As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    They are stingy period. 1300 coins for a fucking skin is madness.

(Apex event and Destiny event overlap annoys me, but I guess it is Apex for the next two nights)

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm ok with the levels taking a long time, but I'd like cheaper prices for cosmetics at the very least

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I thought the prices for the premium skins were all 1800 coins?

Which, like, charge half that and I'd still think it's too high for weapons.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm up to lvl 25 in the Battle Pass. Time to change my region to belgium so that I can get crafting materials instead of the loot box at level 26

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I was talking about the in-game currency for unlocking things, the crafting materials. The prices are far too high, especially considering the highest pay out of crafting mats is half of an Epic skin. I got one of those and have been stockpiling the mats, and I'm at 900 so still 300 away from a really nice skin. Seems silly.

I don't care about the micro trans prices since I probably won't buy one unless it's like, 5 bucks.

edited April 2019
    I was talking about the in-game currency for unlocking things, the crafting materials. The prices are far too high, especially considering the highest pay out of crafting mats is half of an Epic skin. I got one of those and have been stockpiling the mats, and I'm at 900 so still 300 away from a really nice skin. Seems silly.

I don't care about the micro trans prices since I probably won't buy one unless it's like, 5 bucks.

Yeah it's brutal how hard they are to accumulate considering the costs of things. That's why I'm changing regions to get some guaranteed (it's illegal to sell loot boxes there, so they switched some of the season pass rewards to materials). Better than having that legendary loot box turn into a p2020 skin

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    I'm guessing that exploit would not work on console which is annoying

edited April 2019
    I'm guessing that exploit would not work on console which is annoying

it does, you can do it through the EA website. The premium season pass loot boxes change to metals.
    Level 26: 250
    Level 43: 60
    Level 53: 60
    Level 73: 60
    Level 83: 60
    Level 86: 800
    Level 93: 60

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited April 2019
    Okay yeah it totally worked. Wish I had done this sooner, I'm at 35 on the pass so I missed that first big pack. Still, the 800 at the end is nice. I hope I can get that far, lol.

Local H Jay on
    I was having trouble getting my Top 5 win with randoms this morning, so I tried again just now. Had an excellent win where we looted beyond belief.
    y8960ddhel8p.png

This is easily my ideal loadout (and right after this I found the Turbocharger for my Havoc). The Havoc buff is soo good I'm really happy with it. It feels nice to be able to down someone and still have a little ammo to work with for the next guy

https://youtu.be/6EZij3gMO_E

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    If all you care about is top5, just play Pathfinder, find where the circles are going to be, and just hide in obnoxious places.

Or anyone, really, but if that's your sole concern you can hide your way to success.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    If all you care about is top5, just play Pathfinder, find where the circles are going to be, and just hide in obnoxious places.

Or anyone, really, but if that's your sole concern you can hide your way to success.
    It might not be as consistent a strategy, but you can get to top five in a shorter period of time by killing 15 squads.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

It might not be as consistent a strategy, but you can get to top five in a shorter period of time by killing 15 squads.
    If your squad personally killed 15 other squads, that would put you in contention for the world record, so...

XNnw6Gk.jpg

If your squad personally killed 15 other squads, that would put you in contention for the world record, so...

Really you only have to kill like, 10 and then the rest should sort themselves out tbh

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Really you only have to kill like, 10 and then the rest should sort themselves out tbh

Actually you only have to kill the last squad to win.

steam_sig.png

And even then, if they get scared and hide outside the ring, you can nab a pacifist win

Really great day of Apex, got 3 wins and a shitload of XP/Kills. This clip is pretty wild, I ran into a room with three dudes and manage to kill all of them in the smoke, healing right in front of them without them realizing I was an enemy:
    https://youtu.be/QjdUFZijZsc

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This balance patch is good, it was necessary. I'm still really confused because one game I kept the Havoc over an R301 which just seems wrong.

What is this I don't even.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Hey, that happened to me last night! Dropped with two randos out of the way, skirted around the circle edges, and didn't fire a shot until we were in Top 3. Whole team had 4 kills at the end.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I mean, you don't even have kill them. They just need to die. The zone will do. It is technically possible to win without shooting at all.

