As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    On a side note, get a 3 skull battle mission in Battletech, but best I can do with salvage is 2/10.

Drop in with my Orion (brawl), Quickdraw (brawl), Dragon (heavy scout), and Centurion (missile boat). End up against a Black Knight, Grasshopper, Hunchback, and...something else I can't remember, think it was a Wolverine.

Decker in his Dragon takes out the Grasshopper by decapitating it with his AC/10, then I work on mopping everything else up. Get to the salvage screen and there's all 3 pieces of the Grasshopper beckoning to me...but I can only guarantee 2 and unfortunately there's plenty of other salvage staring at me.

Yeah, I didn't get a full Grasshopper tonight. Sigh.

:bro:

Sometimes it be like that.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Speaking of King Crab builds, I spotted one in a recent Baradul vid (not one Baradul was running either) that I may have to steal: KGC-000B

Took it out to the testing grounds and it does some ugly pinpoint damage.

(note, this isn't the exact one from the video, I just mirrored the weapon layout and did what I could with the tonnage left over).

Think that is a similar build I used to run with 4UAC5s and 2 MPL or something like that. I think it had an XL back then too. Need to check it out and see about modifying it to be something like this now.

I think you can strip armor from the legs and get another ton of ammo in. In the testing grounds with only a few misses I ended up with something like 1.5 salvos left with everything dead.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Was the only match I got to run with a PA member WHO KNEW I WAS THERE!!! I ended up with I think 4 kills in that match. 2AC20s are so beautiful... Only did 500ish damage though. The best moment was killing a Hellbringer who dropped off to the ramps to the basement. Instead of running underneath he decided to see if he could run out and turn the corner to come back up. Shot him in the back and killed him instantly.

@Styrofoam Sammich ignored me in my last match on HPG because that is what he does. I rebuilt my 8SPL Phoenix Hawk with an LFE and got like 5 kills or something like that with 500+ damage. Kept on killing everything I saw. Corsair tried to face tank me and shut down, 8 SPL to the rear and he went up quick. Kodiak tried to run away, took out his ST (no kill). Stalker tried to face tank an Annihilator, I took off his left side and killed him. It was glorious and fun. I forgot how cool the Phoenix Hawks were.

I'm weird since I like Polar. But that's because I'm usually running a light. It is even more fun with the Stealth Pirate's Bane.

I wonder how many times I'm missed people in match

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    On a side note, get a 3 skull battle mission in Battletech, but best I can do with salvage is 2/10.

Drop in with my Orion (brawl), Quickdraw (brawl), Dragon (heavy scout), and Centurion (missile boat). End up against a Black Knight, Grasshopper, Hunchback, and...something else I can't remember, think it was a Wolverine.

Decker in his Dragon takes out the Grasshopper by decapitating it with his AC/10, then I work on mopping everything else up. Get to the salvage screen and there's all 3 pieces of the Grasshopper beckoning to me...but I can only guarantee 2 and unfortunately there's plenty of other salvage staring at me.

Yeah, I didn't get a full Grasshopper tonight. Sigh.

:bro:

Sometimes it be like that.

Yeah, those missed salvage rolls are frustrating. As satisfying as headshotting is, it does dilute the salvage pool, esp. a Grasshopper with all those MLs and heat sinks. Missions with a lot of vehicles do that too. Oh thank you SRM Carrier for dumping your ten SRM6 into the pool!

Only one more piece of Grasshopper to go!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Was the only match I got to run with a PA member WHO KNEW I WAS THERE!!! I ended up with I think 4 kills in that match. 2AC20s are so beautiful... Only did 500ish damage though. The best moment was killing a Hellbringer who dropped off to the ramps to the basement. Instead of running underneath he decided to see if he could run out and turn the corner to come back up. Shot him in the back and killed him instantly.

