As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I would love if Netflix Voltron got an SoC, I really love its look

And shit, I really want that Soul of Chogokin GX-87 Getter Emperor, and that's sold out everywhere too!

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Holy cow. Really? Man I didn't realize he was that desirable as well.

Edit: Looks like BBTS pre-order is live. https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/89814

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It looks like BBTS has a Q1 2019 pre-order up for the previously discontinued NECA ED-209 that was originally released in 2013. I don't know how they're getting more in(NECA still says it's discontinued) but if I can get one for half the price of ebay I'm totally onboard. ED-209 is pretty much the pop culture robot villain outside of Terminator.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/48015

91a61263-2cc0-4f5a-9237-7593b705b285.jpg

Donnicton on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So back in the early days of the Masterpiece Transformers line, the first official US release of Masterpiece Optimus Prime, for some reason, was a battle damage variant. And, of course, to satisfy US toy laws about stiff sticky-outy bits, the exhaust pipes on his arms were shortened.

I only just today realized that the two were interlinked. All the "battle damage" amounts to is some carbon scoring on the arms. The shortened exhaust pipes required by US law are thus explained, in-universe, as his arms being damaged.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Yeah I already figured they added the battle damage paint to help justify the short stacks.

Didn't work as it just makes him look worse.

Also now I have a fan lore that he was tortured like in the cigar cutting scene from Mission Impossible 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Jdy1LCqIw

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    There's going to be a live auction in Pennsylvania in three days for a gigantic collection of toys, models and posters from various sci-fi, western and horror properties. Online bidding is enabled, so if you have money to burn and poor impulse control, this is worth a look.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-catalog/Sci-Fi,-Horror,-Western-Action-Figures,-Models-and-More_J695NCTIF6/

There's over 700 lots of toys, resin models and posters from all kinds of properties to bid on in there.

From these assholes:

H4200-L164944325.jpg

to these assholes.

H4200-L164944645.jpg

How about some X-Mans?

H4200-L164955814.jpg

Out in space, all over the place, space is the place for Star Wars

H4200-L164943614.jpg

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I wanted those X-Men toys so bad when I was a kid. In particular I remember Nightcrawler with the bendy tail (he was already one of my favorites on account of looking cool), Sauron (on account of looking cool, and also having club-smashing action), and Iceman (whose gimmick, as far as I could tell, was that you could stand him up in this rectangular cavity inside his ice slide, fill the cavity with water, freeze it, and then you have an Iceman with a block of ice around his feet).

I also remember a Wolverine whose claws could be moved in and out of his arms, at the cost of giving up the elbow joint (the arms needed to have a long hollow space inside for the claws to slide into).

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Oh my God I had that Ice Man toy it was so freaking cool

It sparked my long standing love of translucent toys and consoles

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh my God I had that Ice Man toy it was so freaking cool
    :crackle:

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ice man huh?

QQDsChe.gif

EDIT: Got around to opening up Figma Aqua from Konosuba

Love it so much! Even though she's the worst goddess, it's fun seeing her suffer.

Couple quick pics, including one with the stand and one without to prove she can actually stand. It's a bit difficult while holding the staff though but that due to the pose and balance of weight.

She has a goofy normal smiling face and a smug face. Couldn't be bother swapping out to many accessories though for pics

Master of water and-OH SHIT MY ARM'S ON FIRE!

2tBiL5d.jpg

SdpG7y6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVMFzfpJL_4

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Wandered around the local mall today, gamestop had the neca freddy and jason figures from the nes video games. They play the in game music when you open the box. So much nostalgia. Picked up two 10in funko pops for future gifts for younger cousins. Toothless from how to train your dragon and Hedwig from harry potter. I think they'll be excited. =)

• DaveLaxrDaveLaxr Tampa, FloridaRegistered User new member
    Those are some great choices, especially the funko pops.

Saw this on the TFW forums. Might explain the TFSource stolen CCs. There is a link to an article back in November about Umbro Brazil having not one, but two attacks at once.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/a-new-rash-of-highly-covert-card-skimming-malware-infects-ecommerce-sites/

oosik_betsuni.png
    Treated myself for my birthday:
    k1aysfudv6yr.jpg

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Anyone here own any of the furai model kits? I what that Megatron but I looked at a video of the Optimus to see how much of a model kit it is and it may be too much of a model build for me to go for

Anyone here own any of the furai model kits? I what that Megatron but I looked at a video of the Optimus to see how much of a model kit it is and it may be too much of a model build for me to go for

I don't own one but that Megatron really is tempting.

