As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bothered with Leon A and just done Leon B after finishing Claire A. I thought Leon B would be a much more condensed experience compared to Leon A, so I did A first to make sure I got to see everything. I was totally wrong.

Still, got the true ending, and all in all, it's probably unseated RE4 as my favorite game in the series.

Ending
    But yeah, that ending was awkward.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Leon can't marry Ada
    He needs to get it on with Claire to save the Redfield bloodline

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Finished Claire A S+ Hardcore, very fun run. I haven't yet gotten to the B scenarios, might just do them with infinite guns to keep things really leisurely.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Just finished RE7. Fantastic game, shot almost to the top of my list. It's just deluged in atmosphere from start to finish.

wVEsyIc.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Leon can't marry Ada

Oh you dont know about Albert William Valentine-Redfield?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Between doing the less than 60 handgun bullets No Way Out Challenge

"https://youtu.be/tdpUuXLsM7E"

And getting all the main game records

I've fully 100%'d re2make which is nice

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The 60 bullets challenge is something I'd like to do at some point.

Tube wrote: »
    The 60 bullets challenge is something I'd like to do at some point.

It seems feasible if a bit dependant on luck

It's definitely luck dependent and managing the exploding tank zombies on getting them to drop them in the right spots

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ghost Survivors is not fun. I didn't expect more survival time romps.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Just play on the easy mode. There nothing unlocked by it.

Also bought the rocket launcher and such. No regrets

cj iwakura wrote: »

Just play on the easy mode. There nothing unlocked by it.

Also bought the rocket launcher and such. No regrets

I guess I expected more story driven campaigns, not 'you are x, go do y, the end'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Luckily it's free. Hopefully the next DLC won't be all survivor stories.

They’re great for what they are but yeah, I wanted stories too.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I picked this up a few weeks ago when it was on sale on PSN. I’ve been having a great time with the main game and almost done with my first run as Leon. I’ve even got legitimately spooked by a bunch of things even though I’ve known about Mr. X and I played the original years ago. Can’t wait to try all the different scenarios.

steam_sig.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Easily the best game of the year for me so far, kind of sad the discussion around it has died down.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Knife damage being tied to FPS has kind of ruined the speedrun for a lot of people.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Knife damage being tied to FPS has kind of ruined the speedrun for a lot of people.

Yeah it would be nice if Capcom would patch that.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If they patch it the outcry from the PC gamers would be louder than any gratitude.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm on the PC and it seems a perfectly good idea to me, since it's a bug and basically cheating to use. The game is really really good without the crutch of a bugged weapon, so it's hardly a necessity to enjoy the game.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Eh, most games with loading times get separate PC and console speedrun categories anyway, nobody's going to complain that fast travel in a game runs faster on PC.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Finished my first Leon A run last night. Was really fun! Got a C rank with 45 saves and a time of about 8:30.

Started Claire B today, and hooooly shit that is much harder. I’m 1 1/2 hours in and I might restart. I’ve used up all my handgun bullets and have ver little healing left. I also just realized I could have gotten the weapon locker key much sooner. I got all the medallions but that took so much out of me. Who knew dropping Mr. X in right near the beginning so you can’t take your time to deal with enemies would mess you up so much.

Also what is the general consensus on using previously acquired knowledge to open up safes and lockers? My first time through I stayed away from looking stuff up online, but now that I beat it I figure if learned it before it now is fair game. I noticed they changed a few things so I’m not looking those up.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Honestly, these games are basically designed so that you can use what you learned previously in prior runs, which is exactly why things like the safe combinations don't change. Your first playthrough is supposed to be one particular kind of experience, but subsequent playthroughs are meant to go faster and easier because of the things you already know.

The A/B run situation is a little different, but even then it's mostly just to put all the game content in the playthrough while also reducing the "tutorial" time. Past a certain point, it's almost identical anyway so there's not much point in waiting to see differences.

If you're going for S ranks, it's virtually a given that you just magically know the combination to every safe you come across. And which gun are you using for a handgun? B runs give you two, your regular one and the bonus one which uses different ammo.
    B runs get rid of regular handgun ammo in the field, so you have to create them all yourself.

But yeah, once you're through the station there's very little difference between the A and B runs, just a couple of puzzle solutions. The big differences after that will be the Claire/Leon exclusive stuff.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally playing Resident Evil 7.

