As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah, my i5 6600k is still just fine, and is far from the bottleneck on Apex with my 1080ti. Of course, I also have graphics cranked and I'm running 1440p.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    haha yeah, rule of thumb 7 years ago was OC your CPU as much as possible, since games at that time didn't take advantage of multi-threading, so the faster the better. Do games today take advantage of multiple cores?

"Yes"

(It's increasing but certainly not prevalent)

counterpoint - "no" except for a small few

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    if you're i5-6600 is having issues there is something else going on. hell, an i7-2600 can still basically play all games with no problems

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    haha yeah, rule of thumb 7 years ago was OC your CPU as much as possible, since games at that time didn't take advantage of multi-threading, so the faster the better. Do games today take advantage of multiple cores?

"Yes"

Clarifacation counterpoint. Most games for the last 5 years have been multi threaded to some degree. Still most games rely on the first thread to do most of the heavy lifting with subsequent threads relegated to relatively minor tasks.

That_Guy wrote: »

"Yes"

Clarifacation counterpoint. Most games for the last 5 years have been multi threaded to some degree. Still most games rely on the first thread to do most of the heavy lifting with subsequent threads relegated to relatively minor tasks.
    that's a really good clarification actually and more real and less snarky than mine lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    if you're i5-6600 is having issues there is something else going on. hell, an i7-2600 can still basically play all games with no problems

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Sure you can still play games, but you're going to be at a pretty reduced average framerate with even a semi-modern GFX.

Campy wrote: »

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Sure you can still play games, but you're going to be at a pretty reduced average framerate with even a semi-modern GFX.

man I don't know, Apex uses the dang steam engine, I'd be shocked if it's the CPU causing the problems there but who knows.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    This vid puts the hit at about 30 fps, but with a modern gpu you're still hitting 60fps everywhere:

https://youtu.be/EE0qGdXEhxY

Interesting. I went from a 2600k to a 8600(nonk) and noticed basically no improvement on anything at all. (maybe like 2fps) Now this was back when I had my GTX970 so I was probably never doing anything that would have been CPU throttled anyways since I'm gaming at 1080p. A year later I still don't think I would have replaced the 2600 if my mobo hadn't died.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I know they did 1080p so there wouldn't be a GPU bottleneck at all but I'd also love to see the same test at 1440p or 4k just for the hell of it.

What really interests me though is how the 2600k doesn't really get pinned to 100% at all. The FPS difference is just how much more efficient the architecture is on the newer processors.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    It's an interesting video. It may push me towards a complete rebuild when I go that route. Unfortunately there are 2 things that separate would probably not be enough to dis​suade me, but together are getting me to hold off.

1) The 2080TI is insanely expensive. This has been talked about ad nauseam, but the fact that prices are still double the launch price of the 1080ti, is crazy.

2) We should get the announcement of next gen consoles this year and probably released next year. Graphic's technology doesn't increase randomly or by large leaps anymore. Only when new consoles come out, which makes sense, as most AAA are multi-platform.

If the 2080ti was going to be able to do 4K gaming for the next 5 years, maybe I'd swing the price. Or if it was priced at $800 or so, but I knew that I might have to drop back from 4K in a couple years, that would be fine. I think for now, I'll hold off and see what this next generation of consoles brings. If the jump in quality isn't as much as we're used to, I may jump on a 2080TI as it's shelf life might be longer.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jesus, you guys. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Used 6-series k chips are out there and they have a lot of life left.

Well mine

Mine's got until Zen 2 launches.

Then it gets to live out its life in someone elses rig.

I made the mistake of going with the sensible option in 2016. This time it's probably gonna be a 16 core Ryzen 7.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    It's an interesting video. It may push me towards a complete rebuild when I go that route. Unfortunately there are 2 things that separate would probably not be enough to dis​suade me, but together are getting me to hold off.

1) The 2080TI is insanely expensive. This has been talked about ad nauseam, but the fact that prices are still double the launch price of the 1080ti, is crazy.

2) We should get the announcement of next gen consoles this year and probably released next year. Graphic's technology doesn't increase randomly or by large leaps anymore. Only when new consoles come out, which makes sense, as most AAA are multi-platform.

