As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

Any tips for an avid RPG rulebook reader but actual first-time D&D player?

Don't be afraid to lay out what you want to do, and then ask "So what do I need to roll for that?" That will help you get into the mindset that you're playing a character and telling a story, not just piloting a bag of skill proficiencies. Doing awesome and out-of-the-box stuff is also a nice way to have fun and get Inspiration!

Depending on your GM, they might just for expediency's sake let you do simple enough stuff without bothering to roll if it's within reason and it keeps the game moving.

Example:
    DON'T say: "I'm going to roll Athletics to see if I can climb this wall."
    DO say: "I want to climb this wall. What's that, an Athletics roll? How about Acrobatics?"

Don't grill every NPC hoping to run out their dialogue trees. The PC games have a lot more patience than a real GM does in that regard. :D

Building off this and Glal's post, what you should be doing as a player is saying what your character wants to do and how they want to do it. That's it. The DM is there to tell you what to roll, you focus on your character's reaction to a situation, not your reaction to a game puzzle.

ALSO building off of this: go balls out into your playacting. don't worry about if it's good or bad or if you look silly. if you attack it with gusto and inject as much energy and enthusiasm into it your fellow players will get sucked into the vortex and the game will be epic!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Did manshoon in Dragon Heist. I defeated two of his goons by twin spell dominating them, making them take their equipment off and run into the nearest trap they knew of (that was messy but free stuff!)

We eventually arrive in manshoons bedchamber. The wizard stands, back to us, and begins a monologue. He sits on his canopy bed while talking.

"How big is this canopy bed"
    "Big"
    "Would you say huuuuge?"
    *Dm concerned face* yea
    "Subtle spell animate objects, I want the bed to eat him"

Dm says, okay, well treat this as an attack and grapple because of the size... rolls athletics for manshoon... Grimaces. Okay
    "Roll athletics for the bed and attack"
    Nat 19 then Nat 20 - 34 damage
    Manshoon - "So as you see, the black staff is... Wait whaMMFFMFM"

Defenses activate, manshoon is In a defensive Force bubble... With the bed... getting nommed on by his bed for 3 full turns before he can defeat it because we keep counterspelling his dispel

He got out some HURT on us with the meteor swarm after, but we won, and nobody will remember anything about him except being eaten by his bed

override367 on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    My god. You pulled a Death Bed The Bed that Eats on him.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2019
    After the battle I repaired the bed, animated it again, and took it with me

I got his robes of the archmage, I'm not evil but the dm decided that since my character's race is evil that's good enough

override367 on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tips! I have the feeling that my teammates are going to be the crazy ones and I'll be the put upon voice of reason of the group, but as a bard with cutting words I think I'll have ample opportunity to ham it up.

On the world building side of things, our DM said I'll be the first of my kind in his world, so I also feel I need to understand the implications of this.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I've been playing an Eberron campaign, and the hardest part has been in order 1)preventing the lizardfolk Barbarian from acting exactly how you would imagine and 2) not dying when we accidentally fell exactly into the trap the assassins were setting up.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Did manshoon in Dragon Heist. I defeated two of his goons by twin spell dominating them, making them take their equipment off and run into the nearest trap they knew of (that was messy but free stuff!)

We eventually arrive in manshoons bedchamber. The wizard stands, back to us, and begins a monologue. He sits on his canopy bed while talking.

"Big"
    "Would you say huuuuge?"
    *Dm concerned face* yea

Dm says, okay, well treat this as an attack and grapple because of the size... rolls athletics for manshoon... Grimaces. Okay

Defenses activate, manshoon is In a defensive Force bubble... With the bed... getting nommed on by his bed for 3 full turns before he can defeat it because we keep counterspelling his dispel

He got out some HURT on us with the meteor swarm after, but we won, and nobody will remember anything about him except being eaten by his bed
    So he meteor swarmed inside his own house? Just think what it's gonna do to the property value...

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I'm just shocked your party was 9th level in Dragon Heist.

edited April 2019
    Xagar wrote: »

"Big"
    "Would you say huuuuge?"
    *Dm concerned face* yea

So he meteor swarmed inside his own house? Just think what it's gonna do to the property value...

He had a glyph'd wall of force, so it only annihilated the part of the demi-plane outside of it (although his room was bigger after he cast it, and somewhat molten)
    Nealneal wrote: »
    I'm just shocked your party was 9th level in Dragon Heist.

