As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why 100% shut down something that's still posting profit though? That's not even remotely smart from a shareholder point of view.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why 100% shut down something that's still posting profit though? That's not even remotely smart from a shareholder point of view.

Because they were very focused on Korea at that point and didn't give two shits about the community of a decade old game from the west that had under-performed in SK.

That's the only way I can square that a game like Lineage 1 continues to fucking exist while CoX is dead.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Keep in mind we're talking about South Korean business culture. "Face", and the saving thereof, is absolutely a factor.

• Options
    You still think they'd sell off the IP if that's how they wanted to play it.

It mostly reads as spoiled pissbabies didn't get their way so they took it out on others.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

It mostly reads as spoiled pissbabies didn't get their way so they took it out on others.

Well, they did try to sell it, sort of.

And then it seems when they didn't get what they wanted from the first offer they threw at - Disney, I think it was? - they gave up, packed up their toys, and left.

• Options
    oh I never heard of them doing that

I remember someone tried to buy it who was well versed in korean corporate culture but never heard of anything past that

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Y'know I'm still surprised at the lack of superhero games in general.

The MCU, love it or hate it, is the undisputed God-Emperor of media right now and while the DCEU isn't exactly the hottest thing in the world they still bring in a very respectable amount of money. On the smallscreen front we are also knee-deep in Superhero shows as well.

Superheroes in general have never been more popular. You'd expect to see a deluge of superhero themed games, but instead we have a dearth of them.

Sure we had a fantastic Spider-Man game and we're getting a new Ultimate Alliance, but that's the only two I can name off the top of my head from recent years.

I remember when LoTR came out and was the biggest thing ever. We had a huge glut of Tolkein-ish fantasy games follow in its wake. Even GoT's popularity spawned more than a few GoT-ish fantasy games.

Hell, you'd think there'd at least be a bunch of cash grab movie-tie-in games, but we don't even have that (not that I'm complaining exactly).

So this current situation strikes me as really, really weird.

edit- Oh I forgot about the Batman games that are also very, very good. But still! My point remains.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Everything is mobile now. How do things look over there?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Surprisingly not that great either.

According to Marvel's own site they got about 5 mobile titles. DC has about 4, one of which is just the mobile version of the Telltale Batman game.

edit- Mind you I'm not bemoaning the lack of cash grab games, it's just like, the most blatantly obvious thing in the world to be doing right now and nobody is really doing it. And that is weird.

edit 2- Oh also I'm not necessarily referring to just Marvel/DC licensed superhero games either. Just superhero (licensed or original) themed games in general.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Aion was a shitshow financially, if anything deserved to be shuttered it was that.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    And then it seems when they didn't get what they wanted from the first offer they threw at - Disney, I think it was? - they gave up, packed up their toys, and left.

Can we take a moment to consider how this game might have been if Disney had purchased it, and continued buying up everything else they've gotten since (namely Marvel, but the Fox deal that went through too)?
    I'd like to believe they wouldn't just wipe out the CoX setting and reskin everything with the Marvel IP, there's a lot of lore that would be lost that way (and a ton of work rewriting all the missions). But, we were already playing with parallel dimensions at the end game for CoH, wouldn't be too hard to come up with a justification for Task Force 616 where we wind up in Marvel Land for a few missions, then have NPC Avengers show up in the CoX setting for a bit.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Can we take a moment to consider how this game might have been if Disney had purchased it, and continued buying up everything else they've gotten since (namely Marvel, but the Fox deal that went through too)?
    I'd like to believe they wouldn't just wipe out the CoX setting and reskin everything with the Marvel IP, there's a lot of lore that would be lost that way (and a ton of work rewriting all the missions). But, we were already playing with parallel dimensions at the end game for CoH, wouldn't be too hard to come up with a justification for Task Force 616 where we wind up in Marvel Land for a few missions, then have NPC Avengers show up in the CoX setting for a bit.

You know how they did the Going Rogue expansion, adding the praetorian dimension and the ability to start out there? Just that, but in a Marvel 'verse, bolted onto all the other CoH/V content that already existed.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Man, Going Rogue was so fucking cool. Being able to change factions was awesome. Even if some of those choices were a little extreme.

I seem to remember that the Vigilante-> Villain decisions were pretty ... mean. Way more mean, in fact, than most full fledged villain stuff.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Surprisingly not that great either.

