As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Calgary feels like it will swing back hard to the UCP

Yeah we're going to fall back on old habits I think. Edmonton typically goes Liberal, and Calgary goes Conservative. Replace Liberal with NDP in this case. It's the rural ridings that are going to make up the difference this time.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Inability to get pipeline shit happening is why literally anyone else will be coming in.
    which is shortsighted and stupid.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Honestly, at this point I'm just fucking done with all of the pipeline talk.

In the long term it doesn't fucking matter, in the short term, whoever sits on the iron throne doesn't really decide whether they get built, anyways.

Also, the big export we're supposed to be all super excited about getting to market is slowly killing all of us anyways, so I don't really give a damn if it lets you buy another fucking F150

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Didn't you know there's a knob in the Premiere's office that allows them to set the price of oil? That seems to be the message that people believe.

steam_sig.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    So if the UCP does win tonight, how long until the coverage starts talking about how this is "Bad News For Trudeau (TM)"?

So if the UCP does win tonight, how long until the coverage starts talking about how this is "Bad News For Trudeau (TM)"?

That ship has already sailed

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If the UCP wins tonight, the coverage will start being about how this is "Bad News For Trudeau (TM)" 1 week ago.
    If the NDP wins tonight, the coverage will also start being about how this is "Bad News For Trudeau (TM)" 1 week ago.
    If, somehow and to everyone confusion, the PQ wins tonight, the coverage will also start being about how this is "Bad News For Trudeau (TM)" 1 week ago.

The only thing that will prevent the results from starting coverage about this being bad for Trudeau is some anti-causal meteorites hitting all news sources tonight.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I am totally onboard with Team Meteor. Humanity had a good run, time to give the mice and rats a crack at the planet!

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    There is legitimately a belief that the NDP and environmental protesters are being secretly bankrolled by the Rockefellers and it's to keep Albertan oil landlocked so the US can profit.

This conspiracy theory was propagated by an oil industry lobbyist, which of course could never mean she has ulterior motives and suggesting 'maybe don't listen to the lobbyist' is actually a smear campaign.

Living in Alberta is very exhausting sometimes.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    I just want to know how I can get a job as a liberal protest plant and NDP stooge for the rockefellers.
    It sounds like a sweet gig and apparently is good money.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I just want to know how I can get a job as a liberal protest plant and NDP stooge for the rockefellers.

You have to fill out an application at the basement of this pizza parlor in DC.

moniker wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »

You have to fill out an application at the basement of this pizza parlor in DC.

I know that place, thanks.

Early hours, but the news organizations are calling the Alberta election for the UCP.

Enjoy your public service cuts so that they can give tax cuts to people making over 250K a year, and to corporations!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    God the next n years are going to be insufferable

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited April 2019
    So can the left/center stop trying to appeal to the pro-pipeline crowd now?

TubularLuggage on
    I swear to god if Kenney actually holds a fucking referendum on fucking equalization payments I will lose my goddamn mind

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Like, look at this platform:

What is this dogshit

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I would hope that a referendum call is a sort of virtue-signalling for the Canadian right-wing.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    I mean, he may as well hold a referendum on whether Canada should annex Alaska, because the Province of Alberta has just as much say in the issue.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Nosf was warned for this.
    Wow, Alberta following in our footsteps and going full retard. Best of luck with that!

Bogart on
    I'm sure the media won't take something that was basically inevitable and insufferably go on about how it's part of a blue wave. No siree.

All right, PEI. No pressure, but it's all up to you now.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Alberta: let's pay young people less to make it crystal clear we think they aren't worth our time.

Fuck conservatives. Continue to hope for a heart attack for Kenny and Scheer every day.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Wow, Alberta following in our footsteps and going full retard. Best of luck with that!

yea... I am disappointed but not really surprised. Looks like my area is Calgary-Mountainview has a very slim NDP lead

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    In a brief detour that's less Ugh and more Huh?, a friend of mine just sent me this.
    Apparently the PEI PCs are using a picture of a Euro for donations on their site;
    2ibci06.jpg
    50eef8c9eab8ea5478000000-750.jpg
    Either some intern didn't check their stock photos too closely, or they know something we don't. :P

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

yea... I am disappointed but not really surprised. Looks like my area is Calgary-Mountainview has a very slim NDP lead

I'm in Calgary-Elbow, and if you'd tried to count votes based on number of signs on people's lawns, I'd have said 40-40-20 NDP-alberta party-UCP. Sadly that doesn't seem to be how the actual voting turned out, which either means people are voting UCP but don't want their neighbors to know, or that ndp/alberta party had a higher lawn sign budget.

(I was hoping Dave Khan would do better than it looks like he will -- I know him through friends from back before he was in law/politics, and while it's sadly unlikely that the Alberta Liberal party is going to win a lot of seats, I still had hopes he personally would come out well. Also, he is by far the most handsome party leader.

in a much more aesthetically pleasing version of the kenney-shakes-hands-with-himself comparison from earlier -- this is sort of uncanny)
    8R68Hdy.jpg?1Z9i0nH2.jpg

djmitchella on
    It's also worth remembering - there are literally 600k advance votes that will be counted starting tomorrow.