I just hit 11 after killing Manshoon, we did a different homebrew campaign before Dragon Heist, things have had to be upleveled a bit but the DM was actually worried about TPKing us against such a powerful wizard (he should know better! even with his houserule that legendary resistance can be used to avoid a Counter-spell)

I death warded everyone with the majority of my spell slots before the battle so meteor swarm didn't KO anyone

the 3 orphans would have been incinerated if I hadn't sent them off to loot other rooms (I brought them for on the job adventurer training)

override367 on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I started listening to the OG Acquisitions Incorporated podcasts from back in 2008 again, on my quest to watch/consume/catch up on all of it. And all it's really done, more than anything else, is kickstart my desire to play D&D again.

I have a shelf full of 4th edition stuff that's been collecting dust for half a decade, I think it's time. Gonna ask around at work and see if I can scrounge up 4 people willing to commit 3 hours after work twice a month. That might be surprisingly difficult because being an adult really sucks sometimes

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Update to my comment from before. We will be continuing our Curse of Strahd characters and I thought the DM was saying we weren't allowed to take my bard's carriage and horses. Turns out he was worried we were trying to take the magical carriage from the NPCs in the game. Pshaw. That carriage wasn't all black with a giant goat skull on it, it wasn't nearly metal enough for me.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Re:

Traps and Puzzles.

I found a YouTube channel named WallyDM that is mostly about traps/puzzles in DnD. Some are very good and some are meh, but it was a good start. I do like the Prismatic Owl puzzle.

edited April 2019
    Xagar wrote: »

"Big"
    "Would you say huuuuge?"
    *Dm concerned face* yea

Like any wizard with beautiful hair, he lives in a demi-plane, a demi-plane i own now - okay well, I wanted the cool entry hall and sweet bedroom, the wizard wanted the library, the rest of the party was more concerned with the fact that I imprisoned the adorable lesbian halfling couple in one of the rooms until they can accept that Manshoon was a dick, but I correctly pointed out that waterdeep's laws don't extend beyond the prime material plane so keeping them locked up for a bit is better than either killing them or letting them go (they're super dangerous monks)

the kids claimed part of the demi plane as their own and we're using manshoon's clone room as a freezer for monster parts

I convinced the blackstaff to create a gateway to this demiplane somewhere more convenient than waterdeep's latest pile of smoldering debris that used to the entrance, we got a broom closet in the bar that goes to the demi-plane now

the children have started inviting other orphans to hang out on the property now that it spans two dimensions, and I let Nat keep a bag of gems she found in Manshoon's lair (despite arguments from the party) so they're the richest orphans in the world

override367 on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So my friends character so far has lost:
    His best friend
    His Son
    And his wife

All he has left is his half brother, who is also in the party. Yikes.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im in a party right now where I'm the eldest brother in my twenties, a hexblade paladin, another players character is my teenage brother rogue moon druid, another player is our 12 year old wizard sister. It's going to go poorly if any of us die. To add to it we have our half orc uncle and his adventuring buddy. We're all good characters so I could certainly see a fall from grace situation if there are player deaths.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited April 2019
    well shit my DMs are conspiring, my curse of strahd and waterdeep dragon heist characters are going to fall through a time hole and end up swapping, so saturday im going to be playing an overpowered fey creature in the domain of dread :lol:

I'm a sorcerer with spells sorcerers dont get like fabricate, I have plant growth and brewer's proficiency, I can just go to the vineyard and create a veritable ocean of wine if you give me a few hours. Meanwhile, my traumatized lawful good wizard will pop into Waterdeep and have precious salvation for oh so brief of a time, but at the same time seeking to return to Barovia to save the people there

https://ddb.ac/characters/11043174/8U3EI4

idk what my COS dm is thinking letting *that* into Barovia, but given how well she's fixed things that have gone off the rails (like accidentally killing strahd and abruptly ending the campaign) with narrative swerves that don't feel like ass-pulls, this should be amazing

override367 on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    So I completed my first campaign of DnD ever after watching a whole bunch on the youtubes.

I won't get into the details (it was 7 sessions after all) but it was certainly an interesting finish - our party ended up caught in the middle of a riot where the local guild leaders were trying to depose the (terrible) king of the (not very) fair city/land.

Right after hostilities began our party more or less split up - my Halfing Paladin ended up trying to hold the line of King's Guards back with our cleric, while our wizard got as far away as possible from the fight. Our rogue ran *behind* the line of guards and claimed fealty to the Captain of the guard, a scary Dragonkin lady. He then tried to stab her in the back, but failed to pen her 30 AC. Instead, the Wizard lucked out and Suggested that she sit this fight out instead of murdering us all. The rest of the mob/guards continued to escalate and the town was pretty much in chaos despite our best efforts.

