As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shit I had one where everything was dead because the main was cut up the street and they didn't have any backup generators or anything.

It was still "of course we have power" until I showed up at the client's site and no, they very clearly did not and when questioned about the lie it was met with "You guys never take us seriously so I wanted to make sure someone would actually come out and help us instead of dismissing us"

yeah I don't think that's how that works bro

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Did you say:
    "We don't take you seriously because you're a fucking idiot?"

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Did you say:
    "We don't take you seriously because you're a fucking idiot?"

I went on "hiatus" and came back and we had dropped them as a client so I'm not really sure how that shook out!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Man you're a stronger man than I. I would have tested the absolute limits of my professionalism if a user pulled that crap on me. Hell, a user did technically pull that on me on a lesser scale when they refused to troubleshoot an issue over the phone and made me walk 3 buildings over to their desk, only to find out she called me over for support because our phone response times were, according to her, unacceptable and wanted in-person support to resolve an issue I could have solved in 5 minutes over the phone instead.

• Options
    22ish year old bowen was a weak human

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I have a coworker with a similar story - he was doing onsite helpdesk for a client, and a user came in demanding immediate support instead of putting in a ticket. He was on the phone and held up a finger to indicate that she needed to wait, and she jabbed her finger into the desk phone receiver to hang up his current call. He called the person back and said "I'm sorry, someone here is being very rude. Where were we?"

The user didn't quite get fired, but it was close.

• Options
    Hmm, an entire network switch went down last night at one of our satellite locations and somehow none of our monitoring caught it.

How is your day going?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm no longer on-call, so my day is going fucking great

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    My oncall week began on Friday. I was lucky this weekend. I only got a couple of calls that totalled up to just an hour and a half of billable time. I didn't even have to go anywhere. It was all done remotely.

• Options
    Hell yeah, spending 30 minutes totally unable to figure out why a web app isn't receiving traffic on port 80 only to learn that the service object group in the firewall "HTTP & HTTPS" doesn't actually have HTTP added to it.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Woooo. Third interview get!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    The Pentest account I was using ran out of credits, open source here I come.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    The Pentest account I was using ran out of credits, open source here I come.

I first read that as Pintrest and I had a lot of questions.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ok, Powershell question for you experts. I have report scripts to pull all our clients' O365 users and associated licenses, and to provide a license count by client.

The user list works fine and spits out a CSV as per this function:
    2ikotvncvwm0.png

The client license count just pulls that CSV and processes it like so:
    jbtw867pna6r.png

The result is fine, except that the Name column reads "Contoso Manufacturing Solutions, ContosoManufacturingSolutions:O365_BUSINESS_PREMIUM" and the Licenses column is empty.

I don't think this is actually a problem for the person who uses this report, but I'm curious why I can't get the export to split into columns and if there's a smarter way to do this.

For what it's worth, running the command without the 'export-csv' bit displays the info in the same way.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Holy fucking shit, I just spent 7 hours trying to upgrade GFI Languard from 12.1 to 12.4, and then end was infuriating.

It was failing over and over and over. I did make some progress where I finally tracked down a SQL script that repaired some table issues with the upgrade and allowed it to proceed past the database upgrade portion of the 12.4 install. The installer then proceeded to juuuuuuust before complete and flipped to "the installation ended prematurely due to an error, no changes were made". I wanted to rip hair out. Anyone's hair, preferably someone who worked at GFI, preferably their pubic hair.

I spent a couple more hours googling and checking event logs and trying .NET patches and finally fucking gave up and started opening a service ticket. Their service portal wants to know the exact build of the software you're on, so I launch it. I know it was 12.1 build 2016something.

Splash screen comes up. Version 12.4, build 20180706. Current. Yeah, the install had been running fine the whole time, the installation error window was a false positive.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Cog on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @TL DR you probably can’t Group-Object on 2 properties in the same command.

• Options
    $Feldorn if I just run the group-object on both properties and pipe it to format-list I get this result (edited for anonymity):

Name : Contoso Manufacturing Solutions, reseller365123456:O365_BUSINESS_PREMIUM
    Count : 2
    Group : {@{CustomerName=Contoso Manufacturing Solutions; DisplayName=John Smith; Licenses=reseller365123456:O365_BUSINESS_PREMIUM; TenantId=[redacted]; UserPrincipalName=jsmith@contoso.com}, @{CustomerName=Contoso Manufacturing Solutions; DisplayName=Bob Hughes; Licenses=reseller365123456:O365_BUSINESS_PREMIUM; TenantId=[ID]; UserPrincipalName=bhughes@contoso.com}
    Values : {Contoso Manufacturing Solutions, reseller365123456:O365_BUSINESS_PREMIUM}

Should I be trying to send all this to a variable and then pull data from that aggregated group object or something? If I run Group-Object -property customername | Group-Object Licenses then the output is blank for the CustomerName and Licenses columns and just has one row with a Count value that I think equals the total number of clients.