So I managed to get the Black Series Battle Droid Figure from Hasbro Pulse at cost. I'm so glad I managed to snag one for less than BBTS and other sites are selling it at since it is really awesome. You can pose it in a ton of ways, it has the backpack and just antenna back pieces, and a blaster. The forearm rotates for some good poses along with the wrist has a bend in it to help it fold up. There is a bit of ab crunch with it as well. The paint on mine was really good as well as the stiffness of the toy. Took some photos to share as well.
    battledroid1.jpg
    battledroid2.jpg
    battledroid3.jpg
    battledroid4.jpg
    battledroid5.jpg
    battledroid6.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There are several WFC: Siege figures I kinda want, but then I look up at them up close and just feel meh about them. I've passed up on Shockwave several times because there's something about about how it looks that just doesn't feel right.

Nobody on
    Could it be all the "wrinkles" on him? Those plus the weird additional parts makes him not look right to me.

Although Soundwave doesn't look that bad to me. Could be I'm overlooking the wrinkles since I wanted a smaller Soundwave plus cassettes since I saw the 3rd party versions a while ago.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I have WFC Megatron and he's alright. I don't like how the his traditional animation chest is literally just hanging out on the bottom of the vehicle mode rather than more well intergrated, but he beats the pants off of my old Classics Megatron without dwarfing my classic Prime in height.

Have some micromasters and Soundwave coming.. at some point. Soundwave is back ordered so that shipment may be awhile.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Could it be all the "wrinkles" on him? Those plus the weird additional parts makes him not look right to me.

Although Soundwave doesn't look that bad to me. Could be I'm overlooking the wrinkles since I wanted a smaller Soundwave plus cassettes since I saw the 3rd party versions a while ago.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a combination of the shiny plastic with the attempts to make them look "worn" with the painted on scrapes and battle damage.

I'm trying to cut down on my spending and the reviews for WFC haven't impressive me enough to pick up the recently released ones.

So I'm just going to stick to just Jetfire and Omega Supreme.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Only WfC stuff I have so far is the weapons, micromasters, Chromia (because I had to have another female bot to go with the group) and Cog. I do have the tetra jets, Soundwave, Mirage and Jetfire on pre-order just because I'm missing them in my collection. I'm on the fence for Brunt since I don't mind not having him for my Trypticon and Springer. Waiting for Refractor to pop up since he's also a must have from this line and for Omega Supreme to drop in price before I debate on picking him up. I'm running out of room for my collection and already have two on the floor (Fort Max and Trypticon). Also waiting for Ratchet and will probably pick him up if he looks good (not sure after seeing Ironhide) and Barricade just because he looks neat. Oh and Bluestreak since I'm sure he'll be coming out since there was a leaked image of him.

Guess I want a lot from WfC now that I think about it. >_< No wonder my wife says I need more room or stop buying everything I want.

oosik_betsuni.png
    having seen a few wfc figures in person i didn't feel compelled to get them. i don't get the feeling i'm going to regret it long term

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm just grabbing all the micromasters and any deluxes or voyagers that I think fill in gaps in my collection. (So far it's just Megatron to replace my classics Megatron, and Soundwave so I can have a Soundwave that doesn't dwarf Megatron.)

I'll probably grab the two additional Female Autobots to complete the Elita-1 combiner, and that'll be it for me with Siege.

Were I a completionist, I'd definitely be bugging out about Jetfire and Omega Supreme, but I ain't got the room and I there's probably other stuff I should spend the money on.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'm getting almost all of the Siege line, I love these guys

If you don't mind the Cybertronian vehicle stylings, these feel to me to be the best versions of these characters outside of Masterpiece stuff

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Last month I picked up the Wei Jiang Megamaster (Oversized MP Megatron) and man, for under $100 it's the best transformer you can get. The transformation is nothing like MP-01 or MP-36 Megatrons. The back of the gun and hammer fold over where the hands are when you transform it, the stock parts fold into the cavity left by the thighs when you transform the legs. It's a genius piece of engineering, and I think better than the legs on either of the Masterpiece Megatrons. Height wise, he's as tall as MP-01.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up both WFC Shockwave (at Wal-Mart) and Ultra Magnus (at Amazon). I think the greebling/panel lines on Shockwave look good, and would panel line him except that black against the dark purple would just disappear. The transformation is fun, and the way the sides of the calves fold out and rotate to form the con tower on the battleship mode is great. Overall, I think he should have been around a $35-40 figure rather than $50. There's just no weight to him at all.

