As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I am become Death, destroyer of Swedish Robots.

Tell me more (really, GMG has it on sale)

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

What if Dear Esther had guns and killer robots?

I should mention that it looks like a lot of people are having issues with the new patch that just released. It Works On My Machine™, but that's something to be aware of. I've had a ton of fun with it so far, but there is a little jank here and there - I've seen some instances of stuff like floating objects, foliage that clips through floors or walls, and the occasional rain effect on indoor floors. The inventory system is also kind of a pain in the ass - there are multiple ammo types for each weapon, and the game doesn't always consolidate items, so if your inventory is full or near full you'll have to do a lot of inventory tetris. It kind of feels like it's still in beta, to be honest.

I've got around 12 hours in it so far, and outside of a single crash during a multiplayer game I haven't had any serious problems. I'm running it on a 6600k with 16GB of RAM and an 8GB RX580 at 2560x1080 with everything maxed and the framerate floats around 60 with drops into the high 40s when a lot of stuff is going on. It's a very pretty game, the environment is gorgeous.

Right now my character looks like The Fonz with warpaint on his face, and I just killed a two story tall robot by setting a trap comprised of a pile of propane tanks on the ground, luring it over with 80s dance music blasting from a boombox, and then running behind a car and shooting a canister when the robot got close enough.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I'm begininng to think the romances in AssOdd aren't very good.

Kassandra has banged 3 women so far and nothing happens after. I was thinking at least one of them would be part of the main story, but of the three only one went on my ship. The other two either died or refused to deal with me further for the dumbest reason:
    I refused to kill her

So basically there's no reason to become attached to potential love interests.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    This sounds like standard procedure for murder hobos, yes.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    You're supposed to be screwing your way across the map, not forming emotional attachments. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @SmokeStacks did you do a victory dance to said 80s music after you killed the robot?

Luckily, I already own AssOdd
    oxzphsie6tb4.jpeg

• KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I was looking at the request list today, and @Moxiboxxi requested a bunch more things. However, I just realized this user signed up on April 13th and has has had exactly ZERO posts. So, before I shut them down I wanted to find out if this was someone's friend or something? I'm totally fine giving away a bunch of stuff if they've got a connection to PA and just never actively participated but if they are some rando who joined for free stuff I'm gonna have to stop the flow. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Finally broke my long run of not using Steam. Between uplay copies of Division 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Final Fantasy 14, and Ace Attorney on the switch (I didn't notice until it was too late the Ace was on PC as well) I just haven't been spending any time using Steam. But now that I've wrapped up much of the above for now I picked up Heaven's Vault last night and stayed up too late.
    It's neat so far. I hear there's some glitches but haven't run into anything yet. The travel system has complaints too and I can see how it would get old. The ambient conversation pop ups are a little odd. You just sort of choose between question or respond prompts now and then to move the talks along without a whole lot of context in what you're choosing to say in them, it more just triggering more talk in general. But then there's also dialogue options in more important conversations and I get the feeling these can have some impact on the plot branching. The art is different, I don't mind it, they definitely didn't want to animate models so instead it's like very low frame animation of yourself moving through an area with little afterimages trailing behind you. The couple of places I've explored so far have had a few little hidden things in them, every time I'm about to leave a place I hold off and end up finding a bunch more, so now I'm a bit paranoid about finding everything. Because you do want to find every bit of ancient text you can. That's the best part of whats in here so far is digging into the translations.
    Every time you find some ancient text you're given a prompt to fill in your best educated guess on what each of the words might mean. You usually have 2-4 options for what each word might be, so you try and use context to construct something that makes sense for that object or place. But it's still just an educated guess. But then you find something that has some of the same words on it, and if your choices still make sense there as well, and maybe in a third instance, it'll lock in as confirmed. It'd proven out enough that you feel confident that's what the word means. The words are also more pictographs/hieroglyphics (i don't know the proper usage here), so it's not like you're deciphering an alphabet, but you start to be able to see that the usage of certain symbols are repeated with similar meaning between them. Like if you learn the basic word for water and then the same smybols making up part of a larger word and one of your likely options is fish it can push you in that direction.
    So each time you find a new word you're also shown the words you've already seen that share similarities. Some of which you might be sure about and some that are just guesses.
    So that part has been the main draw for me. Learning more about the history of the cultures involved also helps inform the context of what you are translating.
    Here's one actual specific example from the game where the context made me realize my guess was way off.
    You find an old grave. There's a marker on it with two words. Your options on the first word is Past, Never, Always (something like that) you can see the word is similar to one you're sure about forever,so you can tell part of it represents time, the other symbol seems more like a stop or over. So always seems real unlikely, especially since you know forever already. i lean towards Never. The second word is sleep, return, or forget. I opt for Forget. My best guess is the grave marker says Never Forget. I get two steps away from it and the option to make a remark comes up so I do it. This person believed in reincarnation and to bury someone like this would be something you'd only do to your worst enemy. Ohhhhhh. Ok Never Return it is.

akajaybay on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

What if Dear Esther had guns and killer robots?

