As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon World] Glamjin’s Tower of Glory

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The moment the genie is distracted, Bran quietly runs over to Gisard and scoops up his scaly friend with one shoulder.

Bran mouths quietly, "We need to move on our opportunity now. C'mon, up on your feet."

The rogue begins to half-carry the wizard across the chamber toward the device.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Walking up to it you both see the device has a panel of brass knobs and keys. Looking at it up close it almost seems like it’s an art instillation, copper pipes leading nowhere, huge ornamental bronze frogs and big marbles running along tracks in an endless loop. But above all that, a map zoomed so far out the city is a dot. Far as you can tell it’s just desert dunes until the edge.

The amulet burns hot and cold against your bloodied chest Gisard.

OOC:
    I didn’t state the damage dealt by Pomme. It was 10, the maximum they can do with the shotgun. It was a big blow to the genie, it’s just too prideful and poised to show it. However, it is not under half health yet.

For more info there’s spout lore and discern realities, but maybe you know what to do.

Endless_Serpents on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Gisard, standing with an arm from Bran (Gisard is very heavy! This is more difficult than you thought it would be!) takes the amulet off and puts it on the panel. "What? Hungry?"

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2019
    The amulet gives off a blood red glow.

“I - CAN - COPy this artefact’s knowledge of the region, ah, yes. This will take a minute.”

It’s speaking. That’s new. It has an accent you’ve heard once before. Not from the empire. Where have you heard it?

With the time you’ve got waiting on the amulet you see that Holly is alive, as far as she ever is, but her bones are jet black and shiny. That’s cool.

“Yes. I feel more like myself Gisard, I am constantly growing. Knowledge is power.”

A tremendous bang goes off inside the contraption, and the map above it goes dark.

The amulet emits a red hard-light version of the map.

“I am processing. Soon I will know where the exit lies!”

You throw it back on your neck Gisard. The contraption’s panel turns to rust, parts start to melt and bolts fly off. It will never work again.

Bran, the floor is giving way as it turns into sand, with Gisard on your shoulder, roll to defy danger to get away from the contraption!

Holly, you can make it out fine, getting yourself into the store room, or hang back and give an aid roll to Bran.

You’re either gonna need to rally everyone against the genie or run for it.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited April 2019
    Bran reflexively grabs Gisard, and turns to put himself between the exploding contraption and the wizard.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Defy Danger (CON) to Gut It Out

Defy Danger (CON) to Gut It Out:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=6, 1]

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    OOC: get down mr. president!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Not one to leave her comrades in the dirt, Holly pulls the two of them (now bundled together) away from danger.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Aid

HP: 7/16

Aid:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=6, 2]

Grog on
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jccTtwoxEEw&list=PL40452513EAEDC4C6&index=17

Sand pours down all around you!

Bran and Gisard are blasted into the air! They land in the doorway as the rest of the chamber sinks into quicksand!

Close to passing out, Gisard’s claws slip through the softening stone and Bran grabs his torn robes at the last second!

Holly slides back and takes Bran’s hand—but her arm pops off! Quickly grabbing her arm with her other hand, she is pulled forward by the weight! Just in time Pomme drops in, having been carried by an exhausted Fleur. Together they pull everyone back into the storeroom.

The huge shadow of the genie looms over you.

edited April 2019
    Then it doesn’t. You hear a whooshing sound.

“I have located our exit Gisard.”, says the amulet.

The genie looks like it’s struggling against G-force. It says, “Agugufphtgrrdurr!”, then it’s pulled sideways into a portal. You hear a distant splash, then a tiny pop as the portal closes shut.

The deceased guards fall through (up, down, left, right) portals too.

An injured mage and a zealously berserk priest jump down the stairs to the store room, but they never land. They’re gone.

All the people are going ‘home’, wherever their ancestors came from. The city is on fire, but there are no people left to win or lose the rebellion. They’re free, all of them, good and bad.

You all run for it, at times punching through sandy walls and falling through others until you make it out of the collapsing sand castle.

A violent night gives way to a peaceful morning. All the buildings are empty, and though fires rage, it begins to rain across the abandoned city.

A mile out the white knight marches towards you, and the bounty hunter holds above him on his jet pack. They’re looking for their party (Paolo and the kid).