Ultra Magnus is an ok figure. I love how you have to line up the back to slide the front wheel section up or down depending on if you're making the cab-only or full armored version of him. But other than remembering how to collapse the panels on the truck, his transformation feels pretty simple and after parts forming pieces like the legs feel VERY hollow. Size wise he compares well to POTP Rodimus Unicronus, Nemesis Prime, and CW Powermaster Optimus Prime. Again, though, because there's so much hollowness to the figure, it feels very light compared to those just mentioned.

I also picked up MPP10 Commander (Oversized MP10 Optimus) for $65 on eBay. I own the real MP-10 so don't feel so bad picking up a KO version. It's also a really great figure. In scaling him up they fix a lot of the fiddlyness that I run into with my MP10, and everything snaps together really securely. Both the paint and plastic are very glossy, which really add to the appeal of the figure. In truck mode, he's a little bit bigger than MP01, in robot mode he's the same size.

Overall, I don't think MP10/MPP10 are better than MP01, just a bit different. A lot of the transformation is the same, with some modest improvements. Some of the areas look better like the front of the cab, but others like the arms don't look as good.

Paid for my order for MP Beast Wars Megatron and shipped it out with my figma Overwatch Reaper, figma Megumin and figma Saber of Red/Mordred.

This is going to be one hell of a haul when it arrives *knocks wood*

Despite shipping being more than I had expected, the total spend on these orders ended up about 26AUD cheaper than I expected due to Megatron being lighter than my estimates.

I hope the rest of my orders this year follow suit

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Saw a Nendroid DVA at best buy for 25 bucks so I picked it up. It's really cute but how can you keep her in anything but the selfie pose?

I also got my roommate the Good Smile Link Between Worlds figure. He collects Link figures and doesn't have this one yet.

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Seeing the Voltron on the previous page gives me flashbacks to the giant die-cast one I had as a kid. You had to buy each individual lion. That thing could kill a small child if it fell over. That and boglins. (which are one of the best toys ever.)

Sad days, the BBTS page for ED-209 has the re-release date pushed back to Q2 2019. Crime runs rampant on the mean streets of Detroit for a few more months.

Finally got around to doing this lil guy. This is my first gunpla where I used an Exacto Knife instead of my nail clippers (don't judge me) and tried my hand at using a Gundam Marker for the black details. I don't have the steadiest hand so it was a bit challenging but I like the final look. Even added some weathering to his shield and I like how it came out. I still haven't Unicorn Gundam to do which will probably take at least twice as long but at least some of the parts will be bigger and easier to work with.

I see a nub !

Fo real tho, nice. Is that a HG 1/144?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited April 2019
    Yup! And honestly the flash exposed a lot spots I should redo but in soft light it isn't as noticable. I may pop off his arms and legs and touch them up better. I only used one sticker, for the codpiece which doesn't look awful. And I only lost one piece this time!

(If you swipe right on the pic there's a few more)

Local H Jay on
    edited April 2019
    My haul from the past two weeks

EDIT: I think this might be the first time posting pics here with the new desk. Yay!

Everything except Azalea arrived at the post office the week prior. Took some photos last weekend but finished the rest this weekend. Also wanted to hold off transforming Megatron for reasons I'll get to later

Figma Megumin (Konosuba)

This is a pretty neat figure overall with standard articulation, bag, stand, shiny red eye glass add-on, eye patch add-on, and a variety of hands and faces I forgot to to take a photo of. The staff comes with a alternate clear purple orb and an alternate top that is used to attach the magic effect part.

That magic effect part is a huuuge bitch to remove. It's secured in place using a separate tiny disc with a peg. While trying to remove it the film surrounding the center hole got air bubbles and now stays within the bag.

