As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    i5-9600K

Take gpu out and try to boot with onboard video.
    If still no video I am suspecting a motherboard or CPU problem in which case I would recommend removing CPU and reseting it making sure you got no bent pins in the socket.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Thanks. I'll try GPU-less onboard video in the morning.

I did remove the CPU. It, um, doesn't appear to have pins? The connections sit flush against one another? I double checked the mobo manual that I had it positioned correctly.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2

I did remove the CPU. It, um, doesn't appear to have pins? The connections sit flush against one another? I double checked the mobo manual that I had it positioned correctly.

The socket itself has pins that are basically delicate angled copper arms.

Intel feels this is less dangerous than pins on the CPU are stupid because some reason no one Cres about.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Intel feels this is less dangerous than pins on the CPU are stupid because some reason no one Cres about.

Because it lets them put bent pin problems on the motherboard manufacturers. Makes perfect sense...if you're Intel.

Orca wrote: »

Because it lets them put bent pin problems on the motherboard manufacturers. Makes perfect sense...if you're Intel.

That's true.
    I used to be able to fix virtually any pinned CPU no matter how fucked up. I must have fixed a dozen Athlon 1600's alone but the socket pins snap if you look at them funny and I hate it.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

That's true.
    I used to be able to fix virtually any pinned CPU no matter how fucked up. I must have fixed a dozen Athlon 1600's alone but the socket pins snap if you look at them funny and I hate it.

Yup, that's what happened to my asus board last week. My guess the socket guard was installed incorrectly and you could see several of the bent pins inside there. Really ticks me off not gonna lie.

That's true.

Yup, that's what happened to my asus board last week. My guess the socket guard was installed incorrectly and you could see several of the bent pins inside there. Really ticks me off not gonna lie.

yep and I guess technically you can fix that but it's SO much more delicate it's not worth it.
    I love intel CPU's but BGA can get fucked.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Welp, seeing drez's build experience was like an echo of what I experienced this weekend starting out my build.

So in the intervening years since my last build, it turns out the TUF line of Asus motherboards went from one of their higher end lines to their...entry level line? Like even below their Prime Line? I was hit with the brutal reality of adding M.2 SSD slots disable 3(!) out of the 6 available sata slots and the fact the board only has 6 back USB slots in total which makes it...not very good. Considering my mechanical keyboard takes 2, my mouse takes another, my UPS takes another etc etc. Really running into the upper limit of capacity rather quickly there. And it only has two Chassis Fan headers which isn't the most ideal either.

Of course I didn't have much chance to play around with that, as when opening the box it came in and removing the CPU socket guard, the pins were already bent...so...yeah...dud board....
    ...oh and Newegg doesn't allow for refunds...only replacements for motherboards....so that's a thing.

On top of that, I also didn't realize the different flavors that a "Full" tower can take these days. I had some discount code for an Phanteks case that I decide to splurge on one of their new "Primo" models because it had a green powdercoated interior that I really dig, and has plenty of space...only to realize this case has so much damn space I'm going to need to splurge for some PWM extension splitters in order to route the fan cables where I need them to be. Small potatoes I know, but that does hold up the build as I figure out where to route the wiring and whatnot. Also has really annoying brackets for attaching the intake fans, though I am appreciative of all the dust filters it does have. So yeah, was eager to get my build started this weekend only to trip and faceplant right at the beginning.

I'm going to sell the board once the RMA gets back and since I was eager to get the build going I ordered from amazon the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra since that has capacity for 3 M.2 SSDs and is a lot more feature rich than the TUF board. Pricier by about 80 bucks but I think I'll get more use out of it. Looks purty too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRZKSX4?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

*Wondering where my replacement motherboard is, was supposed to arrive yesterday*
    *Checks amazon for tracking information*
    2pq3bi532hzj.png

*This kills the cow*

Welp...so much for a leisurely weekend build and downloading of all of my windows updates and patches/games etc....

gtft7d4fds14.png

*This salts the cow's corpse and kicks it a few times*

Time to open up a lost package case I guess. I had a feeling it wasn't going to arrive when I checked on Saturday and it still showed the same status of leaving Illinois on Wednesday and hasn't been seen since.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Welp, seeing drez's build experience was like an echo of what I experienced this weekend starting out my build.

