As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Honestly, I have a note 9 and I really like the Andorid 9 update. Like, One UI is really good. I now put it a very close second to Pixel Launcher as a UI.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yeah I'd been planning to stay on the S8 for awhile because it still works well but I may need to do an emergency switcharoo here, this honestly feels like an OS you'd find on a tablet designed for babies and/or really, really old people.

If you don't like the new Samsung skin, you won't like Pixel Android either.

If you actually liked the super heavy old-school skins, LG is basically your only option now.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I suddenly feel mildly comforted by LG on Android 8.0 being relatively unterrible. Relatively. Certainly compared to the above.

Android 9.0 I can't say. I already know that 9.0 adds that obnoxious fucking search bar that you can't remove because we're Google and we know better than you go fuck yourself consumer, making a different launcher basically a requirement.

I use the Pixel launcher on my note 8 because I want that search bar. Makes it easy to create reminders and calendar entries.

I also really prefer the unified widget for the calendar and weather.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I suddenly feel mildly comforted by LG on Android 8.0 being relatively unterrible. Relatively. Certainly compared to the above.

Android 9.0 I can't say. I already know that 9.0 adds that obnoxious fucking search bar that you can't remove because we're Google and we know better than you go fuck yourself consumer, making a different launcher basically a requirement.

I use the Pixel launcher on my note 8 because I want that search bar. Makes it easy to create reminders and calendar entries.

I would be completely on board with the search bar if it wasn't a permanent feature. In other words, the way the search bar already was.

Samsung and LG, I know, let you remove the search bar in Android 8.0 normally. I don't think that's true for 9.0 because So-Sayeth-Google-From-The-Mountain. I know my mother's Nokia 6.1 runs Android One, which says "Fuck you," to that kind of flexibility. "If you didn't want a Google search bar taking up permanent real estate, why did you buy an Android phone?"

The particular irony is because my mother is the sort of person who couldn't even use the search bar if she wanted to. She'd insist on opening Chrome, and even then, she'd almost certainly do it on her PC. Her phone is exclusively for messaging apps (Facebook and Line), photographs, and actual phone calls. I doubt she'll ever search for something on her phone, because there's so little on it, and what there is comes as photos she took, not apps or searchable results.

At least Google isn't so evil as to remove the ability of other launchers to make it optional.

EDIT: And putting it at the bottom...is just kind of weird. Almost worse than if it were a permanent feature on the top of you screen.

Synthesis on

I would be completely on board with the search bar if it wasn't a permanent feature. In other words, the way the search bar already was.

Samsung and LG, I know, let you remove the search bar in Android 8.0 normally. I don't think that's true for 9.0 because So-Sayeth-Google-From-The-Mountain. I know my mother's Nokia 6.1 runs Android One, which says "Fuck you," to that kind of flexibility. "If you didn't want a Google search bar taking up permanent real estate, why did you buy an Android phone?"

The particular irony is because my mother is the sort of person who couldn't even use the search bar if she wanted to. She'd insist on opening Chrome, and even then, she'd almost certainly do it on her PC. Her phone is exclusively for messaging apps (Facebook and Line), photographs, and actual phone calls. I doubt she'll ever search for something on her phone, because there's so little on it, and what there is comes as photos she took, not apps or searchable results.

At least Google isn't so evil as to remove the ability of other launchers to make it optional.

EDIT: And putting it at the bottom...is just kind of weird. Almost worse than if it were a permanent feature on the top of you screen.

1) Samsung most definitely lets you remove the search bar in their Android 9 UI. I don't know about LG.

2) the search bar at the bottom looked weird at first, but in practice I found it to be super useful, because it's within reach of your fingers. UI elements at the top of these super tall phones are really hard for a lot of people to reach. Moving things you'll interact with to where your fingers can actually reach is actually good UX.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »

1) Samsung most definitely lets you remove the search bar in their Android 9 UI. I don't know about LG.

2) the search bar at the bottom looked weird at first, but in practice I found it to be super useful, because it's within reach of your fingers. UI elements at the top of these super tall phones are really hard for a lot of people to reach. Moving things you'll interact with to where your fingers can actually reach is actually good UX.

That's good to hear that it's still an option for Samsung.

And making it permanent, regardless of location, still sucks.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to say there's no new updates that I've seen.

The best choice for Android software usability remains OnePlus, with Pixel a close second.

Unless you want a headphone jack in which case is pretty much Samsung or bust.

LG is the bestest for headphone jacks. For now.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

It is also a really convenient button to activate the assistant if you don't want to have to talk to your phone.

