As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    OMG, they murdered information itself?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    no, some guy on their roofing crew, it's just no one knows why.

Information O'Connelly, poor bastard.

no but seriously though a man is dead HAVE SOME RESPECT SHEESH i'm just messin with you this happened like 30 years ago by now probably and i never met either one.

edit: now that i think on it, the perpetrators of all three crimes may well be gone themselves. i know my great uncle bill is, and i'm pretty sure the state saw to my dad's cousin Ricky. his other cousin, the guy with the proclivity for roof repair, i'm not sure about him. he might still be in prison or maybe even let out, apparently he was a model prisoner. didn't cooperate much with questioning and all that so i doubt they took it easy on him, not that they should have or anything. Ricky definitely deserved to be in prison forever, and whether that's a short or long forever I guess doesn't really matter. Uncle Bill was just doing work that no one else was doin.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Yooooo guess who fuckin realized that he's related to at least three actual murderers it's this guuuuuyyyyyyy

Pfft, related to. Laaaaame.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Yooooo guess who fuckin realized that he's related to at least three actual murderers it's this guuuuuyyyyyyy

Pfft, related to. Laaaaame.

I JUST HAVEN'T FOUND THE RIGHT PERSON LAY OFF I'M SAVING MYSELF FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL

man that actually is definitely a thing a serial killer has said yuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezbobo63t1M

JUMPSCARE

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If I were to get Q powers I'd probably just use them to Large Marge people across the galaxy

also, man, my sister did a pretty good spook on me today

I came downstairs and she left me a little box on my desk with a note thanking me for driving her around while she doesn't have her license (a long, dumb story)

I picked up the box and it started popping and shaking and I dropped it and it's making weird noises and occasionally inching around

That jerk filled a box with Mexican Jumping Beans and they scared the hell out of me. She must have spent a decent amount of money too, because there's a lot of them and I'm pretty sure you'd have to get them on like, Amazon 2-day or something, it's not like there's a prank store nearby.

edit: this is the best kind of prank because now I have a bunch of little hoppy motherfuckers that I can use to try and prank somebody else

Depressperado on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I always forget that jumping beans are a real thing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    There are like, little bug larvae in there right?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah some kinda moth, I think?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, a pretty mundane-looking moth. They don't like heat, and eventually dehydrate if there's no heavy rain/moisture every now and then.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I guess the beans hatch at some point?

The moths kind of have a sad life. They only live for a few days.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I guess the beans hatch at some point?

well in most jumping bean pranks they just die

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The moths spend most of their lives as larva. Weird.

• Options
    Many winged insects are similar. The damselfly famously spends the majority of its life as a predatory water nymph before emerging as an adult, usually only to die within about a week. Sometimes, certain species of dragonfly and damselfly live for years as a nymph, only to live a few days, mate, then die.

I'm David Attenborough, reminding you of the fleeting and fragile nature of existence and the ultimate meaningless and random nature of life.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I can imagine some damselfly looking over the pond, peering down into the water at some larvae and saying...

"Get off my lawn, ya whippersnappers!"

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I can imagine some damselfly looking over the pond, peering down into the water at some larvae and saying...

"Get off my lawn, ya whippersnappers!"

And the larva just go "Get rekt Grandpa! we'll be here long after you're dead."

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So I just remembered one of many spooky things in my life.

Back in 1996, I was stage crew for a production of Bye-Bye, Birdie (which is why I hate musicals; only joined up because my girlfriend, and some other friends were in the show). At the end of its run, there was a big party for the cast and crew, which was the same night that Daylight Savings ended. I remember because we all were using it as an excuse to stay out very late (most of us were seniors, but we still had to be home at a normal hour). Well, we did, and on the drive home, we had an overpacked car. Two up front, four in the back (my gf was sitting on my lap). We get onto the highway, and there’s a toll booth ahead, probably 300 yards away. We are the only car on a long, straight, fully lit road that has no exit from something like a half mile behind us until after the toll.

Next thing I know, my face is in the headrest of the seat in front of me, I hear a loud “whooshing” sound, my gf is hanging half out the passenger window, there’s a crazy burning smell, and everyone is screaming. We got rear-ended. Driver pulls over immediately (I’m still impressed with how cool he was in the situation, because he normally would lose his mind over something like that), and we take a quick moment to make sure everyone is OK. The rear of the car was smashed inward directly towards the middle of the seat, which buckled inwards and caused a minor neck injury for my friend who was sitting there. My gf was freaking out because the passenger window had shattered and she almost fell out of the car. The fourth person in back was fine, just shaken up, and the two up front had no issues other than being shocked. This was within the span of 15 seconds from impact to being pulled over and knowing we were all fine. We get out, look around—nothing. No other car. We expected a bad wreck, or ... well, anything, but absolutely no one in sight. No headlights from another vehicle, no taillights, either. It was a one-way road, no other lanes they could have jumped over to. Again, no exit until after the tollbooth, so a couple people ran down to ask if anyone just came through. The attendant said no one had been by in at least 15 minutes. This was an elevated highway ramp with nowhere to go but over the edge or through the toll. And yes, we looked over the edge, and there were no cars that had fallen down.

Now, I’m sure there is a perfectly normal explanation. But I can’t think of one. I’m fairly certain we got clipped by a UFO or some interdimensional traveler.

Anyways, never overpack your car with people and always wear your seatbelt. We were insanely lucky to get away with just a few bruises and a minor neck injury.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am really, really curious to hear what the insurance adjuster had to say about that situation.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Inwould wager it was a hit and run and given the proximity to a toll both where they could call the state troopers whoever it was pulled a U turn and booked it to to other side of the road as soon as they could

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Sort of makes me think about a story my father told me a long time ago about when he was in his early 20s and had just barely started seeing my mom.

This takes place in Massachusetts around 1980 give or take. He was driving late at night, coming home from his friends' and he definitely should have opted to crash there instead of driving. Nevertheless, he chose to drive home. It was very dark and the roads were pretty-much empty. What happened next happened without warning. Something heavy struck the front of my father's car (it being one of those flat-fronted old Chevrolets or similar), then over the hood, up the windshield and disappeared. I don't know what kind of damage it left but the car still ran and my father was scared out of his mind because he knew it wasn't an animal. It ended up being a person on a motorcycle with their headlights off traveling against traffic on the highway for unknown reasons.

The best my dad could figure, they had to have been high or something to be doing that. The cops let him go without too many questions and he made a beeline to stay on my mom's couch that night instead of driving any longer.

I never got confirmation because he is still shaken when he recalls the story, but it did not sound like the rider that hit him head-on made it. It sounds terrifying and I will never not think of that when I'm driving on the highways at night or see anyone driving with their headlights off.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Inwould wager it was a hit and run and given the proximity to a toll both where they could call the state troopers whoever it pulled a U turn and booked it to to other side of the road as soon as they could

I was going to say maybe it was a boar, but only because we had a boar run right into the side of our HS school bus. Damn thing fell over, laid there maybe 20 seconds, then hopped up and ran off into the forest.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That's neat.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Who the hell did they pay for the licensing???

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    No one. SCP is licensed under Creative Commons.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/licensing-guide

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    We're all just kinda giant mobile mech suits for bacterial colonies when you think about it. We're like .00000001% of the population of our own bodies. Just a big gooey generational colony ship, a biological vessel carrying a crew through a vast and hostile universe that they cannot perceive or imagine.

Or so I told my husband specifically to creep him out. It worked.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I like the scientology viewpoint of us being a bunch of aliens stuck together to form some kind of abomination

• Options
    I don't know if I believe it but it sure is a mood right?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Theres a movie adaptation of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark with Gillermo Del Toro producing and Im personally offended that none of you have mentioned this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGdWxOub68
    And Harold is confirmed <3

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    nothing they put to film can be as scary as those illustrations

• Options
    WELL THAT LOOKS AMAZING

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    nothing they put to film can be as scary as those illustrations

I agree, but I'm still looking forward to it

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Scary Stories 3 was the first book I ever read by myself. It is why I knew that was a picture of Harold (goddamn that story), and why I love detailed accounts of poultergeist activity

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    the bit with the lady in the pink dress made my lunch jump, christ how horrifying

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    There are no goddamn words for the way that makes my skin crawl.

But that lady in the middle reminds me of an Adipose :rotate:

Bedlam on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    that was a good ghost scream at the end

• Options
    edited April 2019
    darunia106 wrote: »

It is grabbing an image for texture mapping and putting it in screen buffer somehow.

It is funny how glitches can be creepy as hell.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Here is an article about ghosts not existing.
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/the-lhc-proves-ghosts-do-not-exist

The important thing about physics is that there are two schools that they have never figured out how to work together, classical and modern physics. So, there is still a good deal of unknown out there.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's likely that ghosts exist, but I will be extremely tickled if it turns out that the missing element in the grand unified theory is ghosts.

Spooky action at a distance, indeed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I like ghost stories that have ghosts existing on another plane of existence that overlaps our own. That gets around the physics problem.