As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    You know, of all three act 1 elites I definitely often have the worst time against the Nob. I'll happily take the other two every time.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    The only elite I've never had a problem beating is the Nemesis in Act 3. All the others have killed me a bunch, but I don't think Nemesis has ever ended a run of mine.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    You know, of all three act 1 elites I definitely often have the worst time against the Nob. I'll happily take the other two every time.

I'll take the triple pyramids any time, they're generally really easy.

Nob is pretty hard, and Lagavulin is a jerk. Depending on the deck, I'm sometimes coming out of those taking 40+ damage. Triple pyramids are often close to a perfect fight.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The only elite I've never had a problem beating is the Nemesis in Act 3. All the others have killed me a bunch, but I don't think Nemesis has ever ended a run of mine.

He was way more difficult before he got a balance patch. Now his pattern of safe/vulnerable is predicable and not completely busted.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    That's the intangible guy, yeah? I've definitely died to him throwing out 45 damage repeatedly with bad block draws. <_< That guy is pretty trivial right up until he really really isn't. XD

[edit]
    I did the daily climb this morning, which wasn't altogether that interesting. You're terminal with all the curse gear, which is meant to keep you going. Except I pretty easily got a full power deck online, so the ju-ju doll feels really moot, and actually having to balance curses would have been more interesting than being able to easily pull them out (not that I DID pull out many, just the two actually annoying ones).
    Gosh my score was bad though. I got like 900-something while the leaderboard top is all 1300+. I know it's all bologna, but still, I kinda figured I'd at least break 1k. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Man.
    ... Man.

Went for the relic-less run achievement, and got a starting bonus of 100 gold. Floor 3 I was able to buy a Hand Of Greed because I figured "big damage, will pay for itself, whatever."
    I proceeded to use it at least once every fight and had like 800 gold at the start of floor 2. AND I CAN'T USE IT TO BUY RELICS.
    I promptly died at the Act 2 boss because my deck just didn't really get the right options. I honestly think a single alternate block card came up (True Grit, which I took).
    I wasn't racing the Champ. But hey, I died with over 1000 gold in my name. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hand of Greed is a pretty good buy on not-Ironclad, IME, and not even an especially bad one there, if you can get it early.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Hand of Greed is a pretty good buy on not-Ironclad, IME, and not even an especially bad one there, if you can get it early.

Even on ironclad i think it's a good buy - I think the condition is though you need to be able to get it early (We're talking first/second shop early), AND you need the damage (...and there has to be nothing else in the shop that'd do the job better). Which is a rare set of circumstances.

Balance rambling: I think they need to tweak Ectoplasm. I think my favoured tweak right now would be having it increase the costs of shops - possibly just double the cost, possibly only by half. You could also just have it reduce the amount of gold you get, rather than complete stop you gaining gold. Given it's only available at the end of act 1, i think it's a trap to take currently. Mark of Pain is in a similar, but slightly less bad case (You can, at least, make Mark of Pain work if you've managed to bottle Evolve+).

But gold is just too important to the game and actually winning runs to have two (and a bit) acts be no gold gain. At least from an A20/Heart perspective. It bugs me D:

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I never take Ectoplasm. It has never seemed worthwhile. Even as an Act 2 reward, I’m going to hit at least a couple shops before the end. Without gold I can’t buy cards or relics that help me scale.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I never take Ectoplasm. It has never seemed worthwhile. Even as an Act 2 reward, I’m going to hit at least a couple shops before the end. Without gold I can’t buy cards or relics that help me scale.

It's impossible to get as an act 2 reward, it's strictly act 1 only. (i may be wrong, but i belive that's the case). Which... makes it even worse, really.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I didn’t know that, yeah in that case I just will never take it.

• Options
    After 20 losses in a row, many in the first act, I finally beat A18 w/The Defect.

tx8n4hoehe3g.png

I got a Defragment after the first fight and a Data Disk after the first free Elite kill. Figured I'd focus on Lightning/Frost Orbs to scale. Midway through the first act, I got an Echo Form which I quickly upgraded. Figuring this deck was were it needed to be, I cruised through the rest of the floor.