According to Marvel's own site they got about 5 mobile titles. DC has about 4, one of which is just the mobile version of the Telltale Batman game.

edit- Mind you I'm not bemoaning the lack of cash grab games, it's just like, the most blatantly obvious thing in the world to be doing right now and nobody is really doing it. And that is weird.

edit 2- Oh also I'm not necessarily referring to just Marvel/DC licensed superhero games either. Just superhero (licensed or original) themed games in general.

I agree it's weird there aren't more, but you're forgetting things like Infamous, Saints Row 4, and Overwatch.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Man, Going Rogue was so fucking cool. Being able to change factions was awesome. Even if some of those choices were a little extreme.

I seem to remember that the Vigilante-> Villain decisions were pretty ... mean. Way more mean, in fact, than most full fledged villain stuff.

It turns out no matter how good your intentions, valuing Ideology over human life always means you're killing somebody

I really really liked the "None of these choices are good" writing that made Praetorian Earth just work. The more committed to whichever cause you chose, the worse things became, because the other side was always "the enemy" and would thus always be a greater danger to the world than you. In the end when Tyrant confronts you, he doesn't even need to say "We're not so different" because you know, and he's not even there to gloat - just to show that he knows that you know. I loved Going Rogue even as I felt queasy about the decisions I was making, and that's pretty great.

Of course, none of that would work without the more black and white morality from the base game to compare to, but I'm glad we got to make that comparison.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I really really liked the "None of these choices are good" writing that made Praetorian Earth just work. The more committed to whichever cause you chose, the worse things became, because the other side was always "the enemy" and would thus always be a greater danger to the world than you. In the end when Tyrant confronts you, he doesn't even need to say "We're not so different" because you know, and he's not even there to gloat - just to show that he knows that you know. I loved Going Rogue even as I felt queasy about the decisions I was making, and that's pretty great.
    I was just posting here to chat and now I feel upset I can't play those arcs all over again. Maaaaaaaan...

• Options

It turns out no matter how good your intentions, valuing Ideology over human life always means you're killing somebody

Of course, none of that would work without the more black and white morality from the base game to compare to, but I'm glad we got to make that comparison.

Kind of depressed that I never made it far enough in Going Rogue to see that content. The call of the alts was too strong for me.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Going Rogue was when I finally took a hard dive at the game. Prior to that I was poking it once in a while. I really got on board late with CoX.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Kind of depressed that I never made it far enough in Going Rogue to see that content. The call of the alts was too strong for me.

Please tell me you at least got to the main game's Clone Sagas on Blue and Red side?

Oh man, was the Villain clone saga hilarious if you had the right setup. My Plants/Storm controller had a particularly hard time of it.

"We made eight super powered clones just like you asked!"

"YES! MAXIMUM POWER!"

"They uh, they all want to fight you."

"OF COURSE THEY DO! I SHALL DESTROY THEM MYSELF!"

"They said you'd say that. Right this way..."

*immediately hit with 8 stacks of Seeds of Confusion, Vines, Tornado, and Thunder Storm*

"MY HUBRIS!!!!!!"

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

Please tell me you at least got to the main game's Clone Sagas on Blue and Red side?

Oh man, was the Villain clone saga hilarious if you had the right setup. My Plants/Storm controller had a particularly hard time of it.

"We made eight super powered clones just like you asked!"
    "YES! MAXIMUM POWER!"
    "They uh, they all want to fight you."
    "OF COURSE THEY DO! I SHALL DESTROY THEM MYSELF!"
    "They said you'd say that. Right this way..."
    *immediately hit with 8 stacks of Seeds of Confusion, Vines, Tornado, and Thunder Storm*
    "MY HUBRIS!!!!!!"

I feel like I remember getting cloned, but not the specific details of the mission chain.
    But then, I generally played controllers and defenders hero side, so running solo there wasn't really my forte (except for my Fire/Kin, they were monsters even after the Imp nerf). And running my MM or Dom was always more fun in a group.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I remember the clone dogpile making me feel like kind of an asshole, because all my fresh little duplicate Electric Brutes came dashing out to challenge their mama, but none of them had perma-hasten from IOs, so it was pretty much a slaughter.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    A friend, who I met in CoX and have kept up with since, linked this to me today. It's not about our game, and yet, it is.
    Go read it. Have a tissue handy.

• Options
    A friend, who I met in CoX and have kept up with since, linked this to me today. It's not about our game, and yet, it is.

well fuck you weren't kidding

• Options
    Fucking hell that reminded me of a thing from Agents of SHIELD. I won't go into the details aside from saying it's similar. D:D:D:

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    As we are pouring salt on wounds.

I remember playing through and occasionally seeing this strange class with my first character. What’s that strange light in the sky?

Then I unlocked my Peacebringer and got my squid on. My friend unlocked around at the same time and flying around squidding around the place and avoiding void hunters.

I thought that was a really cool thing that after all the hours I spent in that MMO. Not that I needed a excuse to create another character as I couldn’t stop creating.

• Options
    Ah, Peacebringers.

Or as I knew them, those damn squids that kept farting up the framerate whenever I was stuck indoors with one.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    mm, CoH....

I still remember being part of the first Hamidon kill on the live servers since I was running with some of the FoH forum people from Everquest at the time. We snaked it before one of the Beta guilds was able to do it which.....did not make them happy.

I can't say the raid itself was very good, design wise, but, it died...!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Oh, it was absolutely terrible (I'm told, I wasn't part of the raiding crowd back then). From everything I've heard, the devs didn't know how it was "supposed" to be done - they just created the raid, looked at the strategies that emerged, and then made changes based on whether or not they liked that approach.
    Remember, most of them had never made an MMO before. Things were, uh, different back in the early 2000s. That we eventually got the game we did was the result of a lot of work (some of it by dedicated players, providing feedback and even reverse-engineering the numbers the devs didn't want us to see and didn't fully understand themselves) and a fair amount of dumb luck.

There's a (modified) Scotty quote from Star Trek V that I've gotten a lot of use out of over the years (fondly, I swear):
    "This game was put t'gether by monkeys."

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The Hamidon raid was more interesting after they revamped it and added in the Villain version, but then when everyone started getting Incarnate powers it kind of became trivial.

I liked it better than the Rikti Mothership raid, anyway. That was just a slide show where I'd blast AoEs as often as possible and hope I was still standing near something they could hit.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I never got to run Hamidon, but I can personally attest to Rikti Mothership slideshow woes.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Omg I forgot about the secret squid stuff. I loved that shit. There are still days I really miss this game.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Well.
    I'm just going to link this, because I have no idea what my feelings are on this.
    There has been a secret CoH emulation server running for years. Or at least according to Massively and whatever the hell is going on.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    holy shit
    I have heard of SCORE a long time ago but I had no idea they actually had a working game, thought they were working on something like SEGS

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ... Does this mean I can play the game again?

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    ... Does this mean I can play the game again?

Do you know the secret handshake? No? Then no.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Do we need to make a dark sacrifice for this handshake because I can pick up a bucket of crispy chicken to appease the elder gods in like ten minutes?

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I'm not angry, but I am disappointed. It sucks for all of us who aren't part of the in-crowd, but they're doing the right thing trying to fly under the radar, and I'm not sure why someone felt the need to spoil it. But man, I wish NCSoft would just let this slide so they could go public with it.

I've still got the final patch's client installed on my PC, lol. Every time I'm low on space, I think about removing it, and then chicken out. Totally pointless, I know.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I think the real outrage in the community is how this reveal means that some very prominent community individuals have acted in very bad faith over the last 6 years. Especially the guy pointed out as the central figure behind SCORE. In order to protect their little private paradise he, and the people around him, have engaged in lies, smearcampaigns and extortion.

• Options
    I think the real outrage in the community is how this reveal means that some very prominent community individuals have acted in very bad faith over the last 6 years. Especially the guy pointed out as the central figure behind SCORE. In order to protect their little private paradise he, and the people around him, have engaged in lies, smearcampaigns and extortion.

Ah, that sucks then. There's keeping things secret, and then there's actively engaging in a cover-up using dirty tricks.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    There was literally a new class that wasn't finished in the main game, the Sentinel, which used Blaster/Corrupter ranged attacks and Melee DPS (Brute/Scrapper) Defenses, which was never possible before
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwzOTFCK7I

Every old character you made on Live was available, and you had 1000 character slots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI7e6I22Q38

There were new NPCs, including one that would let you buy the unlockable veteran's rewards and more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjyLxXFGIQ

Apparently there was even a cash shop that accepted server donations too, the entire Mission Architect system was available including every previously created mission, weekly Rikti Mothership, Hamidon, and Incarnate raids, and more. It's crazy!