As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I like how she gave you the correct number of limbs.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Did she cut off your nose to spite your face?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Every day is right leg day.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    n035py698uoa.jpg
    Her expression says it all.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah I selfishly enjoyed the snuggs when bean was sick a few weeks ago. He's not a cuddler at all.
    Janson wrote: »
    Sorry for confusion.

My high school has switched to block scheduling for senior year, so only 4-5 subjects a semester, but each class period was 90 minutes instead of the usual 45. So three missed days was considered equal to six days normal.

This still pisses me off. It's like the schools I've heard who give awards for perfect attendance. THIS IS HOW INFECTIOUS DISEASES SPREAD DUMBASSES!

Unless the student has missed so much school that it's affecting their grades, there should be no penalty for missed school.
    Yeah, Anya’s school gives paper certificates to well-performing students (for things like ‘taking responsibility’, not grades) but super cool metal medals for 100% attendance.

And parents are called in for a review after 8 excused absences.

Anya’s already up to 10 absences for illness alone...

This makes me livid

Kids get sick, kids need rest, life is unpredictable.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It’s so nice to be at the stage where the kids can be largely independent during the day. They don’t require us to wipe their butts or fetch snacks.

Niko played nicely in his room today (hurrah! Their rooms - the ones I spent the most money on decorating - are finally seeing use!) and Anya made herself a cucumber, carrot, cheese and orange salad (she did eat it, too, so...)

2019-04-13%2022.52.20.jpg

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If you have Netflix and you haven't run through "You vs. Wild" with your kids then you're missing out, it's a lot of fun.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This Kid.

I was feeling very sick yesterday, so sadly I had to miss out on our family swim day.
    Ellie was very sad about that, but then she took my hand and led me to my bedroom.
    She made me lay down, covered me with blankets and told me to get some rest so I would feel better.

Then, on her way home in the car, she told daddy that she wanted to check and make sure mommy was ok.
    And then fell asleep in her carseat.

She really does know how to make me feel good.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Earlier today I was in an ultrasound waiting room of a hospital.

There was a couple in their forties there along with a couple of kids in their early teens. It took me a second to realise that the parents were grandparents-to-be largely because they seemed to be so damn supportive. Well done those parents for defying stereotypes.

Also, bloody hell, that must be a stressful situation. I can barely deal with being a parent in my thirties. I was not equipped for that at 13/14.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Earlier today I was in an ultrasound waiting room of a hospital.

There was a couple in their forties there along with a couple of kids in their early teens. It took me a second to realise that the parents were grandparents-to-be largely because they seemed to be so damn supportive. Well done those parents for defying stereotypes.

Also, bloody hell, that must be a stressful situation. I can barely deal with being a parent in my thirties. I was not equipped for that at 13/14.

On the other hand, the kids are 18 by the time you are in your early 30s. :)

steam_sig.png
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My wife is just over 34 weeks pregnant so obviously has a big bump now but walking around you'd have thought people have never seen a pregnant lady before!

Everyone just stares at her,anyone else had the same experience?

Does anyone know how to access my kid's Settings menu? I don't want to change anything radical, just adjust the "Head shake while getting nose wiped" slider to off.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    My wife is just over 34 weeks pregnant so obviously has a big bump now but walking around you'd have thought people have never seen a pregnant lady before!

Everyone just stares at her,anyone else had the same experience?

Yeah, literally everyone. The staring isn't so bad but apparently being pregnant also gives every stranger the right to touch your lady's belly and boy did we have a problem with that. You can find polite ways to discourage it but c'mon man. C'mon.

We were lucky to avoid having strangers touching the wife's belly during both pregnancies. Like, who the fuck thinks that's an OK thing to do? At least ask for permission first...in fact, no, don't ask for permission. Just don't do it at all.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to access my kid's Settings menu? I don't want to change anything radical, just adjust the "Head shake while getting nose wiped" slider to off.

At 7 years of owning this thing I still can't figure out how to shut off the "crying and screaming while I comb her hair" setting.

My 11 year old model must have had an upgrade last year since it actually switched off that setting automatically.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    There are far too many settings I'd change with my models, so it's probably best I don't have access to the menu.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I raised my voice last night after asking the kids to lie down for the 10th time and Niko asked, ‘Mom, why are you so dramatic?’

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Both of these with a single event today, I'm quite proud :D

Milestone Reached: First 3-syllable single word said today!
    Parent Achievement Unlocked: Can say the word "dinosaur"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I fucking hate days when the little one naps at daycare. It is 9pm and we are on the verge of war to get her to sleep.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Whoever taught my kid how to open bandaid sleeves......

I don't know where I was going with this, but yeah.

So far it's only my not quite hurry thumb....

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    We were lucky to avoid having strangers touching the wife's belly during both pregnancies. Like, who the fuck thinks that's an OK thing to do? At least ask for permission first...in fact, no, don't ask for permission. Just don't do it at all.

A random stranger asked my wife once, and she just kind of paused and looked stunned. I jumped over and said, "You can touch mine" and stuck my gut out, because I think I'm hilarious. No one else did, but it worked. The stranger just walked away.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Figgy wrote: »

A random stranger asked my wife once, and she just kind of paused and looked stunned. I jumped over and said, "You can touch mine" and stuck my gut out, because I think I'm hilarious. No one else did, but it worked. The stranger just walked away.