But then disaster struck. I was never given an Energy option. This meant that Echo Form hardly ever got to see play because passing a turn meant absurd damage. The first fight on the second act had the 3 black blob things link up for 60 damage, nearly ending the run. Fortunately the Royal Pillow saved me mid run and I was able to purchase an Apotheosis from a shop.

The third floor got me the 999 gold for 2 curses event, which followed two back-to-back shops to remove them. I snagged the healing urn w/power and never had a health issue again. Final boss was the Time Eater and mass Defragments+ and Creative AI carried the win. I didn't even get a chance to play Echo Form the entire fight. :D

Even with a deck this strong, I still never feel comfortable going into Elite fights. It's probably PTSD from defeats on the first Act Elites. After all this hundreds of hours of playing, I never really know when is a good time to take them on. With the fossilized insect and card quality, the choices were easy, but even then I avoid a fight with Elites on the second and third acts.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    how do you generate those run summary images

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever upgraded echo form.

It's like you said, either you play it or you can't. If you can't play it, might as well let it disappear and stop clogging the deck.

Also, turbo is a common.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    @MNC Dover First off, congrats! Getting closer to the treasured grail of A20. I am of course expecting you to kill the heart at a20 on all three classes as well. THERE IS NO REST FOR YOU, DOVER.

Honestly my only advice there is to... fight elites. With the expectation that you'll die mind - just try and figure out WHY you died. After enough of this you develop a Spiresense of when you can take elites vs when you cant.

For some slightly more helpful advice... In A2: How do you beat book of stabbing? (Bronze Thorns, Disarm, Piercing Wail, Malaise, upset robot screaming noises). How do you beat Tri Slavers? (Burst AOE, very strong single target damage.) How do you beat Gremlin Leader? (Reliable AoE/Single Target damage, Ai manipulation).

In act 3 it's only really Giant Head and Reptomancer to worry about - Giant head is basically "Ya better scale fast, boi" (Having Apparitions, or similar ways to survive gives you longer to setup). Reptomancer demands that you be able to put down some serious AoE on turn 2. Nemesis is... kind of a joke to "oh, it just killed me." It's hard to plan for because it depends on whether it ai smothers your deck and then dunks you with back to back 47ish damage attacks... or just waffles around with multi attacks and falls over dead. Generally though it's by far the safest elite (like frigging Tangled Mass is more dangerous)

Meanwhile, because apparently i believe in answering people and then one upping them (i'm mostly sorry!), here's my 46th A20 heart kill.
    18A168C8D3570FF1AD7FFF40E38CD2C9DE79AF26

This was a very nice palette cleanser after a bunch of back to back frustrating losses. Perfected awoken one... after deploying 7 powers on the first form. Perfect Donu and Deca too. Wraith Form ended up... not getting cast a lot. So much fun to just draw every power in the deck t1, play them all, and then kick back and laugh as things go *dwoink* off the massive piles of block. Discovery+ was pretty fun, mostly as a way to find multiple extra powers.

Extra funny for awoken one: It killing itself with me having 5 block remaining, thus keeping my perfect intact.

Powerful things here were just abusing the hell out of being able to see 18-19 cards t1, which you know, 28 card deck... Pretty hard to miss powers. Then you got every power into play t1, and then... *dwoink intensifies*

and bonus Pandora's box and decklist from the VoD a few posts back
    847DE31799505E0A6BEC77437D597AE8C806D3FB37440ED6496E97F0B049342778467A1108B06D57

For this one i recommend just watching the vod to see what it does. Though honestly the answer is "Dead branch, dead branch, deaaaad braaaanch~". I do like the bit in the VoD where i was trying to figure out where Storm of Steel had come from, failing to remember it'd been in the box. Whoops.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    how do you generate those run summary images

It's in one of the menu options. Statistics, then Run History of something like that?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Excellent. It is done.
    crr5jvjtzkkt.png

I can't really complain because this panned out, but man, an early act 1 pickup of poison tools, followed by NO OTHER POISON CARDS until Act 2 boss rewards ... was not ideal for sure. Bonus point for 3 of my ?s for being treasure chests during the relic-less run.
    Escape Plan with only 4 attacks in the deck is fun, and Impatience is really nice free card draw too. Just some good little bits coming together here~

• Options
    Does smoke bomb work on the act 4 elites?

