As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    The white/blue looks more like the new time characters, Geras and Kronika to me rather than the cyber ninjas.
    There's kind of a mechanical look to her fingers, but she looks a lot less mechanical to me. Granted, it's been 20-30 years since Sektor and Cyrax, so I guess some advancement is to be expected.
    It would be really interesting if the Tekunin were somehow in league with Kronika’s agenda...It’s hard for me to sort out what kind of underlings a god really ‘needs’ to accomplish goals, but since the break from the Lin Kuei and the destruction of Sektor, they haven’t been on much past ‘make more robot ninja,’ which is a respectable idea in a Mortal Kombat game, but they really gotta want something to use their roboninja for.
    I think this is a reasonable guess at how the plot's going to go. We've seen Frost next to Kronika in the trailers, we've seen Scorpion and Sub-zero fighting the Tekunin without any of their leaders appearing. It'd fit if Sub's trying to take down Frost after she's taken over the Lin Kuei and allied with Kronika.
    oh god. OF COURSE Sub-Zero is going to feel obligated to rescue Frost.

My hope is that
    Frost isn’t pure evil, and she’s the one who ends up betraying Kronika at a crucial moment to save everyone. It would be a great way to turn a background character into a front and center one and give her some depth. I really don’t want her to just end up being another pure villain.
    Wasn't she a betrayer type kharacter in the old timeline? I vaguely recall her stabbing subzero in the back somehow.

Have any kharacters done a 180 personality wise in the new timeline? I'm not really counting Liu Kang or raiden. In both cases i think there were significant differences to influence their demeanors. Everyone else I think ended up on the same good guy/bad guy side
    Frost’s whole shtick originally was being Sub-Zero’s first apprentice of a ‘new’ Lin Kuei that wasn’t so garsh darn evil and spine-pully. Unfortunately, most of the time she was really just coveting his cryomancer powers, and trying to Sith him one way or another.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Those nipples are too real

• Options
    He has taunts as moves

These people know what they’re doing

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    It's funny when knocking a dude's head down his neck and out of his back is somewhat tame in comparison to other fatalities.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Is that a scar on shao Kahn's rib cage, his right side?

• Options
    Calling it now:
    Shao Kahn becomes a ruler again at the end of MK11. Maybe he even takes over the Netherrealm in a surprise upset, liberating it from Liu Kang. I’m basing this soley on him having fangs on his new helmet that remind me of the 11 in the new logo.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So that secret character...

And a surprise return of someone who I was pretty sure was canonically dead...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    There is no way that MK was going to
    shelve their bright red evil robot forever. I hold out hope that one day he might even get to be the big bad of a game.

• Options
    Re-viewing that Shao Kahn is trailer, it becomes really apparent that Shao and Kotal have been purposefully designed to reflect their natural rivalry, as big beefy ruler dudes with fancy armor and headgear. Very Fire and Ice.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Well there ya go, Switch footage. I'm not impressed but it's about what I expected from Switch.

https://youtu.be/OxcL2SCEsDA

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    The stars turn and a time presents itself: Odd choice showing it within a Switch, to shrink the view down even further. Clearly the lighting and textures are not at the same level, but I think the people who want MK on the go will be ok with this probably. Portable MK has always been a weird niche, to be fair.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I remember MK2 on Game Boy being very solid, and then being horrifically disappointed by MK4 on Game Boy Color.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    MK1 on the gameboy was absolute trash.

Not only did I play it a bunch, I got "good" enough to cheese the AI and beat it with every character, then would use the end credits code to unlock Goro and beat it again with him.

I think that ranks pretty high on the "mispent youth" scale.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    He has taunts as moves

It also looked like one of his fatal blows requires a succesful taunt, at least judging by how it plays out in the trailer. Which would be a good way to kind of make them useful.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    He has taunts as moves

It also looked like one of his fatal blows requires a succesful taunt, at least judging by how it plays out in the trailer. Which would be a good way to kind of make them useful.

I’m all for any game that rewards players for gearing their playstyle towards the way the character in question is supposed to be. It helps if the character is a larger-than-life dictator in a skull mask, of course-less subtlety involved.

• Options
    Good god above they went and did it

https://youtu.be/lQFZC6dzauM

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I need a fucking cigarette after that.

I definitely feel a need to run through IX and X's story modes before Tuesday and maybe even watch the original 1995 film, in all it's Christopher Lambert glory.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Use of that music again is delightful.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ it has Sheeva. I am so ridiculously hyped

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Hell yes. I'm glad they were able to use that music. I'd heard in the past NRS was not allowed to use anything from the movie for some stupid reason.

Also, pretty sure I saw Sheeva in that trailer? Hope she's not just an NPC. I'd be happy with her as DLC even.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Awwwwww yeeeeaaahhh, that is the good shit right there.

• Options
    There was a lawsuit regarding the film years back. Looking into it, it sounds like that was resolved in 2011, but I've heard people talk about how Boon and Co tended to be skittish about discussing that movie or that song, and I always assumed it was due to that lawsuit.

Rad they're embracing it whole heartedly now.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The producer of the movie, Lawrence Kasanoff, basically argued that he's the sole reason why Mortal Kombat is in any way a notable franchise and he should have the rights to it. This was around the time Midway was shutting down. He also claimed he was owed millions in unpaid royalties from the movies.