The other parties got out, you’re pretty sure, but they’re not with you. They must be on the other side of the sand pile.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited April 2019
    Since there wasn't really time to grab it, I'm going to say Gisard's staff got left behind in the collapsing room and is now buried under the sand.

Also I completely forgot I had a healing potion. Oops.

Also Gisard's making a mental note of the name Kasaya'il for later contact spirits use. Gotta fill in that spirit rolodex.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    That’s very fair of you. Yes, the staff is lost.

So far you can contact:
    Countess Romay, a ghost and a bitch. She knows about court etiquette, necromancy and manipulating others.
    Kasaya’il, prideful genie. They know about old magic, ancient history and planar beings (angels, demons, gods etc.)
    You can also Ouija board it and just see who answers the call, for better or worse.

The amulet pulls horizontally from your neck Gisard, and the gem flickers red in front of your eyes.

It clears its throat, and now speaks in an accent unmistakably shared by the vampires you met, “I see it now. Potent fairy magic. Glamjin has crafted ‘soft places’ throughout this land. Soft places are rare, usually naturally occurring gates between points on a material plane. It is astounding he has standardised it in such a way.”

“By walking into a soft place at the correct angle we will be transported miles away, though we cannot return the same way. They are strictly not portals.”

“This desert has three soft places in quick succession. I can direct us to them and divine the correct entry points. Once we traverse these soft places we will arrive beyond an otherwise impenetrable wall. At the location is... a building, I believe, that have no point of reference to describe. That is our goal.”

Basically, you’ve got a day’s walk to the first soft place, after that you’ll be slipping through them in moments. You all need serious rest first, and uninterrupted sleep before you can take that on. You haven’t been to bed properly in over a day.

The amulet falls back and the glowing dims into nothing. It whispers, “Beware.”

Sir Krig, the vile white knight, walks passed you all as you recover. Van Lonestar, the cocky bounty hunter, lands at your feet Holly with two rayguns cocked. His jet pack kicks up dust and you cough, maybe out of habit, what with you know, the skeleton thing.

The knight rumbles, “Have you the map? I do not contemplate the fools I have been burdened with secured it in my absence.”

Holly, mere words won’t faze this guy, I’ll need a roll +Cha.
    On a 10+, choose 2.
    On a 7-9, choose 1.
    - Convince him you don’t have a copy of the map.
    - Convince him the parties should work together, for now.
    - Convince him the map is elsewhere. This will cause him to take Paolo, the kid and Lonestar with him.
    - Intimidate him about your own prowess. You carry +1 damage against him, perminately.
    - Embarrass him in front of Lonestar, shaking their alliance.

There’s no right or preferred choices here, the plot (such as it is!) rests on you.

edited April 2019
    "Well I contemplate a fool who didn't have the wherewithal to even be present when the map was secured. At no small cost I might add!" She waggles her dislodged arm at him, it's finger pointed scoldingly.

"My quarrel is with that accursed Fae, not any of you. I suppose I could let you me by squire if you've a need to cling to my coattails."

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Mere Words Won't Faze
    I pick:
    - Embarrass him in front of Lonestar, shaking their alliance.
    - Convince him the parties should work together, for now.

Mere Words Won't Faze:
    2d6+1 11 [2d6=6, 4]

Grog on
    edited April 2019
    The knight remains silent, hand on his sword.

Lonestar sniggers, “Ha! Got you there Krig! We was as late as a Gulgom frigate to a distress call.”

The knight seems to burn with a held rage, “Had they held to my plan...”

“We’d all’ve been late. Least they had a hand in it. Laserfire, look at this ghost town. That zalci looking fella must’ve beamed them all away, like he don’t need them now we don’t need to be here no more either. What a creepy set-up.”

Lonestar spins his rayguns back into their holsters and goes around the crumbling remnants to find Paolo and the kid.

Some time passes, and Lonestar returns with both parties.

The kid is in a larger, muscular form, breathing heavily and slowly through bestial nostrils. Paolo is sat side-saddle on their shoulder. Under each arm is a bundle of folk.

“Hey.”, hisses the lizardfolk gladiator as he flicks ash from his cigar, “You know any place with wine?”

If you guys want to go back to Ali’s you make it there without issue.

Endless_Serpents on
    "The guy that was fronting for us, Ali, he had a pretty well-stocked manor home," Bran says casually as he unbuttons the top of his teal suit.