All in all, we saved very few people, ran away from the mob/guards, discovered the king was already dead, and then caught the first boat out with a friendly face, who turned out to be behind most of the murdering. Whoops!

But hey, we hit level 4!

8R7BtLw.png
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    30 is a very high AC

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I will go and see if the only game store within a reasonable driving distance's D&D night is decent.

Honestly, one of the worst things about moving is having to leave behind your gaming group...

edited April 2019
    Abbalah wrote: »
    30 is a very high AC

yeah that's crazy, even a tarrasque has 25

a level 20 character with a +3 weapon only has a 25% chance to hit a 30, your average level 5-8 character would need a nat 20

override367 on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    30 is a very high AC

To me it sounded like the DM didn't want to deal with the rogue player's BS and made up the value in the spot.

Not that it's necessarily BS if all players AND the DM are up for a anything goes long of game. But that DM seems to have had a specific plot in mind and damn if some rogue is going to ruin it for him.

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    30 is a very high AC

To me it sounded like the DM didn't want to deal with the rogue player's BS and made up the value in the spot.

Not that it's necessarily BS if all players AND the DM are up for a anything goes long of game. But that DM seems to have had a specific plot in mind and damn if some rogue is going to ruin it for him.

A long time ago I was playing a rogue and the party was about to be arrested for some shit we didn't do. I said, well, I'm not having any of that, and I took off running.

Apparently it was of critical importance to the story that we be imprisoned, because my elven rogue in leather armor was run down on foot in a crowded City by a human guardsman in half plate.

I didn't last long in that group.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tomorrow I will go and see if the only game store within a reasonable driving distance's D&D night is decent.

Honestly, one of the worst things about moving is having to leave behind your gaming group...

I showed up at the stated time and waited around for 25 minutes before checking with the store runner, who texted one of the group and found out they had cancelled for today. So I guess I have to try again next week. :?

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I hear you. I’m moving in June, but I closed out my last game on a good note, so that brings a little satisfaction to me. I’m pretty excited to see what the RPG scene is like in Tokyo, and what playing with Japanese players is like.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I have yet to join any, but Lafayette here seems to be pretty good with games.

The game store that hasn't closed has games
    There is a tabletop pub that has games
    Barnes and Nobles has game nights
    The fucking library has DnD nights.

I should really check some of these out.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

what tabletop pub.
    also Louisiana?

Kadoken wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

what tabletop pub.
    also Louisiana?

Nah, Indiana.

Merlin's Beard

• FryFry Registered User regular
    What's up, Indianian! I moved away a while ago, but my parents still live in West Lafayette. I browsed through Tier One Games when I visited last Christmas, it seemed pretty good as far as game stores go. RIP The Game Preserve

I'll have to remember to check out Merlin's Beard if it still exists next time I am in the area.

Fry wrote: »
    What's up, Indianian! I moved away a while ago, but my parents still live in West Lafayette. I browsed through Tier One Games when I visited last Christmas, it seemed pretty good as far as game stores go. RIP The Game Preserve

I'll have to remember to check out Merlin's Beard if it still exists next time I am in the area.

Yeah, I got a lot of good stuff from the Preserve. That's where I used to buy my stuff, but admittedly I didn't get very often.

I actually went in there on whim to pick up some 5E books to play with my fiance, saw the closing sign on the door. The guy at the register was filling out applications when he rang me up, felt horrible.

Tier One isn't bad, but I don't really like their focus on miniatures (I'm not against those games, they just take a larger investment than I am willing to give).

edited April 2019
    My FLGS is actually kind of a Friendly Local Gigantic Store; their principle business is online sales and their retail location is almost an afterthought connected to their gigantic warehouse. It's Noble Knight Games, and their M.O. is to buy up people's collections at a discount. Consequently, they have really great prices on things; often equivalent to online prices (on new stuff) or better (on old stuff.)

As such, I was able to get a nearly mint (and entirely complete) copy of the 4e Essentials-style Dungeon Master's Kit, a thing that I have kind of always wanted but never wanted to pay $80-100 on eBay for. And I got it for $40. Hooray for Reavers of the Harkenwold and more printed maps! And a nice updated DMG too.

I did find four people at work who are definitely interested in trying out D&D, and three more who are potentially interested (or potentially available), so this might actually get off the ground! I am hyped.