If the 2080ti was going to be able to do 4K gaming for the next 5 years, maybe I'd swing the price. Or if it was priced at $800 or so, but I knew that I might have to drop back from 4K in a couple years, that would be fine. I think for now, I'll hold off and see what this next generation of consoles brings. If the jump in quality isn't as much as we're used to, I may jump on a 2080TI as it's shelf life might be longer.

I rationalized my 2080 purchase by telling myself that my current computer is going to end up in my living room so I can play controller games there and eventually the 2080 will go with it. As I only have a 1080p TV it should last me a while, even with the new consoles on the horizon.

Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my 970 though, probably put it in the computer at my mom's house.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I'm going to try and stretch my 1080TI for as long as I can, especially since I got it for free as a gift. Given how well it's performing I pretty much shouldn't have to worry about upgrades if I'm mainly sticking to 1440p for the forseeable future? Not too keen on 4k gaming for now methinks.

emp123 wrote: »

I rationalized my 2080 purchase by telling myself that my current computer is going to end up in my living room so I can play controller games there and eventually the 2080 will go with it. As I only have a 1080p TV it should last me a while, even with the new consoles on the horizon.

Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my 970 though, probably put it in the computer at my mom's house.

haha that's what I used to do. I'm never very good at re-selling, don't want to bother with shipping and ebay or Craigslist and such. So I used to move my old cards to a machine in the living room or my roommates machine.

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Worth remembering that Jason Schreier says that the next console gen is significantly north of a Stadia blade in perf - my read is 10% to 25%, but there's a somewhat plausible spec that puts the PS5 somewhere at 40% more. This says two things, even with the more minimal read - the 2080ti may or may not meet it's match sooner then it should, and that the non-raytracing Navi is likely to be a significant threat minimum up to the 2070, given that it will be powered by a lite version thereof, and underclocked to save power. There is talk that Navi may have some interesting new features, as well as possibly having the Vega features fully working.

Waiting may be a good choice in that situation; even if you go team green, the prices may drop in the face of credible competition again. If what you have works, it may be wise to wait until the raytracing console revision launches, because the tech will be cheap and no longer first gen by then, and there will be credible options from all three players; it's what I'm doing.

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'd also say the type of game matters significantly.

Older CPUs will chug like shit on, say, a Total War game.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you all and your fancy i7s. until this year I was still on an i5 750.

camo_sig.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    So a friend of mine gifted me an old pc he had laying around. I haven't had a real computer or installed a video card since about the Voodoo 3 so I have a lot of questions.

The pc he gave me is a Predator AG3620-UR21P with the following specs:
    Model
    Brand
    Acer
    Series
    Predator
    Model
    AG3620-UR21P (DT.SJPAA.003)

Quick Info
    Type
    Student / Home Office
    Processor
    Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz
    Processor Main Features
    64 bit Quad-Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor
    8MB L3 Cache
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Storage
    2TB HDD + 128GB SSD
    Optical Drive
    16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
    Graphics
    NVIDIA Geforce GT 630 2GB
    Ethernet
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Power Supply
    500W
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Motherboard
    Chipset
    Intel B75

CPU
    CPU Type
    Intel Core i7
    CPU Speed
    3770 (3.40 GHz)
    L3 Cache Per CPU
    8 MB
    CPU Socket Type
    LGA 1155
    CPU Main Features
    64 bit Quad-Core Processor
    Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.9GHz

Graphics
    GPU/VGA Type
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB

Memory
    Memory Capacity
    16 GB DDR3
    Memory Spec
    4 GB x 4
    Memory Slot (Total)
    Memory Slot (Available)
    Maximum Memory Supported
    16 GB

Storage
    HDD
    2TB + 128GB
    HDD Interface
    SATA
    Storage Spec
    2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    128GB SSD Drive

Optical Drive
    Optical Drive Type
    DVD Super Multi
    Optical Drive Spec
    16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive

Write Max: 16X DVD+/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 8X DVD+/-R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 48X CD-R, 32X CD-RW

Read Max: 16X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-ROM

Display
    Screen Size
    No Screen

Communications
    LAN Speed
    10/100/1000Mbps
    WLAN
    802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN

Front Panel Ports
    Front USB
    2 x USB 2.0
    2 x USB 3.0
    Front Audio Ports

Back Panel Ports
    PS/2
    Video Ports
    1 DVI, 1 HDMI
    Rear USB
    4 x USB 2.0
    2 x USB 3.0
    RJ45
    1 port
    Rear Audio Ports
    3 ports

Expansion
    PCI Slots (Available/Total)
    (2/3) PCI-E x1
    (0/1) PCI-E x16

1) My first problem is that the wireless card's speed suuuuuucks. I don't know if it's because Windows 10 doesn't have good drivers for it, or if it's just old and I need a new card, or if it can be solved by just getting a better antenna.

2) What's the best way for me to monitor hardware temps?

3) and obviously - if you were to upgrade this thing, where would you start?

thanks!

Graphics card is really bad. That's upgrade numero uno.
    Maybe an Rx580 or something depending on your goals/budget.

You can get a cheap wifi card with AC support for like $30 so I'd chuck one of those in.

edit: Triple combo post! Knockout!

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow... would this get me in spitting distance of running modern games?

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I'd also say the type of game matters significantly.

Older CPUs will chug like shit on, say, a Total War game.

Boy you're telling me. I'm rocking a 2600k and a 980. In early game or in smaller battles I am getting around 45fps. Late game I'm getting 15 fps on the captain map and see dips into the single digits in big battles. I've tried fiddling with settings but nothing keeps my framerates up in late game. It manages to load up ALL of my cores too.

Cities Skylines is another that benefits from more cores. Once I get over 100k cims my framerates get lower and lower. The last city was at around 300k and I was hitting 15fps in most areas of my city.

That_Guy on
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm already eyeballing my brand new system and thinking of smashing it into a tiny case to make it a fancy DVR for my living room as soon as the new Ryzen chips hit shelves. I really wanted to wait for them, but 6 months on a dying machine was a non starter. On the plus side, building was so fun, and I get to do it twice more!

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Whenever i have the rebuild shakes, I like to look to the non-techie friends and family around me.

Oh it's your birthday and your computer is slow? Sure sure, here's some new RAM, let me install that for you. Oh see, much faster.

*junkie twitch*

Lorek on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    That's tricky for me, since my Dad is the same as me and keeps his PCs up to date. Plus my sister's family uses "tablets" and she doesn't think her daughter needs a PC.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    That's tricky for me, since my Dad is the same as me and keeps his PCs up to date. Plus my sister's family uses "tablets" and she doesn't think her daughter needs a PC.

What's a PC?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

What's a PC?

"Phablet Computer"

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm using my old i7-6700k to ladel guac into my mouth.

Termal paste tastes disgusting.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Welp, seeing drez's build experience was like an echo of what I experienced this weekend starting out my build.

So in the intervening years since my last build, it turns out the TUF line of Asus motherboards went from one of their higher end lines to their...entry level line? Like even below their Prime Line? I was hit with the brutal reality of adding M.2 SSD slots disable 3(!) out of the 6 available sata slots and the fact the board only has 6 back USB slots in total which makes it...not very good. Considering my mechanical keyboard takes 2, my mouse takes another, my UPS takes another etc etc. Really running into the upper limit of capacity rather quickly there. And it only has two Chassis Fan headers which isn't the most ideal either.

Of course I didn't have much chance to play around with that, as when opening the box it came in and removing the CPU socket guard, the pins were already bent...so...yeah...dud board....
    ...oh and Newegg doesn't allow for refunds...only replacements for motherboards....so that's a thing.

On top of that, I also didn't realize the different flavors that a "Full" tower can take these days. I had some discount code for an Phanteks case that I decide to splurge on one of their new "Primo" models because it had a green powdercoated interior that I really dig, and has plenty of space...only to realize this case has so much damn space I'm going to need to splurge for some PWM extension splitters in order to route the fan cables where I need them to be. Small potatoes I know, but that does hold up the build as I figure out where to route the wiring and whatnot. Also has really annoying brackets for attaching the intake fans, though I am appreciative of all the dust filters it does have. So yeah, was eager to get my build started this weekend only to trip and faceplant right at the beginning.

