As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I've downloaded the AC3 remaster, but I haven't jumped back in yet because there's still a bunch to do in Odyssey. And I remember liking a lot of what 3 was doing when it launched, but a lot of the missions were fucking awful. I think they might even have patched them when that game was fresh.

They did
    The big one was an incredibly frustrating foot chase in the final mission that was nearly impossible, but I think there were smaller patches not long after release as well

There's still a lot of jank in the remaster and I think too many of them relied on time and distance requirements that were too tight, and the optional full sync objectives are almost entirely bullshit, but it's not really impacting my enjoyment much

I realized last night I'm probably going to end up replaying all the other New World games after this one (Liberation, which I never actually played and am looking forward to, Black Flag and Rogue)

I think they all come together in a really interesting way to tell this saga of how nuts the Assassin-Templar War was over that hundred years or so
    I think it wasn't the actual mission itself, but the bonus objective. You were chasing Haytham through an extremely crowded area and the bonus objective was you couldn't touch anybody.

Different one
    you're chasing Charles Lee, and part of it is through a burning shipyard, and there's lines of soldiers who will knock you on your ass if you try to dodge them, and it was legitimately very difficult for people to complete

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    tyranny of king washington
    man remember when they brought back ziio in the dlc only to kill her again

PNk1Ml4.png
    the graphical changes in this remaster are bizarre. the outdoor environments look better, but the indoor environments and character models look worse. the new lighting system is technically better but looks worse than the old baked lighting.

PNk1Ml4.png
    Everyone is weirdly smooth

Everyone is weirdly smooth

it seems like it's straight up the 2012 models, but they were not designed to interact with the new lighting, which just puts too much light on their faces at all times.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I had the feeling I hadn't dealt with the weekly ship yet, but I don't have the quest for it anymore.

I pulled up a youtube video of the ship, and it claims to be the Piraeus. I definitely don't have a ship theme with that name.

Have you encountered this sort of issue, with the ship / quest disappearing? What, if any, resolution did you discover?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Holy shit

Fate of Atlantis is going buckwild

CYpGAPn.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    ...fuck, that looks cool

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That looks rad but it does make me wish that they just made a Greek mythology game unconnected to Assassin's Creed instead

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That looks rad but it does make me wish that they just made a Greek mythology game unconnected to Assassin's Creed instead

This is me while playing Black Flag

And now, in ultimate monkey paw fashion, they're kind of sort of doing that with Skull and Bones? But without any of the sword fighting, which is half of the pirate fantasy for me

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ubisoft is also going to donate 500k Euros to the reconstruction effort.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ubisoft is also going to donate 500k Euros to the reconstruction effort.

Okay I was bouncing between thinking this was a nice gesture and thinking it was a disgusting capitalization on a tragedy but I'ma lean towards nice gesture.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I kinda gave up on buying AC when they started putting out new games every year. Now, through giveaways and remakes, I'll have 3, Liberation, Unity, Origin and Odyssey to try and finish.

steam_sig.png
    You can skip Unity

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think Unity was the most disappointed I've been in a video game, it was a shitassed game and also a shitassed portrayal of the French Revolution, it killed the last mewling kitten of hope in my heart and my soul is dead forever

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'll put it at the back of my backlog, since it's free.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It got patched enough to actually work on PS4 some years ago

But the story is dumb and bad even for an assassin's creed game

It does the thing the games always do, in that it makes literally everything in history an assassin vs Templar thing, without letting you engage with the conflict enough for it to be satisfactory

I just finished Liberation
    It's fun enough - plays just like 3 - and it has some interesting ideas I wish it had more time to capitalize on, but it was a Vita side game, so I get why it maybe couldn't

I wish Aveline had turned up in more games

Unity is frustrating because it's not that far from at least playing well and having a really good map, but a few bizarre design decisions hold it back

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNP1xWAZUw

April update, adding a new Lost Tale of Greece where you play as Layla, unlocked after you do all of
    Pythagoras'
    quests. You have to finish it to start the Atlantis DLC, or you can get a free save from the main menu that gives you a level 55 character and starts you out right at the start of the DLC.
    Also Sphinx themed items are coming to the store.

I'm back up to Black Flag now, replaying it for the first time since launch, and god I love all this pirate shit so much

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    How can I work “tyro” into my everyday vocabulary

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm back up to Black Flag now, replaying it for the first time since launch, and god I love all this pirate shit so much

Every time I'm on the ship in Odyssey, I just think "Why didn't they just make a pirate game for this stuff, it's so much better in Black Flag?".

