As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    They both ripped off of World War 1.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    And, really, there are only so many ways to take the design when the brief is "Tiny tank, piloted by one person".

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Certainly minitanks, and tanks with additional flexible gun mounts independent of the turret are reminiscent of WWI, but I've never heard of IRL examples that combined the two traits. Also, I feel like the aggressively toothed treads & rear-facing gatling gun ball turret are both original to these fictional designs.

Edit: I dunno, it was just something that occurred to me a little while ago as I was looking at model kits of vehicles from various anime, manga, and video games.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, sort of off-topic, but does anyone else think that Metal Slug's tank was inspired by Dominion Tank Police?
    kdjaw3ac7xb5.jpg9fosieux8noh.jpg
    Compared to
    88vq2nh72o1n.jpgxfqmogvq8pbh.jpg

I don't know what the second thing is but yeah sure looks it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Did Metal Slug have dick shaped tank traps like Dominion Tank Police?

• Options
    ahahah don't look that up at work, he's not exaggerating about the dick tank traps

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, sort of off-topic, but does anyone else think that Metal Slug's tank was inspired by Dominion Tank Police?
    kdjaw3ac7xb5.jpg9fosieux8noh.jpg
    Compared to
    88vq2nh72o1n.jpgxfqmogvq8pbh.jpg

I don't know what the second thing is but yeah sure looks it

It's been like two and a half decades since I saw the anime, but the second thing is a light tank used by the main heroine of Dominion Tank Police that she nicknames 'Bonaparte'. She's basically a military otaku who obsesses over it.
    e7gfeeau4ui2.jpg

Dominion's a somewhat tongue-in-cheek cyberpunk 80's manga and anime OAV series by Masamune Shirow, the same guy who made Ghost In The Shell, & also Appleseed.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Huh I didn't recognize Shirow's character art style at all. The tank is a bit tachikoma-esque though isn't it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    If you look at these cover pages (from the wikipedia articles), it's a little more apparent (spoiled for slightly risqué GitS cover).
    2smy2eoa0b6o.jpg4k6fjvsg0hth.jpgd2t7lg8trj0c.jpg

Circling back to the topic of plamo (since you brought up tachikoma), I haven't heard good things about the new(ish) GitS show, but the new spider tanks are really cool. Check out this logicoma kit from Kotobukiya:
    9hfraun18u7c.jpg
    lehoxvnnxnmm.jpg
    ugah3kmncbil.jpg
    z9drkago408h.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I ordered a HG Lupus Rex kit and a HG Bael kit so I can do a little IBO kitbashing.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Haven't been around these parts for a couple months. Landed several directing jobs in a row so I've been slammed.

But FINALLY I was able to complete my Epyon build while watching golf this weekend.

IMG_0248_zpsyklrjyji.jpg

IMG_0249_zpswywuwgtp.jpg

Feels amazing to complete my first model build ever. I still have work I need to to do on it like panel lining, decals, cleaning it up, etc, but having snapped everything together is a big relief. I've had that kit for YEARS and never touched it. Kind of surreal.

I think I did ok for the most part. Definitely a learning curve and I had major problems with the shoulder joints. Like neither wanted to rotate AT ALL and one of them completely broke. I've watched reviews and clearly people are able to adjust them so I did something wrong but I have no idea what. Like the second I connected the shoulders to the torso, they just didn't want to go in. They're so tight.

But ultimately I don't really care. I won't do much posing or messing with it after I'm done.

Anyways, just wanted to share updated pics. Gonna work on panel lining this week then maybe next week look at decals. Then I want to do some touch ups on some of the nub marks.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    End of an era, start of another, @Grove. Great looking kit, good job!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    That shelf looks familiar.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ahahah don't look that up at work, he's not exaggerating about the dick tank traps

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am at this response.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Is there a decent toy or model kit of the SDF-1 Macross available?

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Hasegawa has a non-transforming 1/4000 scale one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Macross-fortress-Prometheus-Daedalus-Hasegawa/dp/B014F9LHF8

And Yamato has a transforming 1/3000 scale one:
    https://www.amazon.com/SDF-1-Macross-1-3000-Scale-x/dp/B0042JS7JG

Can't speak to their quality, though.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I love the SDF-1 so much

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    so for the big 10th anniversary of premium bandai thing they're doing they announced a pbandai F90 and presumably a ton of pbandai expansion sets

which i am completely fine ignoring, since F90 is the worst era of gundam design imo

but then they also had these tucked away in their display hall of every pbandai release

and now i'm like damn maybe i should get that hazel with the conversion joints ......

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Moon Gundam?

Moon Gundam!

0BX9KtHh.jpg?1

So little bit of fun with this one. The eye/head piece only came in clear and OPAQUE green. Which was, needless to say, annoying. So I decided, what the hell, let's try to do the best of both worlds.

So in poor lighting conditions, I tried my best to apply the metallic green gunpla marker stuff to the back of the white transparent piece, so it kind of shines through. And it looks fairly good!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    MOON

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    so for the big 10th anniversary of premium bandai thing they're doing they announced a pbandai F90 and presumably a ton of pbandai expansion sets

which i am completely fine ignoring, since F90 is the worst era of gundam design imo

but then they also had these tucked away in their display hall of every pbandai release

and now i'm like damn maybe i should get that hazel with the conversion joints ......

hey when'd they start making zone of the enders kits

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just give me Crossbones Gundam

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Oh no I want that Hyzenthlay P-Bandai kit so badly!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its gonna cost so much

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

I only live about an hour away....

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

Same, I just don't have $6,000 to spend on a 20ft tall Zaku nor a place to properly store or display it.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

I get paid this weekend, let me do some math

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Looks like we're getting a RG Nu Gundam

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    shit, guess i gotta get it to keep my sazabi company

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Just got this in my email

"Your Bones 4 Kickstarter shipment has received postage!"
    It should arrive by Saturday!

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Me: I just ordered a bunch of Gunpla stuff so I should hold off for a while to save up.
    Bandai: RG Nu Gundam!
    Me: Ah Shit, Here We Go Again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    WIP 3: One leg and head to go!
    Gundam legs are thin and smaller than the Zeon legs.
    Love the 70s pant-leg style :biggrin:
    The special hand with vertical wrist hinge is pretty neat, allowing for a stretched arm with a horizontal sword :+1:
    n7y7l7nq82ar.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh man...

I... I have such a backlog to get through now that my latest package has arrived...

0tBVD8jl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    #1stworldproblems

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Your Dark Horn was finally delivered to the correct address? Nice!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Your Dark Horn was finally delivered to the correct address? Nice!

Oh yeah, there is that. :)

It actually snuck up on me. I checked on it on Wednesday, and it was still in New York being processed. Then all of a sudden yesterday I see a delivery slip in my mailbox, saying I missed signing a package. USPS Informed Delivery hadn't given me any head's up or anything, so I picked it up this morning.

I did confirm this is the second one they sent out. I'm really, REALLY curious who in Michigan bought something from this company, and then got an address mixup and a free Dark Horn. I bet that if I dig around online on Reddit I could find someone posting about it, but eh.

• Options
    Man. Everyone who said Moon Gundam is like a real-grade in posability wasn't kidding. And SO MANY PANEL LINES!

LgHpGfgh.jpg

• Options
    best part of that kit, right there

uc3ufTB.png