As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Preacher as an HBO Series!!!

lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
HBO is bringing Ennis' Preacher to the small screen as a series with one hour long episodes! Holy Shit! How great is that news? Most HBO shows are amazing addictive stuff (see Oz, Wire, Sopranos, etc etc), so this has me giddy with anticipation.
Article wrote:
HBO has seen the light and is bringing "Preacher" to the small screen.

The pay cable network is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series. Mark Steven Johnson, the writer-director behind comic adaptations "Daredevil" and the upcoming "Ghost Rider," is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

"Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who reps the duo, also will serve as co-exec producer.

The series -- which developed a rabid fan base -- was known for tackling religious and political issues, its dark and violent sense of humor and its observations of American culture. It also was one of the series that helped define Vertigo, the adult-oriented line of comics from DC Comics.

There have been several attempts to bring the comic to the screen, whether big or small, but nothing stuck. A movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

The project reunites Johnson with Deutch; Johnson wrote "Grumpier Old Men," which Deutch directed. Deutch's directing credits include TV's "Gleason," the pilot for "Melrose Place" and the 1986 film "Pretty in Pink." He is repped by ICM.

While its a shame a Kevin Smith Preacher movie will never be made, Preacher will probably work best as a series on HBO. Its not tv, etc etc

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
lostwords on

• Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As much as I don't hate Daredevil, MSJ being attached is not the best sign. I'm waiting to see a cast for now, and I'm sure I'll give it a watch no matter what, at least for the first few eps.

Conditional_Axe on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm actually a little concerned about this - Preacher should be awesome, I just hope it's not received as a Carnivale wanna-be to critics because the material is a little similar.

Slagmire on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Daredevil eh?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    But its HBO. The gold to crap ratio is far greater than if this was being made into a movie or a network tv show. Actually giving Jesse and Cassidy and the others time to develop, making the violence something they can actually show, etc etc, these things are perfect for the format. If it was a movie, they'd probably slap a pg13 rating on it, cast a british dude as Jesse, make the Saint of Killers into an adrogynous angel type, and have him looking for his father instead of looking to kill God or some other abomination of a plot.

lostwords on
    edited November 2006
    I think Johnson can stay close to the source material, that's not my fear.

It's just that he's too much of a fanboy. He lacks perspective.

Conditional_Axe on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't think there's any way this could work as a movie. There's just way too much there.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    But its HBO. The gold to crap ratio is far greater than if this was being made into a movie or a network tv show. Actually giving Jesse and Cassidy and the others time to develop, making the violence something they can actually show, etc etc, these things are perfect for the format. If it was a movie, they'd probably slap a pg13 rating on it, cast a british dude as Jesse, make the Saint of Killers into an adrogynous angel type, and have him looking for his father instead of looking to kill God or some other abomination of a plot.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing - I'm wholeheartedly looking forward to it. Shit, some of the stuff HBO has been churning out for series has been pure gold recently.

Slagmire on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Slagmire wrote:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing - I'm wholeheartedly looking forward to it. Shit, some of the stuff HBO has been churning out for series has been pure gold recently.

Sorry, didn't want to sound like I was attacking you or nothing. I just have seriously high hopes for this. You are right though, the critics won't know what to do with it. I can see critics saying "Deadwood in present day?" and writing it off before giving it a chance. Maybe they can open the series with a big old 10 minute long graphic love scene between an angel and devil, that'll get them going.

lostwords on
    edited November 2006
    I'd be totally surprised if the Meatman made it into this show.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:

It's been a long time since I read Preacher - I cant even remember who Meatman is. But based on some of the stuff we've seen in Soprano's, Oz and the Wire, I cant imagine anything that HBO would censor, especially with Ennis on the staff.

Hensler on
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Manifest wrote:

It's been a long time since I read Preacher - I cant even remember who Meatman is. But based on some of the stuff we've seen in Soprano's, Oz and the Wire, I cant imagine anything that HBO would censor, especially with Ennis on the staff.

[spoiler:d4955afe46]The Meatman was a midget in the KKK who regularly fucked a woman made of meat inside his slaughterhouse.[/spoiler:d4955afe46]

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Manifest wrote:

[spoiler:47db861392]The Meatman was a midget in the KKK who regularly fucked a woman made of meat inside his slaughterhouse.[/spoiler:47db861392]
    I imagine we will see this, if not slightly bowdlerized.