I'm still really happy I got this as the character is awesome.

UxOuqdF.jpg
    tIyRrFA.jpg
    dRTAxG7.jpg
    nQe3HqO.jpg
    LOw95tr.jpg
    5u6P3A9.jpg

Figma Mordred (Fate/Apocrypha)

I was so hyped for this figure but it has some real annoyances.

You can swappable parts of the armor (small part of chest, part of back and a part of each shoulder armor). These the defautl parts are meant to represent parts of her Helmet which integrate into her armor like Iron Man or Isaac Clarke from Dead space. When she wears her helmet you're supposed to swap these out with smaller parts as she no longer has the helmet integrated in her armor.

What makes this annoying is the parts fall off very easily and I had to add acrylic gloss to help them stay in better . The default horn parts on her shoulder armor also impede her outward shoulder movement more than the actual shoulders do.

That said I still really like this figure due to the character and the appearance.

Like Megumin she has alternated hands, faces, bag, and stand. She also comes with a separate powered up sword and neck...thing that goes around her neck while wearing the helmet.

I really hope good smile company releases her casual outfit (to to be confused with her horrible unarmored outfit)

kfD7LFX.jpg
    y8u61JW.jpg
    nMySiwx.jpg
    BjWUlJp.jpg
    wVnaK4E.jpg
    8jskFOS.jpg
    PW0Rbrv.jpg
    mn5uh6L.jpg
    pXI4l0c.jpg
    WioVuwk.jpg

Figma Reaper (Overwatch)

I bought this figure because I liked playing the character in Overwatch and the effect parts looked neat.

This figure sucks

The hip articulation is severely limited due to no clearance. Had it been given drop down hips that might have helped but since he doesn't he can only move his legs as part out of the photos shows. Also the hood is static, meaning if you turn his head to the side he won't be seeing much. a couple alternate hoods would have helped.

Actually he has every little accessories. Stand, thin plastic teleport image, fewer hands than most figmas and no alternate head or faces. The effects and guns look alright, but nothing amazing.

I think I'm just mostly salty over the legs, but it may also be that I don't have much of an attachment to Reaper. Hell I haven't played Overwatch in ages. Hope V.A, Pharah and Mercy leave a better impression.

qXm2crW.jpg

Masterpiece Beast Wars Megatron (Beast Wars, duh)

So the reason I held off taking pics of this guy last weekend was because of few reasons:

A) I ran out of sunlight coming into the room. Due to the outdoor blind and location of the window, I can only get a few hours in the afternoons with good sunlight. And since I get home from work in the evenings I couldn't take photos with better light.

I do have a desk lamp in the room, but it's a bit yellow and doesn't provide the amount of light I'd prefer for pics. I could buy another lamp just for photos, but it's an added cost and I'm too lazy to buy one.

B) I really liked looking at him in T-Rex mode and didn't want to transform him until I had taken pics first.

C) There are some concerning marks on crotch plastic.

This one seems pretty widespread. Some people are saying its just marbling. Some says its cracks. Some have had the plastic break.

My copy has these lines from the end to hip joint area. This was a very expensive figure and I do not want to break it. I'm hoping a good third party will produce a high quality replacement crotch that is both super durable and looks the matches the metallic paint/plastic of the real one. Until so I'm going to avoid using hip joins as much as possible

Which is a shame because the rest of the figure is superb!

Amazing paint, faces potability for the most part. Even has butterfly shoulders and an ab crunch. His shoulders can also raise for a more natural arm raised movement but the joints there aren't very strong and will flop down after while.

The hips are limited due to the side kibble but they can be removed along with the rest to recreate scenes from the show where he didn't have them.

He as a beam blast effect, a gun, some stand accessories so he can use Dinobot's stand (didn't bother because I already have Dinobot using it), and a toothbrush that's a bit difficult to hold. The gun pegs in fine into the left hand but the toothbrush doesn't. Also the thumb can't seem to swivel, so he hand can't grip the toothbrush with his forefinger and thumb.

