As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    We got a landscaping estimate for fixing the grading on our lawns and seeding a micro-clover mix. IT'S HAPPENING.

If you don't mind, how much? My backyard has some horrifically weird sloping issues I'd love to get flattened out, and I want to redo the backyard into all clover.

Grading, seeding, and the cost of the seed is currently set to be $1200. Our lawn is 3800 sqft.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    house i offered on has been inspected

we put in a final offer asking for concessions based on the inspection

i think the offer is fair. but i can say it's a lot more fun and economical to bid on a house when you don't "need" it

being able to say "I am willing to walk away from this" is a very powerful bargaining tool, the final offer is about 18k below asking

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The fence is not quite as nice as I wanted it to be, but I got a good price for it and it's still pretty great (and miles ahead of the broken-down thing we had before). I can now, finally, start planting things near the fence without having to worry about workers tromping on things.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The squirrels really seem to be enjoying running along the top of it. So it has that going for it, too. It's now much easier for them to get to their home...inside the wall of the neighbor's house.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    One of my wishes has always been to build cat tunnels into the fence once we had a good one, @Strikor... but that would give them one more annoying hiding place at bedtime.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    seller refused to budge. contract terminated! back to the drawing board

• Options
    Ok so at long last I've mulched my strawberries:
    KbITB02.jpg

We also had a concord grape vine growing indoors for the last few months that I wasn't comfortable planting until we had a new fence. Here it is planted and mulched:
    zWayjTb.jpg

I had a Niagara (white) grape vine I bought last year, but I didn't mulch it and it didn't survive to this year, so the concord is it.

Here is my biggest peach so far this year, likely to be my first edible of the season:
    zi9KDYX.jpg

Also here's a view of just the new fence:
    NMH2cE1.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    metal posts on a wood fence

that is bitchin'

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Metal posts with a wood fence is good, like a sacrificial anode, it stops the wood from rusting.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Metal posts on wood fences is pretty much required in this part of the country if you want them to last a decade. Wood in the ground rots in no time at all, whether or not it's got a concrete footing. Dallas is all Great Plains to the horizon, but it's a damn jungle from the topsoil down.

That's a real good fence you got there! I like the stain color a lot.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I am all settled and in my new house.
    It is a good quiet street in a neighbourhood thst is pretty good.

House is mostly boxes right now.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I sharpened my lawn mower blade today with my new rotary tool. It seems balanced? I put it on a nail and it didn't egregiously tip one way or the other.

Last weekend I had a rough time taking down a five year old tree that was threatening to damage my fence. Home ownership is a PROCESS.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Home ownership is a PROCESS.

A process of acquiring new tools for each project, until you sit upon a glorious throne of tools! (I may be banned from going to Lowes/Home Depot by myself....)

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    house i offered on has been inspected

we put in a final offer asking for concessions based on the inspection

i think the offer is fair. but i can say it's a lot more fun and economical to bid on a house when you don't "need" it

being able to say "I am willing to walk away from this" is a very powerful bargaining tool, the final offer is about 18k below asking

Yeah, having a BATNA that isn't "oh I'm going to be homeless" is very helpful.

• Options
    Whelp, the cara cara orange tree was still available, so I ordered one. And a fig tree, too.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Our apple tree is blooming and it's possible that all of the grafts survived the first winter! Also, an unexpected bonus of the hybrid tree is different colored flowers! I'll post a better picture when it's more in bloom but I'm excited so you get this one for now.

x5XEebrl.jpg

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    You’re all making me want a fruit tree

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

Do eeet.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My parents have a fig tree, a lemon tree, a couple of apple trees, and a WHOLE LOT of night time animal visitors.
    Oh, and sometimes rotten fruit on the ground.

So, you know, good and bad.

• Options
    The trouble is our yard is so awkwardly shaped and also very shaded! The sunniest area is probably the front yard.

I’ve posted a fair amount in the plants thread, but Mori’s mom gave me a huckleberry and only after I planted it (where she suggested I plant it), I read that although it’ll likely grow well enough where it is, it probably won’t ever grow fruit worth eating because it requires more sun to grow good berries.

Also for the next couple of months at least my budget for the yard is nil. :( I already planted $150 worth of plants this month and I do have seeds from Mori’s mom, plus a lemon balm and she’s also promising us more offshoots in the future!

My next plan, when it’s a sunny day, is to map out a sun map of the yard so I can know exactly how much sun each area gets. It hasn’t been sunny when I’ve been home in a few weeks (these rainy weekends!) so I have to try and remember how much sun each area gets from memory. We also weren’t here in the summer.