So in the intervening years since my last build, it turns out the TUF line of Asus motherboards went from one of their higher end lines to their...entry level line? Like even below their Prime Line? I was hit with the brutal reality of adding M.2 SSD slots disable 3(!) out of the 6 available sata slots and the fact the board only has 6 back USB slots in total which makes it...not very good. Considering my mechanical keyboard takes 2, my mouse takes another, my UPS takes another etc etc. Really running into the upper limit of capacity rather quickly there. And it only has two Chassis Fan headers which isn't the most ideal either.

Of course I didn't have much chance to play around with that, as when opening the box it came in and removing the CPU socket guard, the pins were already bent...so...yeah...dud board....
    ...oh and Newegg doesn't allow for refunds...only replacements for motherboards....so that's a thing.

On top of that, I also didn't realize the different flavors that a "Full" tower can take these days. I had some discount code for an Phanteks case that I decide to splurge on one of their new "Primo" models because it had a green powdercoated interior that I really dig, and has plenty of space...only to realize this case has so much damn space I'm going to need to splurge for some PWM extension splitters in order to route the fan cables where I need them to be. Small potatoes I know, but that does hold up the build as I figure out where to route the wiring and whatnot. Also has really annoying brackets for attaching the intake fans, though I am appreciative of all the dust filters it does have. So yeah, was eager to get my build started this weekend only to trip and faceplant right at the beginning.

I'm going to sell the board once the RMA gets back and since I was eager to get the build going I ordered from amazon the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra since that has capacity for 3 M.2 SSDs and is a lot more feature rich than the TUF board. Pricier by about 80 bucks but I think I'll get more use out of it. Looks purty too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRZKSX4?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

*Wondering where my replacement motherboard is, was supposed to arrive yesterday*
    2pq3bi532hzj.png

*This kills the cow*

Welp...so much for a leisurely weekend build and downloading of all of my windows updates and patches/games etc....

gtft7d4fds14.png

Time to open up a lost package case I guess. I had a feeling it wasn't going to arrive when I checked on Saturday and it still showed the same status of leaving Illinois on Wednesday and hasn't been seen since.

I'm sorry.

This might (not) make you feel better:
    psya4bw63mec.png

LD50 wrote: »

2pq3bi532hzj.png

*This kills the cow*

gtft7d4fds14.png

I'm sorry.

This might (not) make you feel better:
    psya4bw63mec.png

Oh gods inject it directly into my veins!

ltt6i9b9zwqa.png

Why must you tell me sweet little lies UPS? You dun' hurt me twice befo'!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My Seasonic PSU arrives tomorrow!

So the good news is that the new 2080 works perfectly. I had to run out and grab a DP cable so I could connect both of my monitors (only one hdmi connection on the card).

My new monitor doesn't come until wednesday, so until them I get to experience glorious 1080p 60 on a 2080ti. It's total overkill. What's worse is because of hockey I have literally only used the new card for world of warcraft! That must be some sort of cardinal sin. It's OK though, I've started the download of the high res texture pack that came out for monster hunter world, as well as FFXV. There's a few other games I've had on the back burner of my mind just waiting for a new GPU to burn them up.

The only downside I've ran into so far is that the GPU is too quiet. My computer is set up next to my bed and I'm used to the sound from the fans on my old 780 spinning 24/7. I had to put headphones and music on to sleep last night. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it makes me think the power has gone out or something.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I had to put headphones and music on to sleep last night. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it makes me think the power has gone out or something.
    this is bananas, just play some quiet white noise from your computer's speakers if it's on anyways!

edit - or get 1 of a million free white noise apps on your phone which is probably next to you charging all night!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2019
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I had to put headphones and music on to sleep last night. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it makes me think the power has gone out or something.
    this is bananas, just play some quiet white noise from your computer's speakers if it's on anyways!

edit - or get 1 of a million free white noise apps on your phone which is probably next to you charging all night!