You had to say that. Now i must have this. Dear Esther is legit my favourite zen game. And this is by Avalanche so it was already high in thr buy list.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    So, I was looking at the request list today, and Moxiboxxi requested a bunch more things. However, I just realized this user signed up on April 13th and has has had exactly ZERO posts. So, before I shut them down I wanted to find out if this was someone's friend or something? I'm totally fine giving away a bunch of stuff if they've got a connection to PA and just never actively participated but if they are some rando who joined for free stuff I'm gonna have to stop the flow. Thanks!

Interesting. I'm always curious when we see indications of the extent to which this thread is watched by non-participants. And are they 'legit' lurkers who just read the thread and haven't joined or spoken up, or are they folks out on the Internet harvesting keys and games?

Like all the [code ][ /code] codes that get taken with no acknowledgement. Where do those go? For a while it seemed to be driven by folks encountering our group-only giveaways on Steamgifts. The volume of those is way, way down, though. So I don't think that's a big driver these days.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Heartbeat has a MBMBAM reference in it so you know it's made by quality people.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Heart beat is a delightful game.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpgDHWenb8

They are doing a Forager livestream, the devs are answering questions, and they are giving away keys :)

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Well here's a title I didn't expect to see getting a remake/remaster: XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1acwn93JcI

Trailer says PS4, but apparently it's for PC as well, like the original was. It was an adaptation of a Belgian comic book, rendered as a highly stylised cell-shaded FPS, and this was back in 2003 when cell-shading was much less ubiquitous than it is now. It also had David Duchovny sleep-walking through his performance as the central character, balanced out by Adam freaking West as an army general. Another thing it had was a frustratingly unsatisfying cliff-hanger ending, which I don't expect to get much better here.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Trailer says PS4, but apparently it's for PC as well, like the original was. It was an adaptation of a Belgian comic book, rendered as a highly stylised cell-shaded FPS, and this was back in 2003 when cell-shading was much less ubiquitous than it is now. It also had David Duchovny sleep-walking through his performance as the central character, balanced out by Adam freaking West as an army general. Another thing it had was a frustratingly unsatisfying cliff-hanger ending, which I don't expect to get much better here.

Yeah, this one came out of left field. I remember when GOG announced it was getting delisted on their service, giving people the opportunity to buy it before that happened. So of course I bought it.

Still haven't played it.

edited April 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @SmokeStacks did you do a victory dance to said 80s music after you killed the robot?

I did some popping and locking in celebration, yeah.

edit: oh wait you meant in the game

SmokeStacks on
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Iolo wrote: »
    Kendrik wrote: »
    So, I was looking at the request list today, and Moxiboxxi requested a bunch more things. However, I just realized this user signed up on April 13th and has has had exactly ZERO posts. So, before I shut them down I wanted to find out if this was someone's friend or something? I'm totally fine giving away a bunch of stuff if they've got a connection to PA and just never actively participated but if they are some rando who joined for free stuff I'm gonna have to stop the flow. Thanks!

Interesting. I'm always curious when we see indications of the extent to which this thread is watched by non-participants. And are they 'legit' lurkers who just read the thread and haven't joined or spoken up, or are they folks out on the Internet harvesting keys and games?

Like all the [code ][ /code] codes that get taken with no acknowledgement. Where do those go? For a while it seemed to be driven by folks encountering our group-only giveaways on Steamgifts. The volume of those is way, way down, though. So I don't think that's a big driver these days.

I really don't think people should use codes tags unless they are fine with 1 or 2 lurkers taking all of the keys. Because I am pretty sure that is the case with a lot of them. Can't be sure unless confirmed by admins but I would be shocked if this was not the case.

Isorn on
    Big Classy wrote: »
    You had to say that. Now i must have this. Dear Esther is legit my favourite zen game. And this is by Avalanche so it was already high in thr buy list.

It has four player co-op and smoke grenades.
    Isorn wrote: »
    I really don't think people should use codes tags unless they are fine with 1 or 2 lurkers taking all of the keys. Because I am pretty sure that is the case with a lot of them. Can't be sure unless confirmed by admins but I would be shocked if this was not the case.

This is why whenever I give stuff away I prefer to make it less anonymous so I at least know it didn't go to some Russian spy. For example, if I wanted to give away an extra code or whatever I might post something like "The first person who PMs me a picture of an explosion gets a copy of Just Cause 3".