Most of his claims were dismissed. He ended up getting about $14k in unpaid royalties, but was also ordered to pay $25k in legal fees.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The producer of the movie, Lawrence Kasanoff, basically argued that he's the sole reason why Mortal Kombat is in any way a notable franchise and he should have the rights to it. This was around the time Midway was shutting down. He also claimed he was owed millions in unpaid royalties from the movies.

Most of his claims were dismissed. He ended up getting about $14k in unpaid royalties, but was also ordered to pay $25k in legal fees.

FINISH HIM

• Options
    I am so in on the premise of Sektor being the true fire-nemesis to Sub-Zero.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Hello Dear G+T Kombatants

the PA forums have a fighting game Discord that we use for discussion and matchmaking, which was born out of the SE++ fighting game thread

since this is probably the last major fighting game release of this console generation I thought I would just repost the link here

We have a pretty healthy PC crew who will probably be skirmishing weekly, but anyone is welcome

https://discord.gg/CKDYpuJ

• Options
    Probably helps that Netherrealm is doing real good by Warner Bros these days and WB lawyers are going to go to bat for them.

• Options
    The last few games NRS has done basically amounts to a movie and a game wrapped in one. I wonder if they would ever want to tackle just making a movie?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hello Dear G+T Kombatants

the PA forums have a fighting game Discord that we use for discussion and matchmaking, which was born out of the SE++ fighting game thread

since this is probably the last major fighting game release of this console generation I thought I would just repost the link here

We have a pretty healthy PC crew who will probably be skirmishing weekly, but anyone is welcome

https://discord.gg/CKDYpuJ

Even us dirty and unwashed Xbox heathens?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    The last few games NRS has done basically amounts to a movie and a game wrapped in one. I wonder if they would ever want to tackle just making a movie?

I just don’t know what the inside baseball would be. Being part of WB Interactive would probably help... I think? MK is a storied franchise with a long history at this point. It’s easy to just point and say, get James Gunn to do a GOTG treatment on it, but I think that’s the kind of strategic help they’d need to do it justice. Someone with the juice and leverage to respect the source material and also has a strong track record with creature effects, action sequences, and non-standard plot settings.

• Options

I just don’t know what the inside baseball would be. Being part of WB Interactive would probably help... I think? MK is a storied franchise with a long history at this point. It’s easy to just point and say, get James Gunn to do a GOTG treatment on it, but I think that’s the kind of strategic help they’d need to do it justice. Someone with the juice and leverage to respect the source material and also has a strong track record with creature effects, action sequences, and non-standard plot settings.

Now I'm sad this isn't actually happening.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Even if he was up for it, James Gunn isn't going to be available until like 2022.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I would much rather have a Game of Thrones style TV show set in the MK Universe.

Season 1 would start with the major characters arriving for the tournament, then episodes 2-9 would be character spotlights on the characters and their backstories (Liu Kang and the Shaolin monks, Sub-Zero and the Lin Kuei, etc. -- even show how Sub Zero and Scorpion's clans hate each other in their episodes).

Last episode of season 1 is everyone on the island getting ready and interacting. Last scene is the first fight and season 2 is the entire first tournament.

After that you can get into the newer characters and backstories (delve more into Outworld, tease the Netherrealm, etc.).

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I’m sure this discussion is happening. Like, in 2019, is it better to try to make a blockbuster action movie out of your franchise or try to sell it to a streaming service as a show? I wonder if their proximity to the DC superstructure limits their options.

• Options
    This game definitely seems like a big celebration of all things Mortal Kombat, evens the films. I'm curious if it'll have a definitive ending or if they'll set up another sequel. I don't think they'll do another MK game like this (The MK9/MKX style) so I wonder if MK12 wouldn't just be a straight up from scratch reboot (instead of the retelling that MK9 was). Like, rebuild the entire franchise from the ground up.

• Options
    There's a script out there for a new movie. The guy who directed Aquaman and F&F is tied to it as a producer but I think that's as far as it's gotten right now. I could see it developing into something considering the success of Deadpool has shown there's still an audience for ultraviolent cheese.

• Options
    I’m certain there are many, many Mortal Kombat scripts out there. Like, you could tell me there’s one John Milius has been trying to get made since 2001 and I would’ve even blink.

• Options
    This game definitely seems like a big celebration of all things Mortal Kombat, evens the films. I'm curious if it'll have a definitive ending or if they'll set up another sequel. I don't think they'll do another MK game like this (The MK9/MKX style) so I wonder if MK12 wouldn't just be a straight up from scratch reboot (instead of the retelling that MK9 was). Like, rebuild the entire franchise from the ground up.

Considering the villain is a timelord who wants to restart history, there's a good chance they have her win to give them that opening. I doubt the series will be done (Injustice has given them longer breathing room between MKs), but I'm interested to see where the series goes from here in terms of playstyle. I think it'd be awesome if the next MK game wasn't a fighting game but more of a modernized Shaolin Monks-style game. Boon seems like he's chomping at the bit to do something that isn't a fighter at this point, and I don't blame him.

• Options
    I’d just like to see them keep going.