As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Returner

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Returner

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Absolutely wonderful

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Abbe.FariaAbbe.Faria Registered User regular
    Someone had to ride the STA didn't they?

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    That dagger was more useful than previously thought.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    See, THIS is why you need to bring Twisp.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    sawellssawells Registered User regular
    "I brought lunch."

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • Options
    mattawmattaw Registered User new member
    .... its dead but Tycho still needs the dagger after putting it on the table?

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    mattaw wrote: »

Sometimes they come back.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    ... sooo... good, then?

• Options
    So the joke is that Spokane is a weirdness magnet town? With wild boar ogres running around? Or just their old facilities (I'm not from the U.S. so call me ignorant).

• Options
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    So the joke is that Spokane is a weirdness magnet town? With wild boar ogres running around? Or just their old facilities (I'm not from the U.S. so call me ignorant).

More of a hellhole that spews evil at you

The joke is that people live there

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Spokane isn't really that bad. I mean I joke because I'm from there/have family there. But its a town in eastern washington which wants to be the south so bad people talk in a drawl and everything.

Riverfront is pretty nice in the summer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Spokane isn't really that bad. I mean I joke because I'm from there/have family there. But its a town in eastern washington which wants to be the south so bad people talk in a drawl and everything.

These two statements are contradicting each other.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I won't lie, I'm kind of curious to visit Spokane now.

• Options
    It isn't that bad is...fairly accurate, but so is "some" people wanting it to be the south or at least some who have conservative leanings (honestly I've become mostly nose blind to that from living here). What it REALLY wants to be is a "real" city, like Seattle but comes up rather short, they've made some improvements since been here but yeah their not making any top ten lists. Doing a deep dive of why it's bad or at least unremarkable would be a trip into the abyss that would probably result in ending up in a dark room with a cork board with strings connecting different reasons and aspects of what makes Spokane what it is while you feverishly try to explain it all through wide blood shot eyes. For some it's a place where dreams go to die.

• Options
    I mean at least Spokane isn't like Yakima or one of the tri cities.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So how is Spokane compared to, say, Scarytown?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    So how is Spokane compared to, say, Scarytown?

It depends when you go.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    So basically... Spokane is Tampa.

Got it.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    So basically... Spokane is Tampa.

Got it.

With less strip clubs, pro baseball teams, and people from florida.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Replace Florida with California, supposedly some people here hate those moving up here from California. Work on campus and we defiantly get a share of kids coming up from there that warn every year about what to expect when winter comes.

Never been but think one "strip club" we have I've heard barely even qualifies as one due to local laws, and the closet alternative is State Line which as name implies is on the Washington/Idaho border to get around the local laws.

I want to say we have a lot of trucks and SUVs that lend toward the wanting to be like the south idea, but experienced enough winters to know their practical for dealing with the annual snow and ice on the road...mostly, we still have those driving semi sized trucks for no reason, and those either from out of state or plain stupid who blaze down the icy highway at full speed in their 4x4 thinking it will save them when they hit ice and all four wheels lose traction.

Really probably one factor is it lacks a lot of things that make a city relevant or desirable beyond a handful of recreational spots in the surrounding area, handful being generous, and really nothing unique that can't be found elsewhere.

Riverfront park is nice, but also has what one could consider a symbol and microcosm of Spokane in the Pavilion. See Spokane did have a moment of relevance waaaaay back during the Worlds Fair (yes that worlds fair) and Riverfront park was the stage, and what amazing mark did the fair leave....a park...Riverfront Park is literally the sum total of Spokane's historic Worlds Fair experience. Besides the standard stuff we got a sky ride over the falls, a carousel, and the Pavilion. I capitalize the Pavilion because it was meant to be the "big" thing of the fair, a large tent like structure over an ice rink/fair grounds area beneath and it was for awhile....till the tent part caved in...and left what is one giant tent skeleton, area beneath is still used for ice rink/fair rides and an Imax but this skeleton for whatever reason is plastered on stuff like some source of pride when it failed it's purpose and the only reason it remains is it's too large to tear down and/or about the only thing that stands out in an otherwise unremarkable city.

But yes riverfront is nice as parks go otherwise (Big Red wagon is neat).

Abbe.Faria on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Abbe.Faria wrote: »
    Replace Florida with California, supposedly some people here hate those moving up here from California. Work on campus and we defiantly get a share of kids coming up from there that warn every year about what to expect when winter comes.

Never been but think one "strip club" we have I've heard barely even qualifies as one due to local laws, and the closet alternative is State Line which as name implies is on the Washington/Idaho border to get around the local laws.

I want to say we have a lot of trucks and SUVs that lend toward the wanting to be like the south idea, but experienced enough winters to know their practical for dealing with the annual snow and ice on the road...mostly, we still have those driving semi sized trucks for no reason, and those either from out of state or plain stupid who blaze down the icy highway at full speed in their 4x4 thinking it will save them when they hit ice and all four wheels lose traction.