"I'm pretty sure we didn't drink everything he had."

edited April 2019
    “I’m tiiiirrrred.”, whines the kid, who drops everyone while shrinking back to their usual little self.

Together you hobble your way through the empty streets.

Van Lonestar loots a fruit stand, takes a bunch of scimitars he doesn’t need, grabs a fancy cape off the ground and a purse.

Along the way you find saddle bags and other riding gear that more or less fits Hao-Gou.

It seems to take an age, sodden with the rain, exhausted, you arrive at Ali’s manor. There’s a arrow stuck in the front door, which is unlocked.

A plant pot looks to have been thrown across the main hall. Otherwise the whole place is fine.

The wine cellar is full, as is the pantry, the kitchen, a secret chocolate stash in what might have been a maid’s break room. More than enough for tonight.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited April 2019
    Level up!

Below are some alternatives to your regular move choices. You don’t have to take them this level, or ever, but they’re extra options for you.

Holly, you may select this move when you level up in place of an Arcane Duelist move.
    Funny Bones
    You can detach and reattach a limb, or your skull, and have it act independently of you. Detached parts don’t take damage, instead they go dormant until you reattach them. Additionally, you cannot be held captive by mundane shackles, ropes or prison bars.

Gisard, you may learn a spell from the amulet’s extensive tome rather than from the standard Wizard’s spell-list each time you level up.
    Cantrips
    Begone Cantrip
    You unleash a quick bolt of magic to defend yourself. The bolt is [forceful], but deals no damage. Choose a target; you can push them aside, knock something away, cause them to shield their face, or otherwise provide a momentary distraction.

Nuisances Cantrip / Ongoing
    You conjure three cackling imps, fairies or spirits which appear in the shape of your choosing. Though they are forbidden from causing you harm they are not completely under your control, and will make decisions on their own. While active one target in your presence takes the [occupied] tag—they’re busy fending them off. A nuisance that takes damage or leaves your presence is immediately dispelled. Otherwise the nuisances remain until you end the spell.

Comfort Cantrip
    You perform minor tricks of true magic. You can bring temporary items into existence to make your life more bearable on the road. You could create an umbrella in the rain, a quill to write with, or a stool to sit on, and so on. The items can be as plain or extravagant as you desire. The moment you stop the associated act, such as standing up from a stool, the item vanishes.

Level 1 Spells
    Magic Magnets Level 1 Evocation
    Ethereal prisms of glass-like pins lodge in foes hearts. You can target as many foes as you like. Spread 1d6 damage amongst them. Any target hit with this spell takes +1d4 damage from any further damaging spells.

Arcane Compass Level 1 Divination
    Name something you want. The GM will tell you which direction to head in, and what obstacle will block your way. At any time, ask: Is it near?

Trick Senses Level 1 Illusion Ongoing
    You can create a convincing illusion which may affect a single sense; either taste, touch, hearing or smell, but strictly not vision. Consider impersonation of a voice, or making something feel slimy.

Furtive Glance Level 1 Enchantment Ongoing
    The target you look into the eyes of while casting this spell forgets who you are and why you’re here, until they take damage or you end the spell. You can use this spell on people, beasts and monsters, though the latter two may still want to eat you all over again.

Popularity Level 1 Illusion Ongoing
    Touch a target: they stand out dramatically. They appear attractive, with expensive clothing or ornamentation, and have a glamourous air about them. The spell persists until the target attacks or you dismiss the effect. While the spell is ongoing you can’t cast a spell.

Levitating Blade Level 1 Summoning
    A fine shimmering sword rests above your shoulder, slowly turning. Choose a target, when you say so, now or later, it takes 1d6 messy damage.

Pact Circle Level 1 Ongoing
    Walk a wide circle as you cast this spell. While inside the circle no creature can harm the other, nor can they cast a spell. Any creature that deals damage to you from outside the circle takes your level in fire damage. The circle is then dispelled. While the spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Level 3 Spells
    Awaken Spell Level 3
    Choose a spell or magical effect in your presence: it goes rogue. It now has a life of its own and is permanent. The spell will do you one favour in gratitude, then act of its own free will in accordance with a base instinct derived from its spell type.

Clairvoyant Reflex Level 3 Divination
    You see imminent danger flash within your mind’s eye. You can allow one ally you can see to reroll a move for a better result. They keep the higher of the two rolls. If they roll higher on their second throw, you take +1 forward.

