As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Maybe brass Birmingham ruined me but that seems like a lot of money for that amount of components.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Re: Danger averse kids. Hmm, not sure on Mice and Mystics. I feel being a small mouse ravaged by an owl will be worse rather than better than being a Dwarf being attacked by a goblin. Being captured rather than killed might help? I think a mate has the game so I'll see if I can get a test drive.

Arcadia Quest with it's cartoony look and the fact you just get sent home to base rather than killed might help, but possibly a bit too PvP and not sure if the team of three would help or hinder proceedings. I'll look further into it. The aesthetic reminded me of Super Dungeon Explore which I might look into as well.

Have you looked into Stuffed Fables? I don't know a lot about it other than it is a co-op adventure game starring a group of stuffed animals. I know there are enemies working against you, but I don't know the context of how. But it does look like there's still combat involved in some form, so maybe that's not great either.

Edit: Now that I've had a little time to look at the rulebook without having to worry about getting to work, there is definitely combat. Stuffing is used in the place of health. As you get attacked, you lose stuffing (if you fail to defend enough of the damage). If you lose all your stuffing, you collapse. There are ways to generate more stuffing during your round, even if you're collapsed. You can also share stuffing through an Encourage action. There's also no upper limit on stuffing, so you can keep filling your stuffed animal as long as you can keep finding/sharing it.

taoofshinsei on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Ketar wrote: »
    AhPook's enthusiasm sold me on backing SeaRovers. Sadly, the campaign was canceled this evening due to low funding. It sounds like they'll tweak things a bit and re-launch at a later date.

Yea launching without gameplay videos and stuff didn't do him any favors I guess. It was limping towards the finish. I just hope the relaunch retains what appealed to me about the first campaign (beyond the cool looking game natch). stuff like no crazy stretch goals and Kickstarter nonsense, a single reasonably priced pledge level etc. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

Ah_Pook on
  • tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    Re: Danger averse kids. Hmm, not sure on Mice and Mystics. I feel being a small mouse ravaged by an owl will be worse rather than better than being a Dwarf being attacked by a goblin. Being captured rather than killed might help? I think a mate has the game so I'll see if I can get a test drive.

Arcadia Quest with it's cartoony look and the fact you just get sent home to base rather than killed might help, but possibly a bit too PvP and not sure if the team of three would help or hinder proceedings. I'll look further into it. The aesthetic reminded me of Super Dungeon Explore which I might look into as well.

Have you looked into Stuffed Fables? I don't know a lot about it other than it is a co-op adventure game starring a group of stuffed animals. I know there are enemies working against you, but I don't know the context of how. But it does look like there's still combat involved in some form, so maybe that's not great either.

I was going to mention Stuffed Fables as well. It's even by the same people that made Mice and Mystics. Basically, you play as a little girls stuffed animals that protect her while she's sleeping. You go into another world/realm and have various things you are trying to do (there are 7 stories I believe in the game). The enemy miniatures can be a little scary looking for young kids (some of them are basically a little dolls head on a robot spider body, think of that one toy in Sids room from Toy Story). That said, I'm playing with two of my girls (ages 6 and 9) and they've loved it so far through 3 stories.

As noted, there is still combat in it and when you take damage you lose stuffing (which is your health). You can collapse, but other stuffies can give you stuffing to revive you and bring you back in. All the weapons are like household items, from rubberband bows and pencils, to things like kitchen knives.

Also, the fun thing about it is that the "board" is a story book with one page showing the map you use and the other page having all the story and other points on the map there. Once you finish the objective on the page you move to the next page and you get a new map and more story, etc.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    I was going to mention Stuffed Fables as well. It's even by the same people that made Mice and Mystics. Basically, you play as a little girls stuffed animals that protect her while she's sleeping. You go into another world/realm and have various things you are trying to do (there are 7 stories I believe in the game). The enemy miniatures can be a little scary looking for young kids (some of them are basically a little dolls head on a robot spider body, think of that one toy in Sids room from Toy Story). That said, I'm playing with two of my girls (ages 6 and 9) and they've loved it so far through 3 stories.

