As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I would love a Shaolin Monks style adventure game in the MK universe, maybe do a buddy / odd couple adventure with Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hello Dear G+T Kombatants

the PA forums have a fighting game Discord that we use for discussion and matchmaking, which was born out of the SE++ fighting game thread

since this is probably the last major fighting game release of this console generation I thought I would just repost the link here

We have a pretty healthy PC crew who will probably be skirmishing weekly, but anyone is welcome

https://discord.gg/CKDYpuJ

Even us dirty and unwashed Xbox heathens?

No one loves us.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If Mortal Kombat got made into a TV show (again), there'd need to be a never ending stream of mooks to bust fatalities on. Especially if you get a budget and make it a Netflix or HBO exclusive that allows for the good gorey make-up. Fat chance with WB involved, though.

Other than some actual deaths of key players in the MK mythos as like, mid-season or season finale cliffhangers, or to forward their character development (Bi-Han Sub-Zero dies so his brother takes up the mantle, human Sektor "dies" so he becomes a tekunin, etc.), you need throwaway cast like random Tarkatans or Outworld riff-raff or I feel like a lot of the show loses some appeal. You can have everyone fight and bruise each other, but you won't be getting great fatal blows or shadow kicks through the chest on main players like Jax or Raiden.

EDIT: Fixed some repeated sentiments.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I know there was that very short lived YouTube show that tried to bring MK to reality (ex: baraka was that psychotic plastic surgeon I think), but wasn't there another live action MK show years ago? They had the cartoon too besides the movies and of course a variety of comics.

It's weird to think about MK having a finale. I've been playing the games a significant portion of my life. I kinda think I'm in the camp of if the mainstays disappear I don't know if I'd pick up the next one. Not to say that shouldn't happen or that I don't want something like that to occur for the people who would want it. I kinda don't know

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    There was the Legacy series of short films. Not sure if they are online but you can get it on blu-ray. Cary Tagawa reprised his role as Shang Tsung for one of them. They were kinda... so-so. I liked the Raiden in a mental hospital one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    MK Legacy was very original X-Men movie, while trying to look more like a Nolan Batman film...at least in the first season. A lot of...’let’s find the closest, quasi-plausible explanation for this character that could also live in a major but nonspecific American city with too many skyscrapers.’

It wasn’t a bad experiment to try.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    The Mortal Kombat theme song was like the first thing I ever downloaded on Napster. This remix makes me happy.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Hopefully this remix is the end kredits theme song or something.

• BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    I know there was that very short lived YouTube show that tried to bring MK to reality (ex: baraka was that psychotic plastic surgeon I think), but wasn't there another live action MK show years ago? They had the cartoon too besides the movies and of course a variety of comics.

It's weird to think about MK having a finale. I've been playing the games a significant portion of my life. I kinda think I'm in the camp of if the mainstays disappear I don't know if I'd pick up the next one. Not to say that shouldn't happen or that I don't want something like that to occur for the people who would want it. I kinda don't know

Mortal Kombat: Conquest was a thing like 20 years ago for one TV season. It followed Kung Lao fighting some dudes and had the female terminator before she was the female terminator.

steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hey, here's a game. What (non licensed) character who has only appeared in one game (MKT and MK:Armageddon don't count) would you like to see come back as a DLC character. I think the list would be

Chameleon
    Khameleon
    Kai
    Fujin
    Reiko
    Jarek
    Meat
    Nitara
    Mavado
    Hsu Hao
    Drahmin
    Moloch
    Mokap
    Blaze
    Shujinko
    Ashrah
    Hotaru
    Darrius
    Dairou
    Havik
    Kira
    Kobra
    Onaga
    Sareena
    Ferra/Torr
    Kung Jin
    Takeda

Undead Scottsman on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I really liked Takeda and Kung Jin but it would feel like a waste to put them as DLC

If they continue the guest characters trend it would be nice to finally get Spawn

I'm simple, I just want all the ninjas

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes.