Ice Spikes Level 3 Evocation
    You evoke jagged impaling icicles that burst beneath your target and everyone nearby, inflicting 2d6 damage which ignores armor. The spikes persist for some time, acting as a minor obstacle.

Soul Rend Level 3 Ongoing
    You dispel a special ability of a creature you touch while casting this spell, and transfer it to yourself. You can’t choose which move or defining trait you remove. For the duration of this spell you are telepathically linked to the creature and can speak plainly to each other no matter the language or intelligence barrier between you.

Twin Level 3 Illusion
    You create an illusory copy of yourself, which can be given detailed instructions which it carries out to the letter. It’s good enough to fool all but your closest friends. It is corporeal enough to open doors and the like, but will pop if harmed, and dissipates after roughly one hour.

Bloodlust Level 3 Enchantment
    1d4 enemies you can see of the GM’s choice go berserk. The creatures attack whatever is nearest in a clumsy fury, forgoing any special skills they might possess. The spell ends when each one has taken damage.

Level 5 Spells
    Elemental Wall Level 5 Evocation Ongoing
    You conjure a wall of blistering flame, frigid ice, gusting wind or jagged rock between two solid points you can see. Creatures caught in the wall are thrown back either side. Moving through or over the wall is hazardous, and you are in an advantageous position to attack creatures making the attempt.
    The wall lasts until you dismiss it or you can no longer see it.

Contact Level 5 Divination
    You send a request to a creature you have met previously, live or dead. You see them as if they were sat across from you, and they the same. You open a two-way communication with that creature. They must be honest with you. Your communication can be cut off at any time by you or the creature you contacted.

Midnight Carriage Level 5 Enchantment
    You can enchant a set of ordinary objects to transform into a beautiful carriage drawn by mysterious mounts of your own design. The carriage has just enough room for the party (exactly right, no matter the number), with you taking the reins. The carriage is pulled at supernatural speeds and can pass over large canyon-sized gaps with ease. The carriage vanishes when you reach a chosen destination.

Level 7 Spells
    Mirror Walk Level 7 Enchantment
    You can enchant a mirror, turning it into a portal to to other mirrors you have left a mark on. If the mirror is shattered you cannot return from whence you came, and if the mark is removed from any mirror you’d like to connect to it is disabled.

Fate Stopper Level 7 Divination Ongoing
    Choose a creature you can see. They cannot die, save for by the means you escribe; which must be elaborate and difficult to pull off, but possible. While this spell is ongoing you cannot cast spells. Casting this spell draws the fury of Fate upon you.

Wizard Wrath Level 7 Evocation
    You fire a swarm of screaming, blazing skulls or a blinding array of meteors (describe it anew each time) at all you wish! Barring you, everyone present takes 2d8+1 area damage. All structures will be in ruins, toppling in moments—prepare to run!

Ebon Army Level 7 Summoning Ongoing
    A terrifying army clad in hatred march into this realm from beyond the material, to the sound of distant trumpets. Whenever you or an ally Hack and Slash, deal your maximum damage and hold 1 bloodlust. This spell persists until your immediate foes are slain. When the spell ends the army will take one life for each bloodlust held, regardless of your orders, then vanish.

The complexity of level 9 spells in the tome are beyond even a passing read for now. But perhaps that just intrigues you further...

Bran, you may select this move when you level up in place of a Thief move:
    Dark Gaze
    When you study an enemy bloodied by combat, if only for a moment, roll +WIS.
    On a 10+, ask 3.
    On a 7-9, ask 1.
    - How close are they to death?
    - How badly can they hurt me?
    - Are they the greatest threat?
    - How can I make them vulnerable to me?
    Take +1 forward when acting on the answers.

Pomme’s levelling is in reserve until Wassermelone has time to come back.

Hao-Gou’s divine status has risen! He is now a very good dog. His stats are now:
    Level 2 — Guardian Shishi
    3 Loyalty
    20 HP
    Load: 10
    Defensive
    When he is nearby, you can say Hao-Gou will defend you from harm when you Hack and Slash. He will take on the damage and/or consequences of your actions for you.

Mount
    At a slow pace with no danger about he can carry three people. To be an effective mount in combat he can only carry one.

Mighty
    You carry +2 damage forward when you ride him into battle.

Koma-inu Inhales
    By touching someone that has dropped to 0 HP, Hao-Gou grants them +1 to their Last Breath roll. If they fail their roll Hao-Gou can take their place, if they allow that.

