As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet keeps randomly dropping?

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited April 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
Hasn't hit a crisis point yet, but I want to be aware incase things take a turn for the worse.

Had Xfinity Comcast do an install in my apartment, worked great for the past 7 months. Now over the past two days I've had near day long outages. Resetting the router gets me back on temporarily, and a chat with the tech lady trying to do some stuff through cmd and reset some IP stuff in there didn't seem to do much either (no nice lady, I'm very sure it's not my computer). It's a standard dual band wifi router. But I have no way of knowing how long it lasts. Weather has been a bit spotty in the Pacific NW, but there are no local outages.

In general, why does this stuff happen? I've always been curious. Is it the hardware? I haven't changed my browser or browsing habits lately.

manwiththemachinegun on

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Most Comcast modems can have their diagnostic page opened by going to 192.168.100.1 in your web browser. If you're able to bring that up poke around and see if you can bring up your upstream/downstream signals and SNRs. If so post them here.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Hmm, says the site can't be reached.

Yeah, connection stays on for about 10 minutes or so and then drops, and sometimes is able to reconnect.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    An obvious question, have you tried cabling up your PC to the router?

Karl on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I had this problem and fixed it by changing service providers.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Sounds like your router or modem is going belly up. I had a similar problem years ago with Time Warner.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Karl wrote: »

My PC is plugged directly into the dual router with the yellow cord, yes. It's still dropping as of this morning. I have the tech guy coming to look at it, but is this common with Comcast?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Karl wrote: »

My PC is plugged directly into the dual router with the yellow cord, yes. It's still dropping as of this morning. I have the tech guy coming to look at it, but is this common with Comcast?

It can happen. If it's the Comcast gateway it's probably an Arris XB3 and they're hot garbage. See if the tech can get you the Technicolor CGM4140COM instead, it's at least a bit more stable.

If you already have that, I mean make sure it's still tested, but you'll also want the tech to check the coax lines. There may be a break in the line somewhere or degraded. Could be weather outside wore the line down, or a mouse decided to chew your wire because fucking mice, who knows, but they'll have a signal tester to make sure a proper signal is coming in.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    If it is a router modem issue, is it also a comcast router/modem that you are renting for $10 a month instead of buying your own for a one time cost of $60ish?

Cause if it is you should stop renting the router/modem and buy your own

• Options
    Well, it was the router kicking the bucket. So I got a new one up and running for no charge. Still, first time I've had one just up and die on me like that.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Well, it was the router kicking the bucket. So I got a new one up and running for no charge. Still, first time I've had one just up and die on me like that.

When networking stuff dies it's random. Could have been a surge, a brown out, a random power cycle while it was doing an update, or any number of a thousand other things. And the behavior is also random. Could drop connections, not allow other devices to connect.. who knows. Glad they were about to hook you up though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.