Jazz wrote: »

The best choice for Android software usability remains OnePlus, with Pixel a close second.

Fair enough. I'm sticking with Samsung mostly because the headphone jack and camera. Having a kid makes me want to have the best camera I can get on hand at all times.

edited March 2019

Fair enough. I'm sticking with Samsung mostly because the headphone jack and camera. Having a kid makes me want to have the best camera I can get on hand at all times.
    Makes perfect sense :)

Samsung are probably ahead of LG on the camera front, although LG are still in the "very good" segment but they're not ahead of the whole field like they were in the G4 days. (Even now I'm amazed by how pictures from that phone turned out, and I loved that it had a natively 16:9 sensor.) And while my V30's camera is still very good, I won't claim it's a match for Google or the top-end Samsungs and Huaweis.

But what I'm referring to with the headphone jack is that they go one better than anyone and pair it with a hardware quad DAC, giving them the best audio quality you'll get from any phone. And even better than that if you have a set of fancy high-impedance cans. Seriously, I've seen comments from people with access to thousands of dollars worth of pro studio gear and they've said LG's sound quality was even better. (That referred to the V30 in particular, which I can confirm has absolutely fantastic audio from the jack.)

But still, Samsung still including a headphone jack is a statement in itself; in the Western market they're obviously still the big dog of Android phones and the arch-rivals of Apple, and while so many others are dropping the jack, I think it's great that Samsung still have it. Long may they do so. If they ever drop it that'll be a huge shift even considering what's happened so far with that feature.

Jazz on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I'm confused. You said yourself you can just use a different launcher. What's the issue?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yeah I'd been planning to stay on the S8 for awhile because it still works well but I may need to do an emergency switcharoo here, this honestly feels like an OS you'd find on a tablet designed for babies and/or really, really old people.

If you don't like the new Samsung skin, you won't like Pixel Android either.

If you actually liked the super heavy old-school skins, LG is basically your only option now.

RIP me. Thanks.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @3clipse have you tried a third party launcher like Nova, and a less-shitty icon pack?

Also for whatever it's worth, I'm enjoying the Pixel launcher, in part because the search bar gets shunted to the swipe-up menu/app swap and isn't an eyesore on the front page

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The OnePlus launcher doesn't have the search bar by default so it's definitely removable there too.

edited March 2019
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I'm confused. You said yourself you can just use a different launcher. What's the issue?

It sucks that they'd make it a permanently fixed feature out of such apparent fear that you'd remove it otherwise. That's the issue. It's possible to fix, and I never claimed otherwise, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Synthesis on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @3clipse have you tried a third party launcher like Nova, and a less-shitty icon pack?

Also for whatever it's worth, I'm enjoying the Pixel launcher, in part because the search bar gets shunted to the swipe-up menu/app swap and isn't an eyesore on the front page

I'm planning to experiment with that stuff this weekend, yeah.

It sucks that they'd make it a permanently fixed feature out of such apparent fear that you'd remove it otherwise. That's the issue. It's possible to fix, and I never claimed otherwise, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Ok I get that. Seemed a little odd to lambast their flexible philosophy when they still give you the option to use anything else.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I ran Lawnchair Launcher for a couple of years but recently switched over to the beta build of Nova Launcher because it allows you to make the Google Now page/screen in dark mode.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited March 2019

Ok I get that. Seemed a little odd to lambast their flexible philosophy when they still give you the option to use anything else.

If they didn't give you the option to change it, that would, quite frankly, a restricting and asshole move.

Discouraging you from changing it by requiring you use another launcher--a deliberate but not herculean effort--still sucks. If you like other aspects of the default launcher and don't want to change, but would like to remove the search bar, or even just relocate or resize it, too fucking bad. You don't have a choice anymore.

Complaining about Android: it's something that happens in this thread.

Synthesis on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate email client that has a widget that can display the contents of multiple accounts? Even after setting it to only check every 15 minutes, the default app on my note8 is still draining like 10% an hour, and draining hundreds of megs of data a day. With me only actually opening emails on it a couple times a day!

EDIT: the gmail app is a no-go since the widget only can monitor a single account, and does weird stuff with hiding emails with different tags, even if they're still unread

EDIT 2: also, a text app with a widget, since apparently pie killed that TOO

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate email client that has a widget that can display the contents of multiple accounts? Even after setting it to only check every 15 minutes, the default app on my note8 is still draining like 10% an hour, and draining hundreds of megs of data a day. With me only actually opening emails on it a couple times a day!

