As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acquisitions Incorporated Gets an Official D&D Sourcebook

TubeTube Registered User admin

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I haven't bought much core D&D product in a long time, like 15 years.

I think I want this. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    Okay, but what exactly is in the book? Adventures, monsters, classes, etc.?

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    When it was announced at last PAX I was sad I couldn't buy it yet.

Cant wait to check out all the cool jobs in there

• Options
    Just a note: if you subscribe to Club PA (patreon.com/clubPA) at the $10 tier you'll receive, in total

A $10 gift card for the PA store that you can apply to the purchase of the Acq Inc Book*
    The Green Flame Stained Glass pin pre order bonus
    Your first Club PA merch package (a lanyard and sticker set)
    Access to the complete Club PA content archive

So you know, a pretty good deal if you were planning on buying this anyway. Do it one the 1st for maximum value.

*yeah that's right we give you 10 dollars right back in store credit it's too good

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I actually didn't know about the store credit; I've just been throwing money at you guys blindly and getting pins, a mug, and a water bottle.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    store credit and a discount!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Already a CLub PA member, but the site did kick me a discount code for signing up for a newsletter :)

Book ordered, through the forum link, extra pin ordered as well :)

Been a while since I ran an Acq Inc style game, I'm looking forward to a proper set of rules!

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I suspect I'm going to preorder this, since I'm feeling the D&D bug again and/or I just want to have it because it's awesome. But I can't help but notice that Amazon is doing preorders for $38. How do they do that

Rius on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I suspect I'm going to preorder this, since I'm feeling the D&D bug again and/or I just want to have it because it's awesome. But I can't help but notice that Amazon is doing preorders for $38. How do they do that

They have ways of negotiating that other distributors lack

DNKjf44W4AAQQLI.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My GM has implied that he may be running D&D 5th ed at some point in the future, so that was enough incentive to pull the trigger

Ignoring the fact that I Skype in so he won't be able to borrow the book and it's therefore unlikely that he'll incorporate any of the stuff

Still, I wanted the DM screen for my own game (yay random tables) so it made sense to pre-order everything at once and soak the shipping costs a little bit

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

They buy books at normal price and sell at a very slight loss, betting on the fact that you'll buy something they make money on.

• Options
    Yeah they literally just undercut independent sellers even if it's not profitable because they want to drive them out of business or force them to go through Amazon. Business!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That kind of taking losses to destroy competition is illegal, isn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

No. Loss leaders are a common strategy among big sellers across all forms of retail, groceries and anything remotely similar. Even dissimilar industries - it's what Uber and Lyft do to undercut taxis.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What you're thinking of is price-fixing, and IANAL but I'm pretty sure that requires deliberate, planned coordination between multiple entities to occur.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

To a certain extent, it is in Australia.
    Our duopoly of supermarkets extended into petrol stations to grow further, and were using the profits from the supermarkets to undercut petrol prices.
    This was deemed illegal.

Online stores marketing many different things in different market sectors may well be doing similar schemes, and moving profit from a market they've cornered into undercutting other products.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah they literally just undercut independent sellers even if it's not profitable because they want to drive them out of business or force them to go through Amazon. Business!

Small book stores/LGSs need to offer more than books to stay competitive. Even if their prices were competitive, Amazon or whoever has a relatively infinite selection.

A lot of places think they can have some plywood shelves with MSRP books on it and call it a day, and they're going out of business. My last LGS had a nice play area they rented with couches, drink coolers, loaner games and more. The fact that they sold books was secondary.