As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I'd like to think the reason I am doing less good at Apex is because the worse players are dropping, or playing different characters means I am not learning, or I try new guns.....

But I think I am also just not making smart choices, and play less good in a party. I find I let myself drift from my teammates, and I still panic in small circles/last squads. We had a few matches last night that we lost because we weren't in a good position, but rather than moving early or playing it safe, we over extended. Or I tried to Mastiff someone on a roof, rather than backing off and forcing a more favorable engagement.

I think I am my own worst enemy when we get near the end, and despite playing more, I am not seeing an uptick in performance.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have definitely been getting too aggressive. I still tend to do well on kills and damage mostly, but my team is spending more and more of the game rezzing me.

What is this I don't even.
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Didn't play terribly much last night but managed to eke out a win with someone fairly new to the game on the team with some nice balanced contributions

https://youtu.be/xFGQ2CTbY7Y

Protip: if another team secures the supply ship ahead of you, hey maybe you don't want to continue challenging them

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am almost starting to understand Octane. One of the things I like about him is that I can actually almost kinda of keep up with my squadmates when I play him. I do still hit the stim when I wanted a heal bot, but I'm sure I'll eventually break myself of that.

I mean, I still play Lifeline when I can. But if I can't, I play Octane now.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Oh lawd this is the single best camouflage in anything ever.

First I was like “how did I not see that person standing there!?” Then I clipped it and watched it a few times. Draxx level camo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcwcpxIEzU

616610-1.png
    I lost a match last night in the final battle. One of my team got knocked in a building, and I responded by dropping two of the last enemies with Mastiff. I promptly shot them more to take them out of the picture. So we were 3v1, but with one of our team wounded, and another knocked.

So I tried to revive our knocked teammate, who had been our workhorse for the match so far. I expected our other teammate to heal, pursue, or at least keep an eye out for the last enemy, who I figured would try to reposition or get away from the closing ring as they were now in a 3v1. They…. Did not. And I was playing without sound. So while I tried to revive our fallen, the last enemy came down some stairs above us, and just wiped our team of 2 with very quick bullets.

I feel like if I hadn't tried to revive and instead used our team-mate as bait, I could have won the round with Mastiff. But my instincts are usually more defensive than aggressive, so instead of pursuing I tend to try and revive/heal/reposition. I need to remind myself regularly that you got to finish your current fight before recovering, especially at those last tense moments, because we basically gave the match away.

I find that I play way more reactively rather than actually plan/think in this game (think about moving in more, think about flanking positions, think about not looting everything that exists), and that gets us killed.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think there are some pretty common situations that you can have a basic plan for, which allows you to play reactively but still make good decisions. Stuff like "ok we're in a fight, call knocks as they happen so that everyone can keep track, prioritize finishing the fight over revives unless extreme circumstances arise" and "ok we're down to 5-10 squads and have been looting for a while, time to prioritize positioning and circle management over more looting, time to use care packages for bait as much as for their drops."

Also this is a little tiny point but it can be so, so helpful to call the class of the person you're fighting so that your squad has a prayer of figuring out when you're getting third partied. If you're fighting a Lifeline and a Bangalore, and your squad-mate is also fighting a Lifeline, and everyone's saying that, you might be able to quickly find a way to reposition to be in a better spot. It's way next-level and the coordination part is hard but just the basic "I'm engaging X" or "I just knocked X" can be surprisingly helpful.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Avoiding third parties is the biggest key to success imo

Getting shot in the butt is nearly impossible to survive. So if you can’t end a fight quickly try to put your back to the area the enemy is least likely to attack from

I had a team last night where we came upon two teams fighting on opposite sides of the river and I swear my teammates jumped down between them and started fighting both

Just... decided they wanted to be pincered i guess

So yeah. Don’t do that. We lost. I imagine both other teams turned for a second, shot at them, then resumed their fight

I eventually died later to another squad. I slammed my repositioning ping so hard when they jumped down

Nope! Please let’s go anywhere else!