I'm 80 percent of the way in so there's still the possibility it could whiff the ending, but it's absolutely fascinating how Capcom went from the bloated, bastardized mess of 6 to something so focused, pared-down and genuinely terrifying.

At any rate, is any of the DLC good?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I loved all the dlc except the free one

cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm 80 percent of the way in so there's still the possibility it could whiff the ending, but it's absolutely fascinating how Capcom went from the bloated, bastardized mess of 6 to something so focused, pared-down and genuinely terrifying.

The last little bit of the game is probably my least favorite part of 7. So keep that in mind lol. Still doesn't really sour my opinion of the game though.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Leon can't marry Ada

But Tyrion, she's too stronk!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    "https://youtu.be/bA-08v22IMw" I broke a million points in RE5 Mercs No Mercy for the Ancient Ruins

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Huh. My brother and I still play RE5 Mercs on xbox. We managed to crack 400k at one point. Maybe we need to get the PC version...

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm done with Claire's run. Leon's run is, well, a nightmare. An ocean of zombies, and inconvenient initial rest area, and early introduction to Mr. X...its really overwhelming. And Leon is going from Fine to Danger at the first nom despite his stupid blue outfit.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Haha, I was wondering if No Mercy had a finite enemy count--why wouldn't it?

I've been playing RE5 courtesy of Xbox Gamepass (I hate subscriptions, but it's hard to argue with 3 months for $1)--unsurprisingly, I lost my ability to beat normal Mercenaries mode. Gradually working my way back--as before, Business and Fairy Tale Sheva are the easiest to get S ranks with.

urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The last little bit of the game is probably my least favorite part of 7. So keep that in mind lol. Still doesn't really sour my opinion of the game though.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you. And it absolutely defies any describable logic that
    any group would retain the name "Umbrella" after it became synonymous with unleashing a biochemical nightmare that killed an entire town. It would be like naming a branch of the Marines "The Taliban" after 9/11.

But it really doesn't stop RE7 from being an amazing achievement.

Kinda feels a little rushed to me. But that's the nature of the business I suppose.

urahonky wrote: »
    Kinda feels a little rushed to me. But that's the nature of the business I suppose.

In this case I'd guess the developers didn't trust that
    Redfield showing up would be enough of a connection to the rest of the series, so they had to shoehorn in the Umbrella thing for maximum impact. I'm fine with them being remnants of Umbrella wanting to make up for past sins and do good for the world, but they could have picked literally any other name.

Ah well, minor quibble for an otherwise great game.

• Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    Easily the best game of the year for me so far, kind of sad the discussion around it has died down.

It's absolutely fantastic, but I have two main problems:
    1) The over-reliance on darkness and the flashlight to create unpredictability and keep enemies liable to surprise you in a further reaching FoV. It shoots the mark past "moody" to "downright suffocating" to the point it puts me off from playing as much as I'd really like, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I'd like it a lot more if it was something scripted to only happen a handful of times in certain areas with downed power or sudden blackouts, like, "Oh shit, a flashlight part"--not the norm.

2) Zombie patterns in general, primarily how they have this weird gravity toward you to make up for a lack of tank controls; a sort of compound issue with zombie behavior, they really love to crowd doorways like back closets at a surprise party if they ever chase you out of a room altogether. Multiple times I had to squander a grenade or explosive round to efficiently dispatch a cluster of zombies because they were bound to the doorway like crackheads huddled up in the breezeway of the projects at 2 am.

I agree completely it's the best damn game out in a long time, but it has issues with a lot of the team seeming like they really wanted to make the game a lot more faithful to the original but had to retrofit core design elements to a more modern approach.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So RE4 hits Switch in a few days. Any word on how aiming will work? I would love if they kept the Wii style aiming using gyro controls.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    I'm on the PC and it seems a perfectly good idea to me, since it's a bug and basically cheating to use. The game is really really good without the crutch of a bugged weapon, so it's hardly a necessity to enjoy the game.

Speed running is often about abusing the hell out of bugs.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    New Resident Evil multiplayer 4v1 announced! Looks like PS4 exclusive
    https://youtu.be/LJi9_HLLV9s

This discussion has been closed.