I always thought the oni were a legit idea for MK. The netherrealm can’t all be sorcerers and angry dead people. Drahmin’s whole mask and metal fist were a cool setup. The flies and stuff less so. It wouldn’t take much work to reinvent him, sort of like how they fixed Quan Chi just by having him take off his shirt.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey, here's a game. What (non licensed) character who has only appeared in one game (MKT and MK:Armageddon don't count) would you like to see come back as a DLC character.

Out of your list: Hsu Hao, Moloch, or Sareena would make me happy.

If I can play as anyone in this upcoming game though? Either Bo' Rai Cho or Motaro.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Probably Drahmin, because there's a brutish nature to his gnarliness that the current gnarly-looking MK11 characters lack.

I'm pretty sure the head that Sub-Zero freezes in one of his intros is Meat's.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Nitara, sareena, onaga, havik, drahmin. I guess you have to include moloch with the last one? I'm fine with new kharacters as they have done pretty well as of late introducing worthwhile newbies

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    haha holy shit, WB France got Christopher Lambert to be in the MK11 commercial there

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Man Christopher Lambert has the best laugh.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hey, here's a game. What (non licensed) character who has only appeared in one game (MKT and MK:Armageddon don't count) would you like to see come back as a DLC character. I think the list would be

Chameleon
    Khameleon
    Kai
    Fujin
    Reiko
    Jarek
    Meat
    Nitara
    Mavado
    Hsu Hao
    Drahmin
    Moloch
    Mokap
    Blaze
    Shujinko
    Ashrah
    Hotaru
    Darrius
    Dairou
    Havik
    Kira
    Kobra
    Onaga
    Sareena
    Ferra/Torr
    Kung Jin
    Takeda

I'll always have a soft spot for Shujinko because throughout the course of Deception's Konquest mode you get to see him grow and develop each of his techniques. I think that's a really underutilized feature in any fighting game that has a create-a-character mode, it just helped a great deal with my investment in the character. I also always liked the visual design of Mavado, definitely something there that could be developed into a stronger character I think.

Halfmex on

Chameleon
    Khameleon
    Kai
    Fujin
    Reiko
    Jarek
    Meat
    Nitara
    Mavado
    Hsu Hao
    Drahmin
    Moloch
    Mokap
    Blaze
    Shujinko
    Ashrah
    Hotaru
    Darrius
    Dairou
    Havik
    Kira
    Kobra
    Onaga
    Sareena
    Ferra/Torr
    Kung Jin
    Takeda

Lets see... I'd go with...

Fujin
    Nitara
    Ashrah
    Havik
    Maybe Sareena

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    If Mortal Kombat got made into a TV show (again), there'd need to be a never ending stream of mooks to bust fatalities on. Especially if you get a budget and make it a Netflix or HBO exclusive that allows for the good gorey make-up. Fat chance with WB involved, though.

Other than some actual deaths of key players in the MK mythos as like, mid-season or season finale cliffhangers, or to forward their character development (Bi-Han Sub-Zero dies so his brother takes up the mantle, human Sektor "dies" so he becomes a tekunin, etc.), you need throwaway cast like random Tarkatans or Outworld riff-raff or I feel like a lot of the show loses some appeal. You can have everyone fight and bruise each other, but you won't be getting great fatal blows or shadow kicks through the chest on main players like Jax or Raiden.

EDIT: Fixed some repeated sentiments.

So, basically what you are saying is it needs to be a TV-MA version of Power Rangers. I'm all on board for that.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    edited April 2019
    People who got the game early have indicated that the krypt contents are randomized for everyone. So you’ll keep unlocking stuff you don’t necessarily care about and you’ll like it! Unless you want to spend premium currency of course.

Ceno on
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    People who got the game early have indicated that the krypt contents are randomized for everyone. So you’ll keep unlocking stuff you don’t necessarily care about and you’ll like it! Unless you want to spend premium currency of course.

Normally I'd furrow my eyebrows at this, but there are so many characters I'm wanting to play I'll be happy to get whatever the game wants to throw at me.