I actually don't have any speakers hooked up to my computer. I do have a smart speaker I could cast white-noise to. It's also getting warm enough that I could set my standing fan back up.

Look man, the dulcet tones of my 780 have been lulling me to sleep for 6 years; I'm an old man and I don't like change.

LD50 on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    GET OFF MY VIDEO CARD LAWN

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I think AMD may be soon to end the nVidia raytracing monopoly in PC. That rumored Navi 20 RT unit is looking plausible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
    In further stupid delivery news now my motherboard is "late again" but supposedly delivering tomorrow. A whole goddamn week lost to this baloney. And now I check the item on amazon and Amazon itself is now stocking it for next day delivery.

*flips all the tables*

In further stupid delivery news now my motherboard is "late again" but supposedly delivering tomorrow. A whole goddamn week lost to this baloney. And now I check the item on amazon and Amazon itself is now stocking it for next day delivery.

*flips all the tables*

A thousand blessings upon MemoryExpress for making this nightmare a thing of the past for me.
    Do you have a microcentre or memoryexpress or Mikes computers or something close by? Most people are offering amazon matching these days.

*flips all the tables*

A thousand blessings upon MemoryExpress for making this nightmare a thing of the past for me.
    Do you have a microcentre or memoryexpress or Mikes computers or something close by? Most people are offering amazon matching these days.

Sadly I don't think so, but i'll fire up the ol' google fu and see what options are available.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    @august have you solved your gpu problem yet? I don't think I saw this mentioned but since you're switching from a Nvidia gpu to an AMD one you probably should remove the Nvidia drivers.

Try plugging your monitor into your mobo, removing the nvidia drivers, restart the computer, install the AMD drivers, then restart/shutdown, plug your monitor into the 580, and then turn it on.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    @august have you solved your gpu problem yet? I don't think I saw this mentioned but since you're switching from a Nvidia gpu to an AMD one you probably should remove the Nvidia drivers.

Try plugging your monitor into your mobo, removing the nvidia drivers, restart the computer, install the AMD drivers, then restart/shutdown, plug your monitor into the 580, and then turn it on.

Haven’t had time to take it in yet - I thought about it being a driver issue but the machine won’t post at all as far as I can tell. No default beep and no bios. The thing is there is what I assume is the default hdmi for the motherboard on this machine I inherited, but it’s blocked with a piece of black plastic. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to pry that out or what?

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The black plastic is just a shipping thing to prevent damage.

*flips all the tables*

Sadly I don't think so, but i'll fire up the ol' google fu and see what options are available.

Hrm none of those are really all that close. Microcenter apparently has a shop in downtown seattle, and the nearest microcenter is all the way up in Canada. Fry's is about 2 hours away from me it seems. Blagh, I figure at this point if it doesn't get delivered today I might just bite the bullet and drive in this weekend or something.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

*flips all the tables*

Hrm none of those are really all that close. Microcenter apparently has a shop in downtown seattle, and the nearest microcenter is all the way up in Canada. Fry's is about 2 hours away from me it seems. Blagh, I figure at this point if it doesn't get delivered today I might just bite the bullet and drive in this weekend or something.

Have you chatted with Amazon? They've been helpful to me in the past when delivery things were doing stupid things. They ended up cancelling my first order, and next day delivered the item at a reduced rate.

50433.png?1708759015
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

*flips all the tables*

Have you chatted with Amazon? They've been helpful to me in the past when delivery things were doing stupid things. They ended up cancelling my first order, and next day delivered the item at a reduced rate.

Huh, I can't believe I didn't even think of that ><

Alrighty guess I have some chat time coming up with an amazon rep.

edited April 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »

Is there a good way to remove it? Acer seems pretty determined to prevent people from using these ports.
    rb0wgh2c3zb6.jpeg

august on
    august wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »

Is there a good way to remove it? Acer seems pretty determined to prevent people from using these ports.
    rb0wgh2c3zb6.jpeg

What the hell....most of the plug covers have been just simple plastic sheathes with flanges that you can pry with a fingernail or credit card if they're really stuck on there...