In a related note, the first person who PMs me a picture of an explosion gets a copy of Just Cause 3.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, this one came out of left field. I remember when GOG announced it was getting delisted on their service, giving people the opportunity to buy it before that happened. So of course I bought it.

Still haven't played it.

I played it when it originally came out, and still have my copy somewhere. Can't quite believe that was 16 years ago. Hell, that was the year Steam launched.
    Isorn wrote: »

Yeah, I've got some unneeded codes for decent games from Humble monthlies etc. that I've been leary of posting up here with the tags like I usually do for bits from bundles because I don't just want to throw them to lurkers.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    It takes a bit more effort, but it's also fun to start poaching wishlists before offering them out.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You can always put a message into the code box that asks the person to PM you a message to get the code. Or has that also been abused? I often forget to do that though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    You can always put a message into the code box that asks the person to PM you a message to get the code. Or has that also been abused? I often forget to do that though.

People don't often do that. Even the little minigames people put on for a giveaway often have anemic participation

• FlorinFlorin Registered User regular

Oh wow, I played it only a few months ago, I guess I should have waited. The game is clunky here and there but it's fun, it has everything you'd want in fps spy game.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It takes a bit more effort, but it's also fun to start poaching wishlists before offering them out.

If I have extra codes for games for whatever reason, I always go search for the games on Steam and see who is wanting it before I give them away, because I'd much rather they go to someone more likely to actually play them.

Speaking of play, I've been playing a lot of longer games and the result is that I haven't beaten a game in a while. Witcher 3, FFXV, even Shadow of War is pretty long if you do every mission (including the DLC ones). It feels odd after a lot of gains in the backlog clearing, but I have to also remember I did clear out a whole lot of the shorter games in my library, so now I'm on to the multi-month gameplay.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    XIII was a better Bourne movie than any of the Bourne movies.

I am geeked.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    What? How have I not had Portal? I've played it, but I guess it wasn't ever on pc? I consider that impressive.
    suj2gq4pd5ys.jpg
    Almost enough to make me reject it, keep the streak going. But I wouldn't do that to @Stormwatcher

Thank you for Portal! (Seriously, how did I not have this already?)

steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    What? How have I not had Portal? I've played it, but I guess it wasn't ever on pc? I consider that impressive.
    suj2gq4pd5ys.jpg
    Almost enough to make me reject it, keep the streak going. But I wouldn't do that to @Stormwatcher

This was a triumph...for Stormwatcher to find the one person here who didn't own Portal.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    suj2gq4pd5ys.jpg

This was a triumph...for Stormwatcher to find the one person here who didn't own Portal.

tenor.gif?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And this day my heart grew up three sizes... will all the slots I freed on my steam inventory.

Also, the person who created the TrashBot steam account deserves a Nobel Prize.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    https://www.indiegala.com/one-punch-bundle-bundle

One Finger Death Punch 2 in a bundle for almost half it's regular price, 2 days after release. What the f-

I'm assuming IndieGala is one of the legit sites and I'm not accidentally screwing devs if I buy from there, right? It's been a while since I bought a bundle that wasn't from humble.

camo_sig2.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

One Finger Death Punch 2 in a bundle for almost half it's regular price, 2 days after release. What the f-

I'm assuming IndieGala is one of the legit sites and I'm not accidentally screwing devs if I buy from there, right? It's been a while since I bought a bundle that wasn't from humble.

As far as I know they're legitimate. Their specialty is bundles full of games rated Mixed.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Yeah, they're legit.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Might be worth adding stuff like that into the OP- to direct people to bundle sites with legitimate games and not some grey-market garbage with stolen/hacked keys.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Do grey market key resellers really go to the trouble of putting together bundles?

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    XIII is better than NOLF

steam_sig.png
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    So do any of you play Oxygen Not Included? I’ve been playing and I like it. I have issues transitioning out of the starting biome though. Read a few of the better guides but somehow my files just aren’t as efficient and I end up battling a slowly building carbon dioxide issue before I can really get set up to break into slime biomes I think. Maybe I’m just timid about it. Currently I’m trying to set up my water reclamation for a washroom but my dupes take forever to build down in CO2 filled regions.

It’s a good game, I’d like to hear any other strategies you use. The game just had its quality of life 3 update that overhauled jobs into skills and it’s coming out of early access in May.

steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »

Oh wow, I played it only a few months ago, I guess I should have waited. The game is clunky here and there but it's fun, it has everything you'd want in fps spy game.

I played XIII back in college. Fantastic game! Although I feel like it teed itself up for a sequel that never came, which was a bummer.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    XIII is better than NOLF

Them's fighting words. :wink:

I actually haven't played XIII, but I remember it coming out back in the day. Might have to check it out, belatedly.

This discussion has been closed.