Take your time thinking about your levelling up, but you can keep posting if you want to get info out of the others or chat amongst yourselves.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited April 2019
    [OOC: Are these moves available later? I think I want Cautious, but I also want Dark Gaze, so if I have to I'll take DG now.]

Sometime in the midst of their rest, Bran seeks out Paolo. "Hey, Sharp, how you holding up? Things got a bit hectic back there." The thief holds out a bottle of mid-shelf wine as a friendly offering.

Elsewhen, in another part of the manor, Bran stands in front of an open closet. He sizes up Ali's wardrobe, eyeing up some pieces of more common garb. Behind him on a chaise lounge, his old rogue's clothes and the teal suit are laid out next to each other. He takes a long look at the collection of garments, and pauses to consider his options.

Nips on
    "Hey kid, watch this!" Holly pops her skull off and juggles it with a bottle of wine.

OOC: I have to take Funny Bones. Gonna take +1 cha to get me up to a +2 mod, given how much blathering she does.

edited April 2019
    [OOC: Oh, are we getting a stat bump as well? I remember we got one at 2nd level, but I couldn't remember if that was a one-off thing or in the rules, and I've spent the last hour trying to find anything in the rulebook to guide me on that.

Edit: Gah, of course, I find it five minutes later. In the move called Level Up *facepalm*.

Edit 2: Double gah. Now I've got analysis paralysis over what to bump. *double facepalm*]

Nips on
    edited April 2019
    Bran

The half-orc pours a glass and takes a swig. “Hm. Good year. Keep a secret? I’m an actor. I’m lucky I was working for a crazy director that gave me a real revolver. Said it’d get me into character if I fired off a few bullets out back. I fell down a sinkhole. The damn movie was set around a mine, see?”

He sighs and looks around for inspiration, “Guess I was in character back there, just trying to act right. I’m in over my head here. I’ve just got to get that kid home, you know?”

He pours you one too.

“I’ve not been the best man I could be. Anyway...”

You make small-talk, probing for anything useful, but Paolo doesn’t know much significant. You do your best not to reveal anything useful in return.

Ali’s clothing is at the minimum stylish and often flamboyant. Not exactly thief material. However, there is an outfit that unbeknownst to you was his father’s. It’s a bit like this, though you can leave off parts (such as the turban) you don’t need. Seems his father was more of an outdoorsman.
    dy33u5kqtwqa.jpeg

Treat it as leather armour. +1 armour, 0 weight.

Holly

“That’s GROSS! I love it!”, the kid declares, “You can call me Superella, and I’m the Queen of the Shooting Stars!”

Those are both lies, but the kid seems like a real sweetheart.

She claps when you’re done, and you reckon you’ve got a friend for life.

It isn’t long until she introduces herself as ‘Mishmash, the Mutant Menace’ to someone else.

OOC: These moves are available later. Every time you level up they are an option. Feel free to take Cautious.

Endless_Serpents on
    OOC: If you’re not sure what to bump why not let Geth decide? Number the stats and roll for it.

[OOC: Shiiii-ite, Endless! That is some hotness right there! I can't not have Bran wear that, turban and all! Plus, this place has rubbed off on him. The slightly exotic style (to him) appeals to him, having come from a much more baroque (e.g. boring-ly dressed) civilization. He'll remove some of the more dangly bits or things that might make noise, but otherwise wears the new outfit wholesale. He'll also pack his old thief's garb and the teal suit into his pack...can't hurt to have the right clothes for the right occasion.

Bran will get +1 Charisma, bringing him to 9 (and out of the -1 penalty). Following the fiction, I think all the fraternizing and bullshitting has shown him he's maybe not as bad at being a face as he thought. He's still not going to jump at the opportunity to be the front man (sneaky thief habits die hard), but at least he's a little more comfortable being the center of attention. He's also going to become more Cautious, because...fucking hell, he got duped good by that mage, and he's not going to let that happen again (and yes, I know this makes little sense mechanically, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

Lastly: Charge that phone, yo!]

OOC: Really good fiction based choices there. Also I only charge my phone at 1%, I live on the edge.

edited April 2019
    Gisard's going to take the Enchanter advanced move and increase his int score by 1, taking it up to 17. For spells, well I was going to add good old Fireball to the spellbook but now you've thrown a bunch of other options on my plate. Hmm. Gisard was deeply moved by the bag of dragon blood exploding, so still gonna add Fireball at this point.