Might have to get some needle nose tweezers to extract that or a safety pin to pull that mass out.

Yeah... I don't know if I can get it out. I think Acer REALLY didn't want tech support phone calls from people plugging into onboard video instead of the card. Going to dig around there some more, but I think the rig is failing to post at all with the new card in there because I don't here the default startup beep so I probably need someone to help me with it anyway.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I searched the model number of the PC you listed in an earlier post, and all the pictures show a 'this port is disabled' sticker over the HDMI port. So, using that port to diagnose what the issue is unfortunately not going to work.

From Newegg
    83-103-461-10.jpg

That PC case also severley limits how long of a video card you can fit in there. There are a couple of short/mini-size GTX 1660's for $220 that may very well fit since they're under 200mm long.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&amp;IsNodeId=1&amp;N=100007709 601292087 600358543&amp;LeftPriceRange=150 220

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    JFC why do OEMs make this so damn difficult. It takes *more* effort to disable those ports than it does to just shove a fully working board out the door.

I got lucky I think and my Red Devil does actually fit, if just barely. I managed to get the black plastic out - but can't get any video out of the onboard port and don't see anything pertaining to video output in the bios.

One thing I haven't tried yet is using UDU to remove the geforce drivers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this - I'm not getting any hdmi output from the Red Devil at all when I have it plugged in - not even the initial boot screen where you can select bios or boot options. My instinct is that the drivers are a Windows-level thing and that if I can't even get to bios then I have a more fundamental problem than drivers.

I got lucky I think and my Red Devil does actually fit, if just barely. I managed to get the black plastic out - but can't get any video out of the onboard port and don't see anything pertaining to video output in the bios.

One thing I haven't tried yet is using UDU to remove the geforce drivers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this - I'm not getting any hdmi output from the Red Devil at all when I have it plugged in - not even the initial boot screen where you can select bios or boot options. My instinct is that the drivers are a Windows-level thing and that if I can't even get to bios then I have a more fundamental problem than drivers.

Correct.

You should get a display with the card in regardless of whether you not you have a HD in even.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular

When I upgraded my 970 to a 2080 I didnt get video out on my 2080 until I updated the drivers and not only was I going from a Nvidia card to a Nvidia card, I was only 1 driver version behind. No idea why it wouldnt display and it freaked me out for a good while, but using on board video finally got it working. I'd continue working the onboard video angle to see if that fixes it.

I did have the problem where my computer thought it should have been displaying on a screen that wasnt my monitor, and apparently its common, so if you hear the fans spinning and the lights come on your keyboard and stuff, hit Windows + P and then tap down a couple of times and hit enter and see if that gets the display to work.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I know people SAY they're the same drivers, going from GTX to RTX

But man

It sure doesn't feel like it

I know people SAY they're the same drivers, going from GTX to RTX

But man

It sure doesn't feel like it

It's the same drivers in the sense that all instructions are Ikea instructions but the products are massively different.

Combine that with windows being shit at major changes and there you are.

Yeah, I just upgraded from a 780 to a 2080 TI and drivers were 100% not the same. It loaded into windows without drivers fine though, and the driver install was painless.

Also, my CHG70 came in today. I did not really realize how much larger 32 inches is compared to 28. My current first world problem is the need for a bigger desk.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Maybe toss the old card in, hit it with DDU and then swap cards?

Mah baby arrived intact! I can finally start this damn build!!!!

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The leaked AOC AGON 24g2u looks right up my ally.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/aocs-agon-g2-flat-gaming-price-release-date-3691730

I had been debating getting a AOC C24G1, so it's good to see my waiting may pay off.

I've also seen some really good deals on RAM, but I just don't feel comfortable buying some until Ryzen 3000 CPUs are launched, as I don't want to leave time between purchase and installation too long in case I miss out on the option of a charge back (worst case scenario, but better to have the option than not)

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
This discussion has been closed.