616610-1.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Got my first win as Lifeline, and finished up the last of my achievements last night. In that game, our rando dropped after dying right away, so we looted and played it cool on the edge of the map. As the last two other teams started fighting, I kept pestering @Peen to drop his Zipline down and was like "You're crazy." But he eventually did and we won the 2v3 to finish, partly thanks to the weird circle ending.

https://youtu.be/MCtGwiLsg9M

Couple other random clips
    https://youtu.be/fhizPD4LpT4
    https://youtu.be/uYLC467Js6g

I've come around on the Havoc, but I'd still like a 30 round mag

Got my first win as Lifeline, and finished up the last of my achievements last night. In that game, our rando dropped after dying right away, so we looted and played it cool on the edge of the map. As the last two other teams started fighting, I kept pestering @Peen to drop his Zipline down and was like "You're crazy." But he eventually did and we won the 2v3 to finish, partly thanks to the weird circle ending.

https://youtu.be/MCtGwiLsg9M

Couple other random clips
    https://youtu.be/fhizPD4LpT4
    https://youtu.be/uYLC467Js6g

I've come around on the Havoc, but I'd still like a 30 round mag

Yay for win, boo I missed it

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Usually Jay's the one throwing the hare-brained ziplines into the middle of a fight, it was nice to at least get to pick where it went that time.

Also that clip features me getting killed like an idiot by a guy standing above me, which I swear never happens.

Had an excellent game earlier as Octane when no one was around. I hopped into a match, threw on some up tempo music, and played as aggro as I could the whole match.
    https://youtu.be/6VoHOqZl3yk
    Ended the game with 9 kills. Every chance I got, I hopped into combat and each time it seemed to work out, only ever backing off to heal. I think I play better the less I over think things, I'm usually worried about my position in relation to my team or where the enemy might be, rather than taking the initiative and pushing forward when you need to.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Does the Prowler with Select Fire automatically go back to Burst if you switch weapons or am I just dumb and not realize that I somehow switch it to burst before changing weapons? If it does it automatically it needs to stop doing that, the thing is bad enough already.

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    In my experience, it always remembers the fire mode when I switch weapons. Hemlok and Prowler are the only ones I really change fire modes on, but I've never had a problem with them. I expect it would reset the fire mode if you drop the weapon and pick it back up, though.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Same, never had it swap back on its own.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I think people are prioritizing kills, even single kills, over survival or winning, due to the way the season xp per-legend first-kill-of-the-day works. Which basically manifests as folks hot dropping and yoloing even more than in preseason.

But also because of that, I am not nearly as frustrated by this behavior as I used to be / maybe should be. I'll take my bonus and requeue. But it is still irksome.

I finally found the UI that shows you how much season XP you have earned and how close you are to the growing cap (which was 100k when I looked)
    • Lifeline is maxed out
    • Octane is at around ~20k
    • Mirage has ~10k
    • Pathfinder has ~3k
    • Gibralter has 200xp (obviously that was an accident)

Everyone else is at zero.

If I ever max out Octane I'll be satisfied. And obviously I need to play Lifeline slightly less than I do. But that's hard, because she's by far my favorite legend.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I really wish the game had a random hero button. I usually don't really know/care who I am going to be outside of when I'm playing with friends and try to compliment whoever they are choosing.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Stasis wrote: »
    In my experience, it always remembers the fire mode when I switch weapons. Hemlok and Prowler are the only ones I really change fire modes on, but I've never had a problem with them. I expect it would reset the fire mode if you drop the weapon and pick it back up, though.

Hmm... I have switched it from Primary to Secondary maybe that has the same effect as dropping it and picking it back up.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Played my first game in awhile the other night and ended it with 10 kills, six of those being solo squad wipes.

I sincerely doubt I'm ever going to rock it that hard again, but damn that was fun.