If we're resting in Ali's house, Gisard's going to patch himself up with the other use of the poultices he's got on him for +5 HP, grab food and rest for +9 HP, prepare spells, and take a critical Enchanter's look at all of the party's magical items, starting with Bran's dumb shit he traded his blood for: the nameless deck of cards, the barbed ring, and the tricksy rope. If I understand the move correctly, Enchanter doesn't tell me what the item is in detail like an identify spell or something, but it does tell me what the item does mechanically? I want to know particularly if any of them do anything different or in addition to what Bran was told they do. I also want to examine the masks and the wand of ice, which I doubt I'll discover anything new about. I don't think Holly or Pomme have gotten anything magical that I'd need to look at, have they?

Also Gisard's bond with Bran has changed from "not sure if trust" to "hopelessly out of his depth with magic." He thinks Bran is trustworthy now, but also kind of a rube who needs to be magically chaperoned.

And then there's the amulet. I doubt I'll be able to glean anything useful from just examining it with Enchanter that I hadn't already figured out, but it's worth a shot. Gisard's current amulet suspicions:
    -Gisard should be careful how much he allows it to eat, lest it no longer need his permission. He is reminded of a classic play back on his world titled "Little Shop of Horrors."
    -Now that it's talking like those vampires, there's a clear connection to the vampire lord previous owner whom Glamjin vanquished. Maybe the vampire got his mind eaten into his magic amulet when he was offed? Maybe it's just using a voice it's familiar with the sound of. Who can say.
    -It's definitely not important.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2019
    Enchanter
    When you have time and safety with a magic item you may ask the GM what it does, the GM will answer you truthfully.

I can be liberal with how much I tell you, but I’ll not steer you wrong. Lemme see now.

The Nameless Deck
    You can pull a card from it one at a time. Each card has a imp trapped in it that is released once pulled. Each one comes with an unique spell that can be beneficial, malevolent or simply strange. The demons strictly cannot harm Bran (and only Bran), but are otherwise demonic in behaviour. The imp returns to its card and is shuffled into the deck if it chooses to, or Bran catches it.

Mechanically Bran simply says he’s gonna do it and then rolls 1d20 (there’s only 20 cards in the deck). No matter what he tries he can never decide the card in advance.

Barbed Ring
    You’ll have to break this gently to him. The ring was simply a component of the telepathy spell the mage-spy had on him. No one sells a ring that can protect your mind from a fairy’s charm. That’s far too valuable.

It can be cut off with serious, delicate work, but he’ll always have a ring shaped scar on his finger. That may have to wait awhile as none of you have the skill to get it off cleanly.

Tricksy Rope
    Only with the death of its previous owner will a tricksy rope find a new master. It is now utterly loyal to Bran. It doesn’t have a real mind or morale compass, it’s closer to a magic app.

All Bran has to do is give it an order it can perform and it’ll do it to the best of its ability. It doesn’t protect itself from harm. It can hold the weight of a man, maybe a couple.

Faceless Mask
    All the masks are different but share something in common. They either don’t have a face or it’s very messed up, almost Cubist in design.

This is because fairies can’t perceive people without eyes. Oh, they might still know you’re around. They can still kill you. They can still cast a net of enchantments over an area. But you’re invisible to them.

It was an accident the mages ever realised this, and they hoped if Glamjin ever grew bored of them they’d at least stand a fighting chance, or else be able to flee into hiding out in the desert.

Other than that they’re just nifty looking masks.

Frost Wand
    Well worn and having seen regular use, this wand is as honed as a soldier’s sword.

There’s nothing more to it than what you already know. It can turn that Fireball spell you’re learning into a Blizzball easy as point and shoot.

Wands are fragile though so don’t expect it to last a lifetime.

The Dragon Amulet
    Or the amulet, for short. It can do a bucketload of stuff. Most prominently:
    - It’s got a veritable library of information.
    - Its a tome of spells that the vampire lord must have known.
    - It can consume knowledge, at the cost of destroying what it reads.
    - It is now a map of this miniature desert world (of finite use to you in the long run).
    - It can now talk, rather intelligently too.

