As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Always have a notebook handy and always write shit down because no matter how obvious you think it is you will not remember what you did weeks from now.

I painted a Tau army in olive drab colours and learnt this lesson hard because oh boy do the three million variations of military green not look discernibly different when in the bottle.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Having built and primed every miniature I own I've started basecoating things.

This gave me the opportunity to try out that Vallejo burnt iron airpaint I picked up... wow is that a great color. It went on like silk straight from the bottle too.

Color me impressed.

I found out my local LGS can bring in any Vallejo product, he just doesn't stock them due to shelf space... I might be ordering more of their airpaints.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If I use gloss nuln oil to wash the imperial knight and then do a matte varnish, is that going to entirely defeat the purpose of using the gloss wash?

Edit: started the gloss nuln oil shading and it isn't really looking different yet. Gonna do two layers so maybe I'll notice something with the second but so far it is really underwhelming. The gold details are still really bright as well.

Edit2: I primed the armor plates. Most of them on the sprue. First time doing that, what do I do when I cut them out? Trim the flash and paint over it with the base paint? I primed with the Fang rattle can and I have the fang in a pot.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I've been basecoating things. I've started using GWs Averland Sunset primer as a step saver, then I give each model an all over wash of Nuln Oil, then apply a layer of Averland Sunset back over the flat surfaces, leaving the darker wash in the recesses. I'm trying to do all of that to all the models in my current list, so that I can get this boring step out of the way, then move on to finishing models.

So far, I've done about 10 Intercessors, 6 Aggressors and 2 lieutenants. Tonight I plan on trying to get my captain and5 more intercessors done, and start on 5 Hellblasters.

uvsPl5J.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Decided to do some painting. Painting up the space marine heroes models as Space Wolves. Priming did not go as well as I had thought but whatever, I need practice.

Painting pre build models is so rough. There are details being blocked by the gun and backpack that frustrate me. I've been watching Duncan paint to try and get an idea for what I'm doing here and I wish he would do a more detailed video on painting behind the gun and around the backpacks.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Prime candidates for being left off. For push fit parts you can shorten the peg and it can be attached and removed much easier. Useful if you want to play with them in the meantime

This is just kind of miserable. I have a huge army for Space Wolves and it is all put together and it is going to be a pain to paint all these.

I don't like missing details but I'm also not painting for a competition so it should be fine. I just keep thinking about it.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Painting pre build models is so rough. There are details being blocked by the gun and backpack that frustrate me. I've been watching Duncan paint to try and get an idea for what I'm doing here and I wish he would do a more detailed video on painting behind the gun and around the backpacks.

Have you considered requesting it?

edited April 2019
    Mayday wrote: »

Have you considered requesting it?

I have not. How would I do that?

For air paints do I still need to water them down if I'm brush painting? I need to use averland sunset but I apparently only have an airbrush version.

Edit: setup a wet pallet with a paper towel and parchment baking paper. Do I need to water the paints down with this or is the moisture in there already supposed to take care of that for me?

Stragint on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The wet pallet only keeps the paint from drying out, it doea nothing to thin them.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    After a few nights of getting back into it, I can already tell that I'm getting faster and my brushstrokes are more confident.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The wet pallet only keeps the paint from drying out, it doea nothing to thin them.

My experience dictates otherwise. I'm not saying it does the whole job, but you definitely need less thinner on a wet palette.
    But then again I have been using a wet palette exclusively for many years now.

Mayday on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple

My method for painting behind guns and backpacks on models that are already assembled and primed follows thusly:
    1. Don't.

If you can't see it to paint it, nobody is going to be able to see it either. I used to waste so much time painting chest eagles/chaos stars/skulls that go behind guns, doing all of the shading and highlighting and making them look god damn amazing, only to have them covered up and never to be seen again. Seriously, worrying about those parts is just wasting time.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple

My method for painting behind guns and backpacks on models that are already assembled and primed follows thusly:
    1. Don't.

If you can't see it to paint it, nobody is going to be able to see it either. I used to waste so much time painting chest eagles/chaos stars/skulls that go behind guns, doing all of the shading and highlighting and making them look god damn amazing, only to have them covered up and never to be seen again. Seriously, worrying about those parts is just wasting time.

