As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Buy price match policy?

MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I had a quick question regarding Best Buy's price match policy. I'm currently living in south south Texas, and we have no Fry's nearby. I'm looking to purchase an HDTV here that BB has locally for about $1450. Fry's, however, has it for $1197. I know BB has a 60 day policy regarding HDTVs. I was planning on traveling up state this holiday season, and was hoping to go to a BB in Austin and asking for the difference. Would they honor it? Or would they decline saying I bought it in the South Texas region, and that region has no local Fry's. Anyone know?

MrOletta on

• Options
    CatcherCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So let me get this strait; you bought an HDTV in a region where there are no Fry's stores, but in Austin there is a Fry's store? I used to work at Best Buy for 6 months and their policy on price-matching is they will to any store for the exact same item as long as that store is within a 25 mile radius from Best Buy. You will be able to return the TV to the Fry's in Austin for the amount you paid for it, however if there is no Fry's near by they won't honor Fry's lower price. My advice would be to return the TV and purchase it from Fry's online sight or Newegg, both who have lower prices than Best Buy.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I realize that the TV can be purchased online for cheaper, but at the moment, if you combine a few deals, you get a much better deal at best buy, IF (a big if) I could get it price matched to 1200.

Basically I was curious if i could:

1.) Purchase TV in south texas for 1500, and get it coupled with their promotional directTV package to get -$400 off. Mind you, i'd still be buying a receiver and a contract, so the TV doesn't come out to $1100, i'm still paying $1500 for it.

2.) Travel to Austin and go to a Best Buy there and say "Hey, Fry's has the TV for $1200. I'd like $300 back please"

Would it work, or would they tell me to get bent because there was no local Fry's where i initially purchased the television?

MrOletta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You still haven't said if there's a Fry's in Austin, because if not its hopeless. Even if there is, you would have to return the TV bring in proof of Fry's lower price, they'll see that and if there is a local Fry's they will honor the price-match guarantee.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yes sorry, there is a Fry's in Austin.

I would have to actually return the TV to get the price match? Blech, that seems a little excessive. I was hoping they would just call Fry's and verify the price and give me my money back and mark it on the receipt that it was honored.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MrOletta wrote:
    Yes sorry, there is a Fry's in Austin.

I would have to actually return the TV to get the price match? Blech, that seems a little excessive. I was hoping they would just call Fry's and verify the price and give me my money back and mark it on the receipt that it was honored.

Trust me, they won't call Fry's, I worked in the sales department for 3 months. Yes, you would actually have to return the product which brings me to ask why you wouldn't just return the TV in the Austin Best Buy and then go to the Fry's there since they have the lower price.

Catcher on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Beyond that, you would also likely lose any promotional deals. In other words, they may very well say "With the DirectTV deal you got, the TV is already below their price."

it's what a lot of price match and discount stores do. Once you try to combine and get stuff for super cheap, they take off other deals.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast