Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Laptop Replacement/Suggestions Thread: Bring out yer dead laptops!

1242526272830»

• MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Shit. I completely forgot abuot Wirecutter; and they are normally my go-to.

For desktop users, the consensus tends to be to go with a 2060 and overclock it; or find a way to move to the 2080. For laptops, though, I'd argue that the 2070 hits a good sweet spot since users would generally not want to overclock their GPU to better control heat.

TLDR: pick the 2070 over the 1070.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    What’s the word on cheap laptop trackpads these days?

I’ve primarily stuck with MacBooks for various reasons, but I need something to essentially be a fancy word processor so I’m not looking to spend big bucks.

That said, the last time I had a Windows laptop the trackpad was a real piece of garbage, and I’d like to avoid that if possible. I know there’s been some improvement on that front, at least at the upper ends of the price range (Surface and Dell XPSs seem competitive with Macs), but has there been any progress for cheaper devices?

OneAngryPossum on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Not really from my experience. Pc trackpads are still hot garbage compared to a macbook.

Even my xps 13 is just adequate compared to my wife's mbpro.

For whatever it's worth, you can get the Apple trackpad as a peripheral and have both.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So if I were to buy a Chromebook, which one should I get?

Other than a Pixelbook, of course, since $1000 is a lot of money.

Touch screen is a must. 360 degree hinge would be nice.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 16
    I have the ASUS C302CA and it's been good. Swivel hinge, touchscreen with decent track pad. 64GB onboard and micro SD slot. Somewhat pricey for a Chromebook.

I mean you can play Neko Atsume and Exploding Kittens, so that's really all your need to know

Think there's a newer model out or coming out?

MichaelLC on
    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

Steam:MichaelLC
  • KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    edited May 10
    Hi thread. I'm considering picking up a new laptop. I have always used macbook pro's (current laptop is an early 2015 macbook pro), but have been increasingly unimpressed with the apple's value proposition on them. I have about $2000 to spend on a replacement computer, which would mostly used to do some data processing/programming (principally python), and then general web stuff and word processing type things.

I am looking for something with a good trackpad (honestly my favourite part of the macbook pro), about 13" screen, and a decent battery life. Anything which currently stands out? Oh, also will want linux on it. Dual-booting is a fine.

KetBra on
    ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Dell xps 13 line or macbook.

For all the shit I give Mac people, the laptops are top notch for "general use".

I have an xps 13 which I love though.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The Surface Laptops are probably too cheap for your price point, ironically, though they have excellent track pads and very good build quality, especially in "everyday use" areas. But they're designed to be economic, so at most you'll get an i7 with 512 GB at around $2,000. Dell or another company that's not Apple could probably give you more for that same amount.

Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 26
    Idly looking at laptop power banks. It'd probably be a fool's errand trying to find one that can actually power my Alienware machine when it's running (and no, I wasn't thinking gaming, obviously, but I'm still not sure what its power draw is when web browsing, writing etc), but I assume a decent power bank would still be fully capable of recharging the laptop when it's switched off, right?

Edit: hmm, one review says it should be drawing around 37W when idling. So technically it could run from a bank offering 60W, but any sudden spike in power draw could easily trip the bank's safety features, I'd assume. And that review unit had the same GPU and display as mine, so the G-sync's extra power demands due to the GPU always running should be factored in.

Jazz on
    What's the model number?

• JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 29
    Of the laptop? Alienware 17 R4.

A rather demanding beast, I know.

29/5 edit: I'll take the three days of *crickets* as "not on your life, you crazy bastard" :lol:

Jazz on