As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sorry for confusion.

My high school has switched to block scheduling for senior year, so only 4-5 subjects a semester, but each class period was 90 minutes instead of the usual 45. So three missed days was considered equal to six days normal.

In other news, I kinda legit love Super Wings. And Ellie had taken to building planes with her daddy and pretending that they are Jett and Jerome.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh, right. What Ceres said makes more sense now. Still, I should visit my neighbor's sukkah, they're always very friendly during the season and it'll be the perfect time of autumn this year right when the trees should be bright colors.

Hahahahahah, yeah, not as many meals as possible all at once

Anyone doing that probably does have a whole lot of food though and is happy to share. There is a lot of some kind of food associated with pretty much everything.

One nice thing you can do if you have some neighbors you really like: on Rosh Hashanah bring them a really weird fruit to try. It's traditional to eat a fruit you've never tried before on that day.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    @Hardtarget
    My intent was not "don't be Jewish" as that would be unfathomably terrible to suggest. It was more around the reactions and reflexes people carry when they've lived through bad things for any extended period. I personally have a bunch of things I have to remember not to comment on in front of my kids so as not to instill certain biases.
    It's hard to remember you have them if you aren't consciously thinking of them, as again, they're reflex.
    Just quitting swearing was hard enough...

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You managed to quit swearing? That is a level of parenting I will probably never attain.

• MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    You managed to quit swearing? That is a level of parenting I will probably never attain.

Same

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Same

Yeah fuck that

I try and swear less around the kids but

Oh, right. What Ceres said makes more sense now. Still, I should visit my neighbor's sukkah, they're always very friendly during the season and it'll be the perfect time of autumn this year right when the trees should be bright colors.

Hahahahahah, yeah, not as many meals as possible all at once

Anyone doing that probably does have a whole lot of food though and is happy to share. There is a lot of some kind of food associated with pretty much everything.

One nice thing you can do if you have some neighbors you really like: on Rosh Hashanah bring them a really weird fruit to try. It's traditional to eat a fruit you've never tried before on that day.

I forgot to mention, it should be a whole fruit. So not mango slices, but a whole mango. That's the case for any fruit you gift.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We’ve explained to the kids that while we prefer they don’t swear, that’s because of how society views swear words, and we personally don’t mind swear words; what we mind is unkind/offensive language, like calling someone stupid (and obviously racist/sexist words).

Anya has a pretty good grasp on this; she doesn’t call us out for swearing, but she will remind us if we use an unkind word.

I mean, it's fucking hard but... Shit.

Yes, around the kids I've quit and drastically reduced elsewhere. It just didn't have value vs. alternatives. Plus your creativity goes way up.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Same

I swear like a sailor and my daughter ignores it. My wife swears one and my daughter repeats it for a month solid.
    I guess one advantage of not being the favorite parent.

steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My big worry has been if my kids learn swears and then tell their friends and then I become THAT parent who spread foul language to the whole first grade.

So I told my daughter, I don['t care that she learns them, just that she can't learn them from me.

Of course it also helps that my wife had me trained since we were married to stop swearing so much.

Now if I stub my toe I say, "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFrizzle frazzle!!!"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Can I share my favorite pork story? We have a large quantity of Somali (Muslim) friends thanks to my wife's old job teaching ESL. Some of her former students are now grown with kids and we have holidays or cook outs with them. One night we had a bonfire with Smores because none of us (them included) knew most marshmallows have ingredients they shouldn't have. We apologized profusely but they decided it wasn't enough to worry about.

A few days later we got a text where she was making her own Smores - I think this time with more appropriate marshmallows. But since she had no obvious way to toast the marshmallows she put them on a spoon and held a lighter under it. She even sent a picture of the cooking in progress, it was amazing.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Christ, only four sets of shifts left at work before he's due!

Built the cot bed last weekend but that won't be used for a while as we've got a crib too.

Gonna put together a chest of drawers this weekend and then get my dad over to set up a wardrobe.

Took lots of deliveries today of the final bits and bobs we needed. Just need to pick up a baby monitor.