T-Rex articulation isn't very good, but damn it if he doesn't have character. He can move his legs backward a bit, outward a bit and knees(?)forward. His feet move side to side, forward and back and the toes move individually and help a lot with posing in mode modes. Arms can move at shoulder but nothing else there. Tail moves enough at the base and the tip side to side. Head swivels at neck, mouth opens wide, tongue up and down, and the eyes move about freely

The figure has lights and sounds but I don't like to leave my toys with batteries inside so I didn't bother.

He's also about the same height of Perfect Effect Megadoragon. While Megadorogan has the creepy Shepard smile that I refuse to use, this guys has a mre show accurate smile.

UkaOTfG.jpg
    6XlW3cO.jpg
    k7578Ka.jpg
    A6pqYaw.jpg
    4qFdIAA.jpg
    slCqm7D.jpg
    pVAVpuF.jpg
    3IOOcnI.jpg
    JAdc9rP.jpg
    6aTaOL0.jpg
    1F9Z2Ab.jpg
    1EOJym5.jpg

MMC Azalea (3rd party G1)

Much like the Stealth version this is a very neat figure with great articulation, transformation, and appearance.

Excuse some of the potato pics. Lost the sunlight while taking them (see above)

The guns now have holes to let them stick on the existing pegs on the thighs.

I had to add a bit of paint to the lower lip of the smiling face because it was looking a little too thin. The smile still looks a little good but better than before in my opinion. I saw another person online paint a bigger smile and was planning to do that same until I had it in hand. To do so would mean to paint part of the lower lip a teeth, and would give her a under bite. I also could have painted the lip better that I did but the entire time I was worried I was going to fuck up so I left it was I did.

The knees on this figure are looser than the stealth version. I tried dropping acrylic gloss paint but I don't think it's worked. Maybe I need to try again and let it set, but then I'm worried it would seal the joints completely and prevent them from moving.

Also annoyed this figure didn't come with a pink psycho face like the exclusive stealth version did.

vZNFn62.jpg
    3PbiOKP.jpg
    ULxiyAl.jpg
    QDtqNQd.jpg
    fw4vYI2.jpg
    1tkeD8b.jpg
    zveqkrJ.jpg
    Q0pBWun.jpg
    hk4d5vh.jpg
    4AolpT1.jpg
    yZQ7r85.jpg
    p44Zzs2.jpg
    I4XNjC1.jpg
    DDrhrHP.jpg
    YX0brQi.jpg
    NmJbWeP.jpg
    EQDP0ar.jpg

Not my photo for smiling face comparison since I didn't take a better before pic.

ZaTEnSj.png

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    edited April 2019
    The arcee horror movie face is still hilarious

I'd expect mercy and pharah to end up being better than reaper. His design needs cloth goods I think. That doesn't mean the engineering here wasn't poor, but even if it was better I'd expect the trench coat to get in the way

WingedWeasel on
    Cool! I'm glad you got your Beast Wars Megatron in. I've been waiting for your photos since I have seen others getting theirs. Never seen BW in my life but the T-Rex looks great, just weird to me being purple and the robot mode not allowing the head to be anything other than a hand. Now when are you going to photoshop your new figure into your sig image and avatar?

I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be photographed and shared. Got my Siege Starscream, Siege Soundwave, and tapes that are so awesome!!! Got my G1 Warpath that I always wanted as a kid (and keep out to fiddle with at nights). MP + Prowl and Wheeljack that look so nice next to my + Sideswipe. Plus SS Drift with Dinobots (Dinobabies?) which finally came in.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Anyone know if there were replacement heads for CW devastator? I know one of the 3p ones had a screaming face, and there were some replacement hands that looked good but I dunno if there was a new head for that one. I kinda want one with a screaming expression.

Re- bw Megatron: I've seen similar reported issues. Some sound really bad. I think I recall vangelus (maybe?) Saying something on Twitter about there being a relatively simple correction to prevent damage but for the price it is frustrating that it is even necessary

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The DNA DK-01 has a replacement head for CW Dev.

Heffling wrote: »
    The DNA DK-01 has a replacement head for CW Dev.

I may go in on that. The alternate head in the set obviously is a great addition, just wish they had more expressions, for scrapper anyway.

That dr. wu replacement for Mixmaster never happened did it?

The flame toys shattered glass.optimus looks pretty good. Although I can't tell if "presenting weenie" is the only standing pose.

This discussion has been closed.