regrettable by year 9-10.

You have to remember that if baseball players were paid what they were truly worth on short-term contracts, they'd get way higher yearly salaries than what we're used to. Fangraphs' money value on player seasons isn't perfect, but it's a good quick-and-dirty kludge. It has Harper's last four seasons alone as worth $144m. Trout's already been worth almost $500m in his six+ years.

But there's a sort of mutual perverse incentive whereby players want the security of long-term deals, and GMs have every reason to stretch deals out over longer periods (heck, they probably won't be in the job in five years anyway), so they take way lower than their short-term value in order to stretch out the years. A player who takes a 10-year, $300m deal isn't really expected to be worth $30m every single year. It's more like they'll be worth $50m for five years, then the last five years are tacked on.

So yeah, almost every team will "regret" their big free agent signings a few years down the road. They should be getting enough surplus value in the early years to balance it out.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Twins win. Playoffs here we come baby.

Opening with a nice win. Lots of good hitting. Rocks have a good line up. Starting pitching, if it stays healthy is decent. But man as always, the bullpen freaks me out.

Still ESPN is pretty bullish on us even. So here is to hoping for a great year.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Phillies go undefeated in 2019! You heard it here first! ;-)

Harper goes hitless, but Hoskins with a slam!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Brewers win. 162-0.

Chacin homers in every game he's in.

https://deadspin.com/chris-davis-is-now-officially-part-of-miserable-basebal-1833899117

HISTORY MADE!

Soon to be honored with other Baltimore greats like uhhh The Wire and uhhh some regional food item that people in baltimore like.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Was he always overrated/a fraud or are we witnessing the most rapid and steep non-injury-related drop off ever?

Like most people that get bad quickly are old and retire before it even gets half as bad for half as long, but Davis is still getting $23 mill a year guaranteed to be the worst player in MLB history.

Was he always overrated/a fraud or are we witnessing the most rapid and steep non-injury-related drop off ever?

Like most people that get bad quickly are old and retire before it even gets half as bad for half as long, but Davis is still getting $23 mill a year guaranteed to be the worst player in MLB history.

He wasn't a fraud before, but I think age just hit him fast. I recall from a deadspin article before since Davis have been historic in his shittiness prior to the streak. He lost bat speed, and its really exposed him as a bad hitter.

I think its also that baltimore has no one else and is paying him a lot of money, so traditionally someone this putrid would be sent down, but they can't/wont.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://deadspin.com/chris-davis-is-now-officially-part-of-miserable-basebal-1833899117

HISTORY MADE!

Soon to be honored with other Baltimore greats like uhhh The Wire and uhhh some regional food item that people in baltimore like.

Crabcakes and old bay! C'mon man, it ain't that hard! :wink:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

HISTORY MADE!

I'm a product of the american education system, you're lucky I know baltimore is in new hampshire.

pleasepaypreacher.net

When you're a 3 true outcome batter and you lose bat speed you quickly become a 1 true outcome batter. Davis has had trouble adapting to this fact.

wbBv3fj.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

HISTORY MADE!

Eh, Pit Beef would fit better as a stadium eat.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Well that isn't a good sign. Mike Trout got pulled from this game with no explanation, with a narrow lead in the 4th.

But hey, Tommy La Stella has 2 home runs today and had 1 last night. In 2018 he had all of one home run in 123 games with the Cubs.

Edit: apparently Trout is day to day with a right groin strain.

And here they go officially blowing the 6-0 lead they had after the 1st inning. Trailing 7-8 now.

Then the Brewers managed to find a way to suck more than the Angels. Hey, we're at .500 now.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    https://deadspin.com/in-his-fifth-appearance-of-the-season-trevor-rosenthal-1833968698

So Trevor Rosenthal is having a thing. I feel bad for him because pitchers sometimes never recover from surgery and their career is pretty much fucked forever. But still god damn dude.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/21/velocity-is-strangling-baseball-its-grip-keeps-tightening/?utm_term=.fac93041deb6

Excellent article on velocity and its effect on the game. I highly recommend reading it.

Also went to a Nats game on Saturday since my dad was in town. In person baseball, even if you are not a big fan of either team, is just a joy. But also, fucking hell people. Wait till a break to get up and go into your seats. We missed multiple hits and such because assholes kept standing up and leaving in the middle of at bats.

Folks, there are breaks between hitters and innings. Use those. Be patient.

The folks standing were all wearing Phillies gear so I can't say I should be surprised.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Also, MLB draft prospect says "fuck that noise, I'm going to Japan to get paid:
    Nineteen-year-old pitcher Carter Stewart is in agreement with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of the Japanese Pacific League on a six-year contract worth more than $7 million, a groundbreaking deal that could have long-term ramifications for Major League Baseball’s amateur and professional sides, sources told ESPN.

Stewart, who was chosen by the Atlanta Braves with the eighth pick in the 2018 draft out of a Florida high school but did not sign after they reduced their signing-bonus offer due to an alleged injury, was expected to be chosen in the early second round of this June’s draft. By signing with Fukuoka, which has won four of the past five Japan Series, Stewart would guarantee himself significantly more money than he would have made with a major league organization — and could theoretically join the major leagues as a 25-year-old free agent.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I don't blame the kid but much like signing with an NBA team out of high school (assuming they come to their senses and get rid of one and done again) it's only ever going to be an option for a handful of elite prospects.