Rius on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    My FLGS is actually kind of a Friendly Local Gigantic Store; their principle business is online sales and their retail location is almost an afterthought connected to their gigantic warehouse. It's Noble Knight Games, and their M.O. is to buy up people's collections at a discount.
    Consequently, they have really great prices on things; often equivalent to online prices.

As such, I was able to get a nearly mint (and entirely complete) copy of the 4e Essentials-style Dungeon Master's Kit, a thing that I have kind of always wanted but never wanted to pay $80-100 on eBay for. And I got it for $40. Hooray for Reavers of the Harkenwold and more printed maps! And a nice updated DMG too.

I did find four people at work who are definitely interested in trying out D&D, and three more who are potentially interested (or potentially available), so this might actually get off the ground! I am hyped.

Noble Knight is great. Been buying stuff from them for a while, and the fact they deal in tons of discontinued stock is a rarity in the industy.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I played a Lawful Good Oath of the Crown Paladin in a one-shot today. It was set in the Forgotten Realms, so after about three hours of research I decided that he was a member of the Order of the Silver Chalice, an organization devoted to the lesser goddess Siamorphe that once helped end a civil war in the kingdom of Tethyr.

He got killed by kobolds in the last encounter. Plus two of his three retainers were secretly Lawful Evil Asmodeus worshipers...

I'm also playing a conjurer wizard in another campaign and cannot wait to get Conjure Minor Elementals so I can summon a boatload of mephits.

Hexmage-PA on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Not to be the one to tell you how to play your character, but have you thought through what it means to continuously rely on summons? Turns are gonna take a fair amount more time as you have to position, track the health totals, and attack with your hordes. Going with only the 1 or 2 higher cr options might not accomplish exactly what you want but might be less of an attention hog.

From my experience anyway, with a ranger and a bard with summon undead. YMMV of course.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So as previously posted, our one-shot is next week. I know char creation is a "live and let live" kinda thing, but I'm concerned about our 10dex/10con duelist ranger. Although I heard we'll recompute our stats in front of the DM before starting, so maybe it's fixable?

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So as previously posted, our one-shot is next week. I know char creation is a "live and let live" kinda thing, but I'm concerned about our 10dex/10con duelist ranger. Although I heard we'll recompute our stats in front of the DM before starting, so maybe it's fixable?

If he's planning on fighting in melee then I think it's ok; he'll probably kick the bucket and have to reroll.
    If he's at the back (or the DM executes other melee combatants because "lol that ranger is useless") then I'd have a word with him.
    Getting killed because someone else is intentionally playing an incompetent buffoon is uncool.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    As a DM I vastly prefer letting you scale up the CR of upleveled summon spells than giving you more creatures

however I run fantasygrounds entirely for note taking, stat tracking, and to throw up things on the tv while I run and if someone summons a horde, they tell *me* what they want it to do and I let the program handle everything

evilthecat wrote: »
    If he's planning on fighting in melee then I think it's ok; he'll probably kick the bucket and have to reroll.
    If he's at the back (or the DM executes other melee combatants because "lol that ranger is useless") then I'd have a word with him.
    Getting killed because someone else is intentionally playing an incompetent buffoon is uncool.

She's going to be in the front, so that's likely. The only other melee dude is a human monk.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular

Not ideal, but if going medium / heavy armor and a Strength / Wisdom build it's probably "doable"? I'm not entirely sure what "duelist" means in this context.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    Duelist branch of the ranger fighting styles - One-handed weapon + empty off-hand gives a +2 to damage rolls.

The revised party list is as follows:

Tiefling Gunslinger - Spellshot - can add elemental/spells to bullets. DPS, probably
    Skeleton Bard - Undead, but can heal. Spells are primarily defensive/control. Mediocre in combat.
    Gnome Gunsmith - Artificer class from r/UnearthedArcana, "infuses" spells to trinkets for later use by anyone. Can't heal, but also has a few crowd control spells.
    Human Monk - frontliner A. Vanilla. Hopefully dependable.
    Halfling Ranger - Beastmaster (revised) ranger. Has a goat with 4HP. Update: Really wants to try High Str / Med Con. I am reasonably sure she will not be a murderhobo.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    A murderedhobo more like.

[edit] Our party's druid had CON 7 for a while. At level 6 her health was so low an average fireball damage roll would have downed her from full. Thankfully she took 1 more CON come level 8, so now she's only Fragile, not just Suicidal.

Glal on
This discussion has been closed.