As noted, there is still combat in it and when you take damage you lose stuffing (which is your health). You can collapse, but other stuffies can give you stuffing to revive you and bring you back in. All the weapons are like household items, from rubberband bows and pencils, to things like kitchen knives.

Also, the fun thing about it is that the "board" is a story book with one page showing the map you use and the other page having all the story and other points on the map there. Once you finish the objective on the page you move to the next page and you get a new map and more story, etc.

I really hope this game is in print in, oh, we'll say about 5 years (my girls are currently 2 1/2 and 8 mos., respectively). I mean, I could argue to my wife that we need to buy it now for later, but...

(Ugh, you've sold me on this game and now I have to pay attention to it)

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Ivellius wrote: »

I really hope this game is in print in, oh, we'll say about 5 years (my girls are currently 2 1/2 and 8 mos., respectively). I mean, I could argue to my wife that we need to buy it now for later, but...

Mine is only 9 months and I am in the exact same situation. This sounds amazing.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular

Hah, sorry (not sorry :biggrin:)! Considering Mice and Mystics seems to have been in print for a while now you might have a good chance of that (or maybe they reprinted I'm not sure). If nothing else though keep an eye on it's pricing on Amazon. Every now and then it dips down to about $40, which isn't a bad price for it. Although 5 years might be a while to hang on to a game...

I also think it's not a bad game to play even with just adults, although I haven't done that yet, it just skews a little easy by default. There are some variants on the plaid hats site that you can use to up the difficulty though if you wanted. So you could always convince her to get it sooner rather than later so that the two of you could play it to get a good idea of how old you think they might need to be to play and enjoy the game. That of course depends on how much you want to experience going through the story first with the kids though. :)

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • FryFry Registered User regular

If the game is good, it'll still be around in 5 years. If it's not still around in 5 years, maybe it wasn't that good, or maybe something even better for the niche came along!

This is the sort of thing I tell myself whenever I hear about a cool game that I know I won't be able to play right away. Similar thing for kickstarters: if it's awesome, it'll make it to retail.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Another great thing about Stuffed Fables if you're playing it with your kids is that each chapter has a "Talking Points" bit at the end, where it poses questions for the players to talk and think about. I nabbed this snapshot off the internet as an example:
    awgyyzinoczg.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Another great thing about Stuffed Fables if you're playing it with your kids is that each chapter has a "Talking Points" bit at the end, where it poses questions for the players to talk and think about. I nabbed this snapshot off the internet as an example:

You people stop this

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

That's just it, in AQ you aren't even "sent home to base" when you get killed, you can just appear near another one of your characters (though you spend a turn bringing the character back). And on your turn you can only move and attack with one character, so turns aren't very complicated. The PvP stuff is "lightly added in". You can attack each other, but there's really not a huge incentive to do so if you're not playing super aggressively (like with kids). There is a PvP quest in each campaign, but it's trivial to replace it with the "kill 3 monsters" quest instead, and it doesn't really change the game unless you're playing with adults.

My son and I barely attacked each other, though on one mission he initiated a tit-for-tat exchange that left us both cracking up (and keep in mind this is a highly peril-sensitive kid). It's actually a really low-stress way to introduce optional PvP elements. And then if you play with older kids you can play the PvP to it's fuller potential and have a lot of fun.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I didn't know anything about the Lord of the Rings LCG and I looked some stuff up

hey is Arkham Horror LCG just the LOTR game again but in a way where they can own it themselves? it kinda seems like it

6F32U1X.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    so I didn't know anything about the Lord of the Rings LCG and I looked some stuff up

hey is Arkham Horror LCG just the LOTR game again but in a way where they can own it themselves? it kinda seems like it

They're very similar but have some mechanical differences- LOTR doesn't have a map in the same way that Arkham does and handles enemies differently, and in LOTR your deck is associated with up to 3 characters instead of just one.

legit stunned to find that Food Chain Magnate was released in 2015

with those production values and that art I was thinking it was either an early internet sensation from the late 90s/early 2000s or a revived underground classic from the 70s

6F32U1X.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

I didn't really like LOTR when I played it ages ago and reaaaaally like Arkham for what it's worth. I think it might have been the scenario design in the core box.

edited April 2019
    Hey, speaking of Food Chain Magnate, went to a game night last night, and was excited to see a couple of people up for playing it. Oh, looks like 3 players, everybody's played it, awesome, maybe I'll be able to play "serious" and not just be in teaching mode. I like teaching it, but I was definitely ready to get serious.