I just passed on buying it cause I didn't want to discard the potions I had for the boss

But I die to the guards more often, I think I should have just got it.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I just passed on buying it cause I didn't want to discard the potions I had for the boss

Yeah, it's just a "normal" Elite fight.

Steam profile
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    The hardest part of the one relic run is taking a chest or elite relic without thinking about it and not noticing until five floors later, twenty runs in a row.

• Options

It works, but you need to kill off one of the guards first to get rid of the Surrounded buff.

• Options

It works, but you need to kill off one of the guards first to get rid of the Surrounded buff.

Ah right, I forgot about that

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    kime wrote: »

Ah right, I forgot about that

Personally, i dont think it's worth it - The power you get from that extra relic and card choice (and sometimes even potion) can be enough to push you over the edge into victory. There's probably a pretty narrow window where it is worthwhile... but if you're able to judge when your deck can beat the heart vs being unable to beat the a4 elites, shit, you're doing better than me.

(Also, it's super rare your deck can kill one without being able to kill or being close to killing the other, i feel like?)

Meanwhile, adding some notches on my belt made out of heart pelts:
    9297F821C7FDC58A528379BD92170EB91F0B1D29

This one was weird. It never felt exceptionally powerful, but it never felt super weak - Getting through Awoken One and Time Eater was rough. Heart and Elite were conversely pretty easy - Mainly down ot me having found a Caltrops, then getting caltrops+ from the Elite fight. (Also super luck on being able to Nightmare -> After Image both fights). Sniping the triple Parasite event to get Odd Mushroom was super sweet though.

Either way, it was just a weeeerid deck. I did actually like the mayhem pickup. Except for the times it Mayhem'd Unload and got rid of all my defends ;.; Fun tho'. It's very rare i get to see Mayhem and go "yep, i want that".

And this one was "Limp through act 1 and 2, then assemble exodia, win." (Exodia in this case being Corruption/Juggernaught/Feel No Pain/Dark Embrace with a frigging snecko eye).

9B44A507E6BF1F24AA404AF255EFBC9584990B17

Did have to do a redo of this, because apparently the game is a little bullshit - I was under the impression that Reaper's heal applied before thorns, or at least at the same time. Apparently not. ...I'm sure I've seen different results before, but that resulted in instant death >.<

So that puts me at 48 heart kills on a20. Really hoping we get word on a new class soon - i'm hungry for more official options. (Not so interested in mods, to be honest)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    No, if you have to kill one of them, it's totally not worth it. Glad I didn't buy it then

• Options
    Also, I've just gone live if anyone wants to join me for some Spire slaying.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Owwww. I have given myself a headache playing the game. 3 energy echo form/Dead branch/recycle/turbo deck. Owww.

It had no focus. Died to the heart because of a combo of bad draws, and it just couldn't deal with the status flood from aforementioned heart. Good at dealing with it's own status flooding though!

I think if this had found a mummified hand, maaaaybe something else, it might have won? Dunno. It needed SOMETHING more.
    7782635588B6725AF17AF7EE3CCE56C4F9625BB1

Also about to go live again, doing some silent and defect runs for a bit.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Getting there, with a deck that could Powers so hard it ruined the Awaken One:
    723363269B762364CB02DF9BE41C090D3A56AFA8

E: Also, there's no way I make it through floor 4 without a clutch Smokebomb for the Reptomancer. Just none.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I have a run I started earlier that I had to suspend when we had dinner. But I think I perfected the Guardian in my favourite way ever ...
    My run started with trade HP for a rare relic, which net me Fossilized Helix. Good trade.
    Somewhere before the end of act 1 I found Nightmare, Dexterity (which I smithed), and mummified hand. I was able to Nightmare Dexterity when he lazer'd me, and then play my whole hand the following turn. The dude isn't meant to cope with you getting 17 block from every defend. :P

• Options
    to be fair @ArcticLancer I dont think ANYTHING in the game is able to cope with that. (Like seriously, that's beat the heart on a20 level dfenses).