Seriously, this roster has me saying "what is a 'main'"?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    It must be quite a challenge to come up with a truly new character for a Mortal Kombat game these days. I mean that-they have enough material that I could imagine them having the stones to never make a new character again, just new mechanics.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    How dumb is it to buy this game just for the story

tbh I did it for Injustice 2 so what am I worried about

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

tbh I did it for Injustice 2 so what am I worried about

I did that with MKvsDC, MK9 and MKX.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    not dumb at all, the last few MK and Injustice games have all had really solid well realised story modes.
    its why I got it.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I am buying this almost exclusively for the story.

I enjoy fighting games, but I love Mortal Kombat's story/lore.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah I haven't played a fighting game competitively since I got older and no longer had the time to put into being anything other than a punching bag for teenagers online. Story and fighting against the AI for me forever.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I got out of fighting games before they had online matches. So I won't be going back to fighting AI, I'll just be playing it the way I always played fighting games.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hell yes. I'm glad they were able to use that music. I'd heard in the past NRS was not allowed to use anything from the movie for some stupid reason.

I mean, the song isn't from the movie any more than Johnny B. Goode is from Back to the Future, so it shouldn't be an issue-- for that reason, at least.

Phelous on YouTube has been reviewing all this stuff for a while. He's done both movies, I think the direct-to-video animated prequel, all of Conquest, and he's most of the way through the animated series, Defenders of the Realm.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    It’s easy to forget just how huge a media franchise Mortal Kombat got to be right around MK3. That pre-Internet period when arcades were also still a thing in America, when the Playstation was just an unproven, up and coming CD-based game system during that weird time where seemingly any company that had ever built a disk drive or a TV set thought they could get in on that sweet Nintendo/Sega money just by showing up.

It’s weird how most of the trappings of that MK success ( cartoon! action figures! highlanderesque live action show! ) were a big deal then but these days are almost perfunctory. I’m not even sure what contemporary marker would need to be to be equivalent to back then. All the suggestions I can conjure up simply sound too outlandish.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Hey now, Internet existed when arcades existed! I still have fond memories of watching someone get kicked out of an arcade by the owner because he brought in printed out GameFAQS so we'd know how to do all the moves / combos in Killer Instinct when it was new....

His business failed, obviously.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Hey now, Internet existed when arcades existed! I still have fond memories of watching someone get kicked out of an arcade by the owner because he brought in printed out GameFAQS so we'd know how to do all the moves / combos in Killer Instinct when it was new....

His business failed, obviously.

I used to play MK3 in the arcades down the shore. People definitely had move/fatality sheets for sale for 50 cents. I actually might still have one of them saved for nostalgia purposes.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    It must be quite a challenge to come up with a truly new character for a Mortal Kombat game these days. I mean that-they have enough material that I could imagine them having the stones to never make a new character again, just new mechanics.

There's some overlap with Injustice as well.
    Jade seems shares some moves with IJ1 Nightwing.
    Cetrion has a little Starfire

I'm sure there's more, but with all the characters they're making, who can fault them.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Preliminary character design meeting for MK 12: "...So, what color of ninja have we not had yet?"

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Oh snap Jade plays like Nightwing?? Hell yeah new main

see317 wrote: »

Preliminary character design meeting for MK 12: "...So, what color of ninja have we not had yet?"

It’s more like, “Ok, what thing can be a character gimmick that we haven’t done before?”

Like, short of a werewolf-like transformation where a fighter can change into a monster that’s old-school Goro-like in damage reduction and attack power, I’m not sure what they could try to introduce. Even that idea’s like 70% Shang Tsung on a good day.

Maybe a giant flightless bird? Like I have to go that far. I have to reach for Bloody Roar ideas to rip off.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

So we can expect a super-gay rainbow ninja

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

So we can expect a super-gay rainbow ninja

No, we already had Chameleon.
    https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Chameleon

Not sure about the gay part, but he's definitely got "Rainbow Ninja" covered.
    4c7imoahuivx.gif

see317 on