• Options
    lol @Feldorn

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    TL DR wrote: »
    Ok, Powershell question for you experts. I have report scripts to pull all our clients' O365 users and associated licenses, and to provide a license count by client.

The user list works fine and spits out a CSV as per this function:
    2ikotvncvwm0.png

The client license count just pulls that CSV and processes it like so:
    jbtw867pna6r.png

The result is fine, except that the Name column reads "Contoso Manufacturing Solutions, ContosoManufacturingSolutions:O365_BUSINESS_PREMIUM" and the Licenses column is empty.

I don't think this is actually a problem for the person who uses this report, but I'm curious why I can't get the export to split into columns and if there's a smarter way to do this.

For what it's worth, running the command without the 'export-csv' bit displays the info in the same way.

group-object returns Name, Count, Group, and Values. You can't directly select "licenses" as a column because it doesn't exist. You can use calculated properties to pull the original column data out of the group array.

$data | group-object -Property customername, licenses | Select-Object @{n='Name';e={$_.Group[0].DisplayName}}, @{n='Licenses';e={$_.Group[0].Licenses}}, Count | export-csv -path $path2 -append -notypeinformation

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Hey, that works, thank you! (though it's @{n='Name';e={$_.Group[0].CustomerName}} and not .DisplayName)

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Because Google doesn't want to parse @{n=, what can I search to read more about how that works?

Trying to interpret the line Select-Object @{n='Name';e={$_.Group[0].DisplayName}}, I feel like it means
    -From the previous command, select the following:
    -a property to be called 'Name', which refers to the property of the previous group labeled DisplayName

I'm curious where the @{n and ;e={ syntax comes from, though, and what else I can do with it.

TL DR on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    "calculated properties"

n and e can also be Name and Expression

tbh I didn't know there was a shortcut, I've never find a piece of documentation on them that explains their inner workings... it seems like it's just basically a very specific overload (a hashtabe with a Name and Expression key plus also Expression's value is a script block)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Because Google doesn't want to parse @{n=, what can I search to read more about how that works?

Trying to interpret the line Select-Object @{n='Name';e={$_.Group[0].DisplayName}}, I feel like it means
    -From the previous command, select the following:
    -a property to be called 'Name', which refers to the property of the previous group labeled DisplayName

I'm curious where the @{n and ;e={ syntax comes from, though, and what else I can do with it.

It's defining custom columns with "Name" (n) and "Expression" (e). I wasn't aware you could shorten "Name" to "n" and "Expression" to "e", but nifty.

You can read a little more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/select-object?view=powershell-6

If you look at the "-property" section under "Parameters" it goes into a little detail about the computed columns.

• Options
    Calculated Properties is also the name of my indie band.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Calculated Properties is also the name of my indie band.

What a coincidence! That's also the name of my real estate investment firm.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    After a 3-year hiatus as a business systems analyst, I'm back to being a sysadmin again. On paper, I'm still listed as a systems analyst on a dev team, but the majority of my job now is sysadmin for a JIVE platform. I hadn't touched a Linux system in 15 years and am the first person to work on the system in over a year, so it's been interesting. I went from doing SharePoint support (having that outsourced partly due to all of my documentation) to doing requirements gathering (fucking boring ass shit), to managing a 40+ node system with not-so-helpful documentation for anyone just starting work to on it and a vendor that is notorious for shitty support. It's frustrating work, but I love the hell out of it compared to all that BSA crap I was doing before.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine alerted me to this Reddit post. It may have already shown up in the programming thread. I have no idea. I figured you guys would appreciate it more.
    mfc3e29yb28f.jpg

Also how much did that company spend on their coffee machine?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    A friend of mine alerted me to this Reddit post. It may have already shown up in the programming thread. I have no idea. I figured you guys would appreciate it more.
    mfc3e29yb28f.jpg

Also how much did that company spend on their coffee machine?

https://github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts

• Options
    Really? After hours, I am not on call, and you're calling me for a QA branch issue?

Fuck right off.

• Options
    Need some opinions.

We currently run trend micro officescan as our client Antivirus (I know).

I'm working on a project on doing windows 10 client updates since almost all of our win10 machines are on 1803, which comes out of support in November, and we have about 10 on 1709 which comes out of support.... today. The snag I've run into is that Trend has to be uninstalled to do the windows version updates, which is obviously not ideal.

But that's not my question.

My question is do you guys thing that the regular built in windows defender is good enough as a business level AV solution? We have about 100 machines, updates would get pushed via wsus on a regular basis, etc.

If the overwhelming opinion is no that's fine, I'll just have to start looking at alternatives to trend, since my workaround to uninstalling trend on machines that need the win10 upgrade is... messy.

• Options
    Need some opinions.

I'm working on a project on doing windows 10 client updates since almost all of our win10 machines are on 1803, which comes out of support in November, and we have about 10 on 1709 which comes out of support.... today. The snag I've run into is that Trend has to be uninstalled to do the windows version updates, which is obviously not ideal.