I wonder if long term it hurts these players getting the fuck-you-pay-me mlb contracts since instead of coming up at 21 and being evaluated and compensated based on how you did vs mlb talent you'll have to face the bias that you were a 2.50 ERA pitcher.... In Japan that they always tack on.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Also Gleyber Torres is waging a one man campaign to get the Orioles into the history books this year, bless his heart.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I don't blame the kid but much like signing with an NBA team out of high school (assuming they come to their senses and get rid of one and done again) it's only ever going to be an option for a handful of elite prospects.

I wonder if long term it hurts these players getting the fuck-you-pay-me mlb contracts since instead of coming up at 21 and being evaluated and compensated based on how you did vs mlb talent you'll have to face the bias that you were a 2.50 ERA pitcher.... In Japan that they always tack on.

but he wouldn't come up at 21. He's go to rookie ball at 21. Best case scenario he makes it to the majors in 2 yrs. That's only if he dominates at every level and the major league club is both competitive and needing his position. Most likely case is he never makes the majors and only gets paid his bonus (estimated at 2m). So he's already coming out ahead going to japan, and if he's an amazing talent can become an international free agent at 25. Traditional path at 25 he'd still be years away from free agency.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Also Gleyber Torres is waging a one man campaign to get the Orioles into the history books this year, bless his heart.

10 HR against one team before Memorial Day?! The Os must be ecstatic that he's sitting out today.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/21/velocity-is-strangling-baseball-its-grip-keeps-tightening/?utm_term=.fac93041deb6

Excellent article on velocity and its effect on the game. I highly recommend reading it.

Also went to a Nats game on Saturday since my dad was in town. In person baseball, even if you are not a big fan of either team, is just a joy. But also, fucking hell people. Wait till a break to get up and go into your seats. We missed multiple hits and such because assholes kept standing up and leaving in the middle of at bats.

Folks, there are breaks between hitters and innings. Use those. Be patient.

The folks standing were all wearing Phillies gear so I can't say I should be surprised.

That bit about precision hitters coming back as an organic solution... The 2014-15 Royals made it to the World Series twice and won the second time by being the team that would not die, clawing back from behind with single after single.

...but instead what everyone picked up on was that their starters almost never lasted more than six innings and had 3-4 relievers for each game at the minimum.

In a way, they were both the possible solution to today's pitchers, and the genesis of taking it to it's current extreme.

steam_sig.png

10 HR against one team before Memorial Day?! The Os must be ecstatic that he's sitting out today.

It's been like watching Homer murder the Hamburglar.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Twins are giving me waaaay too much hope this season.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Houston with our semi-annual reminder that close seats at baseball games outside the netting are not appropriate for young children. Pretty ugly stuff and while there's initial unconfirmed reports that the girl is relatively OK, nothing is certain yet.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Twins are giving me waaaay too much hope this season.

I am right there with you. I have to start my research into who the hell half these guys are...

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    Rocks get themselves up to .500 with a win over Arizona last night.

Still have way too many injuries and pitching is a coin flip on a good night. At least the bats have woken up.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I went to Europe for two weeks and didn’t pay much attention to baseball and now the Mariners, having started 13-2, are 11 games under .500.

That’s like losing every game for a month. Mariners baseball. Feel the magic

can you feel the struggle within?
    I've long held that following the mariners is a ball busting affair but uhh not like this.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Welp

Hitting the dick off the ball gets a new meaning in Seattle

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ. That dude has the worst fucking luck. Two years ago he got hit in the face by a DeGrom fastball and it took him out for months.

Fortunately outfield is a position that is relatively easy to play. We can stick one of our 8 first basemen out there and things will go ok

wbBv3fj.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    David Ortiz was shot in the Dominican republic. Luckily he is in stable condition. I always liked him.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/09/americas/mlb-david-ortiz-shot-dominican-republic/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    David Ortiz was shot in the Dominican republic. Luckily he is in stable condition. I always liked him.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/09/americas/mlb-david-ortiz-shot-dominican-republic/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

The red sox are sending a plane to transport him to boston. I assume that's a good sign as he's safe to be transported.

RickRude on
    Interesting thought on the value of rookie contracts for whenever the players decide to renegotiate.

Edwin Encarnación, the current HR leader in the AL and one of the most productvie bats in the game at the moment, was traded to the Yankees from the Mariners.

Seattle gets a prospect and half of edwins (remaining?) salary back. Which is to say that a (goodish?) prospect is worth about 7.5 million dollars.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Interesting thought on the value of rookie contracts for whenever the players decide to renegotiate.

Edwin Encarnación, the current HR leader in the AL and one of the most productvie bats in the game at the moment, was traded to the Yankees from the Mariners.

Seattle gets a prospect and half of edwins (remaining?) salary back. Which is to say that a (goodish?) prospect is worth about 7.5 million dollars.

This was a clown shoes deal.

So the prospect that the Yankees sent over to the Mariners originally came to them via the Mariners themselves.

The Mariners had traded the prospect and another to the Yankees a couple years ago for one of the Yankees prospects.

The Mariners have since cut that prospect.

So in two trades the Mariners are less one prospect, Edwin and unloaded half of a salary.

The Yankees basically broke even on prospects and got a guy who is on pace for 40+ home runs and it cost them 7.5 mill in cap space.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well, you're disregarding that the trades that brought Encarnacion to Seattle also unloaded a bunch of payroll from the Mariners. And the original trade that sent Then away wasn't just trading prospects, it was for a bullpen addition when they thought they were gonna be a competitive team -- it's easy to mock that now but... okay, it was easy to mock that then too but that's just because it's the Mariners.

This discussion has been closed.