I show up, and what actually occurs is a 5-player game, with a new player, and 2 who have played it only once. Hnnngggghghg. I deliberately warn the new guy that this game is rough on new players with that many players, he's cool with it. I slightly relax. But sure enough, he really struggles, never really understands the flow of the game, and in fact ends up leaving early. It becomes clear that I know the game better than anyone, so I'm back into teaching mode.

BUT, if you thought this was a horror story, you are sadly mistaken, because this is a Mid-Story Turnaround™ (don't sue me SU&SD). Yes, that guy had a hard time with the rules, but the other guys (and gal) were really cool about it, and in fact helped him make decisions, and didn't try to crush him. Everybody else had a fairly good grasp of the game, and had their strategy to pursue, so after the very early game I felt comfortable "just playing". When some strategies didn't work out, there was no complaining, but rather comments like, "Wow, I totally screwed myself!" I ended up winning by a huge margin, but as is typical in the game, it was all gathered in just the last couple rounds (I put down a surprise airplane campaign for soda that hit 7 houses), and everybody agreed it was a blast to watch it play out.

The game lasted about 4 hours, including some setup and rules explanation, didn't feel that long at all. The guy who left did so right in those last few rounds, so it didn't even affect the game that much. Afterwards, everybody kept talking about their strategies, and ideas to make them work better. Really one of the best game sessions I've had in recent memory. I know part of this is the group I played with, but FCM is awesome.

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2019
    Didn't tube play hellapagos on steam and shout "What now, Holkins?!" after Tycho tried to kill him and failed and died

I shot Jerry, and he was revealed to have an item that allowed him to absorb one bullet. Then:
    https://youtu.be/ib1kJkW2bQA?t=2688

Tube on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Didn't tube play hellapagos on steam and shout "What now, Holkins?!" after Tycho tried to kill him and failed and died

I shot Jerry, and he was revealed to have an item that allowed him to absorb one bullet. Then:
    https://youtu.be/ib1kJkW2bQA?t=2688

The glorious moment starts at 44:30.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    legit stunned to find that Food Chain Magnate was released in 2015

with those production values and that art I was thinking it was either an early internet sensation from the late 90s/early 2000s or a revived underground classic from the 70s

go look at Indonesia, a game you will be shocked to discover is an official release and not a playtest prototype

MNC Dover wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I shot Jerry, and he was revealed to have an item that allowed him to absorb one bullet.

The glorious moment starts at 44:30.

That all looks like a pretty good time.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hellapagos is real good . If you regularly have 5+ people I highly recommend it.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was a bit disappointed that Tube wasn't tube-shaped. Guess we can't all be perfect.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I was a bit disappointed that Tube wasn't tube-shaped. Guess we can't all be perfect.

I spent the first 30 minutes or so thinking that Tube was the guy with spiky hair and the Hawaiian shirt on, but I now think that was wrong

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Gloomhaven update: will be playing Gloomhaven tonight

reports to follow

Last minute advice welcome!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »

reports to follow

The rule most people get wrong: You pick one of the two cards to set your initiative, but when it comes to your turn that doesn't have to be the first card you use. You do the top of one card and the bottom of the other in any order.

Madpoet on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

reports to follow

The best defense is a good offense. They can't hurt you if they're dead.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, neat. Forgot this was coming.

uAbdML8.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

reports to follow

I think they’re officially nerfing Stamina potion, so you might want to use those rules? It’s really really powerful.

edited April 2019
    Fry wrote: »

I spent the first 30 minutes or so thinking that Tube was the guy with spiky hair and the Hawaiian shirt on, but I now think that was wrong

Yeah, Tube ended up being "the only guy without an accent".

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man I wish I had a group to play gloomhaven with.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Man I wish I had a group to play gloomhaven with.