Which I guess they're actually doing now, so... that'll be interesting.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ubisoft would probably put naval combat in The Division if they could.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie...I would give it a go mainly to see a ship carefully close a car door

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    How can I work “tyro” into my everyday vocabulary

PFF_Tyro_Illust.png

I'm doing the prequel stuff for the Atlantis DLC
    It's digging right into the Isu and Kassandra's connection to Layla, and there's not a TON but it is interesting

I'm near the end, and there's a section where Layla has to dive into Deimos's mind to get some information and it's another instance of them using the dialogue choice mechanic in a unique way. Deimos is beating someone for information, and you have a timed conversation choice, where most of the options are aggressive...save for one, which is Layla going "fuck, no, I don't want to do this," and then it jumps you right back to the start, and makes you choose again. You can keep selecting "I don't want to," but it won't let you. And then, as Deimos continues to beat this man to death, it starts to alternate between Deimos and Layla delivering the hits. It's one of the more effective uses they've had of the Animus as a setting

If the pre-Atlantis stuff is any indicator at all of what they're doing for the actual Atlantis stuff, I'm really looking forward to it.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I can’t believe how good their post release content has been, even the free extra missions that don’t require the season pass have been fantastic

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Saw a random thing go by on Twitter that made me hyped for AC: Vikings:

I want the protagonist to be the most elegantly mannered, thoroughly bathed and braided viking who undermines the chastity of all the English wives. TBH, they should just continue on with Kassandra for that role. She'd be perfect for it.

htm on
    Prohass wrote: »
    I can’t believe how good their post release content has been, even the free extra missions that don’t require the season pass have been fantastic

I've liked all of the post-release stuff other than the Legacy of the First Blade stuff, which was...bad

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I found the legacy stuff average but enjoyable. It had its moments, but yeah it’s definitely been my least favourite of all the dlc between origins and odyssey so far. It also doesn’t fit well alongside your own family narrative, depending on how that turned out. Which is what happens when you have branching storyline’s I suppose

Also they added a bunch of new viewpoints around the world I think? Not sure when that happened

Prohass on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think the new viewpoints were with part 2 or 3 of First Blade, mostly to get you places to get back on the Adrestia from. If the Pharaoh dlc was anything to go by, AC can do some really literally fantastic environments and still work so I am looking forward to Atlantis a lot.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Today I learned there was a semi-legendary Viking stronghold on the Baltic Sea called Jomsborg, which was home to an order called the Jomsvikings, a pagan mercenary band who adhered to a strict code and in many ways anticipated the medieval knightly orders

If they aren't part of the Viking AC game, specifically as the local version of the Order of Ancients or immediate precursor to the Knights Templar, then they fucked up

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Played a few minutes of Elysium.
    very much in the mold of the Pharaohs dlc. Although that had Thebes and environs; this is solely Elysium.
    The very-cool-looking teleporters shown on the main screen (and in the previews) are much less interesting in practice, as in the two cases I noticed I could just climb up. This feels faster than the fade-to-white loading screen that pops up if I use a teleporter.

a loading tip informed me that I could knock out regular soldiers and 'liberate' them with alt. I tried this and it said I had recruited a rebel. Given that makes the third or so time I heard that word after starting the chapter, I'm thinking it's a thematically relevant.

the ship, mercenaries, and cultists screens are blank.

The general goal seems to weaken Persephone's control so you can gain access to Hades. I'm assuming that's part of the next chapter.

I haven't seen any message boards in the area, which bums me out a little. while it's fairly simple to switch back to Greece, and then quick-travel to a message board, I imagine that'll be a little tedious after a while.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Today I learned there was a semi-legendary Viking stronghold on the Baltic Sea called Jomsborg, which was home to an order called the Jomsvikings, a pagan mercenary band who adhered to a strict code and in many ways anticipated the medieval knightly orders

If they aren't part of the Viking AC game, specifically as the local version of the Order of Ancients or immediate precursor to the Knights Templar, then they fucked up

There's also the Varangian Guard, the Byzantine Emperor's personal Viking bodyguards, and the Thingmen armies of the early English and Russian kings.

steam_sig.png
    The new environment is gorgeous. I've spent a good chunk of my time in Elysium just taking pictures

Man I super want to play the new stuff but I hate the episodic release so much so I'm waiting for it all to be out

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm level 29 and I've been playing for 34 hours so there's a good chance it will all be out by the time I've finished the main game.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'd rather just play through it all at once so i'll wait. Glad it's good though.