As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

That'd be kinda shit, you'd need to track them down each year to re-apply it. Must make finding shed ones easy, just bring a flashlight and shine it into the forest at night, look for the glowing stuff.

Tell you what though, antlers are already a freaking body horror experience.
    Part of the year they're fully fleshed organs, with blood vessels and everything, kinda spongy with a soft velvety fur-like outer covering ("deer velvet"). Then partway through the year it starts to calcify and the outer layer of soft velvety flesh sloughs off in bloody dripping ribbons. Then after winter they break them off and the bloody stumps begin growing a new set of organs.

I wonder how much of this early societies understood before conceiving of their demons as being be-horned and metal af

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

That'd be kinda shit, you'd need to track them down each year to re-apply it. Must make finding shed ones easy, just bring a flashlight and shine it into the forest at night, look for the glowing stuff.

Tell you what though, antlers are already a freaking body horror experience.
    Part of the year they're fully fleshed organs, with blood vessels and everything, kinda spongy with a soft velvety fur-like outer covering ("deer velvet"). Then partway through the year it starts to calcify and the outer layer of soft velvety flesh sloughs off in bloody dripping ribbons. Then after winter they break them off and the bloody stumps begin growing a new set of organs.

I wonder how much of this early societies understood before conceiving of their demons as being be-horned and metal af

Probably quite a bit. You get really familiar with animals when you depend on them for survival.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmGhxYrkug

So. In 2016 some documentary filmmakers were filming b-roll outside a town called Beaver, Utah. They allege to have captured something on film, in hi def, at 60 fps. The "object" appears at about 2:33 or so in the footage. Watch it a couple times at regular speed, then at .25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-Yrv1-chI

here's one of the filmmakers talking about it, with slowed down footage included, and apparent links to the raw video files in the video descriptions. i don't know raw from edited video, so that means nothing to me, but it's still fun to think about :3c

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5Ju96xV10

might as well include this one, which is a deep dive into the footage, using 3d terrain plotting and cgi mockup comparisons and stuff, going into forced perspective etc. it's interesting! and pretty convincing!

I WANT TO BELIEEEEEEVE :cry:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Area 51 is an Air Force test site. I could be convinced that that was a crazy-advanced drone.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Calica wrote: »
    Area 51 is an Air Force test site. I could be convinced that that was a crazy-advanced drone.

I personally believe the majority of genuine UFO sightings are of experimental military aircraft, which is honestly more disturbing than believing they belong to extraterrestrials. ETs might be here for fun or science, but I know what experimental military aircraft end up getting used for.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    it was a bug

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You’re a bug

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    it was a bug

PROVE IT, FED

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Sure, if you'll just look at the little light on top of this thing in my hand, I'll have that proof for you right away

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    it was a bug

It was definitely a bug.
    The 3rd video that uses 3D mapping says if you think it's a small object moving close to the camera then you're a "Coincidence theorist" which is fucking laughable.
    The video creator states this because the object goes behind the hill in the background and because the object matches the parallax of the hill. It presents these two items as if they're indisputable fact, when they are far from it.
    He creates data which supports hiss hypothesis. He finds evidence to prove a thing He already believes.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    it was a bug

It was definitely a bug.
    The 3rd video that uses 3D mapping says if you think it's a small object moving close to the camera then you're a "Coincidence theorist" which is fucking laughable.
    The video creator states this because the object goes behind the hill in the background and because the object matches the parallax of the hill. It presents these two items as if they're indisputable fact, when they are far from it.
    He creates data which supports hiss hypothesis. He finds evidence to prove a thing He already believes.

Nice try snakeman!

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    he's not a snake he's a banana!
    or is he?

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    he's just a #pipe!

(dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun)

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ceci n'est pas une #pipe

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Ceci n'est pas une #pipe

I had that as my sig for a while

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I want it to be that the Area 51 base just has a stock of the only Avro Avrocars ever made, and they use them to make pizza runs.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I want it to be that the Area 51 base just has a stock of the only Avro Avrocars ever made, and they use them to make pizza runs.

Its Burritos but yeah they do.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It could be a large and/or small X-Man.

• Options
    Are you sitting comfortably?

Then let's begin.

I was probably about three, maybe four, my older brothers were 5 and ten or so, and we went on a big ol' hiking and camping trip up on the peninsula in Washington state, aka, prime squatch country. My uncle (later stepdad) Bruce was with us with my cousins (later step siblings) Zach and Christy, who are a few years older than my brother and I. My dad and my Uncle Bruce were both prison guards at the time and my dad carried his duty weapon, a 9mm Beretta, with him on the trip in case we came across some unfriendly wildlife that needed scaring away.

