As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It has ramps and extra cover around the carousel, already better than Canyon (I hate Canyon).

I like Canyon as long as I am trying to get UAV spotting challenges done, and my team is loaded up with LRMs. I like it better than Polar Highlands, at least.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I like it better than Polar, but it gets picked so damned often that I am far more sick of it. Like, Forest Colony is on my shit list, but at least it barely ever gets picked.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    No, I tried going back to the quiz page that generated the PC Gamer codes and it had been taken down

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    100% fartgas map. All day.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Canyon has clean lines which is always popular. Players dont seem to like a ton of undergrowth

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I finally fired up BATTLETECH for the first time post-patches.

Steam told me I last played in May 2018. Oof.

Who knew parenting could knock you off the wagon so hard?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I finally fired up BATTLETECH for the first time post-patches.

Steam told me I last played in May 2018. Oof.

Who knew parenting could knock you off the wagon so hard?

kd4c665l4qbg.png
    I know that pain. I'll get back to you one day, I swear.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well...

PGI done did it.

They gave us a Marauder with the proper dorsal gun mount:
    sn6d88thwlf9.jpg

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    That's gotta mean a lot of hill humping CT damage

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The funny part is that it technically counts as the right torso (since there are no CT or head weapon mounts on that particular variant). So that's one helluva side torso hitbox. Maybe put most of your primary weapons on the left side and leave the right as backup weapons...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I need Marauder 2 tips. somebody link me some good builds!

(yes, i'm very lazy)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I won't know if they're any good until after work hours...but I'm theorycrafting up some ideas.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Ehhhhh, not for me. I read Nellus Academy Incident by the same author, because I figured why not, I'm a bit of a fiction completionist. Everything about it felt patronizing, above and beyond the often pulpy, fantastical wish fulfillment of normal Battletech fiction. It wasn't so much the story beats as the overall tone. But I guess it's part of a new line of explicitly Young Adult Battletech fiction, so like I said, not for me. It won awards and shit, so I guess some people liked it though.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Ehhhhh, not for me. I read Nellus Academy Incident by the same author, because I figured why not, I'm a bit of a fiction completionist. Everything about it felt patronizing, above and beyond the often pulpy, fantastical wish fulfillment of normal Battletech fiction. It wasn't so much the story beats as the overall tone. But I guess it's part of a new line of explicitly Young Adult Battletech fiction, so like I said, not for me. It won awards and shit, so I guess some people liked it though.

Aw, that is too bad. I was hoping it would be good, but never heard of the Author or anything about this.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    But I guess it's part of a new line of explicitly Young Adult Battletech fiction, so like I said, not for me.

Ah, that would explain why those two look 15 in that cover art.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I won't know if they're any good until after work hours...but I'm theorycrafting up some ideas.

Based on my super-limited experience with builds:

4A- All the pulse Llas
    4HP- SRM boat
    5A- The 5M, but bigger, meaner and 2 more energy slots.
    6S- The BH2, but bigger, meaner and better at zombie.

4L and AL I have no clue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    But I guess it's part of a new line of explicitly Young Adult Battletech fiction, so like I said, not for me.

Ah, that would explain why those two look 15 in that cover art.

Yeah, and I feel weird having to say "explicitly Young Adult", because Battletech fiction I'm pretty sure always had an age range of 12 year old boy to adults young at heart. But it never seemed explicitly YA tropey? Like there was never the highschool cafeteria set up, or the new kid in school setup, or the discovering girls setup? There was never the almost anime harem style of "And here's the sporty one, and here's the nerdy one, and here's the goth one, and here's the..." etc. But I found Nellus Academy checking those boxes off.

I mean at the end of the day, a lot of kids die and a lot of military gear blows up, so Battletech! But you know...

• Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

4A- All the pulse Llas
    4HP- SRM boat

I'm only working on the -4A for now (because of that sweet, sweet 30% cbill bonus from having the S variant of that variant).

Here are the builds I'm eyeballing:

Trip-LPL and a stack of mediums
    Couple of HPPCs and a double-fisting of MPLs
    Replacing the HPPCs with ERPPCs
    And probably what's going to turn into the standard build (basically, the same loadout as the first one...just moving the LPLs to the torso)

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Sorry for the double posting...but I just thought of something that's just so incredibly pants-on-head silly that its gotta show up on a B33f video sooner or later:

The One-Punch Mech!

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Sorry for the double posting...but I just thought of something that's just so incredibly pants-on-head silly that its gotta show up on a B33f video sooner or later:

The One-Punch Mech!

I concur. Embrace the full Macross look!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I'd say that build is absurd, but the Archer 6W exists in-canon.

Fire all ze missiles rockets!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

It also still has 10 rockets fewer than the MAD-4H build that the PGI's 4HP is based off of.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Thanks, that reminds me that I still need to build that thing out with small MRMs to go full on missile spray.

I was looking and ended up disappointed that only one Phoenix Hawk has one missile slot. Boo.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    That awkward moment when you do over 800 damage and get 4 kills on your Timber Wolf, but you still lose because your team had more of the new toy assault on it than the other team.

Nobody on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Woo!