I'm going to sell the board once the RMA gets back and since I was eager to get the build going I ordered from amazon the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra since that has capacity for 3 M.2 SSDs and is a lot more feature rich than the TUF board. Pricier by about 80 bucks but I think I'll get more use out of it. Looks purty too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRZKSX4?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

*Wondering where my replacement motherboard is, was supposed to arrive yesterday*
    *Checks amazon for tracking information*
    2pq3bi532hzj.png

*This kills the cow*

Welp...so much for a leisurely weekend build and downloading of all of my windows updates and patches/games etc....

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That is the worst. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    "sold by: J-Electronics"

those sons of bitches

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    It's like...my case is sitting there like a surgery patient left on the operating table, cables and screws and panels left all higgly-piggly, boxes and parts half opened because I'm not sure if they'll work until i get everything hooked up and the computer just seems to look at me and say:

https://youtu.be/bgs9OhjAE2g

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Kinda feeling lately like my 2600x, 16gb 3200hz RAM, 1070ti, and 1440p/115hz monitor (a catleap! classic) are somewhat at odds with each other.

The 1070ti doesn't feel like it really has enough juice to crank high FPS high detail settings at 1440p, and the monitor is an oldie but goodie that nontheless doesn't have HDR or adaptive sync. I'd consider dropping back down to a 1080p monitor with some of those features, but I've grown used to the desktop real estate of a 1440p, especially when playing games like Path of Exile in windowed mode.

So I'm in this scenario where I wouldn't mind potentially upgrading my monitor (my old one should sell for a couple hundred on eBay, if search results for sold listings are to be emulated), but if I want to keep the 1440p then I probably want to upgrade my card too. Which is a little silly, because it's a 1070ti! And I just bought it six months ago.

I could step my main monitor down to a 1080p and run the catleap as a secondary, but that feels like the worst of both worlds.

What do?

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So my friend and I trucked down to Micro Center to build him a new computer. He's never built anything and I wanted to help his build. So we picked a few things on the fly, mostly because he saw a micro ITX case, said "that's a thing?" and I said "yuuuup."

So we went with the unlocked core i5, RTX 2080, blah blah blah. Get it home, we test it, get it to post and go back to putting it together aaaaand his graphics card doesn't fit. I mean technically there is room but not if we also want it to be installed, and even if we COULD do it there's no clearance for it to actually cool itself which is frustrating. Our fault for changing the plan to an ITX build on the fly.

So this is the build with the graphics card. Obviously we're going to have to replace it but with what? We've found it's really hard to get a width measurement on cards, everyone seems concerned with length or depth. I'm also thinking we should grab something with a blower style fan with limited room for a more traditional fan layout.

edited April 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    Kinda feeling lately like my 2600x, 16gb 3200hz RAM, 1070ti, and 1440p/115hz monitor (a catleap! classic) are somewhat at odds with each other.

The 1070ti doesn't feel like it really has enough juice to crank high FPS high detail settings at 1440p, and the monitor is an oldie but goodie that nontheless doesn't have HDR or adaptive sync. I'd consider dropping back down to a 1080p monitor with some of those features, but I've grown used to the desktop real estate of a 1440p, especially when playing games like Path of Exile in windowed mode.

So I'm in this scenario where I wouldn't mind potentially upgrading my monitor (my old one should sell for a couple hundred on eBay, if search results for sold listings are to be emulated), but if I want to keep the 1440p then I probably want to upgrade my card too. Which is a little silly, because it's a 1070ti! And I just bought it six months ago.

I could step my main monitor down to a 1080p and run the catleap as a secondary, but that feels like the worst of both worlds.

What do?

I've had better luck than I thought running 1080p on a 4K OLED TV. I thought I'd get some of the fuzzy-ness I used to get running a lower resolution on my older LCD's but so far so good. You could look at a 4K HDR model, then run games at 1080p.

Trajan45 on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So my friend and I trucked down to Micro Center to build him a new computer. He's never built anything and I wanted to help his build. So we picked a few things on the fly, mostly because he saw a micro ITX case, said "that's a thing?" and I said "yuuuup."