• Options
    "Full sun" depends a LOT on what state you're in. In Texas, "full sun" means "better find a shady spot, because full sun will kill everything." And yes that applies to fruiting plants, too - my tomatoes die in full sun, but grow me plenty of fruit when I plant them next to the fence.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

We've got an apple tree, a pear tree, a fig tree, a mulberry tree and raspberry bushes.

It's great

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    "Full sun" depends a LOT on what state you're in. In Texas, "full sun" means "better find a shady spot, because full sun will kill everything." And yes that applies to fruiting plants, too - my tomatoes die in full sun, but grow me plenty of fruit when I plant them next to the fence.

Haha, true! It was a challenge finding plants that survived in California at times.

We’re in Washington now, so by shady I mean quite a lot of my yard sees extremely little sun.

• Options
    Ya'll this rain is cray.

CVohsBi.jpg

My next major project has definitely got to be making drainage work in my back yard. (luckily the front yard has drainage on lock).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Ha ha yeah it's like that in Australia too, we have some potted cacti that can't take full sun in the Summer time...

Cacti!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    and then over in Canberra we're all wrapping up the citrus trees in May in the hopes they'll survive winter.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Peas wrote: »

I missed this when you posted it and just watched it now. I love these kinds of videos, I wish I had the energy to do something like this. I do hope to grow a lot more of what I eat, but it's hard. The effect of this video was to cause me to plant more seeds in my peat starters than I was originally planning to, then to order a couple of packets of seeds for veggies I don't have seeds for yet (leeks and banana peppers).

Currently indoors I'm growing: grape tomatoes, borage, cabbage, lavender, zucchini, cucumber and spinach. The tomatoes are the only one actually germinated. Edit: And I just started some chickpeas and onions, too.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'd like to get back into gardening, but I grew up gardening in the desert. You planted stuff and watered it, and then you defended the surrounding square foot and you got food. In Oklahoma, you're up against a whole hostile ecosystem. The grass throws up creeping tentacles and weeds sneak in via underground rhizomes and there's some sort of rogue fucking tree root and if you manage to fight off the plants suddenly ten thousand ants are eating your squash blossoms.

A friend of mine does a ghetto-ass sort of raised garden made from sacks of topsoil on sawhorses. She just cuts them open, puts seeds in them, and grows her tomatoes three feet above all the hurly burly. I think I might try something like that this summer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Raised beds aren't too hard to set up! as long as you have a decent weed-resistant mat underneath they're fairly easy to maintain.

edit: last I looked you can get cheap flatpack corrugated or pressed timber beds for like, $40-$60 each.

tynic on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea we do raised beds and it's super easy. We run six 4'x4' beds and it takes about 15 minutes a week to keep care of them, beyond watering. We love it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FYI, if anyone else is interested in getting seeds, I just found this place and it not only has every seed I was looking for, it has a lot of rare varieties I've never heard of:

https://www.rareseeds.com/

Plus shipping is free, and this is the only place online so far I've found that does that.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    In Chicago, April snowstorms bring May...swarms?
    ay6r71hfuxn3.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    FYI, if anyone else is interested in getting seeds, I just found this place and it not only has every seed I was looking for, it has a lot of rare varieties I've never heard of:

https://www.rareseeds.com/

Plus shipping is free, and this is the only place online so far I've found that does that.

This place is the shit, to be honest:
    https://www.johnnyseeds.com

• Options
    Oh I've bought from johnny seeds before. They didn't have a lot of stuff that rare seeds does. Like I've been wanting to plant mullein forever, and rare seeds is the first place that actually had some seeds for it.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Lets say a metal screw fell down into the place where you put the lint catcher on my dryer.

How likely is my house to catch on fire?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Lets say a metal screw fell down into the place where you put the lint catcher on my dryer.

How likely is my house to catch on fire?

unlikely, that just vents to the exhaust

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Also buy one of these at Harbor Freight for like $4 and fish it out.

tz9vo2cxz0e9.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in the continuing genre of mixing erotica and real estate, we have this promo video from Down Under that looks more like it's promoting...something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ge_xoCJdZ0

Yeah, it's SFW...but looks like it's on the verge of becoming, well, not.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    to be fair that describes like 90% of our ads.

The ones that aren't just some guy shouting "Doors! Doors! Doors!", anyway.

This discussion has been closed.