I generally would just prime the model and pack separately, attach the backpack and then before painting the model do a liberal addition of washes around the joint to darken the whole thing then ignore afterwards

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple

1. Don't.

Part of me knows you're right....

... the other part is all hhhnnnnnnnngggg :? :? :? at leaving parts of a model unpainted.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »

1. Don't.

... the other part is all hhhnnnnnnnngggg :? :? :? at leaving parts of a model unpainted.

Yea, that is my feeling on it. I know I should ignore it but I'll know it is there even if it isn't really noticeable on the tabletop.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    This is why you always prime black.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple

1. Don't.

Yea, that is my feeling on it. I know I should ignore it but I'll know it is there even if it isn't really noticeable on the tabletop.

I used to be the same way and honestly, it was real hard not to do it at first. Then I realized I was painting models incredibly slowly and wasting a bunch of time on those spots when a bast coat and wash provided enough color and depth that it didn't matter to me or anyone I was playing with or showing off models to.

I mean, if you feel the urge to do it, go nuts. But if you're agonizing over how to paint parts of models that are covered up and it's frustrating you to do it, just try a couple without painting deep behind things and see how it makes you feel.

1. Don't.

I used to be the same way and honestly, it was real hard not to do it at first. Then I realized I was painting models incredibly slowly and wasting a bunch of time on those spots when a bast coat and wash provided enough color and depth that it didn't matter to me or anyone I was playing with or showing off models to.

I mean, if you feel the urge to do it, go nuts. But if you're agonizing over how to paint parts of models that are covered up and it's frustrating you to do it, just try a couple without painting deep behind things and see how it makes you feel.

That is what I'm going to try. I have 8 models from the space marine heroes stuff that I'm painting. Gonna see if I can ignore my compulsiveness and just feel alright with them being done after I finish.

Tried the wet pallet, every time I tried to water down the paint even with just a tiny amount it basically turned into an ink. It was smooth enough to get good coverage without adding more water. I also did shade in the details and cleaned up with dry brushing russ grey to cover up the screw ups and they are coming along nicely. Just need to figure out which great company I want them to be from, gonna be using them for kill team mostly.

I might finish doing the second layer of gloss nuln oil on my knight and two warglaives first.

I also finally tested the tamiya paint to see what shade of blue I like more for my grey knight kill team. The blue looks really good on vallejo aluminum and vallejo gun metal grey. I'd show a picture but it doesn't look right.

Been doing a lot of painting stuff in spurts and trying to take advantage of the times I actually feel like doing something so everything has been sporadic.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    OVAkogm.jpg

Still a few obvious places to clean up on the bases but I'm really liking how these came out!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Purple
    I've been considering painting my knight in a red/blue candy scheme. I really need to research how those candy colors are done.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I've been considering painting my knight in a red/blue candy scheme. I really need to research how those candy colors are done.

I find tamiya clear paints gets a really good candy style color or the paint that is used in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Wrrx-m_zk&t=166s

Speaking or candy color schemes, I want to do my grey knight kill team in a blue but I can't which to use.

Both had a prime of vallejo surface prie gloss black.

I then used vallejo gun metal grey and tamiya clear coat blue. This one came out as a more dark teal that reminds me of alpha legion.
    oixzJHL.jpg

This one used vallejo aluminum and tamiya clear. This has a pretty nice bright blue color.
    6XjiKin.jpg

I'm kind of leaning towards the dark teal but I'm not sure.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    l5JZ8ch.jpg?1
    Work in progress testing the scheme on cloth, had to use brush on primer and it was streaky, causing the cloth to be streaky. Not sure I hate it, really. Gotta wash/highlight the armor and bone, and paint the bases up.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2019
    Purple

I find tamiya clear paints gets a really good candy style color or the paint that is used in this video.

Speaking or candy color schemes, I want to do my grey knight kill team in a blue but I can't which to use.

I then used vallejo gun metal grey and tamiya clear coat blue. This one came out as a more dark teal that reminds me of alpha legion.
    oixzJHL.jpg

This one used vallejo aluminum and tamiya clear. This has a pretty nice bright blue color.
    6XjiKin.jpg

Thanks! This is exactly what I was talking about.