I’d have done it! I’ve always wanted to rub the tummy of a dapper Chess piece.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Next time just be like "don't it's contagious"

Make somebody think twice

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Some stupid eighteen years old came all the way from Florida to menace the entire Colorado school system with threats to recreate Columbine. So now basically the whole Metro school system is out of school today (largest school outage since they were trying to curtail an epidemic), and I'm home with all three boys, trying not to think about this little sociopath wandering the foothills near my house with a shotgun she was legally able to obtain basically after she walked off the plane

mrpaku wrote: »
    Some stupid eighteen years old came all the way from Florida to menace the entire Colorado school system with threats to recreate Columbine. So now basically the whole Metro school system is out of school today (largest school outage since they were trying to curtail an epidemic), and I'm home with all three boys, trying not to think about this little sociopath wandering the foothills near my house with a shotgun she was legally able to obtain basically after she walked off the plane

Ah, that explains why my sister-in-law was posting that the schools in her town were closed today. What a jackass. I hope this girl gets caught and put away forever.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Yeah, the stupid little thing is eighteen, so on the one hand you want to look big picture and feel badly for her...but on the other, current hand, my ultra-progressive wife and I both agreed on "Chuck them in a deep deep hole light can't escape from and shovel dirt on top of them"

Eh, I'm never really a fan of "unatoneable crimes," especially when the culprit literally still has a developing and not-adult brain.

Steam profile
    I understand your viewpoint and appreciate the concerns for human rights and an appropriate view on developing human psychology completely, but today this is bringing up memories for me of sitting in my own high school on my own lockdown *twenty years ago*, and I'm feeling exhausted that there's possibly less options to confront this sort of thing head on now then there was then, and sympathetic to the culprit only in the sense that I really wish her "dumb teenage behavior" wasn't "another pile of dead people". I get the long term implications of unatonable crimes, but honestly I'm in too raw a place to do the intellectual heavy lifting right now

If you live in the area, she is no longer a threat. There's more news if you want to look it up, but she didn't end up going on a spree or anything scary like that, so rather than bring the thread down I just wanted to make sure all you with kids nearby could breath a bit more easily now.

Steam profile
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I remember people kept their kids home for like three days after that. There were a few threats but school was technically open. I remember being annoyed that a couple of my friends got to stay home and my mom was like "go to school." I said "but are you worried I'll get killed at school?" She said she'd take the risk. :P

So since only about half the class was in attendance and my English teacher had been scheduled for a week off ahead of time, we had sit in class and watch Schindler's List. For real. And I was like nope fuck that I'm going to go sit in the library. The sub tried to tell me I had to stay and I told her to write me the damn pass or I was going without it. In the end she wrote me the pass.

Like, I acknowledge that I was literally the only person in the class one might need to consider in exactly the same context, but under the circumstances when other kids were staying home over fears of a copycat shooting it seemed in especially poor taste. :P

I'd thrown as many different activities into this morning with everyone as I possibly could so that *I* wouldn't think about it, and so that the eldest hopefully wouldn't ask, so this was literally the first I'd heard about it. When I followed up with my wife, she gave me the rest of the story. Just...sorry for the whole situation. Thank you for the news, kime- now I can just go and actually enjoy my day at home with the boys, and wish we had a better approach to mental health or something in this country!

Sorry to bring down the thread this way. I think I'll try to post pictures of my little headcases later to make up for it, if the constant demands ever wear down a bit

I think it is a totally fair and even relevant thing to bring up in a parenting thread.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Ever so sadly this is the sort of sick shit we, increasingly, have to deal with as parents.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited April 2019
    My Little Man, My Middle Guy, and My Tiny Wonder

Edit: future location of pictures of my kids maybe if I can find a safe and appropriate venue to make it happen but not right now because all three have tried to make plays for my phone while doing this

mrpaku on
    Godspeed, @mrpaku !

And this is the place to bring up those fears. Where else are you going to find others who will empathize with them. We're here for you.

and Very glad that this didn't turn into a thing.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Last Thursday, I had a dentist appt at 3:00. I got a call from daycare at 10 telling me the baby had projectile vomited, but had no fever. My wife and I decided that I'd leave work a bit earlier than I was planning to check up on him. I got to daycare at 2:00, he seemed fine, so off to the dentist I went.

Now, this appointment was to have a cavity filled, which means Novocaine. I'm in the chair, I get the shot, and not two minutes later I get the call from daycare: 102 degree fever.

Shit.

So I just tell the dentist and the nurse, "Sorry guys, I gotta go". They understand, and the doctor makes a joke about great timing.

So now I've got the kid and I can't feel half of my face. I call the urgent care near us just to check in, and whoooops they're on lockdown. There's someone in the area threatening to fire a gun. I ask them what I should do, and they direct me to the next closest urgent care place in network, which is an hour away with traffic.

I spend the entire drive just trying not to accidentally chew through my cheek. We finally got there, and the boy is fine, but fuck me what an ordeal. I think we finally got home around 8:30 that night.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So my 4-year-old's bus driver has changed every few days over the past couple weeks. My wife being curious asked the new bus driver today what's going on.... nearby kid says "our old bus driver hit a student".

So what the fuck? Am I being unreasonable in saying parents of kids on that route should have been notified if it's being taken seriously enough that he is no longer employed there?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    I assume with their hand and not with the bus

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    So my 4-year-old's bus driver has changed every few days over the past couple weeks. My wife being curious asked the new bus driver today what's going on.... nearby kid says "our old bus driver hit a student".

So what the fuck? Am I being unreasonable in saying parents of kids on that route should have been notified if it's being taken seriously enough that he is no longer employed there?

No, you're not. The school district should absolutely have notified you.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.