As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Primed my brother's poxbringer for him. The airbrush I normally used is basically busted, the plunger just stays down now. I checked the hose and where it connects but nothing seems off. I tried using the airbrush with a much smaller paint well but the paint came out way too thin. The prime isn't bad but I feel like I did badly.

The other issue is even without pulling back on the plunger the paint is coming out.

Not sure if it being white and the lighting is making it look off but the picture makes it look like I missed spots.

I think I'm gonna do another thin coat.
    q1dqsp5.jpg
    CdGabj9.jpg
    CWqyQhQ.jpg

The photo makes it look like you over sprayed and filled in details.

Yea, the airbrush I used with the smaller paint well sprayed paint when I'd push the plunger down instead of just air until I pulled back so it was kind of annoying. I think I just need a new set of airbrushes or maybe a new hose.

My brother started painting it and so far it is looking good.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited April 2019
    He finished all but the basing on the Poxbringer. It came out really well despite my shoddy priming.

Edit: The pictures looked way less grainy on imgur.

Edit2: Let my fingers out of the picture. Total focus should be on the model.

Edit3: I think my cell phones camera is just ass.
    Dzf5P9H.jpg
    Zsqsv0s.jpg
    hhWgpdk.jpg
    wtmYGnE.jpg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    A different, worse colour
    Your fingers are in focus rather than the mini.

For camera phone shots, I find the best thing to do is sit the miniature near the end of my desk, then I can use the edge of the desk as a brace to hold the camera still.

J on
    J wrote: »
    Your fingers are in focus rather than the mini.

For camera phone shots, I find the best thing to do is sit the miniature near the end of my desk, then I can use the edge of the desk as a brace to hold the camera still.

Oh, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure my finger print can be stolen with those pictures.

I will take some better pictures.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    As an alternative to the severely overpriced citadel sculpting tools, what does everyone use for applying basing material?

A toothpick? Popsicle sticks. Mostly I just use old brushes, though.

Full-sized clay sculpting tools tend to be too big for base work (depending on the size of the base), and those dental tools are more useful for greenstuff/putty sculpting than basing.

Extreaminatus on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    For photo taking, if you're not going full light booth (which small ones are actually pretty cheap!) a small tri-pod is super useful. It upped my miniature and food pictures greatly. They're pretty cheap too. The on I pictured is like $13.

zbbsn79lud9c.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The seams on the Balewind Vortex are pretty heinous. I ended up using plastic glue to melt all the visible edges and scrape away the excess.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Exhaustive detail to get a cool effect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rEWFTVYoLI

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    As an alternative to the severely overpriced citadel sculpting tools, what does everyone use for applying basing material?

Full-sized clay sculpting tools tend to be too big for base work (depending on the size of the base), and those dental tools are more useful for greenstuff/putty sculpting than basing.

I tried toothpicks and just couldn't get the right.... smear...

Little popsickle sticks might work though.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Exhaustive detail to get a cool effect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rEWFTVYoLI

That is really cool. I need a video like that but for frost weapons.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple

I tried toothpicks and just couldn't get the right.... smear...

Little popsickle sticks might work though.

Actually, I might be able to make a more helpful recommendation if I knew what kind of basing you were doing. What look are you shooting for? What materials are you using? Are you using any of the GW technical thingies for basing effects?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Almost finished with Moranion. Gonna take proper pics when I'm sure I'm done.
    58tej39ev0w2.jpg

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    Still slowly working my way through the Speedfreeks box.
    these are stupidly fun to paint.

isb4jwu9wvxr.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I’m back to painting again following a 2 month hiatus for my shoulder surgery, and I noticed my primed models have a lot of dust on them. I tried a quick rinse, but that didn’t work very well. Any suggestions?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    If they're just primed it's ok to wash them with dishsoap (possibly even with a toothbrush). If they're already glazed, you're fucked, as glazes are very delicate.
    I've been having lots of problems with dust, so I'm ordering some extra seals for my detolf. My suggestion is to never leave unsealed models out in the open.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    The GW manager who's been teaching me step-by-step doesn't seal his models because he doesn't like the slightly glossy coat that even a matte finish gives. He tells me that if the paint gets chipped he just repaints it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I felt something was missing with Moranion to distinguish him more from my elven union team.

Of course, he's a high elf from Caledor! So now he has 16 more jewels on him.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The GW manager who's been teaching me step-by-step doesn't seal his models because he doesn't like the slightly glossy coat that even a matte finish gives. He tells me that if the paint gets chipped he just repaints it.

You may tell him to try Schmincke soft-touch varnish for airbrush.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Testor's Dullcote is the best at not leaving a shine behind. IMO

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Testor's Dullcote is the best at not leaving a shine behind. IMO

I've been using Dullcote over Vallejo Gloss for a while now, and there's more than a few times that things have turned out a little plastic-y looking. It doesn't bother me, but it's weird.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Does it really matter what basing material is used when basing a model? I want to start basing my Space Wolves and I'm looking at this video with a great base but it says to use the GW texture paint agrellan earth but I only have armageddon dust on hand. I'm gonna be painting over the texture paint anyway so why does it matter?