@Styrofoam Sammich ignored me in my last match on HPG because that is what he does. I rebuilt my 8SPL Phoenix Hawk with an LFE and got like 5 kills or something like that with 500+ damage. Kept on killing everything I saw. Corsair tried to face tank me and shut down, 8 SPL to the rear and he went up quick. Kodiak tried to run away, took out his ST (no kill). Stalker tried to face tank an Annihilator, I took off his left side and killed him. It was glorious and fun. I forgot how cool the Phoenix Hawks were.

I'm weird since I like Polar. But that's because I'm usually running a light. It is even more fun with the Stealth Pirate's Bane.

I wonder how many times I'm missed people in match

I’ve seen you in quite a few, usually on the other side

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Dropped into Polar Highlands incursion in my 2LBX20 & 4SPL Kodiac once. I convinced a Med with ECM to walk me to the enemy base. We chewed through half of it before the enemy team wiped out our team then came home and got us too.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, after matches of painful attempts at doing something good with my Hunchback 4SP, I decided, before I regulate it to nostalgia trophy, to try an 2xMRM20, 3xERmlas build...
    xbOqv9I.jpg

Why did noone tell me to do that first thing when I came back!? :P

steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wow, looks like your Assault Lance was the decoy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, looks like your Assault Lance was the decoy.

What are you talking about? The Incubus and Urbie were top of the chart. Wait...did you mean those weren't the assault mechs of the team?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Urbie is the Clans' Worst Nightmare.

Ok, so just Timber Wolves.

oosik_betsuni.png
    So, while no run has been quite as good as that first one, I'm definitely enjoying the new loadout of my 4SP. As long as I don't screw up and things don't immediately go to hell I'm usually getting 350+ damage win or lose, when before with the SRM build it was a good match if I broke 200.

Even got me to customize; now it's red with a big Smiley face on torso.

steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, while no run has been quite as good as that first one, I'm definitely enjoying the new loadout of my 4SP. As long as I don't screw up and things don't immediately go to hell I'm usually getting 350+ damage win or lose, when before with the SRM build it was a good match if I broke 200.

Even got me to customize; now it's red with a big Smiley face on torso its butt.

Need to fix that.

Your posts about the Hunchback made me think of playing MWO long ago. So I was digging through my old photos and found this one from the beta.
    Those stock mechs back then.MW4.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2019
    Really flew over the goal line for the last component I needed to finish the weekend's events:
    9qOoTdq.jpg

Favorite kill was the King Crab. Things were at a stalemate with fight going around the dish, another in the valley on the other side of the ramp up. Decided to be ballsy and went up the ramp, took a right, and dropped down behind the King Crab, who had already lost his rear armor to something. Never got the chance to turn around as first his right side and then his CT disintegrated to my RAC/5s. The Blood Asp who was nearby did get to turn, but not before I had their right side chewed up, and ended up exposing his back toward the 2 guys they were trading shots with moments ago and got cored by them. Feel safe to say the battle was won with that maneuver.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2019
    So I started out with a dreadful time on my PIR-1. More than a dozen losses in the hole according to my stats page.

Tonight, after another good run on it, I checked my stats page again...

I'm sitting at 30/30 wins/losses. I *think* I have it figured out. Too bad PIR-1 is no longer the best version in the meta :\

I guess there's still hope for my MCII and TBR

Nobody on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I really hope they add the ability to field more than four Mechs to Battletech in the next expansion.

Seriously I'm sitting there and get a Target Acquisition mission. I figured due to amount of salvage it was going to be rough, but I had my Atlas II, a couple of Highlanders and a Stalker.

Oh what's that, it's a timed objective? Oh, and what's that, twelve heavy Mechs, along with turrets and vehicles? OH, AND WHAT'S THAT, THEY DROP ASSAULTS IN MY REAR WHO CAN ACT IMMEDIATELY AS REINFORCEMENTS?

Also please more mechs and maybe some new pilot abilities.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    Alazull wrote: »
    I really hope they add the ability to field more than four Mechs to Battletech in the next expansion.

Seriously I'm sitting there and get a Target Acquisition mission. I figured due to amount of salvage it was going to be rough, but I had my Atlas II, a couple of Highlanders and a Stalker.