Really wish my teammates hadn't totally beefed it when it was down to us and one other squad.

edited April 2019
    https://kotaku.com/apex-legends-players-are-launching-themselves-all-over-1834058321

Beware of this exploit in the wild

Edit- looking into it, it's actually pretty time consuming to pull this off. You have to punch the lid around 60 times to launch really high.

Local H Jay on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Was reading over an older Reddit thread about cheaters and there's apparently a player with the most ironic name in the game: ReportsDontWork2.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/bdvs0i/111_patch_notes_patch_going_live_around_10am_pst/
    ... However, after looking at the data and player feedback, Gibraltar and Caustic only improved slightly with the hitbox adjustments.

We don’t believe that hit box and character kit tuning is sufficient to bring Gibraltar and Caustic in line with their smaller competitors. Starting with Patch 1.1.1, Gibraltar and Caustic will get a new perk added to their passive - Fortified, which reduces damage taken by 10%. Over the week or two following this change, we will be watching how they perform with this additional protection and aggressively tune it if they are still underpowered relative to their size. Our goal is to ensure both Legends are viable picks by the end of this process.

Additionally, we’re also making a few quality of life kit adjustments to ensure their marquee abilities are a more impactful part of their individual playstyles.
    Given the semi-auto and low damage nature of our current sniper suite, coupled with the general speed and evasiveness of many Legend kits, it already takes several challenging shots to down someone at range. Because of this difficult sniper environment, we’re also reducing general sniper weapon sway and hitting the DMR with a few targeted buffs to make it more viable to engage Legends at range.

Separately from the sniper category, we are nerfing the Spitfire a bit, but our goal is to still keep it strong, as it’s a rarer spawning weapon. The Wingman is receiving a few magazine size nerfs, so that it doesn’t dominate the stock gun vs. stock gun battle early on due to its super high damage per bullet. Lastly, the Havoc is getting some general ammo and charge beam buffs to bring it in line as a viable energy ammo AR that competes with the R-301 and Flatine/Hemlok. The end goal is that the Havoc pressures a player’s ability to find Energy ammo, but is less dependent on finding attachments, whereas the R-301 and Flatline/Hemlok have less ammo pressure, but a higher reliance on finding more attachments to achieve power.

Rius on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Oh shit son they actually did it
    ADJUSTMENTS TO GOLD WEAPON ATTACHMENTS:

Gold Havoc
    Now has Turbocharger
    Now has 1x-2x variable holo site (lol spelling)

Gold R301
    Now has 1x-2x variable holo site (lol spelling)

Gold Wingman
    Now has digital threat

Rius on
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    That's... gonna end up being about 5% by the time they get done balancing it? 10% is a lot depending upon how it gets applied to damage.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Secret best buff
    JUMP SHIP SPEED

Increased the speed of the ship by about 50%

We felt that the ship was moving a bit too slow after watching player behavior so we’re speeding it up so players that like to drop later in the flight path don’t have to wait so long.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    CAUSTIC:
    Fortified Passive Perk added: reduces damage taken by 10%
    Gas Damage per tick increased: 1 -> 4
    Ultimate Throw distance increased: 28 meters -> 33 meters

GIBRALTAR:
    Fortified Passive Perk added: reduces damage taken by 10%
    Gun Shield health increased: 50 -> 75

Overall some decent improvements.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Secret best buff
    JUMP SHIP SPEED

Increased the speed of the ship by about 50%

We felt that the ship was moving a bit too slow after watching player behavior so we’re speeding it up so players that like to drop later in the flight path don’t have to wait so long.

It's very faster.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Eerrrrrr... Wtf is a charge beam on the Havoc?!

Gah, no, don't nerf Spitfire? I just started playing around with that weapon recently and fell in love.

Ah well, I suppose it's on me that I spent too long obsessing over Peacekeepers and R301/R99 to overlook the beauty of the LMG.

Also the ship speed up is neat in theory, but means less uncontested ships late in the drop because people get impatient and just jump rather than waiting for a free ship.

