As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    My iPhone SE is not handling the most recent update to 12 well. My touch is randomly locked up or produces extra touches or gibberish. Makes texting infuriating. Gonna reset the thing, but I was hoping others might be experiencing it (doesn't look like it, though). Might just be getting old - I have had it for a few years. Frustrating though - 12 was supposed to make my old phone better not unusable for intermittent periods. =P

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    My iPhone SE is not handling the most recent update to 12 well. My touch is randomly locked up or produces extra touches or gibberish. Makes texting infuriating. Gonna reset the thing, but I was hoping others might be experiencing it (doesn't look like it, though). Might just be getting old - I have had it for a few years. Frustrating though - 12 was supposed to make my old phone better not unusable for intermittent periods. =P

12 does perform better on the SE.

Cheaper third-part replacement screens do have a pretty hit-or-miss track record on major updates when apple changes the way they handle the display and digitizer signals for whatever reason and whoops it turns out that our quick and dirty recreation works great for what we know, but isn't actually a 1-to-1 on the processing end and so now I have no idea what to do with this new information!

"Sticky" and "Phantom" touches are fairly common presentations of this problem.

If your screen isn't the one the phone was built with, getting it replaced again (even with another cheap-o, so long as it is a newer cheap-o) will usually solve that problem.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Yep, I've no doubt it's just coincidence - it's just also infuriating. Everything is OEM on this. I think it just picked a crappy time to begin crapping the bed.

Merhaps this is just a bat signal to go find a Pixel 3.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Anyone have a dual SIM iPhone yet? Thinking about going that route for work since I have alot of areas where ATT sucks, or Verizon sucks.

Bigity on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I got an Apple Watch for christmas, and I'm liking it a lot so far. But, I'm surprised there isn't a way to look at the native Notes app on my iPhone. I'm not really looking to replace Notes on my phone with something else (the iCloud syncing and sharing of notes with family members are used too much to try and replace)... I guess I'm hoping for a way to sync my Notes notes with a new app that has Apple Watch support. Anyone know of such a thing?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man that thread title is so bittersweet

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Man that thread title is so bittersweet

Technically still true though.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Seems this spring Apple wants in on the credit card.
    Employees will begin testing the card soon and it will officially launch later in 2019, according to the report. The credit card will be paired with new iPhone features, designed to help Apple customers manage their finances.

The card will use Mastercard's network, the WSJ reported. Additionally, card users are expected about 2 percent in cash back on the majority of purchases, the report said, with possibly greater returns for purchases of Apple products.

That's a major step for Apple to take.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Getting iPhone XS tomorrow. Which case should I get? I usually get otterbox commuter but reviews seem to indicate possibly it not being a good fit for some reason this time.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Getting iPhone XS tomorrow. Which case should I get? I usually get otterbox commuter but reviews seem to indicate possibly it not being a good fit for some reason this time.

I really really really like Apple's leather cases. They don't add a ton of bulk, but are nice in the hand, add some grip, make it sit flat on the table, and do add a bit of drop protection. I also think they look pretty classy.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    My airpods were stolen about two months ago, and I held off on repurchasing until the new-ish model was released. Got them in today, and as has been reported elsewhere, they are almost functionally identical to the originals.

However!

1. The range and connection speed are improved, albeit slightly. This means I can leave my phone inside and still hear music on the porch, which has been a strange edge case of failure that I’m glad to see gone. It’s not nothing, but not a reason to upgrade at all.

2. Hey Siri doesn’t require a tap any more, and honestly I think this is a major upgrade for my use cases. I use headphones extremely often while cooking or otherwise occupying my hands with dirty work, and adjusting volume/quick measurement conversions are a pain in the ass. Now that’s not a problem. I’m listening to music, I say hey Siri how many tbsp in a 1/4 cup, music quiets, I get an answer, and music returns to previous volume. Tell Siri to raise or lower volume by X. Hands free, saves me a million hand washings and dryings, and it’s quicker than doing a web search. I’m not big on virtual assistants, and Siri is a pretty feeble one, but this is a massive improvement in usability.

3. Wireless charging is relatively new to me so I still find it delightful and a little magical, but it’s a crazy price to ask for such a minor improvement.

Overall, hard to justify as an upgrade for most people, but if your old pair is getting short on battery life/were taken, or you make frequent use of Siri (or would like to use Siri but it’s not seamless enough) it’s a real decent improvement.