Oh what's that, it's a timed objective? Oh, and what's that, twelve heavy Mechs, along with turrets and vehicles? OH, AND WHAT'S THAT, THEY DROP ASSAULTS IN MY REAR WHO CAN ACT IMMEDIATELY AS REINFORCEMENTS?

More mechs, more mission variety, and better variation in the pilot abilities.

Like, it should not be automatic that every pilot gets Bulwark, period.

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »

More mechs, more mission variety, and better variation in the pilot abilities.

Like, it should not be automatic that every pilot gets Bulwark, period.

Honestly if I could go back I'd make it so that every single one of my pilots has Bulwark, Multi-shot and Coolant Vent. Except for a single Scout for Sensor Lock and Tactical Mastery.

Especially in Assaults Bulwark and Coolant Vent become so OP. Being to alpha strike with your Atlas for two consecutive rounds can really even the odds in otherwise bad encounters. Behemoth in her Atlas II actually cored out three enemy assaults, one of which she took out from full armor. Having an AC20+++ with an extra 20 damage certainly helps, but being able to wring every bit of damage out of it really helps.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    So I started out with a dreadful time on my PIR-1. More than a dozen losses in the hole according to my stats page.

Tonight, after another good run on it, I checked my stats page again...

I'm sitting at 30/30 wins/losses. I *think* I have it figured out. Too bad PIR-1 is no longer the best version in the meta :\

I guess there's still hope for my MCII and TBR

PIR-1 will always be my special go-to version. 12 MGs with 1HML always makes me smile. But of course we all know I'm crazy and love my lights... Only thing I can recommend is wait for the teams to get into brawl mode where they forget to watch out for the lights coring them out. Or chase down lights to wipe them out of existence. Their nerf on armor did make them easier to kill, but they still are an evil on the battlefield.

oosik_betsuni.png
    For me it was the realization that I don’t need to hang out with the team, circle around their back, kill any AFKs/DCs, drop arty and UAVs behind the enemy team as they are shifting from firing line into nascar, and kill any lagging assaults/missile boats

I remember those days. But back then I had to do it in my Pirate's Bane with the 2MGs and 4SL to fit more MG ammo in.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Oi! @Morkath!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    MWO question:

Marauder II comes out next week. I know there is a delay before you can buy them with C-Bills, but is there also a delay before you can buy individual mechs, rather than the whole bundle? And if so, how long is it usually?

Ahh...found the answer of when, exactly, you'll be able to buy the individual mechs with MC and Cbills:

Q: When will the Marauder II variants be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?
    MC Release Date: August 6th, 2019
    C-Bill Release Date: September 3rd, 2019

Thanks.

Pursuant to this, there is (or at least was, at one point) a rather annoying trend of PGI to gradually nerf 'mechs once they become available for C-Bills. It would not shock me to learn they deliberately shoot for newly released 'mechs to be a little bit over-powered (rather than underpowered), and then just wait until they're out for c-bills before bringing them down into line with the average.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    MWO question:

Marauder II comes out next week. I know there is a delay before you can buy them with C-Bills, but is there also a delay before you can buy individual mechs, rather than the whole bundle? And if so, how long is it usually?

Ahh...found the answer of when, exactly, you'll be able to buy the individual mechs with MC and Cbills:

Q: When will the Marauder II variants be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?
    MC Release Date: August 6th, 2019
    C-Bill Release Date: September 3rd, 2019

Thanks.

Pursuant to this, there is (or at least was, at one point) a rather annoying trend of PGI to gradually nerf 'mechs once they become available for C-Bills. It would not shock me to learn they deliberately shoot for newly released 'mechs to be a little bit over-powered (rather than underpowered), and then just wait until they're out for c-bills before bringing them down into line with the average.