The place we we're camping at was called PJ Lake, if memory serves, and it's quite a hike to even get to the campsite, a good four miles or so, which the kids all managed pretty well despite how young we all were. Must be that fresh forest air, eh? Anyway, after a long hike we set up camp and do camping stuff until it gets dark.

As night falls, and the forest goes quiet, it goes real quiet. To use the cliche, entirely too quiet. The kids got tired and went to sleep while my dad and my uncle stayed up (probably to smoke a joint, if I know them half as well as I think I do.) I don't remember much about what happened next but my dad sure as shit does and my Uncle Bruce, who was the toughest SoB I've literally ever known, basically refused to even speak about the incident. My older brothers also remember this with perfect clarity, and before he died my older brother Stevie told me the story and it was genuinely the only time I'd ever seen true fear in his face.

A rock comes sailing into the campsite, smashing into the ground beside the fire and clattering into our kindling pile, followed by what my father describes as "a sound like a big, angry gorilla screaming into a grain pipe." My dad stands up, racks a round into his 9mm. This is the sound that woke my brothers, I was still dead tired from the hike so I didn't wake up until I heard voices, primarily my dad saying "Show yourself! I can hear you moving, I'm an officer of the law!" (which, not really? but I digress) and all the other kids asking what was going on, and I poke my head out of the tent to see my dad in a two-handed shooting stance with my Uncle Bruce standing directly over his shoulder with a camp axe in his right hand and a flashlight in his left, shining out into the woods and tracking with the barrel of his pistol.

More rocks and sticks, usually not as close as the last one, more noises from the dark, new voices added to the first, from all sides except the shore of the lake and that crystal clear water, so clear you could see straight to the bottom of the lake during the day only now it was black under the moonlight. Howls from the trees, and all us kids huddled now in the same tent reassuring each other that it was probably just a mad ol' mama black bear making sure we know who's who and what's what in her forest, but I'll tell you this; I have never known my step dad to have been afraid of anything in this life. No man nor beast. He wasn't even afraid of the cancer in the end. But to his dying day, my Uncle Bruce refused to speak of that incident. Refused. We left as dawn broke so we wouldn't break our ankles hiking out and never went camping, hiking, or fishing in those parts again, or at least, not quite so deep into those parts.

Edit: my dad and my uncle Bruce for their part were both very experienced woodsmen, with decades of combined experience hunting and fishing all over Washington, Northern California and the scrublands and mountains of Nevada, and my dad swears up and down that he, to this day, has never heard anything like the sound he heard that night, except for in one place: nature documentaries about the great apes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/PJ+Lake,+Washington+98362/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x548fcacb16ea4c25:0x2a12f520cdfe2eb9?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjz7rb52aDhAhXSuZ4KHfEMC-QQ8gEwAHoECAgQAQ

this is the lake we were camping at, by the way! there's a street view and everything, it's pretty cool. smaller than i remember.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That's a gorgeous-ass lake, and a really dynamite location for a spooky story.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so it's been a running thing that my friend's house is haunted, due to the usual spooky occurrences.
    Noises, footsteps, his bedroom door was two like, glass parlor doors? and there'd be a bunch of rapid thuds on the glass like someone was knocking to enter but there's nobody there, etc.
    The basement had a door with locks on the outside that we never managed to open.

one time I was sleeping over, I woke up because I heard footsteps in the living room and I figured "oh one of his roommates is down here." I could hear the floor creaking with their steps as they came down the stairs and walked toward the kitchen, and then back over to me, so I rolled over to be like "hey it's just me" and there was nobody there, so I made my friend let me sleep in his room lol

but he's moving out, I was helping him with his couch and bed and stuff, and when we lift his box spring, a little pendant slid out from under it, right into his hand.

jVnAsAl.jpg

It's copper, and I think maybe that's Baby's Breath inside it, it's some kind of white flower. it looks old and spooky and kind of pretty, and I think it was the ghost saying goodbye.

anyway, he gave it to me, because I always have my eye out for Relics

it reminds me of when I was a kid, and I'd go with my mom to the cemetery to see my grandparents and uncles and shit. The older stones would have little windows. Black and white portraits behind glass that's gone cloudy with weather and age.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If Supernatural has taught me anything, there is a spirit tied to that object. The ghost is now in your house.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    If Supernatural has taught me anything, there is a spirit tied to that object. The ghost is now in your house.

That's kinda what I'm hoping!

If I knew, I mean, I Want To Believe, but if I knew ghosts were real, I'd turn my home into a like, ghost haven. I'd collect their Tethers and keep them in my house, and I'd try to talk to them. My cats would fucking hate it.