Move to Oberlin, OH so both our dreams can come true.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      I had Amazon credit I didn't know about so I cracked and got Food Chain Magnate and just did the traditional "sort through all the stuff in the box and play a solo learning game"

man this game seems good, I didn't get too far down the tech tree and played without milestones so I've only seen a portion of what it has to offer but it seems extremely good

One thing I don't quite understand is the reporting structure, it says managers report to the CEO and you can't have it set up that managers report to lower employees

but it also says managers are the black cards and there are several cards that aren't black but still have "manager" in the name, so like can I have a location manager report to a management trainee/junior VP or is that not allowed

6F32U1X.png
    • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
      edited April 2019

reports to follow

First room is usually the nastiest, so don't feel bad about burning some Loss cards on the first round to give yourself some breathing room.

Have a plan when kicking down a door, generally it's a bad idea to do so at the end of a round since it gives all the mobs there still get to do their action even if their initiative has passed.

Don't just take big hits, you can lose a card from your hand (or two from the discard) to avoid it. HP should absorb a bunch of little hits.

Jump movement cards are really nice.

Bluecyan on
    • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      I had Amazon credit I didn't know about so I cracked and got Food Chain Magnate and just did the traditional "sort through all the stuff in the box and play a solo learning game"

man this game seems good, I didn't get too far down the tech tree and played without milestones so I've only seen a portion of what it has to offer but it seems extremely good

One thing I don't quite understand is the reporting structure, it says managers report to the CEO and you can't have it set up that managers report to lower employees

but it also says managers are the black cards and there are several cards that aren't black but still have "manager" in the name, so like can I have a location manager report to a management trainee/junior VP or is that not allowed

I think somewhere in your wording you got mixed up, but the idea is definitely that you as the CEO are the only person "manager" cards can report to. So yes, as you said, managers can't have other managers beneath them (barring some specific exception that may or may not exist - I don't presently remember).

I think somewhere in your wording you got mixed up, but the idea is definitely that you as the CEO are the only person "manager" cards can report to. So yes, as you said, managers can't have other managers beneath them (barring some specific exception that may or may not exist - I don't presently remember).

but does that mean just the kind of managers with black backgrounds on the cards that expand out the org chart or every card with "manager" in the title like the ones that let you build new restaurants

6F32U1X.png
    • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      edited April 2019
      For purposes of the corporate structure rule in FCM, only the black cards count as managers. (The rule makes this clear by saying, "The cards reporting to the CEO can be either staff or managers (black cards only). Each manager can have 2-10 people reporting to him.")

The rule is effectively the same as "a black card must report directly to the CEO", or else "the maximum corporate structure is three levels, with the CEO at the top level and any black cards in the second level". Naming non-black cards things like "pricing manager" or "brand manager" I can only imagine is an unfortunate translation mistake.

Edit: I glanced at the German rulebook, and surprisingly enough it has the exact same semantic confusion.

Hedgethorn on
      There's also one milestone in the game that feels like it could potentially be ruinous

It does not seem like it makes for good balance that the first person to get $100 now gets a permanent 50% income bonus, that seems like it would contribute to some real steamrolling

that almost seems like the one exception where the LAST person to get $100 gets that

6F32U1X.png
    • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      There's also one milestone in the game that feels like it could potentially be ruinous

It does not seem like it makes for good balance that the first person to get $100 now gets a permanent 50% income bonus, that seems like it would contribute to some real steamrolling

that almost seems like the one exception where the LAST person to get $100 gets that

Anyone can get that bonus the hard way, though, right?

sig.gif

They can, but it seems like too good of a bonus to hand it to the player who is already in the lead of the game and in a fashion that they're guaranteed to have it every turn for the rest of the game, where everyone else can GET that, but they have to use up a slot on their org chart to use it every time

6F32U1X.png
    • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

They can, but it seems like too good of a bonus to hand it to the player who is already in the lead of the game and in a fashion that they're guaranteed to have it every turn for the rest of the game, where everyone else can GET that, but they have to use up a slot on their org chart to use it every time

slow strategies seemed to make so much more money than fast ones when i played that it's definitely necessary and good and not close to overpowered

if you reversed it I kind of think any first turn besides recruiting girl would become a game loss

sig.gif