EDIT: the gmail app is a no-go since the widget only can monitor a single account, and does weird stuff with hiding emails with different tags, even if they're still unread

EDIT 2: also, a text app with a widget, since apparently pie killed that TOO

Have you tried the Outlook app? I just checked and the widget can show a combined Inbox

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    Edison Mail can notify for multiple accounts and I'm pretty sure it's push-only.

Texting: Textra or Pulse

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Android Messages is really nice, has a web client, and a widget. I switched to it from Textra and I'm not sure I'll go back.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Been doing some post launch software testing on the P30 pro.

I must say the camera on this was the potential to be a real game changer. The night mode and hybrid zoom are incredible additions that Im expecting all other manufacturers to follow suit.

emp123 wrote: »
    Android Messages is really nice, has a web client, and a widget. I switched to it from Textra and I'm not sure I'll go back.

I did too. I was die hard for Textra but Messages has really come a long way.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Is that the google one? I'm not seeing a widget after setting it up

steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Spoit wrote: »

Is that the google one? I'm not seeing a widget after setting it up

:/ apparently the Messages widget I have is for Samsung Messages, sorry about that

EDIT: You can respond to messages from the pull down menu though, not sure if every text app lets you do that and its probably no substitution for a widget

emp123 on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Android thread I come to bargain. Well, seek advice more like.

Long story short, I have a 16 GB Samsung Galaxy Halo. I like it, it's served me well, and it handles most programs just fine with only occasional slowdown. However, about two weeks ago it received a nasty fall to asphalt and now I am faced with the prospect of repair or upgrade.

I am not knowledgeable about phones at all beyond their features. My primary usage is to play mobile games, use Google maps, and stream some music. So I am looking at an affordable phone in the $300 range maximum that would constitute an upgrade to this device. Preferably Samsung but I'm open and so is my carrier because I have Cricket.

I've done some research of my own, but most of these lists assumes a deeper level of understanding for the phone's tech than i possess, so any suggestions that could point me in the general direction would be greatly appreciated.

In that price range I'd say either the Moto G7 or the Nokia 7.1. The Moto is a lot bigger which can be nice, the Nokia has a better camera. The Nokia also has NFC if you care about such things.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Looks like there will be a class action payout for the 6p bootloop / battery drain issue, up to $400 in cases of both issues. I'm sure it will take ages to pay out (then again that ps3 one eventually did...) but I can't say I'm upset, having struggled with my 6p on and off for the last year or so. Guess this is a pretty good reason to finally upgrade.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    My 5X hasn't bootlooped but part of me wants to keep it running in case it does and there's a class action for it

edited April 2019
    Silly question that my Google-fu is apparently too weak for. When you've shared something direct from Chrome, it leaves a shortcut icon next to Share... in the three-dot menu, as a quick way to use it again:

tbo2pnzfzzaa.jpg

Is there any way to remove that? Long pressing on it does nothing.

Jazz on
    Silly question that my Google-fu is apparently too weak for. When you've shared something direct from Chrome, it leaves a shortcut icon next to Share... in the three-dot menu, as a quick way to use it again:

tbo2pnzfzzaa.jpg

Hit share again and select print. Then back out. All it does is show the last type of sharing you did, but for whatever reason it doesn't show a printer icon.

tbo2pnzfzzaa.jpg

Hit share again and select print. Then back out. All it does is show the last type of sharing you did, but for whatever reason it doesn't show a printer icon.

Just the job, worked a treat. Thanks! :+1:

I'm still very interested in playing with the Fold, but not in owning one. Not until the third or fourth revision.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I don't know that I'd ever want one. I don't have anything against it, but I just don't want to fold my phone.

Honestly, I'm stoked for it. I really want to live in the world where I can have a phone and a small tablet on me at all times. I use a Note 9 right now because I want a bigger screen when I'm actively using it, but If I could have a device that's say a Nexus 7 size screen that I can fold in half to use as a phone when I'm moving around, that'd be the best.

But yes, the first couple generations of these will not be smart purchases. If I won the lottery today I'd be buying a Fold tomorrow. But otherwise, It's going to be a few years.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    In that price range I'd say either the Moto G7 or the Nokia 7.1. The Moto is a lot bigger which can be nice, the Nokia has a better camera. The Nokia also has NFC if you care about such things.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Moto G7, see if I can get some hands on testing with it

Madican on
    Looks like some of the review Folds are breaking. That's cool.

A couple are because of the weird polymer layer Samsung is obsessed with lately. It looks like a screen protector that is meant to be removed after shipping. I can confirm this issue because we've had two Q900 TVs destroyed recently because the film looks like it's supposed to be taken off so people took it off and now the panels are broken.

Come on Samsung...