• Options
    Screaming and throwing sticks in groups sounds very ape.

"Tethers" makes me think of Phantom Brave. Where you live on an island with helpful ghosts and let them possess rocks and driftwood.

I used to interpret everything as movement in the dark when I was tired, so the ceiling and everything else wouldn't stay still at night.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The ghost just wanted to travel. It'll be friendly and/or leave you alone until it gets bored.

After that. Good luck!

• Options
    so it's been a running thing that my friend's house is haunted, due to the usual spooky occurrences.
    Noises, footsteps, his bedroom door was two like, glass parlor doors? and there'd be a bunch of rapid thuds on the glass like someone was knocking to enter but there's nobody there, etc.
    The basement had a door with locks on the outside that we never managed to open.

one time I was sleeping over, I woke up because I heard footsteps in the living room and I figured "oh one of his roommates is down here." I could hear the floor creaking with their steps as they came down the stairs and walked toward the kitchen, and then back over to me, so I rolled over to be like "hey it's just me" and there was nobody there, so I made my friend let me sleep in his room lol

but he's moving out, I was helping him with his couch and bed and stuff, and when we lift his box spring, a little pendant slid out from under it, right into his hand.

jVnAsAl.jpg

It's copper, and I think maybe that's Baby's Breath inside it, it's some kind of white flower. it looks old and spooky and kind of pretty, and I think it was the ghost saying goodbye.

anyway, he gave it to me, because I always have my eye out for Relics

it reminds me of when I was a kid, and I'd go with my mom to the cemetery to see my grandparents and uncles and shit. The older stones would have little windows. Black and white portraits behind glass that's gone cloudy with weather and age.

I know no one's ever proven the existence of hauntings, but this right here is the kind of thing that makes me wonder.

• Options
    blasting out of the mojave, like a scirocco, the spooky thread is back with Coast To Coast's George Knapp interviewing a real, no-kidding US NAVY eye-witness to the famous "Nimitz Incident" ufo sighting. There is, in fact, official video of the incident.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWOtrke0HY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giap3fil1VM

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I had a weird experience when I went to sleep once. There was a pattering in my pillow like a machine gun shot at it. I just fluffed the pillow and went back to sleep.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I had a weird experience when I went to sleep once. There was a pattering in my pillow like a machine gun shot at it. I just fluffed the pillow and went back to sleep.
    That happens to me sometimes too. It's definitely something in your ear

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    It’s just the spiders in your ear settling down for the nights sleep

• Options
    I've gotten that hypnogogic jerk thing a few times with like an accompanying popping or cracking noise, like a firecracker going off

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Exploding head syndrome!

• Options
    Wtf that's a much cooler name than the actual thing that happens what a fucking rip-off!

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Well you're just experiencing the initial stages.

The true meaning of the name comes into effect when you're scraping your brains off the wall.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Also, two times when I have been sleeping, I felt something moving in my pillow. I checked and there was nothing. I guess it was a hallucination.

That was months ago.

• Options
    I used to, for some dumb reason, try and avoid sleep for as long as I could. My record was 40ish hours. It would have been longer but I actually fell prey to boredom before getting too tired to function

let me tell you guys about sleep deprivation hallucinations. They're uh, not great

I've been followed by a herd of shadow cats, saw my staircase streeeeeeetch upwards endlessly, had conversations with people and then turned around and I had been talking to no one

I was actually getting ready to go to sleep after being up for a while and my tinnitus started acting up. It turns into unintelligible voices that are getting louder and louder and I'm actually sitting on my bed holding my ears, regretting every decision that led to this, as it becomes unbearably loud, and then someone in my head shouted my name and all the voices stopped and I was like "okay bed time"

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Sometimes I don't fall asleep for a long time, but the room starts to make less sense, and I stay awake in bed for hours and hours but morning never comes, and then I realise that I've woken up because I'm not in the same room anymore, and in fact the room I spent all that time in wasn't like my own room or necessarily a room I've seen before in the first place.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Also, two times when I have been sleeping, I felt something moving in my pillow. I checked and there was nothing. I guess it was a hallucination.

That was months ago.

It was the pillow.

PLA on
  • Options
    Yooooo guess who fuckin realized that he's related to at least three actual murderers it's this guuuuuyyyyyyy

• Options
    Yooooo guess who fuckin realized that he's related to at least three actual murderers it's this guuuuuyyyyyyy

Oh we're all related to murderers. Some more recently than others sure but thats not a big deal.

As long as you dont inherit their murder weapon and awaken your murder power

• Options
    They run the gamut too. Personal revenge, robbery gone wrong, and [MISSING INFORMATION]