Also need to install the car seat but after that pretty much everything is done!

Wife's colleague at work has just had a kid and their top tip is the make sure the nappy is fastened tightly as they've already had two occasions where poop has managed to explode from a loose nappy and reach the arm pits of their kid :?

SharpyVII on
    I’d be surprised if you don’t experience a blowout at some point!

It happened very rarely, but both my kids experienced the poop-up-to-their-armpits, as have nearly all my friends.

Just like most of us will have a poop-in-the-bath and a gross vomit story.

SharpyVII wrote: »

Wife's colleague at work has just had a kid and their top tip is the make sure the nappy is fastened tightly as they've already had two occasions where poop has managed to explode from a loose nappy and reach the arm pits of their kid :?

It takes an act of God or a crossroads deal to avoid a blowout like that. They are inevitable no matter how snug the diaper.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Luckily I never had one blow a whole in the bottom of the diaper, which I think I've heard of before, but can't quite believe. All of my relevant experiences were a huge backwash up the back.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Niko has only vomited (I’m not counting spit-up, which he did after every feed for 18 months of his life) three times in his life so far, but each time was a particularly gross and memorable experience

- Vomited all down the corner of his bed, soaking the wall and carpet and pretty much making his room stink until the carpet was replaced a month later.
    - Trashed a car seat. Had to throw the entire car seat out.
    - Vomited on me, the airplane seat and himself as we landed at Heathrow airport. Really nasty chunky stuff. Was an hour late meeting my mom (who was driving us) as that’s how long it took to change and rinse off our clothes in the bathroom.

Yup, I definitely had to trash car seats before due to massive diarrhea...

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Beano's poops have always been very firm but I still have one blowout experience.

The worst discovery was when I witnessed that girls can blow out up the front pretty easily as there's nothing blocking the way.
    We have thrown away more than a few onesies....

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The little one is sick today. A fever and lethargy. She's being really good-natured about it, and to be honest she's super super cute just being kind of out-of-it all day, but I still feel bad for her. And feel a little worse from how much I'm enjoying the snuggles while she's sick :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    My son always blew out the legs, my daughter up her back. All the way up her back. There were a few times I picked her up like WHY IS YOUR HAIR WET

That girl could poop

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Oliver was in his bed, for god knows how long, rolling around in his own pee because I hadn't fastened the diaper well enough and/or he was a super-peer. This happened on the first weekend my wife left me at home with him. Boy I felt bad, and then we started using diaper doublers.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Pro tip, onesie shoulders are designed like they are so that you can easily pull the onesie down (instead of over their heads) if there was a blowout.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The little one is sick today. A fever and lethargy. She's being really good-natured about it, and to be honest she's super super cute just being kind of out-of-it all day, but I still feel bad for her. And feel a little worse from how much I'm enjoying the snuggles while she's sick :P

Omg this. Sapling had Roseola a couple of months ago, and all she wanted to do was curl up on my lap and cuddle with me, and it was so nice (but I did feel bad).

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah I selfishly enjoyed the snuggs when bean was sick a few weeks ago. He's not a cuddler at all.

edited April 2019
    Sorry for confusion.

My high school has switched to block scheduling for senior year, so only 4-5 subjects a semester, but each class period was 90 minutes instead of the usual 45. So three missed days was considered equal to six days normal.

This still pisses me off. It's like the schools I've heard who give awards for perfect attendance. THIS IS HOW INFECTIOUS DISEASES SPREAD DUMBASSES!

Unless the student has missed so much school that it's affecting their grades, there should be no penalty for missed school.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

This didn't even occur to me!

Kinda regretting buying a fancy car seat now :P

There are a lot of nooks and crannies that even with a garden hose with a spray nozzle I wasn't able to totally clean out.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My son always blew out the legs, my daughter up her back. All the way up her back. There were a few times I picked her up like WHY IS YOUR HAIR WET

That girl could poop

Same exact thing here.

steam_sig.png
    Sorry for confusion.