Eh. For every mech that's OP at release, there's another that's utterly mediocre or terrible

sXXjb1B.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The Warhammer IIC for example came out...underperforming. It's been buffed slightly but it's still not the powerhouse that the WHM-IIC is on the tabletop.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    edited April 2019
    Burned through the story mission after Smithon (the one where you destroy the dropship. EDIT: Served Cold). Then started working on some of the harder missions. Thanks to some lucky rolls and headshots, Decker is now rolling in a Grasshopper (two PPCs and a few medium lasers) and has started working on his degree in headshots. Behemoth is now also in her own Orion (similar loadout, but it's a V instead of the K and it has less upgraded weaponry in it).

Still need to find a heavy mech for Glitch to transition into, haven't found anything yet that would easily replace the LRM Centurion she's rolling in now.

Current lance is Orion (brawl)/Orion (brawl)/Grasshopper (sniper)/Centurion (LRMs), and I still have my Dragon and a Jagermech now to fall back into in case something goes down.

Nobody on
    I'm a little bit ahead of you, but only a little bit. I've also been hitting the 4 and 5 skull missions pretty hard. :D I'm up to 1 Atlas (freshly head-shotted), the story Highlander-B, and two Highlander Cs (one of the latter almost freshly head-shotted, the other one kitted with an AC20 and 4x SRM6). Prior to that I'd been running with a Banshee (garbage mech in the baseline configuration, but the variants mod makes one that's actually decent) and a Battlemaster (pretty meh, but can pack decent armor).

The hardest thing is avoiding going back to my loadout from last game on my 90 and 100 ton assaults: namely, 2x AC20s, plus whatever else fits in the margins.

It's such an effective weapons fit with tactics 9. :(

It amuses me greatly that the MAD-4HP (the Marauder II with all the missile hard points) is getting rocket launcher quirks (heat gen and +2 HSL).

It amuses me greatly that the MAD-4HP (the Marauder II with all the missile hard points) is getting rocket launcher quirks (heat gen and +2 HSL).

Fits with the lore; The 4H it's based off of had something like 12 rocket launchers on it.

Plus, to be fair, any missile quirks- especially heat or HSL- would make it pretty ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    The Warhammer IIC for example came out...underperforming. It's been buffed slightly but it's still not the powerhouse that the WHM-IIC is on the tabletop.

Anyone remember the Vulcan? Or the Charger? I did wonder about the Warhammer IIC though when they revealed they were giving out a variant of it for free, for effectively zero effort on the player's part. Considering how skinflint they are with paint colors..that was surprising.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm up to 11K MC. I might actually buy a pink or purple. I'm tired of either "silly Hero" colors or "green." I want "silly hero" and "pink"

monkeykins on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Ah, the Charger.

The Assault with paper armour, 5xSL, and a 400 rated STD engine. All of 86kph.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Ah, the Charger.

Yeah that thing disappeared as soon as everyone did the event.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Kay wrote: »
    Ah, the Charger.

Yeah that thing disappeared as soon as everyone did the event.

Sounds like it is time to bring out a terrible build for mine then.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I actually kind of want to buy a Charger simply because the cockpit looks like the cab of a farm tractor. I've seen baradul pull off some ok builds with it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6djrcgoPy8

Dark_Side on
    I want a charger because it looks like the T-Series Tactical Droids from Star Wars.

https://www.starwars.com/databank/t-series-tactical-droid

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I'm up to 11K MC. I might actually buy a pink or purple. I'm tired of either "silly Hero" colors or "green." I want "silly hero" and "pink"

I wonder if the pcgamer code for the free pattern on atlas, catapult, hunchback, Jenner with the free red, white, black still works.

Also, there are a couple washed out cbill color you can buy

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    monkeykins wrote: »

I wonder if the pcgamer code for the free pattern on atlas, catapult, hunchback, Jenner with the free red, white, black still works.

Also, there are a couple washed out cbill color you can buy

The old codes don't work. Or at least they didn't work a year or so ago.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2019
    So hey, new map in MWO?

Hibernal Rift

https://youtu.be/NcmTX0yn1T8

Looks to be a heavily modified Canyon in winter. With a large open area as well.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'm legit surprised they're still making new maps, however slowly.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It has ramps and extra cover around the carousel, already better than Canyon (I hate Canyon).