Really probably one factor is it lacks a lot of things that make a city relevant or desirable beyond a handful of recreational spots in the surrounding area, handful being generous, and really nothing unique that can't be found elsewhere.

Riverfront park is nice, but also has what one could consider a symbol and microcosm of Spokane in the Pavilion. See Spokane did have a moment of relevance waaaaay back during the Worlds Fair (yes that worlds fair) and Riverfront park was the stage, and what amazing mark did the fair leave....a park...Riverfront Park is literally the sum total of Spokane's historic Worlds Fair experience. Besides the standard stuff we got a sky ride over the falls, a carousel, and the Pavilion. I capitalize the Pavilion because it was meant to be the "big" thing of the fair, a large tent like structure over an ice rink/fair grounds area beneath and it was for awhile....till the tent part caved in...and left what is one giant tent skeleton, area beneath is still used for ice rink/fair rides and an Imax but this skeleton for whatever reason is plastered on stuff like some source of pride when it failed it's purpose and the only reason it remains is it's too large to tear down and/or about the only thing that stands out in an otherwise unremarkable city.

But yes riverfront is nice as parks go otherwise (Big Red wagon is neat).

At least Knoxville got the Sunsphere from their Worlds Fair experience. And that one Simpsons episode. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    ZmK12N0.png

PHddW0TC6zC7gi_1_l.jpg

Huh.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Spokane is shitty, but it really is the normal every day shitty that you get from a town filled with mainly very old or very young people who are either set in their ways or set on causing mischief. There's also not a lot to do there, past maybe see a movie or go to the laser tag place (I mean, even Bumpers Golf and Games is gone now), and just overall it's got really hot summers, really cold winters with lots of snow, and crap-ass small town mentality in a large-ish city/suburbs area.

I can think of worse places, but I don't really think you just move to the first circle of hell, you have to be sent there.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I dunno, I have a friend who is looking to move from Portland to somewhere in Mississippi to follow her fiance (he hasn't actually proposed) if he gets a job there (he hasn't actually asked her to come)

Sometimes people just make bad choices

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    mattaw wrote: »

Sometimes they come back.

I know it's because of the camera pan but it does seem like the head is looking at them in panel 3.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Spokane is shitty, but it really is the normal every day shitty that you get from a town filled with mainly very old or very young people who are either set in their ways or set on causing mischief. There's also not a lot to do there, past maybe see a movie or go to the laser tag place (I mean, even Bumpers Golf and Games is gone now), and just overall it's got really hot summers, really cold winters with lots of snow, and crap-ass small town mentality in a large-ish city/suburbs area.

I can think of worse places, but I don't really think you just move to the first circle of hell, you have to be sent there.

This is pretty spot on.

The small town mentality is probably part of what has kept the city from moving forward beyond the slow pace I've seen, since "new" stuff seems to be few and far between and the one major downtown project in the last couple of decades was Riverpark Mall which while it has a nice theater is the very definition of a "rich persons mall" with it's stores, your better off going out of downtown to Northtown mall which is actually decent (has an actual comic book/gaming shop). There is also Merlin's downtown for comics and games, and Uncle's Games also is part of the tabletop community...your mileage will vary between the three of them.

Laser Tag is cool, also got Wild Walls climbing gym right next door to that with a towering climbing wall. Obviously it's "something" in the middle of not much else.

Course there is where I grew up for latter half of childhood....Cheney. If I described it in detail you'd think I was talking about Tatooine, if Spokane is the middle of nowhere then Cheney is beyond the outer rim.

Lol this thread has been kind of cathartic honestly.

Abbe.Faria on
  • Options
    I think "Spokane" is more of an idea. For a lot of us that grew up in a small town and then moved to a larger one (and liked it), "Spokane" is the place we left and never want to live again. It's the place we didn't fit in, while at the same time not realizing that there was a place where we could. "Spokane" can be a town, or junior high/high school, or our own body, or a relationship, or any combination of the previous.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    I think "Spokane" is more of an idea. For a lot of us that grew up in a small town and then moved to a larger one (and liked it), "Spokane" is the place we left and never want to live again. It's the place we didn't fit in, while at the same time not realizing that there was a place where we could. "Spokane" can be a town, or junior high/high school, or our own body, or a relationship, or any combination of the previous.

Yeah, they've mentioned this in the podcasts. It's the home you left and don't ever want to go back to, but occasionally have to sometimes, because of family/holiday stuff.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Train DodgerTrain Dodger Registered User regular
    I've been to Spokane a couple of times. One time, we toured a house that was for sale. This great big, four-story place. Could've sworn the place was literally haunted. Doors that would close themselves, and such. My sister got a weird fever and demanded that we leave.

When we went looking for a hotel to stay the night, we checked out one of the rooms... and there was a great big hole in the floor. Just, a hole. Like, you could see down into the room below. Like, a big hole. Like that scene from Underworld. Like a damn video game level.

Spokane does have a touch of the eldritch to it.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    That well huh?