Not saying it's going to change much, but that's over a third of the total votes cast in this election.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    vsove wrote: »
    It's also worth remembering - there are literally 600k advance votes that will be counted starting tomorrow.

Not saying it's going to change much, but that's over a third of the total votes cast in this election.

From what I was reading it is only the ones that were cast outside of that persons riding that are counted tomorrow. Which according to news sources I read was about 223,000 votes. Might change some ridings we will see..
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5169461/alberta-election-vote-anywhere-ballot-counting/

"Of the record-breaking nearly 700,000 Albertans that cast advance ballots last week, more than 223,000 were cast at a polling station that was outside the voter’s riding, according to Elections Alberta. Officials won’t start counting those “vote anywhere” ballots until Wednesday afternoon, meaning final results aren’t expected until days later."

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2019

Wait, they aren't counting advance ballots yet?
    Edit: Beat

TubularLuggage on

Wait, they aren't counting advance ballots yet?

Looks like it's only those that were cast outside of the person's riding - which is about 223 000 (see darkmayo's post above).

Still a lot of votes, just closer to about 12% than 35%.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

What is this dogshit

WTF is "Turn Off The Taps To BC" legislation?

steam_sig.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

What is this dogshit

WTF is "Turn Off The Taps To BC" legislation?

iirc it is due to the BC gov'ts attempt to halt/delay the Trans Mountain pipeline. Kenney has threatened to cut off oil/gas shipments to BC.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, funny thing. Most of the petroleum supply for the BC market actually comes up from the refineries in Washington state. There's a little problem in that Alberta doesn't actually have much refining capacity. So, if they shut off the Kinder Morgan pipeline or the Pembina pipeline, it is pretty much cutting off their nose to spite their face since the oil just passes through on its way to markets elsewhere.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    An extreme-right petrochemical policy based on a complete misunderstanding of the situation?

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES

Caedwyr wrote: »
    So, funny thing. Most of the petroleum supply for the BC market actually comes up from the refineries in Washington state. There's a little problem in that Alberta doesn't actually have much refining capacity. So, if they shut off the Kinder Morgan pipeline or the Pembina pipeline, it is pretty much cutting off their nose to spite their face since the oil just passes through on its way to markets elsewhere.

It's just red meat to their base. Reality doesn't factor into it - they firmly believe that Notley just refuses to push the 'give Alberta jobs' button and that Kenney is going to push it.

They have four years to deliver on a bunch of promises they literally can't deliver on. As upset as I am by this result, at least Edmonton is orange.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    A few other big things to note with the AB election:

- Voter turnout up from 2015 ~4.5% (to 55)
    - combined vote totals as a percent for former Wildrose and PC parties closely match total UCP total (~51% in 2015 vs ~53% this year)
    - NDP vote totals as a percent went down roughly 10%, from 44 to 35%
    - Alberta Party went up from 2% to 10%

This province is less divided than ever... against progressive ideals. The NDP lost support, and the Alberta Party grew. The full conservative wing went nowhere, only consolidated their votes from 2 parties into 1.

It's disheartening to realize that progress wasn't being made in my home. I'm gonna have to find a way to unplug for a while.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

It's just red meat to their base. Reality doesn't factor into it - they firmly believe that Notley just refuses to push the 'give Alberta jobs' button and that Kenney is going to push it.

They have four years to deliver on a bunch of promises they literally can't deliver on. As upset as I am by this result, at least Edmonton is orange.

I understand different work demographics etc but it's just so bizarre to me how different Edmonton is to the rest of Alberta. We sadly knew the ucp were going to win but if anyone mentioned they were voting for them they'd be liable to be laughed out of the room. I'm still especially baffled at how they seemed to lock in the low income vote so well when all their policies are about fucking over social services... I don't even..

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Alberta :(

sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Diorinix wrote: »

- combined vote totals as a percent for former Wildrose and PC parties closely match total UCP total (~51% in 2015 vs ~53% this year)

This province is less divided than ever... against progressive ideals. The NDP lost support, and the Alberta Party grew. The full conservative wing went nowhere, only consolidated their votes from 2 parties into 1.

It's disheartening to realize that progress wasn't being made in my home. I'm gonna have to find a way to unplug for a while.

So sounds like some combination of the right coming out and the left staying home. Which doesn't seem that surprising.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Maybe if alberta had a pst/hst they wouldnt whine about equalization payments

I mean probably not but itd help their budget

icGJy2C.png
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Diorinix wrote: »

So sounds like some combination of the right coming out and the left staying home. Which doesn't seem that surprising.

Total turnout up. Conservative totals steady. NDP totals down by the same amount the centrist party went up.

I disagree with your analysis.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
This discussion has been closed.