My question is do you guys thing that the regular built in windows defender is good enough as a business level AV solution? We have about 100 machines, updates would get pushed via wsus on a regular basis, etc.

If the overwhelming opinion is no that's fine, I'll just have to start looking at alternatives to trend, since my workaround to uninstalling trend on machines that need the win10 upgrade is... messy.

We use windows defender on all our end user workstations. I think a sticky note stuck to everyone monitors asking them not to click on suspicious links is a better AV than trendmicro, so defender is most definitely an upgrade.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Need some opinions.

There was a fix released by Trend for the uninstall notice.

https://success.trendmicro.com/solution/1121159

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Regex question related to BGP AS path filtering...

So, ^$ (aka start, end) is the correct expression to denote a null string -- which in the case of AS Path would denote a locally originated route.

I found a router that has this mistyped as $^ (aka end, start). I'm not 100% sure what I would expect this to do, but I wouldn't expect it to parse the same way that ^$ does...except, if I check, that's exactly what it does. Using "show ip bgp regexp ^$" and "show ip bgp regexp $^" return the exact same routes.

So this is mostly an academic question for me, but are ^$ and $^ actually functionally identical (even though the latter doesn't really make sense)? Or is Cisco's implementation just forgivingly allowing something that doesn't really make sense? Or am I straying too far outside my expertise and missing something entirely?

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Man..my boss moved a bunch of servers to GCP and secured their RDP behind a bastion server, which i'd never heard of before but ok, upon googling it I understand the concept..except he didn't document any of it and I need in and fucked if i can figure out how...And he's off @ a conference...yay... Tried giving my IP full access rights to bypass bastion and connect directly to the servers but that doesn't work so he has it locked down somewhere else as well...Yay security!..but tell me how to get in through said security first plz :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    Regex question related to BGP AS path filtering...

So, ^$ (aka start, end) is the correct expression to denote a null string -- which in the case of AS Path would denote a locally originated route.

I found a router that has this mistyped as $^ (aka end, start). I'm not 100% sure what I would expect this to do, but I wouldn't expect it to parse the same way that ^$ does...except, if I check, that's exactly what it does. Using "show ip bgp regexp ^$" and "show ip bgp regexp $^" return the exact same routes.

So this is mostly an academic question for me, but are ^$ and $^ actually functionally identical (even though the latter doesn't really make sense)? Or is Cisco's implementation just forgivingly allowing something that doesn't really make sense? Or am I straying too far outside my expertise and missing something entirely?

It makes sense, technically they mean "at the start/end" so:

"Am I at the start, then am I at the end?" True for an empty string.
    "Am I at the end, then am I at the start?" True for an empty string.

"Am I at the start, then is there a character, then am I at the end?" True for a string such as "j".
    "Am I at the end, then is there a character, then am I at the start?" Never true.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Another way to understand is it can't be a "match" itself like other patterns in that they advance the cursor, so to speak.

[a-z]+ would match and advance 1 or more lowercase letters. [a-z]+[0-9]+ would only match for letters then digits, in that combination and order, because when you work through each piece in order you match and advance.

^ means "am I currently at the start?" and doesn't match/capture any characters itself, so you don't advance. So when nothing else is present, both questions are true, and the order you ask doesn't matter.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Going for an interview tomorrow at a place where it would be me, a helpdesk guy, and the IT director, managing a 450-user network.

Huge potential to do cool projects, looks like a ~20% raise, but also huge potential to be a nightmare.

• Options
    Going for an interview tomorrow at a place where it would be me, a helpdesk guy, and the IT director, managing a 450-user network.

Huge potential to do cool projects, looks like a ~20% raise, but also huge potential to be a nightmare.

Lmao, yeah, nah. Good money, but upping my commute by 10 minutes to sit in a dirty, windowless IT room is not the move I was looking for.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Lmao, yeah, nah. Good money, but upping my commute by 10 minutes to sit in a dirty, windowless IT room is not the move I was looking for.

Plus that ratio of support to end user does not sound manageable by any stretch of the imagination. My previous place was supporting about 250 users and even at our "highest" where it was 4 of us and our boss, we struggled to keep up between day to day ticket handling, projects, telephony, random disasters etc. Then the company kept cutting staff, and even continued to cut after I quit last year for health reasons due to the unbearable stress. (Yay Blood Pressure meds at 30!)

They're now down to 1 help desk guy who came on right as I was leaving in November, the main phone guy and some Network Engineer they hired 2 weeks ago after they shitcanned the engineer who had been around forever and actually BUILT the goddamn network. When I left our ticket queue was cracking over 1000 backlogged cases, and when I talked to the new guy a few days ago, it's now hit over 1400.

And apparently they don't want to hire more people. Granted, maybe because we worked in a travel call center that depends on critical SLAs that the tempo was so brutal, but I can't even imagine trying to support double that with what you're describing.

• Options
    I have my last set of interviews next Friday.

They are bringing me in for two sets of interviews and a presentation on my best project next Friday.

This discussion has been closed.