OaTEg4b.png
    h7B1TrE.png

vFkUu9i.png
    HWBe4he.png

:)

I do not know how you could get Legendary at over 720,000 career points. You'd need to have every move meticulously planned - like every system jump and every faction reputation point - for an 80-100 hour campaign. Daunting!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Woo!
    I do not know how you could get Legendary at over 720,000 career points. You'd need to have every move meticulously planned - like every system jump and every faction reputation point - for an 80-100 hour campaign. Daunting!

You were closer than you think.
    720,000 is the old v1.3 value, current Legendary requires "just" 640,000 points.

Kerensky rank is 760,000.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Woo!

720,000 is the old v1.3 value, current Legendary requires "just" 640,000 points.

Oh no, really?

Oof, so close.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Woo!

Oh no, really?

Oof, so close.

You maxed most everything so hard to say how much more you could have done. The only areas I see with room to improve are, and you may already know these tips:

Contracts: always take the highest difficulty you can handle for more points. And obviously the more total missions you can run the better.
    Experience: get all training pods and fill your barracks ASAP for the passive XP. Don't actually spend their XP and increase your maintenance costs unless you use them. Don't use your commander in missions, their XP doesn't count for points.
    C-bills: score only counts total income, not how much you currently have, so on the last day, sell all spare equipment except mechs (must keep 1 of each), buy everything in a store and sell it and repeat until you have 0 c-bills.
    Difficulty: use the lowest difficulty options. You don't get any bonuses for higher difficulty and virtually all settings reduce your ability to earn or retain points.

I don't believe it'd ever be worth it to try and visit all star systems. You'd need a minimum of 510 out of 1200 days just in travel time to do it and that assumes you reroute at every jump point and never let the game waste time traveling to the actual planets.

Similar with reputation, with the way that system works, you generally have to compromise or get lucky in too many other areas to actually max it out. Though being Honored with Pirates to get good missions in unaligned space and being Loathed by Steiner and Kurita since they have no territory to harm mission or store availability/costs will help.

And on top of everything, you're still at the mercy of the RNG. Luck can make all the difference between hitting those thresholds or not.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Foefaller wrote: »

4A- All the pulse Llas
    4HP- SRM boat

The 4L has ECM and a PPC heat scale bonus so a Dual Gauss/PPC build won't get punished as hard with an alpha
    MAD-4L

The AL has UAC Jam quirks, so you can run a Dual UAC10 build pretty well, which have the same DPS as about 3.5 UAC5's, something like:
    MAD-4L/AL

On the 4A I'd go full laser vomit, but I think Large Lasers outperform LPL these days:
    MAD-4A

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I got the MW5 standard preorder and redeemed the code, but no Marauder II showed up in my account... did I miss something?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Check your account for redemptions?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh finally, I'm out of a rut.

I did the lowest difficulty mission I could find, a 3-star in Weldry, and asked for pure C-bills. Avatar and pirate-waifu were wounded, all my mechs were damaged, reinforcements came, and we faced our first Orion, but now I have breathing room.

This would all be a lot easier if some system somewhere would sell me an LRM 15 so I can put my Trebuchet back in play, but apparently its mythical technology. Never mind Star League tech...

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Check your account for redemptions?

Under my 'redeem' tab, it has my preorder listed and checked off as redeemed. :/
    Im pretty sure i got the MC and jazz from it when i bought it back in january.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh finally, I'm out of a rut.

I did the lowest difficulty mission I could find, a 3-star in Weldry, and asked for pure C-bills. Avatar and pirate-waifu were wounded, all my mechs were damaged, reinforcements came, and we faced our first Orion, but now I have breathing room.

This would all be a lot easier if some system somewhere would sell me an LRM 15 so I can put my Trebuchet back in play, but apparently its mythical technology. Never mind Star League tech...

It really ticked me off my last play through how fickle stores could be. I gave up and tracked down the big list that tells you every system type and what it stocks as a result.

• Options
    So, back in the command pod, and I finished off Grave Robbing.

Lulz.
    I'm a little disappointed that the Atlas II didn't have a custom model or geometry, but commanding that lance was fun. Also, it surprised me how useful a team of MechWarriors with Multi-target were; I'm not sure if that holds up though once you have a custom lance that gets rid of the mixed weapon loads so many of the canon builds use.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My biggest complaint about that lance: nobody has tactics 9. So you have to just blast your way through.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Ran into a guy a couple of times tonight in MWO that was going off and hiding in a corner, or suiciding.

He was doing this in a Marauder II. Like...why?

• Options
    Guys

GUYS

The JK Variants mod includes an Atlas variant that has 6 (!!!!!!) missile mounts

There is enough tonnage on an Atlas to fit 6 SRM6++s and an AC20 with a useful amount of ammunition!

...granted, the thing runs hotter than a damned default Kintaro. With two double heatsinks and a 10% exchanger it still nets 41 heat per alpha strike

but

each alpha strike does 540 damage (I have one SRM6 that's the +2 damage variant instead of +4)

That is LUDICROUS.

• Options
    It's like the big brother version of the all-SRM and AC20 Highlander