It is obviously alive in a way that the tricksy rope isn't. It’s design is a touch beyond what the wizards of your world could make. It’s a bit of science, alchemy, arcane and occult magic. The vampire lord was a bright one.

Sometimes an obvious thing is an obvious thing, you think. It’s not like you’ve never heard of liches, come on, so it could well be the vampire lord. It sounds like something a vampire lord would do to avoid death. But then... maybe it isn’t. Or maybe winning, and thus getting out of this mess, is more important than worrying about unlikely allies.

I think that’s it, but ask Gisard for help if you want anything looked over.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited April 2019
    I'm gonna share my conclusions about the purpose of the masks with amulet, as it did seem rather keen on knowing that. Also with the other adventurers, because I hate Glamjin's stupid face.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    [OOC: Do you tell Bran how dumb he was, e.g. by telling him what his stuff does? Because if so insert this into the fiction sometime after:]

In a moment when no one is around, in a place that he knows he is absolutely alone, Bran lets loose a string of curses so profane it would melt the icy core of Hell itself.

edited April 2019
    Yeah Gisard's telling everyone what their magic shit does. So mostly just Bran.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    ooc: i think i picked up the broken masterwork rapier, Sweet Eleanor- would now be an opportunity to fix it up?

edited April 2019
    Gisard

“Exquisite! A fortuitous find Gisard. Yes... Now we have the beginnings of a stratagem. In theory Glamjin may not know of these masks, and further may not know we now possess them and the knowledge of their use. This the ideal scenario, of course, but optimism is perhaps key to our survival, as we are ever on the backfoot in terms of understanding our situation.”

You’ve hung the amulet from a prickly houseplant to put it at head height to face you. It swings around gently as it flicks red light across the fifth drawing room, the one with a dozen dust-covered guitar-looking instruments and a harp without strings. Ali’s mother space.

“My knowledge of the fair folk is extensive, yet it is the area with the most gaps, and the most unaccredited and contrary information. To have a concrete defence is our first step.”

“Now we must be on the look for a means to attack!”, it laughs a deep belly laugh, a sudden fire in its voice.

After that the amulet asks if you’d like to read up on anything, and checks if you’re well.

Also if anyone wants an instrument you can pretty much find what you want here, or a pseudo-Arabic variant, if you fancy going bard inexplicably.

Holly

A tiny frog warrior rides up on a beetle. Which might be the start of a joke on your world, but right now that’s happening. She stares you out. For a long time. She croaks in a deliberate manner. She steps off the beetle and walk towards you slowly. Her feet make a cute pap sound with each step, like wet flip-flops* at a pool.

“I am Tai-i Hiroki Kaeruken, Third Blade of the Ribbitto Dynasty. Your strange thin katana is in unacceptable condition. I have heard its soul. I must tend to it.”

She’s incredibly intense.

Hand over Sweet Eleanor to the frogfolk samurai?

*In England we call them flip-flops, but maybe some of you guys just call them beach sandals or something. You know what I mean.

Endless_Serpents on
    "It would be my pleasure, Tai-i Kaeruken." Holly presents the rapier with a solemn bow, recognising a fellow student of the blade.

edited April 2019
    Quick one for Gisard. Your robes were torn almost in half during the genie battle. You really can’t wear such tattered, bloodstained garb going forward. Please select new attire (this is just for your look).

6rumkc2a9fbd.jpeg
    High Society Dress
    You couldn’t care less about fashion, especially human fashion, but this one is ‘hip’ you bet. Must have been one of Ali’s mother’s dresses. 0 armour, 0 weight.

j8rab02694cq.jpeg
    Journeymaking Attire
    Simple, light, commonplace, but nevertheless well made from fine cloth. Servant or other working class clothing.
    0 armour, 0 weight.

uk047e4znm4h.jpeg
    The Ol’ Attention Grabber
    Bright, in a word, but it approaches respectable wizard wear (though a bit too vivid for your peers liking). Definitely Ali’s, one for parties.
    0 armour, 0 weight.

OOC: Looking back through the thread:

Sweet Eleanor. A masterwork rapier with a racy lass of the night painted on the pommel. Deals lasting harm to creatures of the heavens. Close, precise, holybane, 1 piercing, 1 weight.

Since you’re all resting here and have rations (don’t cross off your own), you can all heal some HP. It’s the Make Camp move.
    Make Camp

‘When you settle in to rest consume a ration. If you’re somewhere dangerous decide the watch order as well. When you wake from at least a few uninterrupted hours of sleep heal damage equal to half your max HP.’