All the rest of it sounds delightful, and I wanted an excuse to push more on Gibraltar since I think he's neato.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Those are some really good QoL improvements.

I really like playing Gibraltar but always feel like my ability to get wins has been held back. This should help some.

Plus I have a Legendary Skin for him and I am all about showing that off.
    Campy wrote: »

Its available when you equip the Selectfire Receiver hop-up.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Those are some really good QoL improvements.

I really like playing Gibraltar but always feel like my ability to get wins has been held back. This should help some.

Plus I have a Legendary Skin for him and I am all about showing that off.

Its available when you equip the Selectfire Receiver hop-up.

I'm level 34, how am I only just finding out about this >_<

• Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    Nifty.
    That's... gonna end up being about 5% by the time they get done balancing it? 10% is a lot depending upon how it gets applied to damage.

Let's see how it plays out first, 5% sounds to me a hilariously-weak pittance but 10% reduction (based on some napkin math) feels closer to an actual tangible buff to them. Remembering that the entire reason we're here is that they're at a massive opportunity cost "hole" to being picked against a Wraith or a Lifeline's hitbox.

The one thing I'll note is that while the buff sounds like a really cool approach to reclaiming their value, the thick lads would still seem to gain the lowest benefit against shotguns and light ammo bullet hoses, which were already (I suspect) their biggest issue. Landing all 11 pellets from a Peacekeeper against them now does 99 damage vs. 110, an EVA-8 full-body hit goes from 63->54. My suspicion is that close in fire-fights with Caustic and Gibraltar are still going to be a tough place for them, but they might yet at least survive long enough to use their buffed kits to fight back... 4x gas damage or a body shield that can now stop 6/7 consecutive R-301/R-99 shots.

I'm optimistic!

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

The attack it gets with a Select fire

Which I hate

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Also important!
    BATTLE PASS XP BONUS EVENT:

In honor of Thicc-boi buffs, we’re going to be running a bonus Battle Pass XP event. From approximately 10AM PST 4/16 through approximately 10AM PST 4/18, your first Top 5 of the day (your squad places 5th or better in a match) will grant you 1 full bonus Battle Pass Level (29,500 BPP), up to a max of level 110. You can earn this once per day.

We’ll also be finding other moments during the season to add Battle Pass XP bonuses, so stay tuned!
    I'm unclear on whether this is two or three days of bonuses.

edited April 2019
    Is that sniper buff already in? Because last night I had the first game I've ever had where my choice to run with a Longbow actually paid off. I figured I was just starting to be less bad at the game.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Having a once-per-day reward for an event lasting 48 hours is really bizarre.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm actually a bit concerned about the Havoc buff. 32 round mag is a LOT of spun-up fire time.
    I already liked the gun, but that could be enough of a buff to make it oppressive. I personally believe that a 28% increase in mag size might make the Havoc 100% stronger.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

For how short the window is, it feels like it could've been 1 bonus level per legend, either each day or for the event.
    If they do 1/legend/day, then it really encourages players to get in a lot of games with the new update to collect more data, which seems like it would've been good for them?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit concerned about the Havoc buff. 32 round mag is a LOT of spun-up fire time.
    I already liked the gun, but that could be enough of a buff to make it oppressive. I personally believe that a 28% increase in mag size might make the Havoc 100% stronger.

I'm happy because maybe you can actually down more than one person per clip. The Havoc is really fun to use but next to Devotion, which I can down a whole team on one clip, its hard to not swap for Dev when I see it (if I already have a Turbocharger)

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Zek wrote: »

For how short the window is, it feels like it could've been 1 bonus level per legend, either each day or for the event.
    If they do 1/legend/day, then it really encourages players to get in a lot of games with the new update to collect more data, which seems like it would've been good for them?

They are strangely stingy with BP progress, I think they're disproportionately worried about their hardcore players running out of progression. They care about that more than they care about the majority of players being able to reach 100. Even though the hardcore players will definitely hit 100 very early regardless.

Zek on