Those folks that have tons of hours and kills into the game (so they obviously aren't learning the guns anymore) who still run towards the sound of gunfire instead of away.

I'm just thinking, uh, you all know this isn't deathmatch, right?

I still chase after them. Better to die as a team than to live all alone.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    I mean, you don't even have kill them. They just need to die. The zone will do. It is technically possible to win without shooting at all.

Those folks that have tons of hours and kills into the game (so they obviously aren't learning the guns anymore) who still run towards the sound of gunfire instead of away.

Well, getting the kills is exciting and fun. It's harder for sure, but I don't play games to play hide and seek. I play them to murder those weaker than me.

In a way, Battle Royale games are the purest form of deathmatch, since it's a match where death actually matters

Deathboxes are the best source of gear, and if you want to win odds are you're gonna have to kill two or three squads because it's real hard to not run into anyone for a whole match. If you're not getting kills when you can, you're going to end up undergeared for the fights you couldn't avoid, and running towards the sound of gunfire means you'll get into a fight where the enemies are distracted, weakened, and where you know where they are before they have a clue you're there.
    Though some of it's also just that wins isn't an inherently more valid statistic to chase than kills.

Eh, Wins are more fun for me to chase than Kills, because most other PVP shooters have kills as the primary mechanic. I like hunting a Win because not only does it feel more strategic than just "drop into Skulltown, hope to get a gun first," but it's also a different taste than just constant shooting and murder.

Not that shooting and murder aren't going to happen and be fun as part of it, but if I just wanted non-stop gunfights, I'd play a game that gives me that more directly.

Eh, Wins are more fun for me to chase than Kills, because most other PVP shooters have kills as the primary mechanic. I like hunting a Win because not only does it feel more strategic than just "drop into Skulltown, hope to get a gun first," but it's also a different taste than just constant shooting and murder.

Not that shooting and murder aren't going to happen and be fun as part of it, but if I just wanted non-stop gunfights, I'd play a game that gives me that more directly.
    Yeah, "wins isn't inherently better" cuts both ways. Just clarifying that even if you're going for win, it's good to be a little bit out for blood.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean that's bundled up in my general frustration that I am constantly have to make a choice: Keep up with my team, or actually loot some gear. I frequently lose fights because I spent the whole match chasing my team and end up essentially unarmed when the fights start to happen.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    I mean that's bundled up in my general frustration that I am constantly have to make a choice: Keep up with my team, or actually loot some gear. I frequently lose fights because I spent the whole match chasing my team and end up essentially unarmed when the fights start to happen.

I mean this sounds like you need people to play with who can communicate and take your time to strategize with. If only there were some kind of forum where you could find others to play with. It's a nice dream I suppose.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular

One thing that can help is to really focus on picking up and using grenades effectively. Most people who loot aggressively will still leave behind plenty of grenades, which are an incredibly powerful and important tool in this game.
    Most of the games I win, I win because I was the last person with a stack of grenades in their backpack. I can then remove pressure if a teammate gets downed, or pile on pressure if we down someone.

edited April 2019
    I always prioritize health and ammo over grenades.

And then I usually end up dying (or winning) having not used much of that ammo or health, when a grenade would have been rather helpful.

Don't be me.

Zombie Gandhi on
    Is there anything more satisfying than nailing a hit with an Arcstar?
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/local-h-jay/gif/AggravatingMammothFlyingfish

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Is there anything more satisfying than nailing a hit with an Arcstar?
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/local-h-jay/gif/AggravatingMammothFlyingfish

Wiping the last squad with nothing but arcstar sticks would be more satisfying...
    but I haven't done that.
    Yet.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Hopped on late last night to get my top 5. Land Hydro, shortly after both my teammates randomly disconnect, leaving me alone to try and survive. Luckily squads were getting smoked quick, and I was able to hang near the edge of the ring until a couple more squads died. Ended up top 3 mostly due to seeing a single player until I died.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited April 2019

I mean this sounds like you need people to play with who can communicate and take your time to strategize with. If only there were some kind of forum where you could find others to play with. It's a nice dream I suppose.

I appreciate the offer but I don't generally play on teams with folks I don't know IRL and I don't know anyone IRL that plays this game.