This still pisses me off. It's like the schools I've heard who give awards for perfect attendance. THIS IS HOW INFECTIOUS DISEASES SPREAD DUMBASSES!

Unless the student has missed so much school that it's affecting their grades, there should be no penalty for missed school.
    Yeah, Anya’s school gives paper certificates to well-performing students (for things like ‘taking responsibility’, not grades) but super cool metal medals for 100% attendance.

And parents are called in for a review after 8 excused absences.

Anya’s already up to 10 absences for illness alone...

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Mostly the cover is removable and then you can get in there with a sponge and clean the crevices out. Read the instruction manual first though because a few ones I've seen say you're not supposed to hose them down. I think @Janson ran into this a while back?

I've cleaned puke out of a Britax / Romer Connecta car seat and a Cybex Sirona Platinum. So from the mid-range (~£100) to the high-end (~£400). The process on both was the same - remove cover, throw it in the wash, clean out nooks and crannies with some Persil and a cloth.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've never had to deal with vomit or shit in a car seat.

I'm aware that I'm overdue.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Janson wrote: »
    Sorry for confusion.

Yeah, Anya’s school gives paper certificates to well-performing students (for things like ‘taking responsibility’, not grades) but super cool metal medals for 100% attendance.

And parents are called in for a review after 8 excused absences.

Anya’s already up to 10 absences for illness alone...

We used to have a max of 20 per semester in highschool. Somehow I always ended up with 19.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

There's definitely a stage where they're out of diapers but unable/unwilling to say that they have to go to the bathroom in the car (especially on longer car trips)... And then you smell something.

Parent: "Did you poop?"

Kid: "Yeeees"

P: "How long ago??"

K: "A while ago"

P: "Why didn't you say you had to go??"

K: "I dunno!"

P: "Okay, next time we're in the car and you feel like you have to go, tell us okay? We'll pull over at a gas station or something"

K: "Uhhhh okay!*"

* They probably don't mean it the first 4-5 times

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Same. Mallory has only throw up twice: once while she was in her crib, laying down and once when she had a fever but it was bright purple and all over me an our white carpet

And Jack has only thrown up once, and it's only because he was also choking because he shoves so much food in his godamn mouth you do this every fucking time just take smaller bites kid godammit stop shoving all you can in your mouth and then laughing at me when I ask how much is in your mouth aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The thing with keeping a puked-or-crapped-on car seat cover is even if you do successfully 'clean' it, leaving the car parked on a hot day will summon the worst ghost you can imagine.

Yes, the act of hosing down my car seat voided the warranty and to be on the safe side I bought a new one.

And even after hosing it down and washing the cover... it stank for months afterwards. (We still have it. Need to get it taken away...)

El Skid wrote: »

There's definitely a stage where they're out of diapers but unable/unwilling to say that they have to go to the bathroom in the car (especially on longer car trips)... And then you smell something.

Parent: "Did you poop?"

Kid: "Yeeees"

P: "How long ago??"

K: "A while ago"

P: "Why didn't you say you had to go??"

K: "I dunno!"

P: "Okay, next time we're in the car and you feel like you have to go, tell us okay? We'll pull over at a gas station or something"

K: "Uhhhh okay!*"

* They probably don't mean it the first 4-5 times

Yeah once Damian was potty trained and we started going out, we put a plastic bag over the bottom of the car seat and then laid a towel over it. We were very grateful for it several times.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So.. peanut is sick.

Yesterday he woke up with a sore throat and a cough, but did that slow him down.

No, it did not.

Didnt stop him from being woken up during his naps because he had to throw up though.

Momma Bear is having a hard time with it because there is nothing she could do, and he didnt even have a fever.

This morning he woke up again around 5am and threw up ... but now he does have a mild fever.

Still not slowing him down though.

I told momma bear to record this for future Noah, when he tries to say he is too sick to got to school. (yes, i know not all sickness is universal - its a joke)

Anyway that is my current sick kid story and my current concerns and feeling of helplessness since they are both so far away.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

This discussion has been closed.