Honestly I’m just happy to be fully wireless again. It’s such a privileged bullshit inconvenience, but having to plug a wire into my phone while I do chores results in a lot of stupid tangles and annoyances. Like the Apple Watch, you definitely don’t need it, there are plenty of alternatives to consider, but if you’re in the apple ecosystem the benefits are tangible.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Seems this spring Apple wants in on the credit card.
    Employees will begin testing the card soon and it will officially launch later in 2019, according to the report. The credit card will be paired with new iPhone features, designed to help Apple customers manage their finances.

The card will use Mastercard's network, the WSJ reported. Additionally, card users are expected about 2 percent in cash back on the majority of purchases, the report said, with possibly greater returns for purchases of Apple products.

That's a major step for Apple to take.

Not entirely surprising. Apple Pay Cash is already Venmo but without the weird social aspect to it.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So I'm thinking of trading in my iPhone 8plus to get something better, because I've got a bug up my ass and want something new. Should I upgrade to an X, and XS, or an Xr?

I should add that I would basically be paying for the new phone by trading in my old iPhone 8plus, so budget is a consideration and may take the XS out of the running.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My Xs is nearly perfect for what I wanted coming from a 7plus. The 7plus was just too big to be a comfortable one handed device but the Xs is right at the limit for me. Doesn’t hurt that the camera is a sweet upgrade and the Face ID system is very difficult to live without when I use an older device now.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking of trading in my iPhone 8plus to get something better, because I've got a bug up my ass and want something new. Should I upgrade to an X, and XS, or an Xr?

I should add that I would basically be paying for the new phone by trading in my old iPhone 8plus, so budget is a consideration and may take the XS out of the running.

8+ -> X isn't an upgrade at all beyond form factor + FaceID. Same CPU/etc. It's really hard to say you should upgrade if budget is a factor, since you'll be paying several hundred $ even after a trade-in.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Yeah, I ended up not upgrading in the end. I took a look at the options and the X wasn't actually available from my provider and upgrading my phone was going to make my phone bill unwieldy. There is also some insanely complicated email confirmation thingy that needs to be done with my provider because I get a 30% discount through my employer.

I'll just wait until my wife's phone is paid off next February and get a new phone then.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Yeah, I ended up not upgrading in the end. I took a look at the options and the X wasn't actually available from my provider and upgrading my phone was going to make my phone bill unwieldy. There is also some insanely complicated email confirmation thingy that needs to be done with my provider because I get a 30% discount through my employer.

I'll just wait until my wife's phone is paid off next February and get a new phone then.

There's not really any reason to upgrade beyond form factor. The form factor of the X and XS is near perfect for me and I actually regretted upgrading my X to the XS Max as the form factor is totally out despite me loving the Plus model form factor in the past.

The 8 Plus is awesome and well worth waiting until your upgrade due date.

However, if you do have a constant itch for a new device have you looked up at if the Apple upgrade program could save you money over the company discount?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    It's funny, I have an X for my personal phone and an 8s for my work phone (provided by the company). Side by side and turned off part of my brain goes "I wish my X had a screen that big" then the logical side goes "the X screen is actually bigger". Those damn bezels make the phone screen look huge when it's off.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Went from 6 to XR today.

Up until now I had been using some braided earphones, but for the next few weeks I'll be using the included apple earphones due to the lack of 3.5 earphone jack.

I knew ahead of time about this but thought I was prepared, as I had already bought a lightning to 3.5 jack adapter (horizontal bar design) months ago on a whim. The adapter does work, but not with the new case I bought due to the case's thickness preventing the connector from reaching the lighting port.

I could just buy the official cable adapter, but based on some reviews they apparently don't last long? So I'll wait for a new adapter in the mail instead.

Other than that I'm really liking this phone.

Seems more responsive than the 6, I can use siri without being plugged in, way more space than the 16gb I previously had, and the face recognition to unlock is really neat. My 6's fingerprint lock usually didn't work and made me enter my passcode, which could get annoying. Also bigger screen

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Unless something has really changed, the included apple earphones have a removable adapter?

50433.png?1708759015
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Unless something has really changed, the included apple earphones have a removable adapter?

Stopped it with the XS/Max and XR models

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Yeah I did check the box in case there was an adapter but no luck

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Sprang for a Series 4 Apple Watch today after a little over a year with a Series 1 model since they were on sale. Slight tinge of buyer's remorse so far as it's not immediately different, but I sprang for the cellular model and I'm excited to try out leaving my phone at home more often in the future.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited May 2019
    I think the Taptic Engine on my iPhone 8+ has had the biscuit. It's been dodgy the past few weeks but I think it's finally packed it in. It's also been having some issues with the lock screen controls where it'll get stuck on Music when I'm listening to a Podcast and as a result will start a new song rather than skip forward a bit when I double tap my AirPod.