Which is fine! I shouldn't need to coerce others into playing with me, especially with the excellent ping system in place that entirely deprecates voice chat.

The real problem is this game has been out for months and months and it still only has trios. No solos or squads or duos or any casual modes at all. I feel like that should have been a painfully obviously issue and a dev priority, but instead they are working on new guns and fine tuning balance and season passes and other random things that are not modes.

It's is bizarre. Add a few modes in, and some affordable cosmetics that actually look good, and this game would be a license to print giant piles of money. I sometimes wonder if they'd heard of Fortnite and how absurdly well they are doing over there.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's been out for month and month, it came out on February 4th. What you're asking for is a non-trivial addition and I don't think they could have it ready to go now or even soon, unless they'd already been working on it for a while previously, and I don't get the impression anyone on their side expected the game to do this well this fast (and honestly how could they have?) so they were probably focused on getting the core thing good (and it's really good) for launch.

edited April 2019
    Peen wrote: »
    It's been out for month and month, it came out on February 4th. What you're asking for is a non-trivial addition and I don't think they could have it ready to go now or even soon, unless they'd already been working on it for a while previously, and I don't get the impression anyone on their side expected the game to do this well this fast (and honestly how could they have?) so they were probably focused on getting the core thing good (and it's really good) for launch.

That's fair. But its not so much about the output as it is about their priorities. One mode is just wildly insufficient. They shouldn't have even launched with only one mode. Trios specifically also seems like an extremely odd choice for the only mode to actually implement. The obvious thing would be to start with solos and work your way up from there.

I complain a lot, but I haven't actually stopped playing apex, so...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    All the time and development effort they put into the ping system and the respawn system and the voice to text system and you think solos is the obvious place to start?

edited April 2019
    I wanted solos a lot at the start but I'm not sure how balance would work in a solos version of this game. Some characters are so advantageous such as Pathfinder/Octane being able to get to areas others cannot. I quickly forsee it becoming all Pathfinders very quickly. The game works best with teammates. I can see a duos mode happening pretty easily but solos may require some reworking.

I think complaining that your random teammates won't play nice with your... Unique playstyle and then also refusing any help is perplexing but hey, you do you I suppose. We've had some truly fun games as group and even when it goes poorly, at least I'm playing with friendlies who don't ignore me.

Idk this game is not Fortnite and trying to shove it into that mold isn't fair I think

Local H Jay on
    edited April 2019
    The game is designed as a team and class based shooter. It's explicitly designed from the ground up to be a team. Everything from not being able to duplicate classes and rewarding you based on the longest living team member, down to the very fundamentals like the widely praised Ping and Respawn systems are because the game in its core is meant to be team based.

So no, starting with solo play rather than 3 person teams would have not been the right play at all, and would have distinguished it way less from its competition/progenitors.

I get that it maybe doesn't appeal if you don't want to play in teams, but then perhaps the other games in the genre that are solo friendly are what you're looking for. This game isn't that.

Zombie Gandhi on
    edited April 2019
    Don't misinterpret me: I doubt I'd actually play solos even if it existed. I don't really play the main modes of Fortnite at all... especially not now that Apex exists.

But I'm sure there are people out there who would. Assuming they get the balance right, which would I assume involve applying mode-specific nerfs and/or ability removals to get around their obvious fixation with trios.

I would, however, play a 30v30 or respawn-enabled or otherwise "casual" mode quite a lot if they would add one.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I do want solo mode and I don't think the abilities would really ruin it, though they might need some tweaking. For the most part everybody's abilities benefit themselves and they're designed to be able to fight.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Monkey, I hate to say it but you have a few times said "people play wrong when they X," and then you've been disagreed with by people who, at least according to them, are being very successful at playing. I think you need to adjust your playstyle, as it doesn't really suit the game, if you really want to improve.

That includes playing more aggressively, seeking out more fights, and also things like learning good drop stategy and learning how to loot extremely quickly without breaking stride.

Also, I don't want solo mode. This is the team game. It's what makes it good. If they do something solo it'll need to be it's own thing, like thunderdome with different gear and abilities changed and a different overall goal, which I'm not sure is a better use of resources than just more stuff for teams.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.