Are these aceylic paints?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

1. Don't.

The problem I have is with the current ones it's hard to not give them the weapon since it's part of their body/arm But I would just paint them up knowing they would never be seen it was part of the body

edited April 2019

oixzJHL.jpg

6XjiKin.jpg

All the paints I used on the spoon are acrylic. I used an airbrush for them but they are also brush friendly.

The paint used in the YouTube video I'm not sure about but I think is a lacquer.

Edit: I can do up two red spoons if you want examples of red as well.

Stragint on

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Got my first nurgle unit finished. Look at these handsome plagueybois. Painting with washes is so much fun. These dudes are mega gross.PRetty dang underwhealming in game. Obviously I just need more of them.
    vLiwwdz.jpg?1
    NMqSkLx.jpg?1
    hPVOLky.jpg?1
    9d5LED8.jpg?1
    tGV5DdG.jpg?1
    HrtDd9k.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    I feel like I went way too heavy with the tamiya clear blue. I'm not feeling these Grey Knights.
    bk2EAho.jpg
    6NQKPN8.jpg
    LkN5sl3.jpg
    iIcqARn.jpg
    Vzo060C.jpg
    YnjryQM.jpg
    czdBTsE.jpg
    0XafUJN.jpg

Not sure where to go with them next. Either a wash of nuln oil or agrax or gloss varnish and pin wash them. I am also probably gonna paint the guns leadbelcher and do the normal thing. Probably gonna leave the blades the blue color and try to add to it to see if I can do something cool but I honestly have no idea where to go for that. Do some silver and gold details where it makes sense. I don't think I lost any detail on them but I still feel like I went way too heavy with the paint.

Maybe I will like them better after some of that.

I also did a test of tamiya clear red and orange.

I did all of them will vallejo surface primer gloss black.

This one is vallejo aluminum and then tamiya clear red.
    FrrSSIM.jpg

Vallejo gun metal grey and then tamiya clear red.
    yCbaBC8.jpg

Vallejo aluminum and then tamiya clear orange.
    5sTyKkY.jpg

Vallejo gun metal grey and then tamiya clear orange.
    E3wxECk.jpg

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Damn the gun metal and clear red looks boss. I'm building a sazabi at the moment and that would be just the ticket

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I like the Aluminum and Orange.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm stealing the gun metal and red for something I'm working on.

edited April 2019
    Purple

oixzJHL.jpg

6XjiKin.jpg

All the paints I used on the spoon are acrylic. I used an airbrush for them but they are also brush friendly.

The paint used in the YouTube video I'm not sure about but I think is a lacquer.

Edit: I can do up two red spoons if you want examples of red as well.

If you could, that'd be great!

Edit: Hey, you already did! Awesome!

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Who makes those spoon miniatures? Gonna need some to balance out my breakfast army.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Purple
    I suppose I could just do a red and blue knight as a freeblade.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    If you're planning to play them with your Fists, it'd make for an interesting bit of contrast.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Purple
    That is my plan. I actually like House Hawkshroud the best, but I'm beginning to think I am hung up on yellow. So I want something different.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    My local gaming group is quite into Wild West Exodus, and today I pulled the trigger on some models of my own. I got the Tribal Retribution starter, a box of plains hunters and fighters, and an extra Face (Irontooth.)

Time to learn to paint skin tones and faces.

Who makes those spoon miniatures? Gonna need some to balance out my breakfast army.

Fork OP needs to be nerfed. Buff knife pls.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Fork OP needs to be nerfed. Buff knife pls.

Poor spork, always stuck paying a hybrid tax.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited April 2019
    I'm having a lot of trouble feeling good about these Space Wolves so far. I know I'm not really even close to being done but they feel off. I'm pretty much following the battle ready Space Wolves video from warhammer tv.

dyuJzRY.jpg

Trying some sub assembly with a Space Wolves model that I think looks cool.

zABaujz.jpg

Got the armor plates for my imperial knight primed and the shoulder pads are nearly done. Trying to see if I can get a friend to paint the Ironwolves great company symbol on the left shoulder.

4Y2AVRA.jpg
    88sZpUY.jpg

Stragint on

This discussion has been closed.