Conditional_Axe on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ooooh riiight.

[spoiler:6180101248]I think they could get away with it. It's not like they ever have to show it, the implication is enough, which is all I thought they showed in the comics as well. I can't remember anything else about him that would be too much for HBO[/spoiler:6180101248]

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Give me one episode dealing with the Saint of Killers origin, family life & killing the devil, and I will die happy.
    Though I can totally understand them not getting into his past, which is still cool and I can live with as so long as we see see him take a tank with one bullet :)

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy.

projectmayhem on
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy. This makes me happy.

But seriously....how do you REALLY feel about this?

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I want to read it, I just can't afford to buy all the trades.

SkankPlaya on
    edited November 2006
    So who should play Jesse? I'm thinking Dave Coulier could nail it.

Hensler on
  • TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Skank, I'm with you man....I should probably read this one day. And Watchmen too. Oh, and I guess V for Vendetta? Sin City, too....

...There's it is: the only loser bigger than the one who doesn't read comic books is the one who wants to but doesn't make time. Spends all his time playing with his Wii and posting on forums.

TacoMan on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cyclops should play Jesse.

He was in the running for a movie version.

Bloods End on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Speaking of HBO and Carnivale, did they ever release a novel or anything online that gives us an actual ending instead of the biggest cliffhanger ever?

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Speaking of HBO and Carnivale, did they ever release a novel or anything online that gives us an actual ending instead of the biggest cliffhanger ever?

HBO is developing a mini-series right now to answer some of the Carnivale questions. Ratings on that are going to determine if Book II (seasons 3 and 4, set in 1940) gets made.

Hensler on
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

HBO is developing a mini-series right now to answer some of the Carnivale questions. Ratings on that are going to determine if Book II (seasons 3 and 4, set in 1940) gets made.

Awesome.

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Fuckin hell - so it's unofficially cancelled and it depends on a mini-series if it will continue? Almost feels like Spawn...

Slagmire on
    edited November 2006
    Slagmire wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Fuckin hell - so it's unofficially cancelled and it depends on a mini-series if it will continue? Almost feels like Spawn...

Unofficially cancelled and it depends on a miniseries is better than their previous decision of officially cancled.

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2006
    "Martian niggers Kenny."

Also, they did indeed show the Meatman in his full meaty glory in the last issue of the Salvation arc.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Must have blocked it from my mind. I should go rectify that.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2006
    Each issue could be an episode. The pacing is already perfect so there's no reason to fuck with it.
    Also, Sheriff Root is the greatest thing ever.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • aspaaspa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Warren Ellis won't reprint what Ennis said when emailing him for confirmation.

I can't tell if this is bad or not.

aspa on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I imagine we will see this, if not slightly bowdlerized.
    I love you for using this word.

Also, I am thrilled that Preacher is coming to HBO, the best of all possible homes for it. And JUST as I am buying a 42" HDTV.

naporeon on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This has to be awesome. I can't handle any other outcome.

DarkPrimus on
    edited December 2006
    Oh mans, Preacher is Hot shit. I just finished the 2nd trade. I'm gunna get more soon. oh mans.

SkankPlaya on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    "Martian niggers Kenny."

Also, they did indeed show the Meatman in his full meaty glory in the last issue of the Salvation arc.

i would have referred to it as 'showing him meatpacking'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Have they officially announced that Dave Coulier is Jesse yet?

Hensler on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Have they officially announced that Dave Coulier is Jesse yet?

No, John Stamos is Jesse. Dave Coulier was Joey.

(i'm sorry)

Royse on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    "Martian n*****s Kenny."

i would have referred to it as 'showing him meatpacking'

you two mods are banned

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2006
    keith you're under arrest for being a crybaby

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Jesse's back story was fucked up and awesome. I especially like how they jumped right into it. Do they go into Cassady's back story in similar fashion? Is it as fucked up and awesome? How much of his 90+ year life span do we get to see?

SkankPlaya on
    edited December 2006
    a little bit

i think you'll be happily surprised by the kind of guy cassidy has been throughout his life

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    keith you're under arrest for being a crybaby

maybe the three of us can share a cell

Garlic Bread on