So we went with the unlocked core i5, RTX 2080, blah blah blah. Get it home, we test it, get it to post and go back to putting it together aaaaand his graphics card doesn't fit. I mean technically there is room but not if we also want it to be installed, and even if we COULD do it there's no clearance for it to actually cool itself which is frustrating. Our fault for changing the plan to an ITX build on the fly.

So this is the build with the graphics card. Obviously we're going to have to replace it but with what? We've found it's really hard to get a width measurement on cards, everyone seems concerned with length or depth. I'm also thinking we should grab something with a blower style fan with limited room for a more traditional fan layout.

So, first off I'm a bit confused because there appears to be builds with that card or similar that work in that case.

Secondly, I don't recall if there are any features to secure the vidcard in that case without some finagling, but you can get a PCIe riser/extender cable and mount the GPU vertical. It would let the fans breathe properly and still keep your small form factor. Just looking at pics, though, that doesn't seem to be a simple option with the H200. (https://store.cablemod.com/products/?filter_product-category=vertical-pci-e-brackets)

Is there any way to convince your friend to go with a H500 at least in the "short term"?

Mugsley on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Secondly, I don't recall if there are any features to secure the vidcard in that case without some finagling, but you can get a PCIe riser/extender cable and mount the GPU vertical. It would let the fans breathe properly and still keep your small form factor. Just looking at pics, though, that doesn't seem to be a simple option with the H200.

I thought I read somewhere that the vertical GPU mounts invariably resulted in worse thermal performance (presumably because they can't use the back vents to either exhaust air or pull in fresh air, and maybe messed with the case airflow?).

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That doesn't pass the smell test. The only thing I heard in that regard was that some people were mounting the cards too close to the clear side panel and so the fans couldn't breathe.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Secondly, I don't recall if there are any features to secure the vidcard in that case without some finagling, but you can get a PCIe riser/extender cable and mount the GPU vertical. It would let the fans breathe properly and still keep your small form factor. Just looking at pics, though, that doesn't seem to be a simple option with the H200.

I thought I read somewhere that the vertical GPU mounts invariably resulted in worse thermal performance (presumably because they can't use the back vents to either exhaust air or pull in fresh air, and maybe messed with the case airflow?).

They are often worse for cooling but it is generally minimal enough to not matter except in extreme OC scenarios. It also LOOKS way cooler sometimes which is work a few degrees here and there :)

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    That doesn't pass the smell test. The only thing I heard in that regard was that some people were mounting the cards too close to the clear side panel and so the fans couldn't breathe.

I can buy that.

They are often worse for cooling but it is generally minimal enough to not matter except in extreme OC scenarios. It also LOOKS way cooler sometimes which is work a few degrees here and there :)

Only if you are RGB-blinged out!

I can buy that.

Only if you are RGB-blinged out!

"If you aren't reaching Unicorns-Vomiting-Rainbows level of blingitude you aren't trying hard enough!!!!"

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    ChaosHat wrote: »

So, first off I'm a bit confused because there appears to be builds with that card or similar that work in that case.

Secondly, I don't recall if there are any features to secure the vidcard in that case without some finagling, but you can get a PCIe riser/extender cable and mount the GPU vertical. It would let the fans breathe properly and still keep your small form factor. Just looking at pics, though, that doesn't seem to be a simple option with the H200. (https://store.cablemod.com/products/?filter_product-category=vertical-pci-e-brackets)

Is there any way to convince your friend to go with a H500 at least in the "short term"?

I think the concept of unwiring everything and reinstalling it would probably turn him off a lot.

I too was confused since it didn't seem anyone else had a problem on PCPartPicker looking at completed builds.

You know is it possible the CPU cooler is too big? I didn't try to put it in myself, I let him do almost everything so he could learn. When I saw him try to put it in it looked like maybe like it couldn't align horizontally correctly, like it went off diagonally and that's the only reason I could think of him having to do that I just didn't connect it until now. I should have tried to put it in myself but I was like "you just push it in it's not hard."

We also had to remove the top case fan because of the cooler. I'm betting this is it. If so, does anything prevent us from rotating the heat sink 90 degrees and letting it blast out the top?

ChaosHat on
This discussion has been closed.