On that note: 49 Heart kills on A20 now. This one was recorded... but it was a silent stream where i forgot to mute the audio output for a while so uh, you'd get random kamen rider ex-aid noises and no actual commentary, so let's not do that.

Good example of a deck that was great vs bosses, and otherwise kinda had issues. Reptomancer stoved it's face in, and it literally walked into the a3 bosses at 8 hp. It walked out at 53 hp with a perfect awoken one, showing you what a good deck with Pantograph can do. Also a good example of the power of upgrades - Every act 1 and 2 campfire was dedicated to upgrades, to excellent effect. Shame it never got Snecko eye though!
    35BD87A34E48F2975A9FB411ADDC07BBF25E6FB1

So hopefully in the next day or two i can pull off 50 a20 heart wins =D (...I've had a bunch of very close runs that just haven't quite managed to make it, but still = i'm mostly pleased with them, the fact i'm more consistently hitting the a3 bosses/heart is a great sign for my growing skill)

Thansk for everyone who's been joining in and discussing things with me by the by - really enjoying chatting with you as i play =)

• Options
    Personally I think you should have 50 heart kills. Oh sick Burn bro!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Finished that run from last night. Act 3 bosses were Time Eater and Shapes.
    I maintain I just make stupid decks.
    0huc143y63nl.png

Special thanks to Dream Catcher and Pipe appearing within the last half of act 3 where there was only the final campfire to go to. I really would have appreciated those options sooner after taking no smithing from act 1. :P
    Also, I shit you not that I passed up 2 more copies of Dodge & Roll.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Personally I think you should have 50 heart kills. Oh sick Burn bro!

@MNC Dover Ehhh, i aint convinced we won that run even without dying due to a burn (For everyone else: Burn ate the last buffer charge, que splat from the big attack of the heart). It'd have needed a lot of luck with getting frost orbs/lighting orbs in the right mix. Maybe we did though, oh well!

@ArcticLancer Noice work! Not quite sure you needed that many noxious fumes, but hey, it clearly worked!

On that note, i'm going live. Let's see if we cant break 50 heart kills today!

• Options
    Mummified Hand says every Noxious Fumes is welcome at this party!

• Options
    We had 1hp two rooms before the act 1 boss. You’d all but given up, but I told you to believe. The run turned you into the Dread Pirate Roberts:

“Good night, Defect. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the next floor.”

I’m convinced we were destined to win that run and leave the Spire. Snecko, Echo Form, and Creative AI would have carried us to victory. It was written in the ancient texts I tell you!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    We had 1hp two rooms before the act 1 boss. You’d all but given up, but I told you to believe. The run turned you into the Dread Pirate Roberts:

“Good night, Defect. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the next floor.”

I’m convinced we were destined to win that run and leave the Spire. Snecko, Echo Form, and Creative AI would have carried us to victory. It was written in the ancient texts I tell you!

Yet we died, so... Eh. I could replay the seed, but i'm just not feeling it - that was one of the more stressful and less fun runs i'd played in a long while. Also i dislike reloads nad replaying seeds in general.

Still, +1 internet point for that reference. Back to streaming post a nap!

• Options
    Once more, i ascend the spire. Come provide moral support!

And you know, ask questions

• Options
    I had a Defect run with tons of orbs and easy power setup come to a crashing halt at turn 2 of snake lady

Fuck snake lady right in the eye

• Options
    I think Reptomancer is often the Act 2 elite I prefer to run into, actually ...
    Like, it should probably be Slavers, but I think once I hit A18 and they powered up they can be a massive problem if you can't kill one of them turn 1. Reptomancer summoning two swords a turn isn't exactly great either, but ...

• Options
    I think Reptomancer is often the Act 2 elite I prefer to run into, actually ...
    Like, it should probably be Slavers, but I think once I hit A18 and they powered up they can be a massive problem if you can't kill one of them turn 1. Reptomancer summoning two swords a turn isn't exactly great either, but ...

Reptomancer's like, "lol here's 4000 damage turn 2. Hope you came prepared!"

Steam profile
  • Options
    Slavers put out consistent damage every turn but nobody has an insane turn 2 damage output like Reptomancer

She has ended more good runs than I can recall