Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

1232425262729»

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 6
    V1m, a noob, asks for guidance, advice and tips on upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 to 19.04 when it goes final later this month.

V1m on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    Pretty sure all you have to do is update and you're good to go, but I'm currently using Manjaro, which is a rolling release distro.

I've just realized that this comment probably isn't very useful to you, @V1m. Sorry about that.

Something used to be here. It's gone now.
    No actually that's pretty much what I did to go from 18.04 to 18.10. Shut down all apps, ran the updater, let it do it's thing, rebooted. Worked perfectly.

• ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    on occasion the do-release-upgrade has failed for one reason or another for me. In these instances I'm still able to get to a tty terminal and basically finish the upgrade.

The thing about the non-LTS releases is that unless they're putting something in there I actively want, I don't bother with them. They largely feel like beta releases of what Ubuntu can be, and never is.

steam_sig.png
    Aridhol
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    august wrote: »
    Trying stick with Antergos for a while. Any of you arch heads know what the best way to update an Arch-based system with some AUR packages currently is? Right now I'm just running "yay" without any arguments and it seems to work fine?

Bit late but I've been doing the same.

Regarding Antergos, it is a nice slick way to not have to go through the hassle of setting up Arch from scratch. I am still feel tension between how I want to setup a system and how the Arch people do. Basically I see most ad-hoc customization and configuration as waste, I'd much rather have a system with sane workable defaults then a system that allows heavy customization. Actually it may be tension with most of the Linux world.

Ironically my mentality comes from some limited sys admin stuff I've done in the past which quickly evolved to my thinking away from customizing servers by hand due to it not scaling. I've heard the mentality summed up as treating servers like cattle versus pets. I also want to treat my desktop systems like cattle. Any configuration I can't easily check into a git repo feels like a waste of time to me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Trying stick with Antergos for a while. Any of you arch heads know what the best way to update an Arch-based system with some AUR packages currently is? Right now I'm just running "yay" without any arguments and it seems to work fine?

Regarding Antergos, it is a nice slick way to not have to go through the hassle of setting up Arch from scratch. I am still feel tension between how I want to setup a system and how the Arch people do. Basically I see most ad-hoc customization and configuration as waste, I'd much rather have a system with sane workable defaults then a system that allows heavy customization. Actually it may be tension with most of the Linux world.

Ironically my mentality comes from some limited sys admin stuff I've done in the past which quickly evolved to my thinking away from customizing servers by hand due to it not scaling. I've heard the mentality summed up as treating servers like cattle versus pets. I also want to treat my desktop systems like cattle. Any configuration I can't easily check into a git repo feels like a waste of time to me.

I really like what Fedora Silverblue is doing. The entire system (except for etc) is immutable and all user applications are installed as Flatpaks. Any extra system packages you install exist as a layer distinct from the base system, and if an OS upgrade goes wrong you can downgrade to the exact previous state of the system.

I'm not running it on my machine right now; it's still bit wonky. You have to install any development tools you need in a dedicated container, and any system upgrades/layer customizations require a reboot. But I've experienced botched distro upgrades before, and it seems like Silverblue would make them a thing of the past.

UselesswarriorEntaru
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit At the edge of spacetime lies a path with no end.Registered User regular
    I finally did it, on Friday night.

I came home after a long week at the lab, and was getting ready to start getting my data organized for analysis when my trusty Windows machine failed to even spin the fans when I pushed the power button. Further tests confirmed the PSU was a-ok, so it's toast.

I got my old gaming desktop out, put Ubuntu on it, and holy crap, why didn't I do this before. I even played a bit of Doom today.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    ThawmusV1m
    Frem wrote: »

I really like what Fedora Silverblue is doing. The entire system (except for etc) is immutable and all user applications are installed as Flatpaks. Any extra system packages you install exist as a layer distinct from the base system, and if an OS upgrade goes wrong you can downgrade to the exact previous state of the system.

I'm not running it on my machine right now; it's still bit wonky. You have to install any development tools you need in a dedicated container, and any system upgrades/layer customizations require a reboot. But I've experienced botched distro upgrades before, and it seems like Silverblue would make them a thing of the past.

NixOS was trying to do something similar as well. It looked interesting but it seemed like there was a real steep learning curve there.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I finally did it, on Friday night.

I came home after a long week at the lab, and was getting ready to start getting my data organized for analysis when my trusty Windows machine failed to even spin the fans when I pushed the power button. Further tests confirmed the PSU was a-ok, so it's toast.

I got my old gaming desktop out, put Ubuntu on it, and holy crap, why didn't I do this before. I even played a bit of Doom today.

If you're experience was like mine, it was like trying to boot your way through a door, only it wasn't locked or even on the latch.

Purposely set aside a whole weekend for :learningcurve:

40 minutes later, Steam instealled and playing a game.

ThawmusSoggybiscuit
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    I had the good fortune to be learning linux because I had been promoted to internal IT and all they use is linux, at the same time that I was exploring using it for a gaming machine at home.

It has never stopped being rewarding for me. Sometimes my friends get annoyed that a game they like isn't available to me, but for most things I can find a way to still get it done, and if I can't, there's always a new game they want to play. Just give them a week.

steam_sig.png
    V1mSoggybiscuitDizzenDescendant X
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    I first ran Linux in 96 with Slackware 96.

I saw the book+CD in the Barnes and Noble and I had to have it!

I used to hang out at a friend's house and while the others were lan gaming he and I would be doing weird shit on our Linux installs.

I really have no interest in ever running another OS.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    JimboAridholThawmusDescendant XDarkewolfe
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    n16bgs1vexv21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3f140099830a407b7230ee2f8fcc565bac995e22

DDLLLLDL - Bottom in November
    WWDWDWWWWDWWWWLDWWW - Premiers in April
    WW - Champions in May

augustoldmankenDescendant XDarkewolfeUselesswarriorKetBraDizzen
    Entaru wrote: »
    I first ran Linux in 96 with Slackware 96.

I saw the book+CD in the Barnes and Noble and I had to have it!

I used to hang out at a friend's house and while the others were lan gaming he and I would be doing weird shit on our Linux installs.

I really have no interest in ever running another OS.

You and I have a similar origin story, though I think it was around 98 and I used a site that print distros to a disc.

Sad thing is I pretty much exclusively use macOS nowadays.