All the more reason for an upgrade when Mrs. Facepunch's phone is paid off next February. Perhaps I'll be able to save up over the winter and just buy another phone outright like I did this one.

Edit: And now it seems to be working again?
    I did reset and restore it, but it didn’t start working again until just now.

Edit 2: Or not.

Descendant X on
    So the new iPad OS has my genuinely excited. I’ve been taking my iPad Pro to work as my working device for about 6 months now and iOS is so restrictive for productivity, I’m reduced to doing 1 job only.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So I guess iTunes is still going to exist for Windows, is that right?

It's weird, I know it's a bloated monster, and (heresy though it may be to admit in this thread) I switched to Android years ago, but I still use an old version of iTunes purely to organise my local music collection on my PC because I haven't found anything better at doing it.

And I'm so stuck on that old version that I still keep a copy of the installer backed up :lol:

Jazz on
    I hope I can still rip CDs and add them on my phone.

A lot of music/ost's I buy aren't available on the iTunes store in my region, so i have to import from overseas.

I also hope I can still store purchased songs installed as long as i want, as I don't have a lot of mobile data so no way in hell am I streaming.

This news along with Apple's $1k monitor "stand" has me very concerned about what they'll do in the future.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I sort of get why people are upset about the stand, but I also know they could have sold that monitor for six grand with the stand included and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I sort of get why people are upset about the stand, but I also know they could have sold that monitor for six grand with the stand included and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

honestly the part that seemed the most insulting to me was just that a VESA compatible mount for the stand was another $200 on top. I just can't even fathom how you could turn that into a $200 part.

• KPCKPC Registered User regular

honestly the part that seemed the most insulting to me was just that a VESA compatible mount for the stand was another $200 on top. I just can't even fathom how you could turn that into a $200 part.

Looks like the the display attaches to the stand magnetically, so the VESA mount contains the magnet as well. You would attach the mount to the VESA stand you do own and retain the ability to remove the display as easily as you would with the $1000 stand.

I bet 3rd parties will come out with cheaper options.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »

Looks like the the display attaches to the stand magnetically, so the VESA mount contains the magnet as well. You would attach the mount to the VESA stand you do own and retain the ability to remove the display as easily as you would with the $1000 stand.

I bet 3rd parties will come out with cheaper options.

My guess is they priced a competitor at around $6000 and wanted to undercut them

Here’s the other thing; are you going to buy a $5000 monitor in your life, ever? I know I’m not, so I can’t raise the energy to care that the stupid stand adds 20% to the price and I’m genuinely confused by the people who apparently can…

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Here’s the other thing; are you going to buy a $5000 monitor in your life, ever? I know I’m not, so I can’t raise the energy to care that the stupid stand adds 20% to the price and I’m genuinely confused by the people who apparently can…

You buy a $5K monitor so that you don't have to buy an $18K reference monitor. Seriously. HDR 4K reference displays run five figures, up to $40K or more.

If the new Mac Pro display really is HDR reference quality, it's going to dominate that market niche and sell A LOT.

• KPCKPC Registered User regular

Yeah these people don’t really care about the stand being $1000, they just want something new about Apple to bitch about. It’s been a mainstream thing since the iPhone became successful.

htm wrote: »

You buy a $5K monitor so that you don't have to buy an $18K reference monitor. Seriously. HDR 4K reference displays run five figures, up to $40K or more.

If the new Mac Pro display really is HDR reference quality, it's going to dominate that market niche and sell A LOT.

Also, for professionals in this capacity rarely buy a stand as they normally have it mounted to whatever workstation setup available, then change panels when upgrading. I would probably guess this was feedback they took from professionals.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    far be it from me to tell you not to spend $1000 on a monitor stand, I promise I won't even try to stop you

BahamutZERO.gif
    When your studio is charging 700 an hour for access to a colorist room you think you’d care about $1000 stand?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Mac Pro stuff is weird because it highlights commercial-grade tech at what tends to be more of a consumer event.

Disney does not care about $1000 stands.

YL9WnCY.png
    Anyway, the real issue with the stands as far as I’m concerned is that all the fuss means people completely glossed over the fact that the new Mac Pro has an optional rack-mount version of the case. New version of Mac Server inbound?

Doubtful Mac has long since given up on Server

The rackmount version is so people can setup render farms