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It doesn’t at all, the GW texture paints let you bang out a base quickly with a drybrush but you can always just paint over it.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Base red done for TKSons of the Crimson Sons variety. Now to not fuck up the red...

QZCL29x.jpg

mBzs4kW.jpg

Up2fH0k.jpg

Good luck. Looks awesome thus far. Also yay, tartaros pattern terminator armour!

Part of the base I'm working on has the rocky outcrop from the CSM terminator HQ kit. I want to paint it up like ice since I want to do a cracked ice base but I'm not really sure what colors to use. I was considering doing the same colors for the base but I'm not sure it would end up looking right.

Have any of you painted up a piece to look like ice and have any tips? Can't really find anything on youtube, I'm only finding videos for cracked ice bases.

There should be lots of painting tutorials fr crystals and such. Paint it like that but only use light blues and whites?

edited April 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    There should be lots of painting tutorials fr crystals and such. Paint it like that but only use light blues and whites?

Ah, I didn't think about crystals. I will look up some videos and see what I can find. Thank you

Edit: My first try at a ice crack base.

Not sure it is good though. Bunch of little cracks. Not sure if it will really fit a ice base. The plan is to paint the top white and then use either baharroth blue or ahriman blue with lahmian medium to kind of wash the base and get it into the cracks.

The middle is kind of sparse on cracks because I'm putting the rock base terrain thing from the CSM terminator HQ on that spot.

3folvtk.jpg?1

Edit: decided since it is a base and easy to replace of clean off I just went forward.

This is the base finished.
    pukJhqP.jpg

Once I paint the terrain on top I'm gluing it on like that.
    met6MYY.jpg

Stragint on

Finished the base. Feeling pretty good about the base.

u4nJ7JC.jpg
    2rgq0x2.jpg

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I'm trying to decide whether to base my Primaris the same as my oldMarines.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I went to a game store and bought a paintbrush called The Psycho. It was pretty small. Could be smaller.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Small update. Now with more gemstones and a caledorian rune on the shoulder.
    My phone is incapable of capturing the colour of his armour. There is a scaly green glaze over the turquoise, that just gets removed by the camera. He's actually a bit more greenish turquoise than blueish turquoise.
    kdn0ykyuhv8a.jpg
    z40l0kb1l7yn.jpg
    1liatr6h9ebw.jpg

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean, that's one of the most beautiful paint jobs I've ever seen, so it's probably for the best that the cold, unfeeling robot eye has removed some subtlety from it - I'm not sure I'd have been able to take it, otherwise.

I haven't painted my knight in a while and I've forgotten which gold I used on it. Not sure how to figure it out.

I need to either write down what I used for future stuff or just finish stuff in a good time frame.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Always have a notebook handy and always write shit down because no matter how obvious you think it is you will not remember what you did weeks from now.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Yeah, definitely keep a book handy. I'm not looking forward to when I use up the black base I made for my Dropfleet stuff. It was an eclectic mix of colours so fucking who knows whenever I have to deal with that again. :P

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Case in point: I painted plaguebearers 2 days ago and I've already forgotten what I used to highlight their swords. Was it white or pallid wych flesh? Who knows!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hi friends. I know i've not posted here in forever, I know. But I thought i'd share some work i've done lately.

This is about 1600 points of Kharadron Overlords - i'm still working on the Ironclad, and i'll be at 2,000 points fully painted. I guess I couldn't wait to share my work.

qoq977s6zpb8.jpg

b3l351oge3b3.jpg

e9gd1qvymkrc.jpg

p47s5h346izy.jpg

bynirmjk519x.jpg

lf9teia3ogca.jpg

7duvf3kb82pp.jpg

njdn15yli44c.jpg

yla8r1to6bny.jpg

3lwap0 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    I suddenly wish I was back in NoVa and playing Age of Sigmar...
    Stragint wrote: »
    I haven't painted my knight in a while and I've forgotten which gold I used on it. Not sure how to figure it out.

I need to either write down what I used for future stuff or just finish stuff in a good time frame.

I have a word doc file that dates back almost 20 years when I realized 'wait, how DID I paint these sisters the first time' and has a writeup of every model I've done since then. Useful when I get back to old projects. Or new ones that I forgot just how I did a color.

Luckily I figured out the gold but yea, I'm gonna start writing this down.

For the gloss on the knight and two warglaives, I was thinking of using gloss nuln oil. Does that usually look good on a dark metallic?

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    I started a Google spreadsheet, and use it on my phone when I'm painting. Helps having it right on hand, since I always have my phone on me anyway.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
This discussion has been closed.