Endless_Serpents on
    The samurai bows in return, then straps the blade to her mount. The stroll off to one of the spare kitchens. She’s turned it into a makeshift forge.

When you awaken from a snooze later on Sweet Eleanor is by your feet, fixed, tempered, honed, and every other conceivable adjective involving smithing. It’s good for stabbing once more.

There’s no payment required.

Were you to look you’ll find the samurai is the first among you ready to leave. They’re practicing a kata, a sort of interplay of sword strikes and dance, alone in the garden.

OOC: we also call those flip-flops in the US

BahamutZERO.gif
    The dress does catch Gisard's eye, but was clearly tailored to a human's frame and is much too small for him. His particular race of lizardfolk is very crocodilian, as seen in the illustration on the first page. And they're fairly large compared to humans, he's like 300 lbs. (the tail adds 50 lbs. by itself), he's not in amazing physical shape by lizardfolk standards but he's still pretty strong by human standards. Even in his normally slouched posture he stands over 6 feet tall, his eye level is probably a bit higher than Bran and Holly's unless they're supposed to extremely tall. His high strength and constitution scores are supposed to reflect that girthiness.

The looser-fitting journeymaking attire looks like a better bet. And Gisard does generally prefer more practical robes, as most of his post-doctorate career has been spent on the road doing thankless fieldwork for assholes.

He was also wearing some leather accoutrements, like a padded vest made of few layers of leather and cloth, with his robes before to provide some armor for the frequent hazards of magical archaeological digs. Was that armor sundered too badly to use or can it be salvaged and used with the new duds? It seems like the charkram tore a huge gash through the middle of it so maybe not?

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2019
    The leather armour is fine, let’s say you sowed it shut before you slept. Its roughed up is all. Your choice of attire just covers it and, you know, wizard gotta wear robes.

Gisard the White it is. A fine choice.

Ready to move on?

Endless_Serpents on
    :thumbsup:

yep.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Two outta three ain’t bad. Then it is time at last to!...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aquW87kzNfk&list=PLNV-79t6WE5wc9yaKn2XBl5YctVKmQSD-&index=9&t=0s

{~*Undertake a Perilous Journey*~}

When you travel through hostile territory, choose one member of the party to act as trailblazer, one to scout ahead, and one to be quartermaster.
    Each character with a job to do rolls +Wis. On a 10+:
    - The quartermaster reduces the number of rations required by one.
    - The trailblazer reduces the amount of time it takes to reach your destination (the GM will say by how much).
    - The scout will spot any trouble quick enough to let you get the drop on it.
    On a 7–9, each character performs their job as expected:
    - The normal number of rations are consumed.
    - The journey takes about as long as expected.
    - No one gets the drop on you but you don’t get the drop on them either.
    On a 6-:
    - You use up more rations than planned.
    - You get sidetracked, wasting time.
    - Trouble hits before you can react.

I generally don’t make recommendations, but I’d say the natural fit is Holly/quartermaster, Bran/scout, Gisard/trailblazer (via the amulet’s map).

The journey requires 4 rations!
    It will take one day!
    There are no known threats!
    It ends at the first soft place (the amulet will know when you’ve arrived).

The amulet details to Gisard the finer points of the journey ahead. It will take a little under a day across the vast dunes to the east to reach the first ‘soft place’—the one way openings that will allow you to cross a hundred miles in a blink.

Once you step beyond the next leg of the journey through the other soft places will take minutes at the most. Then you’ll finally arrive at an exit as the sun sets.

With all life having been returned to its plane of origin potentially there will be no hassle other than the baking heat. That said you’re not fool enough stop watching for whatever, for anything, as you go.

Feel free to use other characters in your description of taking on a job and travelling onwards, but I’ll describe the results of your rolls. If you roll 6- you haven’t messed up in this case, you’ll all have done the best anyone could do, that’s just life on the road baby!

58ctuj0fba23.jpeg

edited April 2019
    Holly steps into the role of Ration Queen, enlisting the Kid to carry most of it. Her own skeletal needs mean she can effectively 'recycle' some of what falls through her ribcage, but the Kid's appetite redresses the balance.

Geth, roll 2d6 for Quartermistress

Quartermistress:
    2d6 9 [2d6=3, 6]

Grog on