As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Problem(atic)s Are Faves: access and representation in games

12345679»

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Personally, I hope From keeps doing what they do. And I hope the industry as a whole keeps moving towards allowing more and more people to experience their games. When I beat one of the bosses in Sekiro I was so into the fight I stood up and yelled at the boss, then had to put my controller down because my hands were shaking. By not allowing me to lower the difficulty I was forced to keep practicing until I was good enough to overcome the boss. It sucks that not everyone has the physical or mental ability to keep up with every game they want to experience. Maybe From can come up with a way to make that experience happen, but I don't know and I don't think they are obligated to try.

Also as an aside, From seems to be the main focus of this discussion but there are other games out there that are more difficult, especially if you care about seeing all the content. Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Nioh, and Helldivers are all games I played that are pretty damn hard. It would be awesome for more people to get the chance to play those games but as smaller developers they don't always have the time and money to do so.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    From already puts difficulty modes in their games. There are ways to make them harder if you really want to, not including self-imposed restrictions.

No one's under any obligation to do anything. It would just be cool if options were something that were there.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think it's funny people call Dark Souls and stuff "hard" games. Anyone remember Terror From the Deep? I don't think a single person has ever beat that game.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I think it's funny people call Dark Souls and stuff "hard" games. Anyone remember Terror From the Deep? I don't think a single person has ever beat that game.

This is reductive and unhelpful. LOL, hard game universally described as hard isn't ACTUALLY hard, this other random thing is actually MORE difficult. With the implied "get on my level" sometimes left unspoken.

• Options

This is reductive and unhelpful. LOL, hard game universally described as hard isn't ACTUALLY hard, this other random thing is actually MORE difficult. With the implied "get on my level" sometimes left unspoken.

Well, it's an extremely unfair kind of hard in that the game is basically all random chance situations and the math is heavily skewed toward the AI. There is no "get good" or anything in the game.

It's a turn-based game with a difficulty scale, though, so at least it's accessible.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If a game gets too hard, everybody loses interest in it until AGDQ

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

Well, it's an extremely unfair kind of hard in that the game is basically all random chance situations and the math is heavily skewed toward the AI. There is no "get good" or anything in the game.

It's a turn-based game with a difficulty scale, though, so at least it's accessible.

I don't mean Terror is not a difficult game. I mean saying "ACTUALLY, the game you all find so difficult isn't difficult at all!" is A) a lie and B) against the premise of having discussions in good faith.

• Options

I don't mean Terror is not a difficult game. I mean saying "ACTUALLY, the game you all find so difficult isn't difficult at all!" is A) a lie and B) against the premise of having discussions in good faith.

I just said I thought it was funny. There's a whole cavalcade of essentially generation 1 Nintendo and PC games that are incredibly ballbustingly hard. Nobody likes those games because they're either too hard, bad, or both. So we forgot about them. I'd argue Super Meat Boy is harder than Dark Souls. There are Super Mario World romhacks that are just as hard! That we put Dark Souls on a pedestal and use it as a barometer for how hard games are is...funny to me. I don't mean to lessen anyone's experiences with it or reduce its impact on them. I just think it's funny.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    you're lessening people's experiences

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Terror or Meat Boy being hard or even hardER doesn't make Dark Souls not hard. I played various NES games that were just poorly designed. That made them difficult, some too difficult for me to make any headway in them at all. Yet... Dark Souls is still hard.

There's no way to gauge "hardest overall" anyway. Is the hardest Mario Maker level harder than a Rock Band custom track designed to be nearly unplayable? Better question... why does it matter? How is that interesting?

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    @shoeboxjeddy

Why are you tryin' to start a fight?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    you're lessening people's experiences

I mean, yeah.
    Terry Cavanaugh came out and said he made Super Hexagon too easy.
    Does that matter when Super Hexagon is very difficult to begin with?

How much is difficulty tied to what the player thinks is hard and how much other people think is hard?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    There was an article on kotaku that interviewed him and he liked the attention.

I'm shocked

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.